K3 upgrade to K3S question

gt-i
Hello list,

I've purchased a used K3 S/N in the 3ks, and plan to apply some of the
K3S upgrade options.
Any experiences, hints or do's and don'ts to tell for me?
I'm using the K3 mainly for HF contesting, VHF with an external
transverter and some DX chasing.
tu es 73
Gernot, DF5RF

Re: K3 upgrade to K3S question

Bill Frantz
There are two upgrade issues to consider:

(1) The recommended modifications to bring your K3 up to the
latest engineering level. Check
<http://www.elecraft.com/K3/k3_app_notes.htm> for what you may
need and how to install it.

(2) The upgrades to install the new K3S upgrade boards. The big
win here is the KSYN3A board. It will improve your receive and
fast CW break in. The KXV3B board adds a second preamp for 12,
10, and 6 meters. The KIO3B 3-board set installs an internal
"sound card" in the K3 for computer interface of digital modes.
It also replaces the RS-232 connection with a USB connection.

It is quite easy to install all three upgrade in a K3. Doing
them one at a time will be less confusing, but if you have a
good idea of how things in the K3 are connected together it is
possible to install them all at once. I, and my K3 survived the experience.

73 Bill AE6JV

On 3/11/17 at 2:57 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

>I've purchased a used K3 S/N in the 3ks, and plan to apply some of the K3S upgrade options.
>Any experiences, hints or do's and don'ts to tell for me?
>I'm using the K3 mainly for HF contesting, VHF with an external transverter and some DX chasing.
>tu es 73
>Gernot, DF5RF

Re: K3 upgrade to K3S question

Gernot,

When changing the synthesizers, the major concern is dropping the
lockwashers behind the existing mounting screws.
To avoid that, loosen the screws almost all the way
but not quite out of their threads.  Then tilt the board toward the rear
and push the lockwashers as far onto the screws as possible.
Then completely unscrew the remaining threads.
Grasp the board (with the screws still through it) and pull straight upward.

For all the other steps of installing the options, follow the instructions.

On 3/11/2017 5:57 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I've purchased a used K3 S/N in the 3ks, and plan to apply some of the
> K3S upgrade options.
> Any experiences, hints or do's and don'ts to tell for me?
> I'm using the K3 mainly for HF contesting, VHF with an external
> transverter and some DX chasing.
> tu es 73
> Gernot, DF5RF

Re: K3 upgrade to K3S question

Doug Person-4
It is easy to do and well worth the small amount of time and the cost.

Doug -- K0DXV

On 3/11/2017 3:57 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I've purchased a used K3 S/N in the 3ks, and plan to apply some of the
> K3S upgrade options.
> Any experiences, hints or do's and don'ts to tell for me?
> I'm using the K3 mainly for HF contesting, VHF with an external
> transverter and some DX chasing.
> tu es 73
> Gernot, DF5RF

Re: K3 upgrade to K3S question

Bill W4ZV
gt-i wrote
I've purchased a used K3 S/N in the 3ks, and plan to apply some of the
K3S upgrade options.
IMHO the most significant upgrades are:

1.  KSYN3A Synthesizer (already mentioned).
2.  Rev. D DSP Board Update

The latter has been included in S/N approximately 3626 and above.  Hopefully your 3k S/N is above!

http://www.elecraft.com/K3/mods/dsp_rev_c_information.htm

73,  Bill  W4ZV

Re: K3 upgrade to K3S question

Ed W0YK
The KIO3B has both RS232 and USB.

All 3 upgrades are easy to do together.  Now takes me less than 30 minutes total for 2 KSYN3As, KXV3A and KIO3B.

73,
Ed W0YK
On Mar 11, 2017 4:41 PM, Bill Frantz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There are two upgrade issues to consider:
>
> (1) The recommended modifications to bring your K3 up to the
> latest engineering level. Check
> <http://www.elecraft.com/K3/k3_app_notes.htm> for what you may
> need and how to install it.
>
> (2) The upgrades to install the new K3S upgrade boards. The big
> win here is the KSYN3A board. It will improve your receive and
> fast CW break in. The KXV3B board adds a second preamp for 12,
> 10, and 6 meters. The KIO3B 3-board set installs an internal
> "sound card" in the K3 for computer interface of digital modes.
> It also replaces the RS-232 connection with a USB connection.
>
> It is quite easy to install all three upgrade in a K3. Doing
> them one at a time will be less confusing, but if you have a
> good idea of how things in the K3 are connected together it is
> possible to install them all at once. I, and my K3 survived the experience.
>
> 73 Bill AE6JV
>
> On 3/11/17 at 2:57 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> >I've purchased a used K3 S/N in the 3ks, and plan to apply some of the K3S upgrade options.
> >Any experiences, hints or do's and don'ts to tell for me?
> >I'm using the K3 mainly for HF contesting, VHF with an external transverter and some DX chasing.
> >tu es 73
> >Gernot, DF5RF

Re: K3 upgrade to K3S question

briancom
and almost a kilobuck

Sent from my iPad

> On Mar 12, 2017, at 9:30 AM, Ed Muns <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The KIO3B has both RS232 and USB.
>
> All 3 upgrades are easy to do together.  Now takes me less than 30 minutes total for 2 KSYN3As, KXV3A and KIO3B.
>
> 73,
> Ed W0YK
>> On Mar 11, 2017 4:41 PM, Bill Frantz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> There are two upgrade issues to consider:
>>
>> (1) The recommended modifications to bring your K3 up to the
>> latest engineering level. Check
>> <http://www.elecraft.com/K3/k3_app_notes.htm> for what you may
>> need and how to install it.
>>
>> (2) The upgrades to install the new K3S upgrade boards. The big
>> win here is the KSYN3A board. It will improve your receive and
>> fast CW break in. The KXV3B board adds a second preamp for 12,
>> 10, and 6 meters. The KIO3B 3-board set installs an internal
>> "sound card" in the K3 for computer interface of digital modes.
>> It also replaces the RS-232 connection with a USB connection.
>>
>> It is quite easy to install all three upgrade in a K3. Doing
>> them one at a time will be less confusing, but if you have a
>> good idea of how things in the K3 are connected together it is
>> possible to install them all at once. I, and my K3 survived the experience.
>>
>> 73 Bill AE6JV
>>
>>> On 3/11/17 at 2:57 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>>
>>> I've purchased a used K3 S/N in the 3ks, and plan to apply some of the K3S upgrade options.
>>> Any experiences, hints or do's and don'ts to tell for me?
>>> I'm using the K3 mainly for HF contesting, VHF with an external transverter and some DX chasing.
>>> tu es 73
>>> Gernot, DF5RF

Re: K3 upgrade to K3S question

Ed W0YK
Clarification.  I've been doing, and undoing, these three upgrades to the
SAME K3 at a shared station since the upgrades became available.  I make the
upgrades when I arrive and remove them when I leave the station.  Seemed
like a hassle at first, but now routine and quick after all the practice.

Ed W0YK

All 3 upgrades are easy to do together.  Now takes me less than 30 minutes
total for 2 KSYN3As, KXV3A and KIO3B.

73,
Ed W0YK
On Mar 11, 2017 4:41 PM, Bill Frantz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There are two upgrade issues to consider:
>
> (1) The recommended modifications to bring your K3 up to the
> latest engineering level. Check
> <http://www.elecraft.com/K3/k3_app_notes.htm> for what you may
> need and how to install it.
>
> (2) The upgrades to install the new K3S upgrade boards. The big
> win here is the KSYN3A board. It will improve your receive and
> fast CW break in. The KXV3B board adds a second preamp for 12,
> 10, and 6 meters. The KIO3B 3-board set installs an internal
> "sound card" in the K3 for computer interface of digital modes.
> It also replaces the RS-232 connection with a USB connection.
>
> It is quite easy to install all three upgrade in a K3. Doing
> them one at a time will be less confusing, but if you have a
> good idea of how things in the K3 are connected together it is
> possible to install them all at once. I, and my K3 survived the
experience.

> 73 Bill AE6JV
>
> On 3/11/17 at 2:57 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> >I've purchased a used K3 S/N in the 3ks, and plan to apply some of the
K3S upgrade options.
> >Any experiences, hints or do's and don'ts to tell for me?
> >I'm using the K3 mainly for HF contesting, VHF with an external
transverter and some DX chasing.

> >tu es 73
> >Gernot, DF5RF

Re: K3 upgrade to K3S question

I consider that a real bargain for upgrading a 2008 vintage radio (when
the K3 was introduced) to a 2015 vintage radio.  Compare that with the
cost of upgrading a YaKenCOM rig -- buy a new one.

73, Jim K9YC

On Sun,3/12/2017 8:48 AM, briancom wrote:

> and almost a kilobuck
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On Mar 12, 2017, at 9:30 AM, Ed Muns <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The KIO3B has both RS232 and USB.
>>
>> All 3 upgrades are easy to do together.  Now takes me less than 30 minutes total for 2 KSYN3As, KXV3A and KIO3B.
>>
>> 73,
>> Ed W0YK

Re: K3 upgrade to K3S question

James Walker
When faced with the upgrade question, my choice for spending the money was to try out the IC-7300. I wouldn’t contend that the IC-7300 is equal to the K3S/P3, but the K3 and the IC-7300 combination may be more fun than the upgraded K3S for the same money.

Jimmy Walker
WA4ILO
Macon, GA

On Mar 12, 2017, at 1:41 PM, Jim Brown <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

I consider that a real bargain for upgrading a 2008 vintage radio (when the K3 was introduced) to a 2015 vintage radio.  Compare that with the cost of upgrading a YaKenCOM rig -- buy a new one.

Re: K3 upgrade to K3S question

Guy Olinger K2AV
The synthesizer upgrade makes a huge improvement in any medium CW speed
operation and gets rid of a slight irregularity in CW formation when keying
slower  tx/rx transition amps. That's in addition to the superb lowering
and narrowing of phase noise.

I have this half notion to get a single rx K3 without tuner as "other RX"
offband and rebuild platform in case other K3 has to go to Aptos, to keep
me on the air. Move tuner from existing K3 to single rx one which becomes
the field day rig. Never needed diversity at fd. Keeps me from having to
undo all the home K3 wiring for fd.

Point is that single rx K3 would have to have syn mod, or reduction in
price.

Moving forward for market value it has to have mods. Especially syns, D DSP
and gold pins if early version.

Since I have existing Microham stuff, serial cards in PC, etc, USB in K3S
doesn't help me with anything.

Still would like to have the K3S upgraded audio board for K3. When's that
coming out? Been waiting.

73, Guy K2AV

On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 1:56 PM James Walker <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> When faced with the upgrade question, my choice for spending the money was
> to try out the IC-7300. I wouldn’t contend that the IC-7300 is equal to the
> K3S/P3, but the K3 and the IC-7300 combination may be more fun than the
> upgraded K3S for the same money.
>
> Jimmy Walker
> WA4ILO
> Macon, GA
>
> On Mar 12, 2017, at 1:41 PM, Jim Brown <[hidden email]<mailto:
> [hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> I consider that a real bargain for upgrading a 2008 vintage radio (when
> the K3 was introduced) to a 2015 vintage radio.  Compare that with the cost
> of upgrading a YaKenCOM rig -- buy a new one.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

Sent via Gmail Mobile on my iPhone

Re: K3 upgrade to K3S question

Bill W4ZV
Guy Olinger K2AV wrote
The synthesizer upgrade makes a huge improvement in any medium CW speed
operation and gets rid of a slight irregularity in CW formation when keying
slower  tx/rx transition amps. That's in addition to the superb lowering
and narrowing of phase noise.
I've had several unsolicited compliments on my CW signal quality on 160 since doing the synthesizer upgrade.  My RBNs typically indicate >50 dB SNRs at East Coast RXs and it's nice to be a good neighbor on a band that has very strong local signals.

In the ARRL CW DX there was a multiop station in Mass that had bad clicks +/- 1 kHz, so I notified the owner afterwards.  Turns out he was using an unmodified FT-1000MP which is notorious for clicks; he had the parts for the mod but had not yet done it.  Shame on Yaesu for stonewalling this problem for years.  Fortunately MPs are becoming scarcer by the day.

Thank you Elecraft for producing one of the best quality CW signals and not allowing owners to shorten rise/fall times to intentionally create dirty signals.

73,  Bill  W4ZV

Re: K3 upgrade to K3S question

gt-i
Bill,

Good to know there is a DSP Update - didn't recognized it yet. Rev C is
installed so the only difference to Rev D is the 4 kHZ Audio LPF. Did
you encounter situations with a noticable enhancement using the LPF?
73 Gernot, DF5RF

Re: K3 upgrade to K3S question

gt-i
Bill,
thanks for pointing out to option (1). After reading all the suggestions
I will very likely do the KSYN3A upgrades only.
Regarding the USB/Sound card - I had to insert ground insulation for all
the Audio/USB to PC connections to avoid ground loops.
Does anybod know if this one is already insulated?
73, Gernot DF5RF

Am 12.03.2017 um 01:41 schrieb Bill Frantz:

> There are two upgrade issues to consider:
>
> (1) The recommended modifications to bring your K3 up to the latest
> engineering level. Check <http://www.elecraft.com/K3/k3_app_notes.htm>
> for what you may need and how to install it.
>
> (2) The upgrades to install the new K3S upgrade boards. The big win
> here is the KSYN3A board. It will improve your receive and fast CW
> break in. The KXV3B board adds a second preamp for 12, 10, and 6
> meters. The KIO3B 3-board set installs an internal "sound card" in the
> K3 for computer interface of digital modes. It also replaces the
> RS-232 connection with a USB connection.
>
> It is quite easy to install all three upgrade in a K3. Doing them one
> at a time will be less confusing, but if you have a good idea of how
> things in the K3 are connected together it is possible to install them
> all at once. I, and my K3 survived the experience.
>
> 73 Bill AE6JV
>
> On 3/11/17 at 2:57 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> I've purchased a used K3 S/N in the 3ks, and plan to apply some of
>> the K3S upgrade options.
>> Any experiences, hints or do's and don'ts to tell for me?
>> I'm using the K3 mainly for HF contesting, VHF with an external
>> transverter and some DX chasing.
>> tu es 73
>> Gernot, DF5RF

Re: K3 upgrade to K3S question

Gernot,

The DSP board upgrade did two things.

It added a Low Pass Filter to reduce the high audio filter response
which eliminated some high frequency 'hiss' that some operators objected to.

Secondly, it changed some capacitor and resistor values which enhanced
the low frequency response.

You can do the DSP board swap if you want both.
But if you are only interested in the high frequency end, Elecraft
provides an inexpensive kit to add the LPF to your existing DSP board.
That was my choice because I was not interested in the extended low
frequency response.

On 3/12/2017 6:37 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Bill,
>
> Good to know there is a DSP Update - didn't recognized it yet. Rev C is
> installed so the only difference to Rev D is the 4 kHZ Audio LPF. Did
> you encounter situations with a noticable enhancement using the LPF?
> 73 Gernot, DF5RF

Re: K3 upgrade to K3S question

Grant Youngman-2
According to the Elecraft website, the rev C DSP board introduced the low frequency improvements that were then carried over to the rev D board.  So if you add the LPF module to a rev C (a simple addition), you have the equivalent of the rev D without the need for a board swap.

> You can do the DSP board swap if you want both.
> But if you are only interested in the high frequency end, Elecraft provides an inexpensive kit to add the LPF to your existing DSP board. That was my choice because I was not interested in the extended low frequency response.

Grant NQ5T
K3 #2091, KX3 #8342

K3 upgrade to K3S question

Edward A. Dauer
A question about the KXV3B –

I have done the synth upgrades but none of the others, yet.  I am considering doing the KXV3B and the KIO3B.

At present I have a PR6-10 hanging off the back of the K3.  I have found it very helpful on 10 meters and on 15 and maybe a bit on 20.  I have not done any laboratory-grade measurements, but a simple on-off on 15 is convincing that the preamp is of use there, and 20 is maybe or maybe not.

The KXV3B Manual is clear that band selection should be done on 12, 10, and 6.  I would be disinclined to doing the upgrade if I lost the preamp advantage I now have on 15.  Does anyone know if the preamp in the KXV3B is identical to the outboard PR6-10 and, if so, whether the K3 with an new KXV3B will accept the preamp ON designation for bands other than 12-10-6?

Thanks,

Ted, KN1CBR

    Message: 1

Re: K3 upgrade to K3S question

briancom
Right on.  The new board preamp only works 12 through 6 M.  More gain would be helpful on 17 and 15 M.  I hope Elecraft can open up access to  the new preamp on those bands-even if it is 6 dB.
My experience (older K3) with an external preamp and decent antennas showed that some extra gain on 17 and 15 M helped.  15M is an especially quiet band and extra gain was welcome.  Also it helped overcome the 3 dB loss in signal when the subrx was sharing the main ant.
Now that I have relocated to another QTH and have much poorer antennas and lower sunspot numbers, the extra gain on 15 and 17 would be welcome. Most guys are hearing me better than I am hearing them.  More gain on those bands might open up new layers of guys to work.
Of course there is the question guys always ask : Why does it do anything placed at the RX front end.
The fact of the matter seems to be that even if you just think it helps, it is a  benefit.  Measurements made with a signal generator show the new preamp does improve the MDS under the condx of no atmospheric noise present.  Some of this might indeed show up for quiet bands.
73 de Brian
.

Sent from my iPad