K3 with a PW-1

K4GM-George
Does anyone use a K3 with a PW-1 setup to autoswitch the AMP as the K3
changes bands. ?   Just replaced my 756 Pro II with the K3 and am
wondering whether it will be simple to operate the Amp as before.

K4GM- George

Re: K3 with a PW-1

gdaught6
George wrote:

> Does anyone use a K3 with a PW-1 setup to autoswitch the AMP as the K3
> changes bands. ?   Just replaced my 756 Pro II with the K3 and am
> wondering whether it will be simple to operate the Amp as before.

The Icom series communicates band data by a variable analog voltage on a single
line.  The K3 (and Yaesu, etc.) communicate band data by digital signals over 4 lines.

What is needed is a converter from the BCD from the K-3 to the various levels
needed by the Icom.  I built my ownYaesu/Icom interface for my FT1000MP.  When
I got my K3, all I had to do was change the connector on the radio end of the cable.

If you want to build one for yourself, I can send you my notes and schematic.  It's
easy, but not trivial.

I believe there are commercially available units that will do this job.

73,

 George T Daughters, K6GT
CU in the California QSO Party (CQP)
October 4-5, 2008

Re: K3 with a PW-1

David Cutter
That would be of interest to more than a few, I would guess.  For such a low
resolution, I think I could do it with a few resistors then a follower, but
it would be nice to know how others do it.

David
G3UNA

>> Does anyone use a K3 with a PW-1 setup to autoswitch the AMP as the K3
>> changes bands. ?   Just replaced my 756 Pro II with the K3 and am
>> wondering whether it will be simple to operate the Amp as before.
>
> The Icom series communicates band data by a variable analog voltage on a
> single
> line.  The K3 (and Yaesu, etc.) communicate band data by digital signals
> over 4 lines.
>
> What is needed is a converter from the BCD from the K-3 to the various
> levels
> needed by the Icom.  I built my ownYaesu/Icom interface for my FT1000MP.
> When
> I got my K3, all I had to do was change the connector on the radio end of
> the cable.
>
> If you want to build one for yourself, I can send you my notes and
> schematic.  It's
> easy, but not trivial.
>
> I believe there are commercially available units that will do this job.
>
> 73,
>
> George T Daughters, K6GT
> CU in the California QSO Party (CQP)
> October 4-5, 2008

RE: K3 with a PW-1

Dick Dievendorff
My PW-1 follows the ICOM exciter's frequency by monitoring the CI-V bus.
That enables it to track the WARC bands, something you can't do with the
ICOM band voltage method.

Dick, K6KR

> Does anyone use a K3 with a PW-1 setup to autoswitch the AMP as the K3
> changes bands. ?   Just replaced my 756 Pro II with the K3 and am
> wondering whether it will be simple to operate the Amp as before.

The Icom series communicates band data by a variable analog voltage on a
single
line.  The K3 (and Yaesu, etc.) communicate band data by digital signals
over 4 lines.

What is needed is a converter from the BCD from the K-3 to the various
levels
needed by the Icom.  I built my ownYaesu/Icom interface for my FT1000MP.
When
I got my K3, all I had to do was change the connector on the radio end of
the cable.

If you want to build one for yourself, I can send you my notes and
schematic.  It's
easy, but not trivial.

I believe there are commercially available units that will do this job.

73,

 George T Daughters, K6GT
CU in the California QSO Party (CQP)
October 4-5, 2008

RE: K3 with a PW-1

The PW-1 will bandswitch based on CI-V data or a variable
DC voltage.  The microHAM Band Decoder (if you can find
one) and microHAM Station Master can provide the K3 CAT
to Icom CI-V conversion.  microHAM microKEYER II also has
an auxiliary CI-V output that will provide current frequency
data to bandswitch a PW-1.

If you so not want to do the CAT conversions, it is necessary
to build a BCD to variable voltage decoder.  I have done as
design that will provide either variable voltage for the
Icom 2KL/4KL/PW1 or one of six output for the TenTec Hercules
or Ameritron ALS-600 but it is not available in commercial
form.  QST determined that an article on the interface
"would not be of sufficiently general interest" and I have
not had time to arrange to have the project turned into a
kit.   Send me a direct e-mail and I'll send a copy of the
schematic.

Re: K3 with a PW-1

Don - W6CZ
The PW1 uses CI-V band information. It does NOT use the band voltage information. The 7 pin ACC2 cable is for PTT & ALC lines. As has been pointed out - Microham makes band decoders and interfaces that will do the job.

BTW - I found this thread looking for info because I want to use a K2 with a IC-4KL - It DOES use the band voltage. I have 2 of each that I want to employ in a second SO2R station where the first position is a 7800/756pro3 and PW-1's. It will be interesting to compare and might spur me to get rid of the 7800 and pro3 for K3's.

K4GM-George wrote
Does anyone use a K3 with a PW-1 setup to autoswitch the AMP as the K3
changes bands. ?   Just replaced my 756 Pro II with the K3 and am
wondering whether it will be simple to operate the Amp as before.

K4GM- George

RE: K3 with a PW-1

Joe Subich, W4TV-3

Don,

A series of FET switches or relays connecting the "bottom half"
of a voltage divider can be built fairly easily and driven from
a BCD to 1 of 9 decoder (like the W9XT board).  With relays or
a good low Vsat FET, the divider can be driven from a 7808
regulator.  With transistors or a ULN2804 darlington array,
Vsat is high enough that you might not be able to properly
encode 30 meters.  Using 5K or 10K pots as part of the divider
for each band is worthwhile to allow setting the band voltage
correctly.

RE: K3 with a PW-1

Don - W6CZ
Yes. I later found this:

http://www.qth.com/topten/apnote3.htm

A series of FET switches or relays connecting the "bottom half"
of a voltage divider can be built fairly easily and driven from
a BCD to 1 of 9 decoder (like the W9XT board).  With relays or
a good low Vsat FET, the divider can be driven from a 7808
regulator.  With transistors or a ULN2804 darlington array,
Vsat is high enough that you might not be able to properly
encode 30 meters.  Using 5K or 10K pots as part of the divider
for each band is worthwhile to allow setting the band voltage
correctly.

11/18/2008 8:59 PM