K3S No TX Audio via USB

John Klewer-2
OK....I have read several archived email threads regarding this issue some
other hams are having without finding a resolution to my problem...please
help!

Running a new K3S with a Mac running WSJT-x for JT-65 mode

Transceiver is connected per the manual and I am able to control the K3
with my logging program (MacloggerDX) when it is so connected...in other
words I have control and communications between the computer and the XCVR

WSJT-X receive works great and able to decode signals fine.

I have selected the appropriate USB CODEC as shown in my Mac system
settings and, of course, in the WSJT-X configuration menu.

I have nothing plugged into the Line In or Line Out jacks of the K3S

There is no TX audio, listening to an external receiver or the radio's
monitor regardless of setting and regardless of Mic Gain settings (running
in USB mode for WSJT of course)

This is a brand new K3S with version 5.50 installed

My friend has the same setup except with a Windows computer and has the
same problem with his setup.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

John, N6AX

Re: K3S No TX Audio via USB

Nr4c
You should be using DATA A mode for wsjt.

Look in the manual for data modes. It works.

Sent from my iPhone
...nr4c. bill

> On Dec 17, 2016, at 5:49 PM, John Klewer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> OK....I have read several archived email threads regarding this issue some
> other hams are having without finding a resolution to my problem...please
> help!
>
> Running a new K3S with a Mac running WSJT-x for JT-65 mode
>
> Transceiver is connected per the manual and I am able to control the K3
> with my logging program (MacloggerDX) when it is so connected...in other
> words I have control and communications between the computer and the XCVR
>
> WSJT-X receive works great and able to decode signals fine.
>
> I have selected the appropriate USB CODEC as shown in my Mac system
> settings and, of course, in the WSJT-X configuration menu.
>
> I have nothing plugged into the Line In or Line Out jacks of the K3S
>
> There is no TX audio, listening to an external receiver or the radio's
> monitor regardless of setting and regardless of Mic Gain settings (running
> in USB mode for WSJT of course)
>
> This is a brand new K3S with version 5.50 installed
>
> My friend has the same setup except with a Windows computer and has the
> same problem with his setup.
>
> Any help is appreciated
>
> Thanks
>
> John, N6AX

Re: K3S No TX Audio via USB

Lyle Johnson
John,

Be sure you are using LINE IN gain rather than MIC GAIN to adjust the Tx
audio level.

73,

Lyle KK7P

On 12/17/16 4:49 PM, Nr4c wrote:

> You should be using DATA A mode for wsjt.
>
> Look in the manual for data modes. It works.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
> ...nr4c. bill
>

>> On Dec 17, 2016, at 5:49 PM, John Klewer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> OK....I have read several archived email threads regarding this issue some
>> other hams are having without finding a resolution to my problem...please
>> help!
>>
>> Running a new K3S with a Mac running WSJT-x for JT-65 mode
>>
>> Transceiver is connected per the manual and I am able to control the K3
>> with my logging program (MacloggerDX) when it is so connected...in other
>> words I have control and communications between the computer and the XCVR
>>
>> WSJT-X receive works great and able to decode signals fine.
>>
>> I have selected the appropriate USB CODEC as shown in my Mac system
>> settings and, of course, in the WSJT-X configuration menu.
>>
>> I have nothing plugged into the Line In or Line Out jacks of the K3S
>>
>> There is no TX audio, listening to an external receiver or the radio's
>> monitor regardless of setting and regardless of Mic Gain settings (running
>> in USB mode for WSJT of course)
>>
>> This is a brand new K3S with version 5.50 installed
>>
>> My friend has the same setup except with a Windows computer and has the
>> same problem with his setup.
>>
>> Any help is appreciated
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> John, N6AX

Re: K3S No TX Audio via USB

John,

Have you looked a Windows Mixer to see what the output level of the USB
Codec in the K3 might be set at?

Set it to about 75% of full volume.

I don't know what is different about WJST than other data modes, I just
know that there have been many more posts on the reflector about it.  It
should be "just another data mode", but many users seem to have similar
problems.

Have you tried it in DATA A mode rather than USB?  DATA A normal
sideband is the same as USB but with compression automatically set to
zero and TX EQ set to flat.  You will have to widen the default
bandwidth for DATA A, but that is a simple matter of moving the WIDTH
knob (or HiCut/LoCut).
Much of the internet advice does not consider that the K3 (K2, KX3, KX2)
are different in the way power is controlled than other transceivers.
With Elecraft transceivers, set the audio drive correctly and control
the power with the power knob.

Set the audio to produce 4 bars solid on the ALC meter with the 5th bar
flashing for the K3, K3S, KX3 and KX2.  For the K2, increase the audio
until you see an ALC bar and then back off the gain until it disappears.