K3s - KAT3A is a Great ATU!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

K3s - KAT3A is a Great ATU!

MaverickNH
A few days ago, when assembling my 43ft Vertical antenna, I ran a RG213 from rig to outside and a longer RG213 from antenna to outside my house. I later powered up the K3S/KAT3A to test that new 43ft Vertical, wondering if there must be a problem, as reception was quite a bit lower than my G5RV. Strong signals were relatively clear and audible, but way down on the S meter.

I then realized I was using the KAT3A ATU to tune the 50ft of coax alone, as I had forgotten to join the coax at the lightning arrester on the ground rod outside my house.

Next, I'm going to try a KX2 w/KXAT2 ATU on a folding aluminum lawn chair. Antennas? We don't need no stinking antennas!  ;-)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: K3s - KAT3A is a Great ATU!

w5sum

LOL.. rock on brother! I'm a believer it just throwing a chunk of wire in a
tree and making contacts.. I don't need no stinking EZ- antenna programs LOL

btw.. 300 confirmed on my full wave loop... which has an unknown amount of
wire, fed with a unknown length of 300 ohm twinlead, and unknown resonant
point

Ronnie W5SUM
-----Original Message-----
From: MaverickNH
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 6:17 AM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [Elecraft] K3s - KAT3A is a Great ATU!

A few days ago, when assembling my 43ft Vertical antenna, I ran a RG213 from
rig to outside and a longer RG213 from antenna to outside my house. I later
powered up the K3S/KAT3A to test that new 43ft Vertical, wondering if there
must be a problem, as reception was quite a bit lower than my G5RV. Strong
signals were relatively clear and audible, but way down on the S meter.

I then realized I was using the KAT3A ATU to tune the 50ft of coax alone, as
I had forgotten to join the coax at the lightning arrester on the ground rod
outside my house.

Next, I'm going to try a KX2 w/KXAT2 ATU on a folding aluminum lawn chair.
Antennas? We don't need no stinking antennas!  ;-)



--
View this message in context:
http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/K3s-KAT3A-is-a-Great-ATU-tp7621449.html
Sent from the Elecraft mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: K3s - KAT3A is a Great ATU!

Wes Stewart-2
How do you know it's a full wave?

On 8/10/2016 4:36 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>  ...full wave loop... which has an unknown amount of wire...

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: K3s - KAT3A is a Great ATU!

w5sum
I don't!!! And in love my loop! It's quiet and I bust pileups with Dailey! It's great!
If I had to guess it has somewhere between 250-300 feet of wire. Or not

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 10, 2016, at 7:39 AM, Wes Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> How do you know it's a full wave?
>
>> On 8/10/2016 4:36 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>> ...full wave loop... which has an unknown amount of wire...
>
> ______________________________________________________________
> Elecraft mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
> Message delivered to [hidden email]

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: K3s - KAT3A is a Great ATU!

Phil Wheeler-2
In reply to this post by MaverickNH
Of course not!  Not when we have small, convenient
dummy loads :-)

Phil W7OX

On 8/10/16 4:17 AM, MaverickNH wrote:
> Antennas? We don't need no stinking antennas!  ;-)

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: K3s - KAT3A is a Great ATU!

K8TE
In reply to this post by MaverickNH
I apologize in advance:

 

It is a full wave on some (undisclosed) frequency.

 

Again, sorry, but I couldn't help myself.

 

73, Bill, K8TE

 

Message: 15

Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 07:54:29 -0500

From: Ronnie Hull <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> >

To: Wes Stewart <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> >

Cc: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3s - KAT3A is a Great ATU!

Message-ID: <[hidden email]
<mailto:[hidden email]> >

Content-Type: text/plain;            charset=us-ascii

 

I don't!!! And in love my loop! It's quiet and I bust pileups with Dailey!
It's great!

If I had to guess it has somewhere between 250-300 feet of wire. Or not

 

Sent from my iPhone

 

> On Aug 10, 2016, at 7:39 AM, Wes Stewart <[hidden email]
<mailto:[hidden email]> > wrote:

>

> How do you know it's a full wave?

>

>> On 8/10/2016 4:36 AM, [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
wrote:

>> ...full wave loop... which has an unknown amount of wire...

>

 

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

K3s - KAT3A is a Great ATU!

Edward A. Dauer
In reply to this post by MaverickNH
Reduces QRM on both ends.  Few other devices can do that.

Ted, KN1CBR


------------------------------

Message: 20
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 07:43:49 -0700
From: Phil Wheeler <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3s - KAT3A is a Great ATU!
Message-ID: <[hidden email]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=windows-1252; format=flowed

Of course not!  Not when we have small, convenient
dummy loads :-)

Phil W7OX

On 8/10/16 4:17 AM, MaverickNH wrote:
> Antennas? We don't need no stinking antennas!  ;-)


______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: K3s - KAT3A is a Great ATU!

Phil Wheeler-2
Yes, a new operating challenge: WAS with 5 Watts
and a dummy load, Ted ;-)

A step up (or down!) from loading up bed springs,
lawn chair and the like.

73, Phil W7OX

On 8/10/16 10:59 AM, Dauer, Edward wrote:

> Reduces QRM on both ends.  Few other devices can do that.
>
> Ted, KN1CBR
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
>
> Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 07:43:49 -0700
> From: Phil Wheeler <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3s - KAT3A is a Great ATU!
> Message-ID: <[hidden email]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=windows-1252; format=flowed
>
> Of course not!  Not when we have small, convenient
> dummy loads :-)
>
> Phil W7OX
>
> On 8/10/16 4:17 AM, MaverickNH wrote:
>> Antennas? We don't need no stinking antennas!  ;-)
>

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to [hidden email]