Quantcast

K4: serious challenge for the $10K toys

DOUGLAS ZWIEBEL
Hi Joe...

Yes, I'm sure a K4 (or how about a K88 so the SE Asia guys would buy
in big time) could be "easily" made.  In fact, for "that" group, it
might make sense to price it even higher than "theirs"...say $15 or
$20k.  You know, when you get into the upper tiers of any market, it's
the HIGH PRICE that convinces folks that it's good.  And if it really
is good (as I'm sure the K88 would be), then bingo.  Tons of profit
margin....with a concomitant lower volume.  It all balances out.

However, if you look at the track record of Elecraft, they appear to
be very good at identifying very tiny niche markets (although the K3
seems to have a wide appeal...wider than expected?).  Somehow,
competing "head to head" with a "big" radio doesn't seem to fit the
"Eric/Wayne" approach.

As I recall (it's probably on their web site somewhere), the K3 was
targeted to be a "high performance, very portable, light weight"
radio...with some very neat features too.  They have certainly
achieved that.  If I were them (which I am not), I'd be focusing on
refining what I have (which they are obviously doing).  It is probably
just a matter of time before the FT9009 and IC7878 come out, using
nearly identical receiver design approaches to those used in the K3
(and Orion).  Citing my own previous post today, this could be the
Trophy wife with four PhD degrees.  It's got to be only a matter of
time.  Of course, it will still be a BIG, HEAVY radio, taking up lots
of real estate and providing lots of future opportunity for
Herniorrhaphy surgeons.  The K3 will still have its niche market.

Okay..end of make-believe "I can see the future" diatribe.  :-)

de Doug KR2Q

Re: K4: serious challenge for the $10K toys

Johnny Siu
Hello Doug,

For the market of 10k and 15k rig, it has to be supported by a large institutional market which is the most profitable.

The requirements from institutonal users could be different from hams.  Durability, physcial strength and easiness of operation could be another areas to look into.  I fully appreciate that Elecraft is a very clever manufacturing engineer and marketing manager.  When you examine both K2 and K3, for all the non-essential parts (including the fat head and pan head cabinet screws), I am rude to say that they use the cheapest materials.  For the T/R switch of KPA100, they only use the cheap IN4007 diodes for the switching (but works very well!!).

On the other hand, for the criticial parts such as the front end of XV144 they use an excellent MOSFET.  Elecraft is very clever in a way that they can mimize the production costs against performance.

K2 and K3 are excellent in specifications but I doubt whether they can really operate under full institutional usage 7/24 a week.  May be there is another version of K3 for institutional users which I don't know.

I am an ICOM user as well.  I understand that ICOM earns huge revenue from the institutional version of their IC7800, IC7700 and ICR9500.  For a purchase of 10k or over, the prospective purchaser will look into other issues.  For me, I would also think of resell value of my used gears if I invest 10k or more.

May be I am lucky that in Hong Kong, all the top gears (except K3) are only 80% of the US prices.  Therefore, when I sell my IC7800 or IC7700 in future, the loss to me could be minimal.

With the clever minds in Elecraft, I think they have the capability and talent to enter the profitable institutional market.  Perhaps, they may go for IPO in due course (of course not now) for funding.

cheers,

Johnny Siu VR2XMC

--- 2009年1月3日 星期六,DOUGLAS ZWIEBEL <[hidden email]> 寫道﹕

      Yahoo!香港提供網上安全攻略,教你如何防範黑客! 請前往 http://hk.promo.yahoo.com/security/ 了解更多!

DOUGLAS ZWIEBEL wrote:

> Somehow, competing "head to head" with a "big" radio doesn't seem to
> fit the "Eric/Wayne" approach.

It does now :)  We (and the K3) are in it for the long haul, and we
don't think of it as a niche radio.

There are no plans for a K4. We'll continue to refine the K3 as a
system, internally and externally -- hence the highly modular design.
As with the K2, no K3 will ever be obsolete.

---

http://www.elecraft.com

Re: Re: K4: serious challenge for the $10K toys

N5GE
On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 06:10:04 -0800, you wrote:

In Line...

>DOUGLAS ZWIEBEL wrote:
>
>> Somehow, competing "head to head" with a "big" radio doesn't seem to
>> fit the "Eric/Wayne" approach.
>
>It does now :)  We (and the K3) are in it for the long haul, and we
>don't think of it as a niche radio.

Nor do I.

>There are no plans for a K4. We'll continue to refine the K3 as a
>system, internally and externally -- hence the highly modular design.
>As with the K2, no K3 will ever be obsolete.

From the day I received my K3, I too have believed it to be the best Rig I've
ever had.  Being retired on a fixed income, it makes me feel good that I can
look forward to no more major rig purchases.  Now I can concentrate on my other
part of the hobby; Building wire antennas for the low bands.

Thanks, Elecraft!

Tom Hinson Childers, N5GE

K3 #806, XV144, XV432
Mini-Modules

http://www.eQSL.cc/Member.cfm?N5GE
http://www.n5ge.com
http://www.swotrc.net

Giving a politician more
than one term in office
allows him to become
one who feeds from
the hands of lobbyists.

Help prevent this, by never
voting for an incumbent.

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

RE: K4: serious challenge for the $10K toys

Bruce McLaughlin-2
Of course there is a fast way of developing a big radio.  Just take the
current electronics and put them in a bigger case.  My Orion II is a good
example.  There is a LOT of room inside.  But a bigger case does not make a
better radio in my opinion.  As for the idea that a higher price indicates a
better radio or an "institutional" quality radio, there is the Yaesu FT 9000
example.  That very expensive rig is subject to recall to replace almost all
of its innards and I don't believe that has been accomplished yet. So much
for design reliability.  I have no doubt that Elecraft could design a radio
for the institutional market if it chose to do so but I'll bet that market
has its problems as well.  As for the 7800 that appears to be quite capable
and I'm sure there are institutional users, but for critical missions, I bet
the choice is more likely the radios from Rhode & Schwartz or Harris which
are way beyond the price points we are accustomed to.

By the way, commercial users tend to look for the lowest priced, dependable
equipment which will get the job done. Globe Wireless uses TenTEC receivers
for computer controlled, unmanned remote locations.  If they weren't
dependable 24/7 workers, I doubt they would be used.  They are far from the
most expensive but they apparently meet the needs.

Bruce-W8FU

[...]

--- 2009年1月3日 星期六,DOUGLAS ZWIEBEL <[hidden email]> �道�

> 寄件人: DOUGLAS ZWIEBEL <[hidden email]>
> 主�: [Elecraft] K4: serious challenge for the $10K toys
> 收件人: "Elecraft Reflector" <[hidden email]>
> 日期: 2009 1 3 星期六 上午 10:57
> Hi Joe...
>
> Yes, I'm sure a K4 (or how about a K88 so the SE Asia
> guys would buy
> in big time) could be "easily" made.  In fact,
> for "that" group, it
> might make sense to price it even higher than
> "theirs"...say $15 or
> $20k.  You know, when you get into the upper tiers of any
> market, it's
> the HIGH PRICE that convinces folks that it's good.
> And if it really
> is good (as I'm sure the K88 would be), then bingo.
> Tons of profit
> margin....with a concomitant lower volume.  It all balances
> out.
>
> However, if you look at the track record of Elecraft, they
> appear to
> be very good at identifying very tiny niche markets
> (although the K3
> seems to have a wide appeal...wider than expected?).
> Somehow,
> competing "head to head" with a "big"
> radio doesn't seem to fit the
> "Eric/Wayne" approach.
>
> As I recall (it's probably on their web site
> somewhere), the K3 was
> targeted to be a "high performance, very portable,
> light weight"
> radio...with some very neat features too.  They have
> certainly
> achieved that.  If I were them (which I am not), I'd be
> focusing on
> refining what I have (which they are obviously doing).  It
> is probably
> just a matter of time before the FT9009 and IC7878 come
> out, using
> nearly identical receiver design approaches to those used
> in the K3
> (and Orion).  Citing my own previous post today, this could
> be the
> Trophy wife with four PhD degrees.  It's got to be only
> a matter of
> time.  Of course, it will still be a BIG, HEAVY radio,
> taking up lots
> of real estate and providing lots of future opportunity for
> Herniorrhaphy surgeons.  The K3 will still have its niche
> market.
>
> Okay..end of make-believe "I can see the future"
> diatribe.  :-)
>
> de Doug KR2Q

      Yahoo!香港提供�上安全攻略,教你如何防�黑客! �前往
http://hk.promo.yahoo.com/security/ 了解更多!

Re: Re: K4: serious challenge for the $10K toys

WILLIS COOKE
Wayne, for those who complain that the K3 is not heavy enough I suggest that you sell a battery box to attach to the bottom with a 100 amp hour gel cell.  That should make it heavy enough to give anyone a hernia.

Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
K5EWJ. K3 #1025 with separate emergency battery.

> > Somehow, competing "head to head" with a
> "big" radio doesn't seem to
> > fit the "Eric/Wayne" approach.
>
> It does now :)  We (and the K3) are in it for the long
> haul, and we
> don't think of it as a niche radio.
>
> There are no plans for a K4. We'll continue to refine
> the K3 as a
> system, internally and externally -- hence the highly
> modular design.
> As with the K2, no K3 will ever be obsolete.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR
>

> ---
>
> http://www.elecraft.com

KBT3?

wayne burdick
WILLIS COOKE wrote:

> Wayne, for those who complain that the K3 is not heavy enough I
> suggest that you sell a battery box to attach to the bottom with a 100
> amp hour gel cell.  That should make it heavy enough to give anyone a
> hernia.

This is left as an exercise for the reader  :)

OTOH, we could offer an internal Li-ion battery for the K3 that would
be interchangeable with the KPA3 module. We could get about 7 AH in
there, I bet. Built-in fast charger, charge monitoring at the front
panel, separate fuse.... hmmmm.... nice for QRP picnic-table outings.

A fuel cell would be even more fun.

---

http://www.elecraft.com

Re: Re: K4: serious challenge for the $10K toys

Dyarnes-2
Cookie, you have a point!  The thing that frustrates me perhaps the most
about my Orion II is its size.  It's huge!  It doesn't fit well on my
operating desk (every other rig I own does fit), and it's just plain murder
to position it efficiently from an operating standpoint.  Ten-Tec could have
made it much smaller (not as deep) without sacrificing any of the front
panel space.

My K3, on the other hand, fits just about anywhere.  I even think the
ergonomics are better, not worse.  An Orion II has about 1350+ cubic inches
of volume.  The K3 has just over 400 cubic inches.  So, theoretically you
can fit three K3's into an Orion.  I'm not sure what Ten-Tec was thinking of
when they designed the Orion package, but obviously convenience wasn't on
their mind.

Dave W7AQK

> Wayne, for those who complain that the K3 is not heavy enough I suggest
> that you sell a battery box to attach to the bottom with a 100 amp hour
> gel cell.  That should make it heavy enough to give anyone a hernia.
>
> Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
> K5EWJ. K3 #1025 with separate emergency battery.

Re: KBT3?

WILLIS COOKE
Whatever you offer Wayne, be sure that it weighs at least 50 pounds.  If you have to, ballast it with a couple of cement blocks.  You need to accommodate the group that really wants a work out and would like a transceiver that functions as a barbell as well as a ham radio.

Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
K5EWJ

> > Wayne, for those who complain that the K3 is not heavy
> enough I
> > suggest that you sell a battery box to attach to the
> bottom with a 100
> > amp hour gel cell.  That should make it heavy enough
> to give anyone a
> > hernia.
>
> This is left as an exercise for the reader  :)
>
> OTOH, we could offer an internal Li-ion battery for the K3
> that would
> be interchangeable with the KPA3 module. We could get about
> 7 AH in
> there, I bet. Built-in fast charger, charge monitoring at
> the front
> panel, separate fuse.... hmmmm.... nice for QRP
> picnic-table outings.
>
> A fuel cell would be even more fun.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR
>
> ---
>
> http://www.elecraft.com

Re: KBT3?

AB3EN
I would suggest that maybe a Transverter that matches the color and lines of the K3 with 144, 222 and 432 Mhz mix and match modules would just be a nice touch. Thanks for the great radio guys!

Dan

WILLIS COOKE wrote
Whatever you offer Wayne, be sure that it weighs at least 50 pounds.

Dan AB3EN

Re: Re: KBT3?

k3sx@comcast.net
Several years ago I displayed a product at a trade show.  Although we had
working prototypes we did not have a pretty model to put out for the show.
Using a timer chip, some LEDS, a building brick , nice silk screening and a
snazzy case we allowed customers to pick it up and heft it.  We received
lots of physical comments such as "Say, you must have a lot of parts in
there." The working ones were secured to the table so the customers could
verify the product worked.
Elecraft continues to prove that perception is NOT reality.
My K3 should be here in 2 weeks.  I am more excited than a ham with 47 years
on his license should be!
I congratulate Elecraft for a well thought out and implemented product line.
73,
Sid K3SX

> Whatever you offer Wayne, be sure that it weighs at least 50 pounds.  If
> you have to, ballast it with a couple of cement blocks.  You need to
> accommodate the group that really wants a work out and would like a
> transceiver that functions as a barbell as well as a ham radio.
>
> Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
> K5EWJ

RE: Re: KBT3?

Bruce McLaughlin-2
And certainly the per pound cost ratio would be improved!

Bruce-W8FU

Whatever you offer Wayne, be sure that it weighs at least 50 pounds.  If you
have to, ballast it with a couple of cement blocks.  You need to accommodate
the group that really wants a work out and would like a transceiver that
functions as a barbell as well as a ham radio.

Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
K5EWJ

> > Wayne, for those who complain that the K3 is not heavy
> enough I
> > suggest that you sell a battery box to attach to the
> bottom with a 100
> > amp hour gel cell.  That should make it heavy enough
> to give anyone a
> > hernia.
>
> This is left as an exercise for the reader  :)
>
> OTOH, we could offer an internal Li-ion battery for the K3
> that would
> be interchangeable with the KPA3 module. We could get about
> 7 AH in
> there, I bet. Built-in fast charger, charge monitoring at
> the front
> panel, separate fuse.... hmmmm.... nice for QRP
> picnic-table outings.
>
> A fuel cell would be even more fun.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR
>
> ---
>
> http://www.elecraft.com

Re:Re: K4: serious challenge for the $10K toys

JIM DAVIS-11
Johnny,"Radio-manufacturers" is that they TOO outsource NOW alot of the component procurment
as well as assembly (AT THE CHEAPEST PRICES POSSIBLE)!  So really it's not fair to say that ONLY
ELECRAFT may use "El-Cheapo"
components!!!

My "K3" is only two weeks old right now and I, like everybody else who has bought one
of these fine RIGS is going to give it "One helluva WORKOUT!!!" Elecraft has their
1 year guarantee to live up to!

Time will tell whether Elecraft has done all of us purchasers justice!

Warmest Regards from the otherside of the "Pacific Pond!"

Jim/nn6ee

Re: KBT3?

Leigh L. Klotz Jr WA5ZNU
The LiFePo4 packs that are showing up on the market these days are more
than adequate for running the K3 and its KPA3 at 100W.
Although the connections to the supply might be more easily done in the
space occupied by the KPA3, the use case is much better for a K3+KPA3
with a LiFePO4 pack.  Perhaps a bracket that is used in place of the
KRX3 would be more useful, if perhaps more engineering work.

The 0.9A draw of the K3 in RX would deplete a 2.4AH LiFePO4 pack in a
couple of hours of just RX, and the TX current draw of the QRP K3
doesn't require the power density of LiFePO4 either.  So, a QRP K3 would
do better with a more energy dense pack.  But the KPA3 does need the
high power density provided by LiFePO4 packs.

There's also the safety issue: Li+  and LiPoly packs are much less safe
than LiFePO4, and I suspect that if they're widely used in ham gear,
some day there will be a catastrophic rig accident.  The LiFePO4
chemistry is much safer, especially with regard to over- and
under-charging and physical damage.

Leigh/WA5ZNU

Wayne N6KR wrote:

> ...OTOH, we could offer an internal Li-ion battery for the K3 that
> would be interchangeable with the KPA3 module. We could get about 7 AH
> in there, I bet. Built-in fast charger, charge monitoring at the front
> panel, separate fuse.... hmmmm.... nice for QRP picnic-table outings.
>
> A fuel cell would be even more fun.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR
>
> ---

RE: Re: KBT3?

Adam Koczarski

I ended up making a couple of wood rails to hold my K3 on the platform I
have it on. It's so light pushing the button moves it around. Now the weight
of the shelf keeps it in place. :)

Adam - ka7ark
K3 #2265