[KAT500] Auto Tuning

Randy Moore
I am trying to help a friend understand auto tuning on his KAT500.  Bear
in mind that I have not yet touched a KAT500, so I haven't been able to
play with it to sort this out.  I'm just reading the manual.  I am
biased by how the K3 ATU works, but from the manual, it looks like the
KAT500 works differently.

He is using the configuration in Figure 1 (all DB15 cables) with his K3,
KPA500 and the KAT500.

 From my reading of the manual, one must tap the KAT500 TUNE button to
put it in tune mode, then apply RF from the K3.  Does that mean that if
I'm in SSB mode on the K3 (my friend is almost entirely an SSB op), that
I must either switch to a mode like CW to do this, followed by key-down,
or use the TUNE (Hold XMIT) button on the K3 to get the required RF?
Then tap the K3 TUNE/XMIT button again to put the K3 back in receive?
That looks like 3 button pushes to do a KAT500 tune.  Right?  Or can the
required RF be supplied in SSB mode by just speaking into the mic?

Sorry, I know this would be easy if I could just try it!  Thanks!

73,
Randy, KS4L

Re: [KAT500] Auto Tuning

N5GE

Here is how I tune with the KAT500:

1. Make sure the K3 tune power is set at 25W.
2. Select the frequency you are going to operate at.
3. Set the KAT500 output port by tapping the ANT button.
4. If you are using a KPA500 put it in standby.
5. Hold the XMIT button on the K3 to activate the K3 tune power.
6. The KAT500 will start tuning.  You don't have to push the TUNE
button on the KAT500.
7. When the KAT500 finishes tuning Tap the XMIT button on the K3.
8. If you are using a KPA500, put it in operate mode.
9. Start having fun!

73,
Tom
Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
ARRL Lifetime Member
QCWA Lifetime Member

On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 16:23:32 -0600, Randy Moore <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>I am trying to help a friend understand auto tuning on his KAT500.  Bear
>in mind that I have not yet touched a KAT500, so I haven't been able to
>play with it to sort this out.  I'm just reading the manual.  I am
>biased by how the K3 ATU works, but from the manual, it looks like the
>KAT500 works differently.
>
>He is using the configuration in Figure 1 (all DB15 cables) with his K3,
>KPA500 and the KAT500.
>
> From my reading of the manual, one must tap the KAT500 TUNE button to
>put it in tune mode, then apply RF from the K3.  Does that mean that if
>I'm in SSB mode on the K3 (my friend is almost entirely an SSB op), that
>I must either switch to a mode like CW to do this, followed by key-down,
>or use the TUNE (Hold XMIT) button on the K3 to get the required RF?
>Then tap the K3 TUNE/XMIT button again to put the K3 back in receive?
>That looks like 3 button pushes to do a KAT500 tune.  Right?  Or can the
>required RF be supplied in SSB mode by just speaking into the mic?
>
>Sorry, I know this would be easy if I could just try it!  Thanks!
>
>73,
>Randy, KS4L

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

Re: [KAT500] Auto Tuning

AC6JA
Does anyone know when the new firmware will become available which will
eliminate the need to "Tap the XMIT button on the K3" after the KAT500 finds a
 match?
It would be nice if we only had to hit the ATU TUNE button  once on the K3
and the entire tuning process would be automatic.

Mike  AC6JA

wrote:

>I am trying to help a friend  understand auto tuning on his KAT500.  Bear
>in mind that I have  not yet touched a KAT500, so I haven't been able to
>play with it to  sort this out.  I'm just reading the manual.  I am
>biased by  how the K3 ATU works, but from the manual, it looks like the
>KAT500  works differently.
>
>He is using the configuration in Figure 1  (all DB15 cables) with his K3,
>KPA500 and the KAT500.
>
>  From my reading of the manual, one must tap the KAT500 TUNE button to
>put it in tune mode, then apply RF from the K3.  Does that mean  that if
>I'm in SSB mode on the K3 (my friend is almost entirely an SSB  op), that
>I must either switch to a mode like CW to do this, followed  by key-down,
>or use the TUNE (Hold XMIT) button on the K3 to get the  required RF?
>Then tap the K3 TUNE/XMIT button again to put the K3 back  in receive?
>That looks like 3 button pushes to do a KAT500 tune.   Right?  Or can the
>required RF be supplied in SSB mode by just  speaking into the mic?
>
>Sorry, I know this would be easy if I  could just try it!  Thanks!
>
>73,
>Randy,  KS4L

>Post:  mailto:[hidden email]
>
>This list hosted by:  http://www.qsl.net
>Please help support this email list:  http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Post:  mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by:  http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list:  http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: [KAT500] Auto Tuning

Randy Moore
Does this assume that the K3 mode is CW?  On my K3, without the KAT500,
if I'm in SSB mode and tap XMIT, the K3 goes into transmit, but there's
no RF out unless I speak into the mic.

On 1/27/2013 4:46 PM, Tom H Childers wrote:

> Here is how I tune with the KAT500:
>
> 1. Make sure the K3 tune power is set at 25W.
> 2. Select the frequency you are going to operate at.
> 3. Set the KAT500 output port by tapping the ANT button.
> 4. If you are using a KPA500 put it in standby.
> 5. Hold the XMIT button on the K3 to activate the K3 tune power.
> 6. The KAT500 will start tuning.  You don't have to push the TUNE
> button on the KAT500.
> 7. When the KAT500 finishes tuning Tap the XMIT button on the K3.
> 8. If you are using a KPA500, put it in operate mode.
> 9. Start having fun!
>
> 73,
> Tom
> Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
> ARRL Lifetime Member
> QCWA Lifetime Member
>
> On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 16:23:32 -0600, Randy Moore <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I am trying to help a friend understand auto tuning on his KAT500.  Bear
>> in mind that I have not yet touched a KAT500, so I haven't been able to
>> play with it to sort this out.  I'm just reading the manual.  I am
>> biased by how the K3 ATU works, but from the manual, it looks like the
>> KAT500 works differently.
>>
>> He is using the configuration in Figure 1 (all DB15 cables) with his K3,
>> KPA500 and the KAT500.
>>
>>  From my reading of the manual, one must tap the KAT500 TUNE button to
>> put it in tune mode, then apply RF from the K3.  Does that mean that if
>> I'm in SSB mode on the K3 (my friend is almost entirely an SSB op), that
>> I must either switch to a mode like CW to do this, followed by key-down,
>> or use the TUNE (Hold XMIT) button on the K3 to get the required RF?
>> Then tap the K3 TUNE/XMIT button again to put the K3 back in receive?
>> That looks like 3 button pushes to do a KAT500 tune.  Right?  Or can the
>> required RF be supplied in SSB mode by just speaking into the mic?
>>
>> Sorry, I know this would be easy if I could just try it!  Thanks!
>>
>> 73,
>> Randy, KS4L

Re: [KAT500] Auto Tuning

Randy Moore
Oops, I misread your reply which clearly said HOLD XMIT in step 5.  Thanks!

73,
Randy, KS4L

On 1/27/2013 6:39 PM, Randy Moore wrote:

> Does this assume that the K3 mode is CW?  On my K3, without the KAT500,
> if I'm in SSB mode and tap XMIT, the K3 goes into transmit, but there's
> no RF out unless I speak into the mic.
>

> On 1/27/2013 4:46 PM, Tom H Childers wrote:
>>
>> Here is how I tune with the KAT500:
>>
>> 1. Make sure the K3 tune power is set at 25W.
>> 2. Select the frequency you are going to operate at.
>> 3. Set the KAT500 output port by tapping the ANT button.
>> 4. If you are using a KPA500 put it in standby.
>> 5. Hold the XMIT button on the K3 to activate the K3 tune power.
>> 6. The KAT500 will start tuning.  You don't have to push the TUNE
>> button on the KAT500.
>> 7. When the KAT500 finishes tuning Tap the XMIT button on the K3.
>> 8. If you are using a KPA500, put it in operate mode.
>> 9. Start having fun!
>>
>> 73,
>> Tom
>> Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
>> ARRL Lifetime Member
>> QCWA Lifetime Member
>>
>> On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 16:23:32 -0600, Randy Moore <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I am trying to help a friend understand auto tuning on his KAT500.  Bear
>>> in mind that I have not yet touched a KAT500, so I haven't been able to
>>> play with it to sort this out.  I'm just reading the manual.  I am
>>> biased by how the K3 ATU works, but from the manual, it looks like the
>>> KAT500 works differently.
>>>
>>> He is using the configuration in Figure 1 (all DB15 cables) with his K3,
>>> KPA500 and the KAT500.
>>>
>>>  From my reading of the manual, one must tap the KAT500 TUNE button to
>>> put it in tune mode, then apply RF from the K3.  Does that mean that if
>>> I'm in SSB mode on the K3 (my friend is almost entirely an SSB op), that
>>> I must either switch to a mode like CW to do this, followed by key-down,
>>> or use the TUNE (Hold XMIT) button on the K3 to get the required RF?
>>> Then tap the K3 TUNE/XMIT button again to put the K3 back in receive?
>>> That looks like 3 button pushes to do a KAT500 tune.  Right?  Or can the
>>> required RF be supplied in SSB mode by just speaking into the mic?
>>>
>>> Sorry, I know this would be easy if I could just try it!  Thanks!
>>>
>>> 73,
>>> Randy, KS4L

Re: [KAT500] Auto Tuning

Bill Clarke
I have been following this thread and others regarding the tuner. Seems
to me that I have little improvement towards a simple amplifier with the
auto-tuner from using my tube amp and manual tuner. My presets are all
marked - hence, QSY only takes seconds. I suppose when one gets used to
all the buttons to be pushed on the K3, amp, and tuner - it would also
be seconds. But, what have I gained by purchasing the amp and auto-tuner?

I won't be jumping on the bandwagon of the matching K-line amp and
auto-tuner until it all follows the K3 and the only selection I have to
make is turning the amp on or off. Too much to ask for?

Bill W2BLC

Re: [KAT500] Auto Tuning

I actually have a KAT500.  Using the KAT500 Utility, I set up the
antennas [I have 3, a very convenient number] so that the preferred
antenna is automatically selected and if one won't ever be used on that
band, I de-selected it.  All that works fine.

The memory segments vary by band, doing this from my wetware memory
[always chancy], 160=10KHz, 80-12=20KHz, 10=100KHz, and 6=200KHz.  The
manual puts it a bit differently ... "below 3 MHz," "between 3 and
[something]," can't remember and too tired to look it up, and so forth.
  So, I really didn't know where the center of the segments are.

I assumed they began at the bottom of the ham bands, so for 160 I
started at 1805 and worked up in 10KHz increments.  I do not know this
is right, it's complicated by my antennas.  The tri-bander is really
stable, although it is slowly falling apart, I find trap parts on the
ground under it, but the KAT500 gets a 1:1 anywhere on 3 bands with one
click.  The WARC vertical is not as stable, I think it waves in the wind
a little, but it's OK too.

The low band wire [235' sloping Vee] is fed with ladder line to a 4:1
DXE "balun" [please, let's not start that thread again, you all know
what I'm talking about :-)] is unstable in rain, snow, and fog, and the
KAT500 memorized settings need to be retuned in real-time.  That's *my*
problem, not the tuner's.

In AUTO or MAN, tuning consists of:

1.  Tapping the TUNE button on the KAT500

2.  Holding the XMIT button on the K3 [doesn't matter what mode I'm in]
so it goes into Tune mode -- TUN PWR needs to be 20-25W.

3.  Letting it tune

4.  Tapping the XMIT button

Doesn't matter if the KPA500 is in OPER or STBY, it doesn't key while
the KAT500 is tuning.  Mileage with other amps may vary.  I've tried the
"Fine Tune" thing by tapping TUNE [KAT500] right after it finishes,
sometimes it may find a better match, generally not, and it's usually
not worth the time on my particular antennas.  Mileage may vary with
different antennas.

I don't run AUTO on 80 and 160 because it seems to want to retune by
itself if I QSY much and this happens while I'm sending [or speaking in
the rare times I find myself on phone].  MAN mode seems to suppress that.

I've tried just holding XMIT and seeing if it wants to tune and then
tapping it again.  I think it works, results have been confusing to me
however [a fairly common occurrence as I accumulate birthday candles],
and I generally just do the above since I'm in control of that process.

The manual might have spelled out the center frequencies of the "tuning
segments" on each band a bit more clearly, but basically, I bought it, I
built it, I did what the manual said, I played with it and got familiar
with it, and I'm a happy ham.  I can think of many things that "might be
good and make it better," that's also the reason I never really
"finished," in my mind, any software I've ever written.  I just quit
because the customer was happy, accepted it, and paid us.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2013 Cal QSO Party 5-6 Oct 2013
- www.cqp.org

On 1/27/2013 7:22 PM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:

> If you really want to avoid being surprised by a tune operation commencing
> when you go to a new frequency, step through the bands at the intervals
> listed in the manual (or at least do this on your favorite
> bands/frequencies) to "teach" the KAT500 what the proper L/C/Ant settings
> are for each frequency. Then it will almost instantly return there next time
> you transmit.

Re: [KAT500] Auto Tuning

Lu Romero - W4LT
What would be even nicer is to have the KAT500 perform a
Autotune routine with a single button push, just like with
the internal tuner, using the same button, designed for that
purpose, in the same manner as all the YaeComWood
competition does with the lowly MFJ998.

As it is now, there is no advantage at my station to move
from my existing MFJ998 to the KAT500. Im sure I will hear
all about the three antenna ports vs two on the MFJ and auto
antenna switching... All positives, true... A more
"automatic" process would seal the deal for me to add
another Elecraft product.  As it is, another expenditure for
the same or more manual button pushing is a deal breaker.

Funny that the MFJ tuner integrates better with my secondary
radio (a Kenwood) than a KAT500 would with the K3; simply
using an "interface" made from a Ethernet cable with one end
cut off.

Cant *we* do it better?

Lu - W4LT
K-Line and a K1