KIO3B

Elecraft mailing list
If I recall, the K3S has now caught up with orders. If that is true,
when can we expect the KIO3B module to be offered for K3 upgrades?

Dan -- N3ND

Re: KIO3B

Matthew Cook
There are a lot of people waiting for this add-on to their K3.

73

Matthew
VK5ZM

On 9 September 2015 at 03:24, Dan Atchison via Elecraft <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> If I recall, the K3S has now caught up with orders. If that is true, when
> can we expect the KIO3B module to be offered for K3 upgrades?
>
> Dan -- N3ND

Re: KIO3B

Gary Gregory-2
Not sure why reading the reports. Seems like added cost for little to no advantage unless I have missed something while hiding under my rock.
Gary

[hidden email]> wrote:

> If I recall, the K3S has now caught up with orders. If that is true, when
> can we expect the KIO3B module to be offered for K3 upgrades?
>
> Dan -- N3ND

Re: KIO3B

Hi Gary,

The advantage of the KIO3B is that it can replace three cables (RS232, LINE IN, LINE OUT) with a single USB cable. Some want it just to reduce clutter at their home station, while others take the rig camping, RV-ing, hotel-inc, etc., and want it for the reduction in stuff they need to bring and hook up each time.

The USB port works with Windows, Linux and Apple platforms. There's also still an RS232 port for support of existing installations (adapter cable from RJ45 to DE9 provided).

On Sep 8, 2015, at 6:04 PM, Gary <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Not sure why reading the reports. Seems like added cost for little to no advantage unless I have missed something while hiding under my rock.
> Gary

Re: KIO3B

gm3sek
Existing P3 users who wish to use the USB interface on the KIO3B will also need to order the CBLP3Y 'Y' adapter cable. This new cable plugs into the RJ45 connector on the KIO3B and also into *both* DE9 connectors on the P3.

Two related questions:

1. Are there any backward-compatibility issues between the new KIO3B board and the older K3?

2. How will direct master-slave linking between two K3's be supported in future?

73 from Ian GM3SEK

Re: KIO3B

Oliver Dröse
Good explaination, Wayne. But it doesn't answer the question of "When?".
;-) Any news on that?

Tnx, Olli

Contest, DX & radio projects: http://www.dh8bqa.de

Am 09.09.2015 um 06:10 schrieb Wayne Burdick:

> Hi Gary,
>
> The advantage of the KIO3B is that it can replace three cables (RS232, LINE IN, LINE OUT) with a single USB cable. Some want it just to reduce clutter at their home station, while others take the rig camping, RV-ing, hotel-inc, etc., and want it for the reduction in stuff they need to bring and hook up each time.
>
> The USB port works with Windows, Linux and Apple platforms. There's also still an RS232 port for support of existing installations (adapter cable from RJ45 to DE9 provided).
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR
>

> On Sep 8, 2015, at 6:04 PM, Gary <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Not sure why reading the reports. Seems like added cost for little to no advantage unless I have missed something while hiding under my rock.
>> Gary

Re: KIO3B

ab2tc

Hi,

I had the impression that this was available now for K3 owners  but can't find it on the order page. Am I missing something?

AB2TC - Knut

Oliver Dröse wrote
Good explaination, Wayne. But it doesn't answer the question of "When?".
;-) Any news on that?

Tnx, Olli

Contest, DX & radio projects: http://www.dh8bqa.de

Am 09.09.2015 um 06:10 schrieb Wayne Burdick:
> Hi Gary,
>
> The advantage of the KIO3B is that it can replace three cables (RS232, LINE IN, LINE OUT) with a single USB cable. Some want it just to reduce clutter at their home station, while others take the rig camping, RV-ing, hotel-inc, etc., and want it for the reduction in stuff they need to bring and hook up each time.
>
> The USB port works with Windows, Linux and Apple platforms. There's also still an RS232 port for support of existing installations (adapter cable from RJ45 to DE9 provided).
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR

<snip>

Re: KIO3B

Guy Olinger K2AV
It has not been announced, as also have not some other K3S improvements to
be retrofitted to the K3, like the new improved audio board.

Rest assured there will be a great, very hard to miss, buzz on the
reflector when the rest of the retrofits are available.

The word is that they have to get production for these boards far enough
ahead of numbers needed for K3S construction. There seems to be a firm
demand for K3S.  I know three among my local hams who had a K3, who had
always talked about getting a second K3, and got a new K3S as their second
K3 when they came out. None of them sold their K3. :>)

The real biggie in the retrofitting, the KSYN3A, has been out there for K3
for a good while now.

73, Guy.

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 2:56 PM, ab2tc <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I had the impression that this was available now for K3 owners  but can't
> find it on the order page. Am I missing something?
>
> AB2TC - Knut
>

> Oliver Dröse wrote
> > Good explaination, Wayne. But it doesn't answer the question of "When?".
> > ;-) Any news on that?
> >
> > Tnx, Olli
> >
> > Contest, DX & radio projects: http://www.dh8bqa.de
> >

> > Am 09.09.2015 um 06:10 schrieb Wayne Burdick:
> >> Hi Gary,
> >>
> >> The advantage of the KIO3B is that it can replace three cables (RS232,
> >> LINE IN, LINE OUT) with a single USB cable. Some want it just to reduce
> >> clutter at their home station, while others take the rig camping,
> RV-ing,
> >> hotel-inc, etc., and want it for the reduction in stuff they need to
> >> bring and hook up each time.
> >>
> >> The USB port works with Windows, Linux and Apple platforms. There's also
> >> still an RS232 port for support of existing installations (adapter cable
> >> from RJ45 to DE9 provided).
> >>
> >> 73,
> >> Wayne
> >> N6KR
> >>
> > <snip>

Re: KIO3B

Ed W0YK
The KIO3B upgrade for the K3 is not yet released.  Last word from Eric was
"late 2015" and the current assemblies are needed for K3S shipments.  I'm
sure Elecraft has every desire to get it out for K3 owners ASAP!

Ed W0YK

I had the impression that this was available now for K3 owners  but can't
find it on the order page. Am I missing something?

AB2TC - Knut

Oliver Dröse wrote

> Good explaination, Wayne. But it doesn't answer the question of "When?".
> ;-) Any news on that?
>
> Tnx, Olli
>
> Contest, DX & radio projects: http://www.dh8bqa.de
>

> Am 09.09.2015 um 06:10 schrieb Wayne Burdick:
>> Hi Gary,
>>
>> The advantage of the KIO3B is that it can replace three cables (RS232,
>> LINE IN, LINE OUT) with a single USB cable. Some want it just to reduce
>> clutter at their home station, while others take the rig camping, RV-ing,
>> hotel-inc, etc., and want it for the reduction in stuff they need to
>> bring and hook up each time.
>>
>> The USB port works with Windows, Linux and Apple platforms. There's also
>> still an RS232 port for support of existing installations (adapter cable
>> from RJ45 to DE9 provided).
>>
>> 73,
>> Wayne
>> N6KR
>>
> <snip>

Re: KIO3B

Dr. William J. Schmidt, II
Running out of days in 2015...

Owner - Operator
Big Signal Ranch – K9ZC
Staunton, Illinois

Owner – Operator
Villa Grand Piton – J68HZ
Soufriere, St. Lucia W.I.
Rent it: www.VillaGrandPiton.com

email:  [hidden email]

I had the impression that this was available now for K3 owners  but can't
find it on the order page. Am I missing something?

AB2TC - Knut

Oliver Dröse wrote

> Good explaination, Wayne. But it doesn't answer the question of "When?".
> ;-) Any news on that?
>
> Tnx, Olli
>
> Contest, DX & radio projects: http://www.dh8bqa.de
>

> Am 09.09.2015 um 06:10 schrieb Wayne Burdick:
>> Hi Gary,
>>
>> The advantage of the KIO3B is that it can replace three cables (RS232,
>> LINE IN, LINE OUT) with a single USB cable. Some want it just to reduce
>> clutter at their home station, while others take the rig camping, RV-ing,
>> hotel-inc, etc., and want it for the reduction in stuff they need to
>> bring and hook up each time.
>>
>> The USB port works with Windows, Linux and Apple platforms. There's also
>> still an RS232 port for support of existing installations (adapter cable
>> from RJ45 to DE9 provided).
>>
>> 73,
>> Wayne
>> N6KR
>>
> <snip>

Re: KIO3B

Gary Gregory-2
And Santa has probably decided I have not been good all year so I'm guessing next year....sigh

Gary

Re: KIO3B

Jerry
Nice try guys  but I don't think you are going to suck Don in on this one....

Best regards,

Jerry
W1IE

And Santa has probably decided I have not been good all year so I'm guessing next year....sigh

Gary

Re: KIO3B

Don Wilhelm-4
Jerry,

You are correct, I am not going to speculate other than to say "it will
happen sometime", but that may not be the end of this year as was
projected back at Dayton in May 2015.
I have no idea when that 'sometime' is because I have no information
about the production capability of the board house supplying Elecraft
with the KIO3B vs. the number of K3S units being ordered and shipped.

When there are enough in house to supply both the K3S and the expected
deluge of orders anticipated for K3 upgrades, then you will see the
KIO3B offered for K3 upgrades.

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go astray".

On 12/15/2015 7:50 PM, Jerry wrote:
> Nice try guys  but I don't think you are going to suck Don in on this one....
>
> Best regards,
>
> Jerry
> W1IE

Re: KIO3B

Ed W0YK
Perhaps.  And, if so, that is good news because it means K3S sales volume is
strong and therefore Elecraft.   ;>)

Ed W0YK

Re: KIO3B

Merv Schweigert
Im sure they will come in some due time..

What is strange for some of us outsiders is the logic

We will have boards when the K3S demand is met?  sounds like there is not
enough money to buy more boards than what they expect K3S sales to be?
Ordering another few hundred extra of the boards would solve the problem
of not
having enough on hand.   Or is the supplier that slow?  Can they only
provide a
few boards a week?
Seems the K3 was funded partially by guys paying up front and having a 6
month
wait when this started years back,  I assume a lot of those are still
around and
willing to pay up front if money is that short now.
Stretching  some of this stuff out for a year or more does not help
business,  only
the most dedicated go for that idea.
Perhaps its a labor shortage/paying for more labor,  cant sell them yet
as no
instructions written,  or "testing" done?   Seems there are a number of
guys
willing to help out on that end.

So all the quiet and non fulfilled talk is just that,  talk,  just being
honest and
frank about whats up and why its not available would put to rest the
speculation
and angst that silence brews.

Not criticizing,  just wondering,  I need a couple and keep putting off
installing
KYSN3 boards in one radio,  its been apart for so many mods the screws are
wearing out,  had to replace them to keep it decent looking.  Had
chipped off
the black.

Which reminds me on another thing,  I have had lots of knobs crack on the K3
Elecraft has been super at replacing them,  the last ones I got have a
metal
insert and will never crack I assume,  but they are butt ugly, instead
of semi
shiny black knobs,  they are a dull black material that looks like
something that
came on some military piece of junk.  Not even a close match to the
other knobs.
Wazzup with this deal...

73 Merv K9FD/KH6

Jerry,

> You are correct, I am not going to speculate other than to say "it
> will happen sometime", but that may not be the end of this year as was
> projected back at Dayton in May 2015.
> I have no idea when that 'sometime' is because I have no information
> about the production capability of the board house supplying Elecraft
> with the KIO3B vs. the number of K3S units being ordered and shipped.
>
> When there are enough in house to supply both the K3S and the expected
> deluge of orders anticipated for K3 upgrades, then you will see the
> KIO3B offered for K3 upgrades.
>
> "The best laid plans of mice and men often go astray".

> On 12/15/2015 7:50 PM, Jerry wrote:
>> Nice try guys  but I don't think you are going to suck Don in on this
>> one....
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Jerry
>> W1IE

Re: KIO3B

Dr. William J. Schmidt, II
Unfortunately "wait for it" doesn't get my broke K3, that needs a KIO3B, fixed any faster.   Ill be on J6 next week working some of you (with my Icom).

Owner - Operator
Big Signal Ranch – K9ZC
Staunton, Illinois

Owner – Operator
Villa Grand Piton - J68HZ
Soufriere, St. Lucia W.I.
Rent it: www.VillaGrandPiton.com

email:  [hidden email]

> On Dec 15, 2015, at 8:00 PM, Ed Muns <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Perhaps.  And, if so, that is good news because it means K3S sales volume is
> strong and therefore Elecraft.   ;>)
>
> Ed W0YK

>>> Wayne
>>> N6KR
>> <snip>

Re: KIO3B

David Glasser
Hi
I have no more of a right to respond to your post than you have to write it.
As yet I am not a licensed ham, but a prospective candidate to join the ham radio hobby.
I have no vested interest in the Elecraft business, neither do I have ties to any of the management personnel.
In doing my research as to what equipment to purchase, there were a number of aspects I took into consideration, price was not the most important. "Customer Service" was paramount, made in the USA was very important, supporting documentation and acceptance from the ham fraternity was a condition of my final decision.
Whilst this is not an exhaustive list of criteria to purchase from Elecraft or any other supplier, no other supplier came close to meeting all of these criteria.
Your personal list of criticisms in this post is totally unfortunate and uncalled for. If you are genuinely invested in your hobby in these days of extremely difficult business conditions and took the trouble to visit with the Elecraft folk at their manufacturing plant you will be amazed to see just how professional a business entity they are and just how far they do go to satisfy all the needs of their customers (and prospective customers)
What is needed in these challenging economic times is overwhelming support from their customers, even if Elecraft are unable to deliver every permutation of what we the users "think" they should be delivering to us.
In my opinion, having visited the manufacturing facility, they are doing more for their customers now and in the future, to stay invested for the future in facilities, personnel and product development so that we as hobbyists can remain invested in our hobby.
It is about time we stopped trying to second guess and critically challenge management publicly, before we have taken the time to comprehend their role in producing a product of great quality.
We, the customers, should strive to encourage and support. That is far more difficult than degradation. Working with Elecraft in 2016 and beyond is our job to ensure we have a supplier committed to the hobby for many years to come.
David Glasser

Sent from my iPad

> [...]
>
> 73 Merv K9FD/KH6
>

> Jerry,
>>
>> You are correct, I am not going to speculate other than to say "it will happen sometime", but that may not be the end of this year as was projected back at Dayton in May 2015.
>> I have no idea when that 'sometime' is because I have no information about the production capability of the board house supplying Elecraft with the KIO3B vs. the number of K3S units being ordered and shipped.
>>
>> When there are enough in house to supply both the K3S and the expected deluge of orders anticipated for K3 upgrades, then you will see the KIO3B offered for K3 upgrades.
>>
>> "The best laid plans of mice and men often go astray".
>>
>> 73,
>> Don W3FPR
>>
>>> On 12/15/2015 7:50 PM, Jerry wrote:
>>> Nice try guys  but I don't think you are going to suck Don in on this one....

Re: KIO3B

Jim Bolit
You need raw material and labor to come together at the same time to build ANYTHING.

Henry Ford proved that some years ago.

It could be cash flow, marketing strategy, or other business reasons.

Jim

W6AIM

> [...]

other knobs.
Wazzup with this deal...

73 Merv K9FD/KH6

Jerry,

> You are correct, I am not going to speculate other than to say "it
> will happen sometime", but that may not be the end of this year as was
> projected back at Dayton in May 2015.
> I have no idea when that 'sometime' is because I have no information
> about the production capability of the board house supplying Elecraft
> with the KIO3B vs. the number of K3S units being ordered and shipped.
>
> When there are enough in house to supply both the K3S and the expected
> deluge of orders anticipated for K3 upgrades, then you will see the
> KIO3B offered for K3 upgrades.
>
> "The best laid plans of mice and men often go astray".

> On 12/15/2015 7:50 PM, Jerry wrote:
>> Nice try guys  but I don't think you are going to suck Don in on this

Re: KIO3B

Don Wilhelm-4
I am certain the money is not the problem - at least for Elecraft, but
perhaps for their board house.
The boards are being populated by a board assembly house in California.
In order to increase their production of the finished boards, they would
likely have to hire more people and purchase more equipment.
That is not a smart business move if the volume will taper off after the
"crunch".
So we have to wait until things 'even out' before those boards can be
available for K3 retrofit.

If a cookie manufacturer has capability of producing 100k cookies a day,
but the holiday season customers want 125k cookies per day, do you think
the manufacturer would increase the production facilities - especially
if the demand would fall off to only 100k per day after the holidays?
It is the same principle.

I am quite happy with the RS-232 interface for my K3 and already have
the external soundcard working, so I will not be begging to get the
schedule advanced.

<<snip>>
> We will have boards when the K3S demand is met?  sounds like there is not
> enough money to buy more boards than what they expect K3S sales to be?
> Ordering another few hundred extra of the boards would solve the problem
> of not
> having enough on hand.

Re: KIO3B

Dr. William J. Schmidt, II
I feel a bit responsible for this thread and it needs to end. The issue for me is that my radio is at my place on J6 where my electronics lab is not. I have three options:  1. Bring the radio back and fix it, 2. Try to fix it down there (with very minimal resources), or 3. Bring a new part down with me to swap out and trouble shoot the broken part back here in the states.  Ordering a new KIO3 would be less than smart.

I decided last night i would simply order a new K3s, tell Elecraft to hot shot the KIO3B out of it and keep the radio/ send the radio with a replacement KIO3B when they become available (months from now, i don't care).  Theres more than one way to skin this cat!