KPA-Anything Over 500 Watts

Edward A. Dauer
At the time I bought the KPA500 I looked seriously at a number of
higher-power alternatives, including some from Tokyo Hy-Power I think it
was called, now QRT.  I hired an electrician to assess what I would need
by way of AC mains wiring to support an amp safely.  The current draw on
the KPA500 was at the limit of what I could do without running a new
dedicated 220 line to the operating position.  The cost of adding a new
line would have been significant, even in this house which was built in
1996 and has wiring adequate to support electric everything, including
heat, on a Colorado mountain top yet.  Hence I bought the KPA500, which I
just plug into the existing 117 sockets.  I wonder if that is the location
of a break point in the marketability curve - i.e. the point at which an
amp has for at least some potential buyers a total cost in excess of its
price.

Ted, KN1CBR

Re: KPA-Anything Over 500 Watts

W1KSZ
In my case, I piggy-backed my 220 outlets from the Electric Dryer service.
Since I don't run the Dryer and the Amp at the same time, no problem.

73, Dick, W1KSZ