KPA500 Clicks

AI9T
During a couple recent RTTY contest I have noticed that my KPA500 is
making a noise. It kind of sounds like a relay clicking in and out. When
I first noticed it I thought it was a fan relay or something to do with
the fan. But after hearing this longer it seems to be related to the
temp.  It clicks in an out around the temps of 62C and 56C. It kind or
reminds me of an old radiator warming up and cooling off. I took the
cover off yesterday and checked the nut that holds the  transformer in
place. I thought maybe that spring washer might be a little loose but it
wasn't.

Anyone else ever notice this? Hopefully it is not a serious problem.

Thanks

Steve AI9T

http://www.ai9t.com

AI9T DX Cluster

Version 4 AI9T   Telnet: dxc.ai9t.com port 7300
Version 6 AI9T-2 Telnet: dxc.ai9t.com port 7373 (CW + Skimmer)

Re: KPA500 Clicks

Sebastian, W4AS
I have noticed the same clicks with mine.  I run mostly meteor scatter on 6 meters, which is somewhat similar to RTTY - long transmit times with a high average output power.

After emailing Elecraft support on May 6th of last year concerning a failure of my KAT500 tuner (which apparently had nothing to do with the amp’s noise), I was told this was due to rapid expansion and contraction of the heat sink, and even though it sounded like a relay, it was not necessarily coming from a relay.  What I found strange was that this noise didn’t occur until the amp was several months old.  I was offered the option to ship back the KPA500 in order to track down the noise, and I did so.

After a few days, I received a telephone call from Elecraft with their analysis of the noise.  It was their belief that indeed the noise was coming from rapid expansion/contraction of a metal piece in the amp; specifically what is known as the Z-bracket.  At the time I was told that a few other customers had experienced the same issue, although none were in the US and mine was the first they had the opportunity to look at.  The Z-bracket was replaced with one of a different metal composition, and I was told that several tests were run on the amp and there were no other issues.  I received the amp back and did not experience the clicking noise at first.

A few weeks later, using the amp in the same manner I had before, the clicking noise came back.  Once again I contacted Elecraft support.  Their response was the same, the rapid expansion and contraction of the Z-bracket was what I was hearing, and there were now several KPA500s which exhibited the same clicking noise, but their conclusion was there was no damage caused by this.  In addition, there were no faults in the fault log.

I wonder how many others have experienced the same clicking noise, and if the issue has been solved.  While I accept their analysis, I still find it strange that if the amp is on, yet I haven’t transmitted for several minutes, I will still hear an occasional click.

73 de Sebastian, W4AS

On Jan 26, 2014, at 3:03 PM, Steve AI9T <[hidden email]> wrote:

> During a couple recent RTTY contest I have noticed that my KPA500 is making a noise. It kind of sounds like a relay clicking in and out. When I first noticed it I thought it was a fan relay or something to do with the fan. But after hearing this longer it seems to be related to the temp.  It clicks in an out around the temps of 62C and 56C. It kind or reminds me of an old radiator warming up and cooling off. I took the cover off yesterday and checked the nut that holds the  transformer in place. I thought maybe that spring washer might be a little loose but it wasn't.
>
> Anyone else ever notice this? Hopefully it is not a serious problem.
>
> Thanks

> Steve AI9T

Re: KPA500 Clicks

Stewart@twinwood
Heard it today for the first time. I find it quite soothing, but would like to
know more about it...

:-)

73
Stewart G3RXQ
On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 18:16:52 -0500, Sebastian, W4AS wrote:
> [...]
that if the amp is on, yet I haven't transmitted for several minutes, I will
still hear an occasional click.

> 73 de Sebastian, W4AS
>

> On Jan 26, 2014, at 3:03 PM, Steve AI9T <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> During a couple recent RTTY contest I have noticed that my KPA500 is making a
noise. It kind of sounds like a relay clicking in and out. When I first noticed
it I thought it was a fan relay or something to do with the fan. But after
hearing this longer it seems to be related to the temp.  It clicks in an out
around the temps of 62C and 56C. It kind or reminds me of an old radiator
warming up and cooling off. I took the cover off yesterday and checked the nut
that holds the  transformer in place. I thought maybe that spring washer might
be a little loose but it wasn't.

>> Anyone else ever notice this? Hopefully it is not a serious problem.

Re: KPA500 Clicks

Cady, Fred
Mine does it too.
Fred KE7X

> [...]

> 73 de Sebastian, W4AS
>

> On Jan 26, 2014, at 3:03 PM, Steve AI9T <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> During a couple recent RTTY contest I have noticed that my KPA500 is making a
noise. It kind of sounds like a relay clicking in and out. When I first noticed
it I thought it was a fan relay or something to do with the fan. But after
hearing this longer it seems to be related to the temp.  It clicks in an out
around the temps of 62C and 56C. It kind or reminds me of an old radiator
warming up and cooling off. I took the cover off yesterday and checked the nut
that holds the  transformer in place. I thought maybe that spring washer might
be a little loose but it wasn't.

>> Anyone else ever notice this? Hopefully it is not a serious problem.

Re: KPA500 Clicks

k6dgw
Finally!  An advantage to being nearly deaf ... mine doesn't.  At least,
if I can't hear it, it isn't there, that's my story and I'm sticking to
it. :-)  Since I use headphones 100% of the time, I doubt I'd hear it
even if I could hear.

FT5ZM is S9 [i.e. -73dBm, I calibrated my K3 with my service monitor] on
14023 here in Auburn CA [No Cal] right now.  Pileup is only about 30KHz
wide.  Strangely, it's about that wide, although a bit sparser, when
he's transmitting too. :-)  I understand they're running Elecraft gear,
or at least a lot of it.

Since Amsterdam Is. is reasonably close to our antipode, I figured I'd
likely hear all the Up Cops but never them.  I'm really surprised.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2014 Cal QSO Party 4-5 Oct 2014
- www.cqp.org

On 1/26/2014 4:13 PM, Cady, Fred wrote:
> Mine does it too.
> Fred KE7X

Re: KPA500 Clicks

Bruce Beford-2
I seem to recall this was reported some time ago. IIRC, for that particular
op, it ended up being slightly loosened hardware on the main heat sink assy.
I would check all hardware (internally and externally) and see if anything
has loosened up, through thermal cycling.

Bruce, N1RX

Re: KPA500 Clicks

I have "clicks" in my house from similar thermal expansion and
contraction.  It is most noticeable during the Winter season.  The
KPA500 is similar, and it is not really a problem, just the consequence
of things heating and then cooling.

I would guess that the "clicks" could be eliminated by adding fiber
washers under the screws, but then the fiber washers would also expand
and contract resulting in loose fastening hardware.  So my bottom line,
I would rather hear the clicks than be exposed to the possibility of
loose hardware.

On 1/26/2014 6:16 PM, Sebastian, W4AS wrote:

> I have noticed the same clicks with mine.  I run mostly meteor scatter on 6 meters, which is somewhat similar to RTTY - long transmit times with a high average output power.
>
> After emailing Elecraft support on May 6th of last year concerning a failure of my KAT500 tuner (which apparently had nothing to do with the amp’s noise), I was told this was due to rapid expansion and contraction of the heat sink, and even though it sounded like a relay, it was not necessarily coming from a relay.  What I found strange was that this noise didn’t occur until the amp was several months old.  I was offered the option to ship back the KPA500 in order to track down the noise, and I did so.
>
> After a few days, I received a telephone call from Elecraft with their analysis of the noise.  It was their belief that indeed the noise was coming from rapid expansion/contraction of a metal piece in the amp; specifically what is known as the Z-bracket.  At the time I was told that a few other customers had experienced the same issue, although none were in the US and mine was the first they had the opportunity to look at.  The Z-bracket was replaced with one of a different metal composition, and I was told that several tests were run on the amp and there were no other issues.  I received the amp back and did not experience the clicking noise at first.
>
> A few weeks later, using the amp in the same manner I had before, the clicking noise came back.  Once again I contacted Elecraft support.  Their response was the same, the rapid expansion and contraction of the Z-bracket was what I was hearing, and there were now several KPA500s which exhibited the same clicking noise, but their conclusion was there was no damage caused by this.  In addition, there were no faults in the fault log.
>
> I wonder how many others have experienced the same clicking noise, and if the issue has been solved.  While I accept their analysis, I still find it strange that if the amp is on, yet I haven’t transmitted for several minutes, I will still hear an occasional click.
>

> 73 de Sebastian, W4AS

Amsterdam Island, was: KPA500 Clicks

Bill Frantz
On 1/26/14 at 4:37 PM, [hidden email] (Fred Jensen) wrote:

>FT5ZM is S9 [i.e. -73dBm, I calibrated my K3 with my service
>monitor] on 14023 here in Auburn CA [No Cal] right now.  Pileup
>is only about 30KHz wide.  Strangely, it's about that wide,
>although a bit sparser, when he's transmitting too. :-)  I
>understand they're running Elecraft gear, or at least a lot of it.

That explains the strange looking stuff I was seeing on my P3
while working PSK on 20M. :-) What a pileup! (I'm continuing to
try to fight my CW above 8 WPM so I can play in that ballpark.)

BTW, I normally run the P3 covering a wide span when running
PSK, because I can see the detail on the computer waterfall and
sometimes find a PSK station way outside the normal range with
the P3.

Cheers - Bill

Re: Amsterdam Island, was: KPA500 Clicks

WB4SON
"Strangely, it's about that wide, although a bit sparser, when he's
transmitting too"

No kidding!  It is like 95% of the world is transmitting in the blind.  And
I'm going to be hearing "up, up, up" in my sleep for days.

The ops do have great ears and great gear.  I'm very impressed with signal
levels on 30/20/17 so far.

73, Bob, WB4SON

73, Bob, WB4SON

On 1/26/2014 7:46 PM, Bob wrote:
> "Strangely, it's about that wide, although a bit sparser, when he's
> transmitting too"
>
> No kidding!  It is like 95% of the world is transmitting in the blind.  And
> I'm going to be hearing "up, up, up" in my sleep for days.

Yep, the pile never really subsides, but he calls someone and 30 signals
pop up to add to the blind callers.  I'm retired, I can wait a few days,
I'm not a Big Gun.

> The ops do have great ears and great gear.  I'm very impressed with signal
> levels on 30/20/17 so far.

I am stunned!  They're close to the N. Cal antipode, Indian Ocean
stations are usually ESP for me, these guys are over S9.  And they're
picking stations out of a huge pile very quickly.  Great ops!

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2014 Cal QSO Party 4-5 Oct 2014
- www.cqp.org

Re: KPA500 Clicks

Ken Chandler
I have a very early KPA500, serial in low 200's.
I have a quiet outside shack and
I've heard the Clicks since day 1.
I've always thought these were part of the amps normal operating noise environment.
If fact, I tend to notice more if I don't hear the clicks.
The description given - The passage of hot water through cold piping in the heating system at first switch-on in early mornings is spot on ..... A soothing click click click...
The click is an old friend ! and let's me know that's all's running well.

Ken.. G0ORH - K2, K3, P3, KAT500, KPA500

Sent from my iPad

> [...]
>>>
>>> During a couple recent RTTY contest I have noticed that my KPA500 is making a
> noise. It kind of sounds like a relay clicking in and out. When I first noticed
> it I thought it was a fan relay or something to do with the fan. But after
> hearing this longer it seems to be related to the temp.  It clicks in an out
> around the temps of 62C and 56C. It kind or reminds me of an old radiator
> warming up and cooling off. I took the cover off yesterday and checked the nut
> that holds the  transformer in place. I thought maybe that spring washer might
> be a little loose but it wasn't.
>>>
>>> Anyone else ever notice this? Hopefully it is not a serious problem.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> --
>>> 73
>>>
>>> Steve AI9T

Re: Amsterdam Island, was: KPA500 Clicks

Cookie
A lot of the world is transmitting half the time in the blind because the LIDs that are sending dits and UP UP, etc. cover the DX station even if they can hear the DX when the noise subsided a little.  The week end is over and some of the masses will have to go back to work.  When the first day is on a week end you can expect Bedlam for rare DX, but it will be worth it if I can work FT5ZM.  So far, no joy!

Willis 'Cookie' Cooke, TDXS DX Chairman
K5EWJ & Trustee N5BPS, USS Cavalla, USS Stewart

________________________________
> "Strangely, it's about that wide, although a bit sparser, when he's
> transmitting too"
>
> No kidding!  It is like 95% of the world is transmitting in the blind.  And
> I'm going to be hearing "up, up, up" in my sleep for days.

Yep, the pile never really subsides, but he calls someone and 30 signals pop up to add to the blind callers.  I'm retired, I can wait a few days, I'm not a Big Gun.

> The ops do have great ears and great gear.  I'm very impressed with signal
> levels on 30/20/17 so far.

I am stunned!  They're close to the N. Cal antipode, Indian Ocean stations are usually ESP for me, these guys are over S9.  And they're picking stations out of a huge pile very quickly.  Great ops!

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2014 Cal QSO Party 4-5 Oct 2014
- www.cqp.org

Re: KPA500 Clicks

Richard Squire - HB9ANM
My KPA500 s/n 107 produces clicks from time to time, even in STBY or on RX.
Glad I now know why - the Z bracket! Nothing to worry about!

73
Richard - HB9ANM

Richard - HB9ANM

Re: KPA500 Clicks

AI9T
Thanks for all the comments on the KPA500 Clicks. Looks like I'm not the
only one that has noticed it. I guess I won't worry about it.
I have had the AMP for a few months now and have been very satisfied
with it so far.

Thanks again!

On 1/26/2014 3:03 PM, Steve AI9T wrote:

> During a couple recent RTTY contest I have noticed that my KPA500 is
> making a noise. It kind of sounds like a relay clicking in and out.
> When I first noticed it I thought it was a fan relay or something to
> do with the fan. But after hearing this longer it seems to be related
> to the temp.  It clicks in an out around the temps of 62C and 56C. It
> kind or reminds me of an old radiator warming up and cooling off. I
> took the cover off yesterday and checked the nut that holds the
> transformer in place. I thought maybe that spring washer might be a
> little loose but it wasn't.
>
> Anyone else ever notice this? Hopefully it is not a serious problem.
>
> Thanks

Re: KPA500 Clicks

Dave Perry N4QS
Steve,

My KPA500 also has the clicks and pops as it heats up and expands.  As I
recall, Elecraft offers a fix for this.  The fix involves replacing the
metal screws that fasten the heat sink to the chassis.  They had to go with
a larger screw to obtain a tighter hold on the bracket for the heat sink.  I
assume this has been fixed in newer models.  My serial number is in the low
200s.  I have never bothered to install this fix, but the clicks do get
annoying at times.  Is this fix still available?  I would think that you can
search the archives for a discussion on this topic right after the amp came
out.

73,

Dave, N4QS

Thanks for all the comments on the KPA500 Clicks. Looks like I'm not the
only one that has noticed it. I guess I won't worry about it.
I have had the AMP for a few months now and have been very satisfied with it
so far.

Thanks again!

Steve AI9T

http://www.ai9t.com

AI9T DX Cluster

Version 4 AI9T   Telnet: dxc.ai9t.com port 7300
Version 6 AI9T-2 Telnet: dxc.ai9t.com port 7373 (CW + Skimmer)

On 1/26/2014 3:03 PM, Steve AI9T wrote:

> During a couple recent RTTY contest I have noticed that my KPA500 is
> making a noise. It kind of sounds like a relay clicking in and out.
> When I first noticed it I thought it was a fan relay or something to
> do with the fan. But after hearing this longer it seems to be related
> to the temp.  It clicks in an out around the temps of 62C and 56C. It
> kind or reminds me of an old radiator warming up and cooling off. I
> took the cover off yesterday and checked the nut that holds the
> transformer in place. I thought maybe that spring washer might be a
> little loose but it wasn't.
>
> Anyone else ever notice this? Hopefully it is not a serious problem.
>
> Thanks

Re: KPA500 Clicks

AI9T
Hi Dave

I didn't know that Elecraft had a fix for this. I will send Tech Support
an email and ask them about it. My Amp is fairly new. I built the kit
last May. The serial number is 1469.

On 1/27/2014 3:27 PM, Dave Perry wrote:

> Steve,
>
> My KPA500 also has the clicks and pops as it heats up and expands.  As I
> recall, Elecraft offers a fix for this.  The fix involves replacing the
> metal screws that fasten the heat sink to the chassis.  They had to go with
> a larger screw to obtain a tighter hold on the bracket for the heat sink.  I
> assume this has been fixed in newer models.  My serial number is in the low
> 200s.  I have never bothered to install this fix, but the clicks do get
> annoying at times.  Is this fix still available?  I would think that you can
> search the archives for a discussion on this topic right after the amp came
> out.
>
> 73,
>
> Dave, N4QS

Re: KPA500 Clicks

mcduffie
On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 14:27:59 -0600, Dave Perry wrote:

> Steve,
>
> My KPA500 also has the clicks and pops as it heats up and expands.

I'm rather curious about this clicking people are talking about.  I have
SN 1255 and have heard none of what is being described.  I've purposely
heated it from cool to in the 70s where the fan kicks into warp speed.
At first I was ready to jump in with my "clicking" experience, but it
was true clicking, not ticking that others seem to be describing.

My clicking experience was rather short lived and I attributed it to a
poor RF situation with my six meter antenna.  For a short time, I would
sometimes get a relay click and rather high VSWR indicated when on six.
I replaced a few jumper cables and all was well again, including the
output of the KPA.  It got even better when I got that Mother's Fine
Junque tuner out of the circuit and installed the KAP.  It's nice to see
just about the same reflected in both units now on the lower bands.
Before, I could get the tuner to show zero reflected, but the amp
didn't.  Sometimes I would slightly off-tune the tuner to get the amp
down better.  Don't get me wrong.  All readings were under 1.5:1.

Anyway, I sure haven't heard any heatsink ticking at all, even when it
was brand new.

Just another person's experience for reference.

Gary - AG0N
--
http://ag0n.net
3055: http://ag0n.net/irlp/3055

Re: KPA500 Clicks

Sebastian, W4AS
Please post here if Elecraft confirms they have a fix for this.

73 de Sebastian, W4AS

On Jan 27, 2014, at 3:54 PM, Steve AI9T <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Dave
>
> I didn't know that Elecraft had a fix for this. I will send Tech Support an email and ask them about it. My Amp is fairly new. I built the kit last May. The serial number is 1469.

> Steve AI9T
>
> http://www.ai9t.com
>
> AI9T DX Cluster
>
> Version 4 AI9T   Telnet: dxc.ai9t.com port 7300
> Version 6 AI9T-2 Telnet: dxc.ai9t.com port 7373 (CW + Skimmer)
>

> On 1/27/2014 3:27 PM, Dave Perry wrote:
>> Steve,
>>
>> My KPA500 also has the clicks and pops as it heats up and expands.  As I
>> recall, Elecraft offers a fix for this.  The fix involves replacing the
>> metal screws that fasten the heat sink to the chassis.  They had to go with
>> a larger screw to obtain a tighter hold on the bracket for the heat sink.  I
>> assume this has been fixed in newer models.  My serial number is in the low
>> 200s.  I have never bothered to install this fix, but the clicks do get
>> annoying at times.  Is this fix still available?  I would think that you can
>> search the archives for a discussion on this topic right after the amp came
>> out.
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> Dave, N4QS

Re: KPA500 Clicks

Sebastian, W4AS
I sent an email to Elecraft support; an errata to the owner’s manual now specifically mentions this issue:

"During heavy use, you may hear audible clicking sounds, particularly as the amplifier components cool down. This is normal. It does not indicate that the amplifier is being overly stressed.”

The errata can be found here: http://www.elecraft.com/manual/E740150E KPA500 Owner's Manual Errata C4-2.pdf