KPA500 Cooling

Chris Derr
I am anticipating the arrival of a new KAT500.  I plan to place the KAT500 on top of a KPA500 - like the pictures on the News section of the Elecraft website.  I am wondering what this may do to the air flow through the cooling vent on the top of the KPA500, and what influence this may have on cooling the KPA500.

Chris

Sent from my iPad

Re: KPA500 Cooling

Bill K9YEQ
Chris,

I think it would be better under, so there is no obstruction to airflow, and
the heat radiation wouldn't travel up into the KAT500.  The KAT is designed
for the amp to sit on top if my recall is correct.

73,
Bill
K9YEQ

Re: KPA500 Cooling

Chris,

As I recall, the KAT500 can sit on top of the KPA500 with no problem.
I do believe the "safe" position is for the KPA500 on top, but some time
ago, Wayne stated that the KAT500 could be on top just as well.

On 10/3/2012 4:26 PM, Chris Derr wrote:
> I am anticipating the arrival of a new KAT500.  I plan to place the KAT500 on top of a KPA500 - like the pictures on the News section of the Elecraft website.  I am wondering what this may do to the air flow through the cooling vent on the top of the KPA500, and what influence this may have on cooling the KPA500.

Re: KPA500 Cooling

Gary Gregory
*Hi Guy's,

I have mine under the K3 sitting on the desktop and this makes the height
of the K3 just right for me. I now don't use the bails on anything. My P3
is on top of the KPA500 on the left as you look at them so my airflow is
not restricted at all.

YMMV......

73
*
On 4 October 2012 07:11, Bill K9YEQ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Chris,
>
> I think it would be better under, so there is no obstruction to airflow,
> and
> the heat radiation wouldn't travel up into the KAT500.  The KAT is designed
> for the amp to sit on top if my recall is correct.
>
> 73,
> Bill
> K9YEQ

*Gary*
*Start the day off slow, then taper off.........*
K3 #679
KPA500FT #18
KAT500FT 007
P3 #1629

Re: KPA500 Cooling

John K3TN
I ordered my KAT500 and spoke with the designer there. It can go either under or over the KPA500. If put over, the temperature of the KPA will run higher so the KPA fan will run faster but still within tolerance.

I currently have my KPA sitting ontop of a MFJ automatic antenna tuner, plan on placing the KAT under the KPA - rather not increase how hard the fan works and don't need the KAT higher up anyway.

John K3TN