KPA500 delay in getting to full power

Mike Schultz KS0T
    A problem just showed up with my 4 month old amp. If I send a string of dashes at 30 Watts out of my K3, the KPA amp puts out around 120 Watts for the first second or two then goes up to the expected output of 480 Watts.  This is on 20 meters to a Dummy load through my KAT500 tuner in bypass.  The ACCY plug was disconnected and PTT was direct from K3 to KPA500.  Amp firmware was beta 1.33 but no change when I reverted to release V1.23.
Any ideas while I continue the CQWW SSB contest at a frustrating 100 Watts?

73, Mike KS0T

Re: KPA500 delay in getting to full power

Don Wilhelm-4
Mike,

Make certain it is the amp and not the K3.
Check the actual output from the K3 - disconnect the amp and drive the
dummy load through an external wattmeter.  Don't change anything in the K3.
Does the power out follow the same pattern?
Try a band change (up and then back down) and then test again.

What I am saying is that it may be the K3 behavior instead of the amp.
The K3 power control starts out at a low value and then builds up to the
requested power output.  The power output control is reset on a band
change and at power on.
It should only take a couple dit times, it sounds like yours may be
responding more slowly.
Probably not as noticeable at lower power, but certainly noticeable at
the output of the amp.

On 10/27/2013 7:58 AM, Mike Schultz KS0T wrote:

>      A problem just showed up with my 4 month old amp. If I send a string of dashes at 30 Watts out of my K3, the KPA amp puts out around 120 Watts for the first second or two then goes up to the expected output of 480 Watts.  This is on 20 meters to a Dummy load through my KAT500 tuner in bypass.  The ACCY plug was disconnected and PTT was direct from K3 to KPA500.  Amp firmware was beta 1.33 but no change when I reverted to release V1.23.
> Any ideas while I continue the CQWW SSB contest at a frustrating 100 Watts?
>
> 73, Mike KS0T

Re: KPA500 delay in getting to full power

Randy Moore
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but wrt Don's comments, yesterday I noticed that my K3 is behaving oddly after a tune cycle of the K3  internal ATU.  On SSB, in the CQWW contest, it was taking at least a half-dozen transmissions of my call sign to get back to full power.  I have the Power control set to 95 w., but after the the tune cycle output dropped to around 50 w., and VERY slowly returned to full output.  This is normal except that it seemed to take a LOT longer than before.  Does this indicate a problem (other than my frustration)?

73,
Randy, KS4L

> On Oct 27, 2013, at 8:01 AM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Mike,
>
> Make certain it is the amp and not the K3.
> Check the actual output from the K3 - disconnect the amp and drive the dummy load through an external wattmeter.  Don't change anything in the K3.
> Does the power out follow the same pattern?
> Try a band change (up and then back down) and then test again.
>
> What I am saying is that it may be the K3 behavior instead of the amp.
> The K3 power control starts out at a low value and then builds up to the requested power output.  The power output control is reset on a band change and at power on.
> It should only take a couple dit times, it sounds like yours may be responding more slowly.
> Probably not as noticeable at lower power, but certainly noticeable at the output of the amp.

Re: KPA500 delay in getting to full power

Don Wilhelm-4
Randy,

It is *always* slower during hot and heavy operating :-) .

On 10/27/2013 9:17 AM, Randy Moore wrote:

> I don't mean to hijack this thread, but wrt Don's comments, yesterday I noticed that my K3 is behaving oddly after a tune cycle of the K3  internal ATU.  On SSB, in the CQWW contest, it was taking at least a half-dozen transmissions of my call sign to get back to full power.  I have the Power control set to 95 w., but after the the tune cycle output dropped to around 50 w., and VERY slowly returned to full output.  This is normal except that it seemed to take a LOT longer than before.  Does this indicate a problem (other than my frustration)?
>
> 73,
> Randy, KS4L
>
>> On Oct 27, 2013, at 8:01 AM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Mike,
>>
>> Make certain it is the amp and not the K3.
>> Check the actual output from the K3 - disconnect the amp and drive the dummy load through an external wattmeter.  Don't change anything in the K3.
>> Does the power out follow the same pattern?
>> Try a band change (up and then back down) and then test again.
>>
>> What I am saying is that it may be the K3 behavior instead of the amp.
>> The K3 power control starts out at a low value and then builds up to the requested power output.  The power output control is reset on a band change and at power on.
>> It should only take a couple dit times, it sounds like yours may be responding more slowly.
>> Probably not as noticeable at lower power, but certainly noticeable at the output of the amp.
>>
>> 73,
>> Don W3FPR

Re: KPA500 delay in getting to full power

Mike Schultz KS0T
Hi Don and all,

    Thanks for the ideas, but still having the problem.  Don,  I looked at
the K3 output on the analog meter on my old Waters dummy load and saw no
change from first dit onward (30 watts thru amp in standby).  Band changes
don't seem to help although it sees on 40 it gets to higher power a bit
faster - maybe 1 second instead of 2.  Also on 4o the problem seems to go
away if I start keying again within say 5 or 10 seconds. Also, the change
form low to high output from the amp is abrupt after a second or two of
dits.  It is also about a 3 dB difference (attenuator?).  A few hours ago I
also tried taking the KAT500 out of the mix and using new coax.  I HAD K3 to
KPA500 to dummy with different coax jumpers and still had the delay.  Also
had PTT direct rig to amp. I was testing in CW vox/qsk but the problem also
occurred if I asserted PTT via footswitch so that I saw the asterisk on the
amp display before I started keying.
    I have everything wired up normally again and still observe the original
problem I had yesterday when I tried to enter the contest.  That is, I
transmitted fine at 100 watts with the tuner in use (1:1 SWR) for my
vertical on 40.  When I turned on the amp I get a hi SWR and the tuner
starts hunting.  That is what got me started troubleshooting and observed
this delay problem I've been describing.
    Well,  I going to go get some more qsos on low power now.  I'll check my
email again in a bit to see if any more ideas come up.

Thanks, Mike KS0T

Make certain it is the amp and not the K3.
Check the actual output from the K3 - disconnect the amp and drive the
dummy load through an external wattmeter.  Don't change anything in the K3.
Does the power out follow the same pattern?
Try a band change (up and then back down) and then test again.

What I am saying is that it may be the K3 behavior instead of the amp.
The K3 power control starts out at a low value and then builds up to the
requested power output.  The power output control is reset on a band
change and at power on.
It should only take a couple dit times, it sounds like yours may be
responding more slowly.
Probably not as noticeable at lower power, but certainly noticeable at
the output of the amp.

On 10/27/2013 7:58 AM, Mike Schultz KS0T wrote:

>      A problem just showed up with my 4 month old amp. If I send a string
> of dashes at 30 Watts out of my K3, the KPA amp puts out around 120 Watts
> for the first second or two then goes up to the expected output of 480
> Watts.  This is on 20 meters to a Dummy load through my KAT500 tuner in
> bypass.  The ACCY plug was disconnected and PTT was direct from K3 to
> KPA500.  Amp firmware was beta 1.33 but no change when I reverted to
> release V1.23.
> Any ideas while I continue the CQWW SSB contest at a frustrating 100
> Watts?
>
> 73, Mike KS0T

Re: KPA500 delay in getting to full power

David Shoaf
Mike,

Its getting late for the contest now, but please run the Tx Gain Calibration from the K3 Utility.  Run it first at the 5 watt level and be sure that it passes.  Then move on to the 50 watt level.

If these both pass, back up your configuration and then test with the KPA500 again.

Cheers,

David

Re: KPA500 delay in getting to full power

Arthur Nienhouse
/*KPA500 fold back on power output with the first dit or dah then it
builds to what its set for.

Try changing the ALC THR settings in the menu of the AMP I changed  some
per band settings which stopped this from happening.
Default is 210
Some of my bands i use 129
Check page 10 of the manual

My K3 (was / is) over shooting power on the first dit or dah I would see
power as high as 140 watts ...(it originally did this much but software
change has it limited to 120 w now), power over shoot is only for an
instant, this over shoot is causing the amp to shut down because of high
power on the input while in operate mode, even though my full power is
set at 100 watts and the drive power is set to 30w I would see for just
an instant on a watt meter set for pep 140 w.

If you are using full qsk or vox this keeps happening resetting the AGC
THR should help or fix the issue.

Could be a software code line needs to be tweaked in the K3 to stop this
over shoot of power on the first dit or dah
which was happening to my radio even though the power is set to 100 or
95 watts total, the over shoot still goes to full
power the finals are capable of.

Check the archives for the e-mails that talked to this issue, I'm not
sure how far back it was but adjusting per band in my KPA500 Menu did
the trick for my setup.

Regards
Art
ka9zap
*/
On 10/27/2013 10:35 AM, Mike Schultz KS0T wrote:

> [...]
> responding more slowly.
> Probably not as noticeable at lower power, but certainly noticeable at
> the output of the amp.

> On 10/27/2013 7:58 AM, Mike Schultz KS0T wrote:
>>      A problem just showed up with my 4 month old amp. If I send a
>> string of dashes at 30 Watts out of my K3, the KPA amp puts out
>> around 120 Watts for the first second or two then goes up to the
>> expected output of 480 Watts. This is on 20 meters to a Dummy load
>> through my KAT500 tuner in bypass.  The ACCY plug was disconnected
>> and PTT was direct from K3 to KPA500.  Amp firmware was beta 1.33 but
>> no change when I reverted to release V1.23.
>> Any ideas while I continue the CQWW SSB contest at a frustrating 100
>> Watts?
>>
>> 73, Mike KS0T

Re: KPA500 delay in getting to full power

/*I should have started my comments with recalibrate using the Utility tool.

I did run the Utility Calibration several times, thanks for the reminder
and addition to my comments I do not have the problem any more just
reporting on what I found and went through to solve my issue.

The recalibration has been sugested many times for some reason
(recalibration did not solve my issue) the first time I used it.

Regards
Art
ka9zap

*/
On 10/27/2013 1:28 PM, Jack Brindle wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> Make certain it is the amp and not the K3.
>>> Check the actual output from the K3 - disconnect the amp and drive the
>>> dummy load through an external wattmeter.  Don't change anything in the K3.
>>> Does the power out follow the same pattern?
>>> Try a band change (up and then back down) and then test again.
>>>
>>> What I am saying is that it may be the K3 behavior instead of the amp.
>>> The K3 power control starts out at a low value and then builds up to the
>>> requested power output.  The power output control is reset on a band
>>> change and at power on.
>>> It should only take a couple dit times, it sounds like yours may be
>>> responding more slowly.
>>> Probably not as noticeable at lower power, but certainly noticeable at
>>> the output of the amp.
>>>
>>> 73,
>>> Don W3FPR

Re: KPA500 delay in getting to full power

HI Art,

I have never used the ALC - at least it is turned off in K3 config and set
to default in KPA500 setup.  Also it is not connected via the RCA socket on
the AMP.  It usually is connected thru the 15 pin cables, but I removed them
as a trouble shooting step.  I'll run the power callibration on the K3
after the contest.  Thanks for the ideas.

Mike KS0T