Quantcast

KPA500 suddenly will not provide amplified output

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

KPA500 suddenly will not provide amplified output

mike
Although I doubt if it is related, I just updated the K3 FW to 4.86 from 4.83. I used the KPA500 for first time after K3 FW update this evening and when I switch KPA500 from STBY to OPER I get only the K3 25 or so watts out. K3 shows asterisk to right of power on display so it is working okay (knows to switch to lower power to drive amp). Set up is full Kline K3/P3/KAT500/KPA500 all with most current FW. Never happened before. Antenna(s) always hooked up to amp via KAT500 and pretty much resonant even without the exteral tuner. Power loss is for all bands 10-80. Where do I look? Help appreciated. ..mike AI6II
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: KPA500 suddenly will not provide amplified output

mike
I wanted to note the KPA500 is on a 220v AC line.

I did try backing off the K3 to FW 4.83 and also reloaded 1.38 in the KPA500 with no change in results. In running though the KPA500 menu, I noticed that the INHIB IN was set to ENABLE, which according to the manual means ...

"ENABLE allows the amplifier operation to be inhibited (won’t amplify) when a logic low is
applied to pin 11 of the AUX Connector (see pg 26). When amplification is inhibited, an
underscore instead of the asterisk appears on the left end of the LCD display."

But this is not what I experienced (unless I don't understand what is being said.) The asterisk was always there (not an underline) whether or not it was set to ENABLE or DISABLE. In fact, going back and restoring from earlier saved configurations I found the setting had been ENABLED since January of this year. So apparently that doesn't work when using the K3 and Elecraft AUX cable. Interesting....

I do now have it set to DISABLE, but as I said not no avail.  ..mike  AI^II
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: KPA500 suddenly will not provide amplified output - SOLVED

mike
Hurray for LOW TECH! I 'wiggled the wires' and everything is working again. I pushed on the chain of AUX cables connections to make sure they were all seated in their sockets, and low and behold the amp is back to working normally. I still don't understand how the INHIB IN setting works, but apparently I don't need to.

Glad I was able to work this one through.  ..mike  AI6II
Loading...