KPA500 with Icom 7100

Chad Wasinger
Hi Group,

Has anyone successfully used the KPA500 with the Icom 7100? I use the Icom 7100 remotely and would like to throw some power behind it. With the KPA500's remote management software and capabilities, it is obviously first on my list.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips or comments to the configuration. Specifically from a remote shack perspective.

Thanks,
Chad
N0YK

Re: KPA500 with Icom 7100

Jeff kb2m

Hi Chad.

I ran my KPA500/KAT500 pair with my 7100 for awhile without any problems. I was using system local, not remotely. I was in the middle of a move and after a month or so I moved my K3 in to position and hooked it up with the KPA/KAT. I built a cable for the purpose, that is defined in the elecraft manual. I'm at work now, but can research this some more when I get home if it will help. Let me know...

73 Jeff KB2M

----- Original Message -----From: Chad Wasinger <[hidden email]>To: [hidden email]: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 14:38:04 -0000 (UTC)Subject: [Elecraft] KPA500 with Icom 7100

Hi Group, Has anyone successfully used the KPA500 with the Icom 7100? I use the Icom 7100 remotely and would like to throw some power behind it. With the KPA500's remote management software and capabilities, it is obviously first on my list.  Just wondering if anyone has any tips or comments to the configuration. Specifically from a remote shack perspective. Thanks,ChadN0YK

Re: KPA500 with Icom 7100

Chad Wasinger
Hi Jeff - I'd appreciate any advice, especially on the cabling.

This amp has always looked like the obviously choice when it comes to a remote station.

Thanks!

Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 15:48:10 +0000
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
CC: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] KPA500 with Icom 7100

Hi Chad.

I ran my KPA500/KAT500 pair with my 7100 for awhile without any problems. I was using system local, not remotely. I was in the middle of a move and after a month or so I moved my K3 in to position and hooked it up with the KPA/KAT. I built a cable for the purpose, that is defined in the elecraft manual. I'm at work now, but can research this some more when I get home if it will help. Let me know...

73 Jeff KB2M

Re: KPA500 with Icom 7100

Oliver Dröse

Hi Chad,

used an IC-7100 together with my KPA500 remotely for almost a year
(before upgrading my remote station to 100% Elecraft, i.e. using a K3 +
K3/0 nowadays). Worked like a charm. Did not do any special cabling
except PTT and coax, the KPA500 takes care of the band changes
automatically with it's RF sensor. The only "drawback" is you have to
switch on the KPA500 using the KPA Utility software as there is no
"switching signal" as the K3 can provide using a special macro. But I
never had a problem with the KPA software doing the job except you need
an own remoteable serial port for it.

Hope that helps.

73, Olli - DH8BQA

Contest, DX & radio projects: http://www.dh8bqa.de

Am 10.11.2014 15:38, schrieb Chad Wasinger:

> Hi Group,
>
> Has anyone successfully used the KPA500 with the Icom 7100? I use the Icom 7100 remotely and would like to throw some power behind it. With the KPA500's remote management software and capabilities, it is obviously first on my list.
>
> Just wondering if anyone has any tips or comments to the configuration. Specifically from a remote shack perspective.
>
> Thanks,
> Chad
> N0YK

Re: KPA500 with Icom 7100

Michael Walker
I use my kpa500 remotely with my ts480 with only a ptt lead and no issues. You won't have an issue with your 7100.

Mike va3mw

> On Nov 10, 2014, at 5:10 PM, Oliver Dröse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hi Chad,
>
> used an IC-7100 together with my KPA500 remotely for almost a year (before upgrading my remote station to 100% Elecraft, i.e. using a K3 + K3/0 nowadays). Worked like a charm. Did not do any special cabling except PTT and coax, the KPA500 takes care of the band changes automatically with it's RF sensor. The only "drawback" is you have to switch on the KPA500 using the KPA Utility software as there is no "switching signal" as the K3 can provide using a special macro. But I never had a problem with the KPA software doing the job except you need an own remoteable serial port for it.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> 73, Olli - DH8BQA
>
> Contest, DX & radio projects: http://www.dh8bqa.de
>

> Am 10.11.2014 15:38, schrieb Chad Wasinger:
>> Hi Group,
>>  Has anyone successfully used the KPA500 with the Icom 7100? I use the Icom 7100 remotely and would like to throw some power behind it. With the KPA500's remote management software and capabilities, it is obviously first on my list.
>>  Just wondering if anyone has any tips or comments to the configuration. Specifically from a remote shack perspective.
>>  Thanks,
>> Chad
>> N0YK

Re: KPA500 with Icom 7100