KRX3A vs KRX3

Bill W4ZV
For someone who knows (e.g. Wayne, Eric, K6XX, etc):

Are the only differences the following:

1.  KRX3A includes KSYN3A
2.  KRX3A comes with low noise mod.

Are there any *other* differences?  If not, I should be able to add a KSYN3A, do the low noise mod myself and use my KRX3 in the K3S, but I don't want to assume without asking.

73,  Bill  W4ZV

Re: KRX3A vs KRX3

Gary Gregory-2
I wonder what else has changed.

I suspect there are a lot more than being talked about. One thought is
there would now be a "To Do" list for the k3s.

Pretty sure the k3s is another Ekecraft work in progress and there will be
a lot more to come.

Reckon it would be a good idea to wait for the hype to drop off and see
what happens in the short term before selling off gear to fund an impulse
buy.

Just thinkin......

Got a bit to do.....:-)

Gary
Vk1ZZ
K3, KPA500-FT, KAT500-FT
On 16/05/2015 7:23 AM, "Bill W4ZV" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For someone who knows (e.g. Wayne, Eric, K6XX, etc):
>
> Are the only differences the following:
>
> 1.  KRX3A includes KSYN3A
> 2.  KRX3A comes with low noise mod.
>
> Are there any *other* differences?  If not, I should be able to add a
> KSYN3A, do the low noise mod myself and use my KRX3 in the K3S, but I don't
> want to assume without asking.
>
> 73,  Bill  W4ZV

Re: KRX3A vs KRX3

Lynn W. Taylor, WB6UUT
Either that, or it's an EVOLUTIONARY product that builds on all of the
work that's been done on the K3.

The model number and the list of changes suggests that.

If the radio was a brand-new, ground-up design, I'm sure it'd be a K4,
not available immediately as is the K3S.

Somewhere I noticed that the firmware would be compatible between the K3
and the K3S.  That suggests smaller changes, not big changes.

If the changes are small, there is little incentive to dump your K3 and
rush to get a K3S.

73 -- Lynn

On 5/15/2015 3:11 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:

> I wonder what else has changed.
>
> I suspect there are a lot more than being talked about. One thought is
> there would now be a "To Do" list for the k3s.
>
> Pretty sure the k3s is another Ekecraft work in progress and there will be
> a lot more to come.
>
> Reckon it would be a good idea to wait for the hype to drop off and see
> what happens in the short term before selling off gear to fund an impulse
> buy.
>
> Just thinkin......
>
> Got a bit to do.....:-)
>
> Gary
> Vk1ZZ
> K3, KPA500-FT, KAT500-FT

Re: KRX3A vs KRX3

KC6CNN
Good thinking Gary..
On May 15, 2015 5:12 PM, "Gary Gregory" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I wonder what else has changed.
>
> I suspect there are a lot more than being talked about. One thought is
> there would now be a "To Do" list for the k3s.
>
> Pretty sure the k3s is another Ekecraft work in progress and there will be
> a lot more to come.
>
> Reckon it would be a good idea to wait for the hype to drop off and see
> what happens in the short term before selling off gear to fund an impulse
> buy.
>
> Just thinkin......
>
> Got a bit to do.....:-)
>
> Gary
> Vk1ZZ
> K3, KPA500-FT, KAT500-FT
> On 16/05/2015 7:23 AM, "Bill W4ZV" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > For someone who knows (e.g. Wayne, Eric, K6XX, etc):
> >
> > Are the only differences the following:
> >
> > 1.  KRX3A includes KSYN3A
> > 2.  KRX3A comes with low noise mod.
> >
> > Are there any *other* differences?  If not, I should be able to add a
> > KSYN3A, do the low noise mod myself and use my KRX3 in the K3S, but I
> don't
> > want to assume without asking.
> >
> > 73,  Bill  W4ZV
> >

> > --

> > Message delivered to [hidden email]

KC6CNN - Gerald
K3 # 6294
KX3 # 757

Re: KRX3A vs KRX3

Iain MacDonnell - N6ML-2
On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 2:22 PM, Bill W4ZV <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For someone who knows (e.g. Wayne, Eric, K6XX, etc):
>
> Are the only differences the following:
>
> 1.  KRX3A includes KSYN3A
> 2.  KRX3A comes with low noise mod.
>
> Are there any *other* differences?  If not, I should be able to add a
> KSYN3A, do the low noise mod myself and use my KRX3 in the K3S, but I don't
> want to assume without asking.

I was wondering about that too. What "low noise mod" are you referring to?

73,

     ~iain / N6ML

Re: KRX3A vs KRX3

Bill W4ZV
On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 8:58 PM, iain macdonnell - N6ML <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 2:22 PM, Bill W4ZV <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > For someone who knows (e.g. Wayne, Eric, K6XX, etc):
> >
> > Are the only differences the following:
> >
> > 1.  KRX3A includes KSYN3A
> > 2.  KRX3A comes with low noise mod.
> >
> > Are there any *other* differences?  If not, I should be able to add a
> > KSYN3A, do the low noise mod myself and use my KRX3 in the K3S, but I
> don't
> > want to assume without asking.
>
> I was wondering about that too. What "low noise mod" are you referring to?

This one:

"Here's a summary of the changes required:

  RF board:              Add one leaded capacitor
  KRX3 (if applicable):  Add one leaded capacitor
  KBPF3:                 Remove two inductors; parallel three new
capacitors"

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/Dramatic-improvement-in-K3-RX-sensitivity-below-500-kHz-looking-for-testers-td7602021.html

73,  Bill  W4ZV

Re: KRX3A vs KRX3

Jim Brown-10
Bill,

This is aimed at noise at VLF. Another peeling of the synthesizer onion
-- it allowed us to listen down to 100 kHz or so, but a simple mod was
needed to minimize noise at those low frequencies.

73, Jim K9YC