KX Paddles

Sidney Frissell
Hi guys
I’m planning on buying a KX3 in the near future.  Some time ago someone on the  reflector said they thought the new KXPD2 paddles were better than the KXpd3 (less noisy I think he said.)  Any pf you who have KX3’s and now also KX2 can now make that comparison.  So what’s the verdict?   Should I get the KXPD2 paddles with my KX3?  I’d like to hear some opiinions pro or con. I am mostly a cw op.

 Thanks

Sid Frissell, NZ7M

Re: KX Paddles

Elecraft mailing list
The Begali Adventure paddle is the way to go!
I modified my key with a 4-pin plug purchased from Digikey that mounts and
plugs in to the KX3 just like the KXPD3 does so there is no dangling cable
that  has to plug into the KEY jack on the left side of the radio.

Mike  AC6JA

In a message dated 8/1/2016 6:17:25 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
[hidden email] writes:

Hi  guys
I’m planning on buying a KX3 in the near future.  Some time ago  someone on
the  reflector said they thought the new KXPD2 paddles were  better than
the KXpd3 (less noisy I think he said.)  Any pf you who have  KX3’s and now
also KX2 can now make that comparison.  So what’s the  verdict?   Should I get
the KXPD2 paddles with my KX3?  I’d  like to hear some opiinions pro or
con. I am mostly a cw  op.

Thanks

Sid Frissell,  NZ7M

Post:  mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by:  http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list:  http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to  [hidden email]

Re: KX Paddles

Bill Gerth
Sid,

I have an early KX3 (S/N 112) and really like the KXPD3, except that it had contact issues in the high humidity environment that I encountered in summertime Missouri and Arkansas SOTA activations.  I then went with the Palm Radio Mini-Paddle with a special bracket that mounts to the KX3 in the same position as the KXPD3.  The Mini-Paddle has gold contacts and tolerates the high humidity with no issues.  Another advantage of the Mini-Paddle bracket is that the angle of the paddles with respect to the KX3 is infinitely adjustable with a friction-fit shaft.  Very nice.

I have used a friend's Begali Adventure with his KX3 and it is also very nice but quite a bit more expensive and doesn't mechanically mount to the KX3.  Another friend who has a new KX2 just got delivery of his KXPD2 and loves it.  I'm looking forward to trying it.  Another excellent option is Larry Naumann's NØSA new mini-paddle.  Larry retired from full-time paddle making a year or so ago but still does limited runs from time to time.  Larry is a true craftsman and his paddles are a good value.

So you have many options.  Since paddles are very much an item of personal taste, it would be good if you could try before you buy.  Based upon everything I know from personal experience and have heard, I think I'd lean toward the KXPD2, but a test drive would be the best route if you can find someone nearby with paddles that you're considering.

Hope this helps.

73,
BILL
W4RK

On Aug 1, 2016, at 8:12 PM, Sidney Frissell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys
> I’m planning on buying a KX3 in the near future.  Some time ago someone on the  reflector said they thought the new KXPD2 paddles were better than the KXpd3 (less noisy I think he said.)  Any pf you who have KX3’s and now also KX2 can now make that comparison.  So what’s the verdict?   Should I get the KXPD2 paddles with my KX3?  I’d like to hear some opiinions pro or con. I am mostly a cw op.
>
> Thanks
>
> Sid Frissell, NZ7M

Re: KX Paddles

Bill Gerth
Sid,

My friend with the Begali Adventure just reminded me that it, in fact, is a hybrid in that it CAN be mounted mechanically to the KX3 (in the same position as the KXPD3) or not.  In either case, the cable plugs into the key jack on the left side of the KX3.  TNX to K9ZTV for keeping me well-informed.

73,
BILL
W4RK

On Aug 1, 2016, at 9:01 PM, Bill Gerth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sid,
>
> I have an early KX3 (S/N 112) and really like the KXPD3, except that it had contact issues in the high humidity environment that I encountered in summertime Missouri and Arkansas SOTA activations.  I then went with the Palm Radio Mini-Paddle with a special bracket that mounts to the KX3 in the same position as the KXPD3.  The Mini-Paddle has gold contacts and tolerates the high humidity with no issues.  Another advantage of the Mini-Paddle bracket is that the angle of the paddles with respect to the KX3 is infinitely adjustable with a friction-fit shaft.  Very nice.
>
> I have used a friend's Begali Adventure with his KX3 and it is also very nice but quite a bit more expensive and doesn't mechanically mount to the KX3.  Another friend who has a new KX2 just got delivery of his KXPD2 and loves it.  I'm looking forward to trying it.  Another excellent option is Larry Naumann's NØSA new mini-paddle.  Larry retired from full-time paddle making a year or so ago but still does limited runs from time to time.  Larry is a true craftsman and his paddles are a good value.
>
> So you have many options.  Since paddles are very much an item of personal taste, it would be good if you could try before you buy.  Based upon everything I know from personal experience and have heard, I think I'd lean toward the KXPD2, but a test drive would be the best route if you can find someone nearby with paddles that you're considering.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> 73,
> BILL
> W4RK

Re: KX Paddles

Dave KW4M
Mike,

I also have the Adventure paddle.

Could you possibly provide more information on the modification?  This is the way Begali should have designed it...

Thank you in advance.

-Dave
KW4M
email [hidden email]

<quote author='Elecraft mailing list'>

[hidden email] writes:

Hi  guys
I’m planning on buying a KX3 in the near future.  Some time ago  someone on
the  reflector said they thought the new KXPD2 paddles were  better than
the KXpd3 (less noisy I think he said.)  Any pf you who have  KX3’s and now
also KX2 can now make that comparison.  So what’s the  verdict?   Should I
get
the KXPD2 paddles with my KX3?  I’d  like to hear some opiinions pro or
con. I am mostly a cw  op.

Thanks

Sid Frissell,  NZ7M

Post:  mailto:[hidden email]