KX1 power supply

N7EDK
I've been running my KX1 from home with the nomal 13.8 v and get right at 3 watts out. When I put 14.9 v (max output from the pwr supply), I'll get 4.1 watts out of the KX1.

A 1 watt increase, not a lot of difference I know, but every little bit helps. Here's the question, does it, or will it hurt the KX1 in the long run, running 14.9 volts into the radio, I know the manual says 14 v. Does that .9 v make any difference to the PA, or should I just stick to my 13.8 v and 3 watts ??

I love the little radio, even thou I have the KX3,  and don't want to hurt it ! It's just so simple and easy to operate, and FUN !! (I'll never get rid of it !!)

Thanks......

72/73 de Ed N7EDK

Re: KX1 power supply

Don Wilhelm-4
Ed,

I would be reluctant to run it about the maximum recommended voltage.
It is just a guess, but I think it may be OK if you always have a low
SWR, but as the SWR increases, the voltages in the PA output circuit can
increase dramatically and the capacitors in there do not have a lot of
margin for the peak RF voltages developed.

On 12/11/2012 3:12 PM, edward kacura wrote:

> I've been running my KX1 from home with the nomal 13.8 v and get right at 3 watts out. When I put 14.9 v (max output from the pwr supply), I'll get 4.1 watts out of the KX1.
>
> A 1 watt increase, not a lot of difference I know, but every little bit helps. Here's the question, does it, or will it hurt the KX1 in the long run, running 14.9 volts into the radio, I know the manual says 14 v. Does that .9 v make any difference to the PA, or should I just stick to my 13.8 v and 3 watts ??
>
> I love the little radio, even thou I have the KX3,  and don't want to hurt it ! It's just so simple and easy to operate, and FUN !! (I'll never get rid of it !!)
>
> Thanks......
>
> 72/73 de Ed N7EDK

Re: KX1 power supply

mzilmer
About 1/4 S-unit.  For the risk of violating whatever component ratings, I'd leave it at 13.8V.

Matt Zilmer
Consultant - Product Management Dept.
Magellan Navigation / MiTAC Digital Corp.
Tel: (909) 394-6052
Cell: (909) 730-6552
In status quo voluntas non sufficit