KX3-2M module?

W7GJ, Lance
Has anybody heard anything regarding the timing of the KX3-2M module for the KX3?  Is
it still planned for high enough stability for JT65B mode and a maximum power of 10w?
TNX and VY 73, Lance*
*

--
Lance Collister, W7GJ
(ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ, E6M, TX5K)

Interested in 6m EME?  Ask me about subscribing to the Magic Band EME
page (above)!

Re: KX3-2M module?

ejkkjh
Lance,
Its been a long wait....
Last thing I remembered posted here was, it is still in development/testing
and possibly 3 or 4 watts, less than most HTs.
Emory  WM3M

Re: KX3-2M module?

W7GJ, Lance
Hi Ray et al,

Many thanks for the status update!  I agree it is certainly a good thing to wait and
fine tune the hardware before officially releasing the product, and Elecraft does a
great job of that.   I will look forward to hearing more next month ;-)

I don't operate 2m FM myself, but it would be nice to have a backup 2m exciter.  I
think if it could do 5w in JT65B mode, it should be able to drive my solid state amp
up enough to bring my 8877 up to 1500w output on EME.  ;-)  Provided it is very
stable....

VY 73, Lance

On 4/7/2014 2:10 PM, Ray Sills wrote:

> HI Lance:
>
> Yours is a frequent inquiry, but you should know that there was a redesign of the
> the module's board to address an issue that showed up in field testing.  At the
> moment, the replacement version is in field testing, so the expectation is that all
> is now OK, and that there should be an announcement very soon.  If I were a betting
> man, I'd wager that Elecraft would want to be taking orders at Dayton.
>
> Granted, it does seem like it's taking forever to get this item to delivery status,
> but Elecraft has been rigorous about making sure that their shipping products are
> as good as they can be.  This item is all hardware, so it really needs to be "just
> right" when it ships.  With the KX3 itself, there are fixes and additions that can
> be part of a firmware revision, but that's not true here.
>
> I'm still on the fence about the 2M module.  I'm sure it will be good, but at this
> point, I have not been doing any 2M operating, except for using my HT with a local
> club net.  And, I don't need the module for that.  I also have an FT-817 which
> works nicely on 2M SSB.. so there is very little pressure for me to consider the
> module.  But then... who knows?  :)
>
> 73 de Ray
> K2ULR
> KX3 #211
>
> On Apr 7, 2014, at 9:57 AM, Lance Collister, W7GJ wrote:
>
>> Has anybody heard anything regarding the timing of the KX3-2M module for the KX3?
>> Is it still planned for high enough stability for JT65B mode and a maximum power
>> of 10w? TNX and VY 73, Lance*
>> *
>>
>> --
>> Lance Collister, W7GJ
>> (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ, E6M, TX5K)
>> P.O. Box 73
>> Frenchtown, MT   59834-0073
>> USA
>> TEL: (406) 626-5728
>> QTH: DN27ub
>> Windows Messenger: [hidden email]
>> Skype: lanceW7GJ
>> 2m DXCC #11/6m DXCC #815
>>
>> Interested in 6m EME?  Ask me about subscribing to the Magic Band EME
>> email group, or just fill in the request box at the bottom of my web
>> page (above)!

Lance Collister, W7GJ
(ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ, E6M, TX5K)
P.O. Box 73
Frenchtown, MT   59834-0073
USA
TEL: (406) 626-5728
QTH: DN27ub
Windows Messenger: [hidden email]
Skype: lanceW7GJ
2m DXCC #11/6m DXCC #815

Interested in 6m EME?  Ask me about subscribing to the Magic Band EME
page (above)!

Re: KX3-2M module?

Nr4c
Don't know about stability but I think I read power more like 2 - 3 watts, at least no more than 5.

Sent from my iPhone
...nr4c. bill

> On Apr 7, 2014, at 9:57 AM, "Lance Collister, W7GJ" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Has anybody heard anything regarding the timing of the KX3-2M module for the KX3?  Is it still planned for high enough stability for JT65B mode and a maximum power of 10w? TNX and VY 73, Lance*
> *
>
> --
> Lance Collister, W7GJ
> (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ, E6M, TX5K)
> P.O. Box 73
> Frenchtown, MT   59834-0073
> USA
> TEL: (406) 626-5728
> QTH: DN27ub
> Windows Messenger: [hidden email]
> Skype: lanceW7GJ
> 2m DXCC #11/6m DXCC #815
>
> Interested in 6m EME?  Ask me about subscribing to the Magic Band EME
> email group, or just fill in the request box at the bottom of my web
> page (above)!

Re: KX3-2M module?

Dave-5
Facebook comes in useful, sometimes...

Just found this on the KX3 friends page.

http://www.worldwidedx.com/hf-bands-hf-rigs/154636-elecraft-kx3-2-meter-option-preview-pic.html

Re: KX3-2M module?

Dave-5
Sorry, I just realised that was from May last year!

They don't get many posts on their wall on that Facebook page!!

DAve (G0DJA)

> Just found this on the KX3 friends page.
>
> http://www.worldwidedx.com/hf-bands-hf-rigs/154636-elecraft-kx3-2-meter-option-preview-pic.html

Re: KX3-2M module?

Raymond Sills
Hi Dave:

It was nice to view that photo, but it appears to be almost a year
old, which suggests to me that it is one of the prototype units, which
has been superseded by a board revision, following the original field
testing.  Nevertheless, I'm sure that the current version in testing
is quite similar.  After all, the physical constraints for making the
module fit inside the case have not changed.

73 de Ray
K2ULR
KX3 #211

On Apr 7, 2014, at 11:14 AM, Dave wrote:

> Facebook comes in useful, sometimes...
>
> Just found this on the KX3 friends page.
>
> http://www.worldwidedx.com/hf-bands-hf-rigs/154636-elecraft-kx3-2-meter-option-preview-pic.html

Re: KX3-2M module?

John Lemay
The answers to some of these questions are on the Elecraft web pages in the
KX3-2m FAQ. Always best to go to the source to avoid conjecture !

John G4ZTR

Re: KX3-2M module?

"Lance Collister, W7GJ" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Has anybody heard anything regarding the timing of the KX3-2M module for the KX3?  Is it still planned for high enough stability for JT65B mode and a maximum power of 10w?

Hi Lance,

I'm not sure where you got that figure. Our postings on this topic are summarized in an FAQ (http://www.elecraft.com/manual/KX3-2M%20FAQ.htm).

- Max power is 3 W.

- The module is unlikely to support very narrowband modes, because short-term local oscillator excursions at the I.F. (48 MHz) are, in effect, multiplied by about 3. FM and AM modes can be used with normal factory temperature compensation on 2 m. To use CW/SSB, the extended VFO temperature compensation procedure will be required. This level of compensation would also allow the use of narrow-shift RTTY. But JT65 and similar modes on 2 meters would probably require tighter frequency stability.

Re: KX3-2M module?

Phil Wheeler-2
Read here
http://www.elecraft.com/manual/KX3-2M%20FAQ.htm

There was probably more info imparted at the
Visalia DX Convention last weekend but I was not
there.

73. Phil W7OX

On 4/7/14, 7:25 AM, Lance Collister, W7GJ wrote:

> Hi Ray et al,
>
> Many thanks for the status update!  I agree it
> is certainly a good thing to wait and fine tune
> the hardware before officially releasing the
> product, and Elecraft does a great job of
> that.   I will look forward to hearing more next
> month ;-)
>
> I don't operate 2m FM myself, but it would be
> nice to have a backup 2m exciter.  I think if it
> could do 5w in JT65B mode, it should be able to
> drive my solid state amp up enough to bring my
> 8877 up to 1500w output on EME.  ;-)  Provided
> it is very stable....
>
> VY 73, Lance
>
> On 4/7/2014 2:10 PM, Ray Sills wrote:
>> HI Lance:
>>
>> Yours is a frequent inquiry, but you should
>> know that there was a redesign of the the
>> module's board to address an issue that showed
>> up in field testing.  At the moment, the
>> replacement version is in field testing, so the
>> expectation is that all is now OK, and that
>> there should be an announcement very soon.  If
>> I were a betting man, I'd wager that Elecraft
>> would want to be taking orders at Dayton.
>>
>> Granted, it does seem like it's taking forever
>> to get this item to delivery status, but
>> Elecraft has been rigorous about making sure
>> that their shipping products are as good as
>> they can be. This item is all hardware, so it
>> really needs to be "just right" when it ships.
>> With the KX3 itself, there are fixes and
>> additions that can be part of a firmware
>> revision, but that's not true here.
>>
>> I'm still on the fence about the 2M module.
>> I'm sure it will be good, but at this point, I
>> have not been doing any 2M operating, except
>> for using my HT with a local club net.  And, I
>> don't need the module for that.  I also have an
>> FT-817 which works nicely on 2M SSB.. so there
>> is very little pressure for me to consider the
>> module.  But then... who knows?  :)
>>
>> 73 de Ray
>> K2ULR
>> KX3 #211
>>
>> On Apr 7, 2014, at 9:57 AM, Lance Collister,
>> W7GJ wrote:
>>
>>> Has anybody heard anything regarding the
>>> timing of the KX3-2M module for the KX3?  Is
>>> it still planned for high enough stability for
>>> JT65B mode and a maximum power of 10w? TNX and
>>> VY 73, Lance*
>>> *
>>>
>>> --
>>> Lance Collister, W7GJ
>>> (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8,
>>> E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ, E6M, TX5K)
>>> P.O. Box 73
>>> Frenchtown, MT   59834-0073
>>> USA
>>> TEL: (406) 626-5728
>>> QTH: DN27ub
>>> Windows Messenger: [hidden email]
>>> Skype: lanceW7GJ
>>> 2m DXCC #11/6m DXCC #815
>>>
>>> Interested in 6m EME?  Ask me about
>>> subscribing to the Magic Band EME
>>> email group, or just fill in the request box
>>> at the bottom of my web
>>> page (above)!

Re: KX3-2M module?

Charlie T, K3ICH
3 - 4 watts is fine with me on 2M.  I know it'll drive the big TE Systems
amp to 400 watts out because I could do that with my (long gone) FT-817.

73, Charlie k3ICH

> [...]
>>> 2m DXCC #11/6m DXCC #815
>>>
>>> Interested in 6m EME?  Ask me about subscribing to the Magic Band EME
>>> email group, or just fill in the request box at the bottom of my web
>>> page (above)!

>>> Message delivered to [hidden email]
>>

> --
> Lance Collister, W7GJ
> (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ, E6M,
> TX5K)
> P.O. Box 73
> Frenchtown, MT   59834-0073
> USA
> TEL: (406) 626-5728
> QTH: DN27ub
> Windows Messenger: [hidden email]
> Skype: lanceW7GJ
> 2m DXCC #11/6m DXCC #815
>
> Interested in 6m EME?  Ask me about subscribing to the Magic Band EME
> email group, or just fill in the request box at the bottom of my web

Re: KX3-2M module?

Dave-5
I'm hoping to use it with a 24GHz transverter, so I guess I'll be embarking
on the extended VFO temperature compensation procedure at sometime after
deciding on whether to purhase the KX3-2M unit.

However, the more I hear and read about the KX3-2M, the more I'm thinking
that it's not going to be good enough.  I enjoy using CW on 2M and most of
the contacts on 24GHz will probably be CW as well, but my transverter is not
GPS locked, so the combination may not work too well.

Dave (G0DJA)

Sent: Monday, April 07, 2014 4:37 PM

> - The module is unlikely to support very narrowband modes, because
> short-term local oscillator excursions at the I.F. (48 MHz) are, in
> effect, multiplied by about 3. FM and AM modes can be used with normal
> factory temperature compensation on 2 m. To use CW/SSB, the extended VFO
> temperature compensation procedure will be required. This level of
> compensation would also allow the use of narrow-shift RTTY. But JT65 and
> similar modes on 2 meters would probably require tighter frequency
> stability.

Re: KX3-2M module?

Edward R Cole
Lance,

Wayne recently commented that they had some re-design after the first
field test round, and were soon to go out with the second field
test.  I wrote Wayne directly for more info, but have not heard back,
as yet...I signed-up to be a field tester so am hoping that I may
have one to test when that happens.

I will be testing it and the KX3 especially looking at use for eme
and 2m weak-signal operation.  I am lucky to have a couple RFC 2-23
linear amps (2w input/30w out) which will match up with low power
level of the 2M module.  That will drive another RFC linear
(30w/170w) easily to 55w to drive my 8877.  I presently use the
latter amp so my DEMI transverter can loaf a bit when running JT65 with the K3.

I have the test equipment to measure power and frequency to determine
performance.  As in the past I will create a webpage to document what
I find. I have not built a computer I/F for the KX3 so I will just
simulate JT65 transmit by keydown CW.  I ran a freq. drift test on my
current line-up by running JT65 for 30-minutes and noting frequency
drift.  Its documented:
http://www.kl7uw.com/techtopics.htm

73, Ed - KL7UW
--------------------
From: "Lance Collister, W7GJ" <[hidden email]>
To: Ray Sills <[hidden email]>

Hi Ray et al,

Many thanks for the status update!  I agree it is certainly a good
thing to wait and
fine tune the hardware before officially releasing the product, and
Elecraft does a
great job of that.   I will look forward to hearing more next month ;-)

I don't operate 2m FM myself, but it would be nice to have a backup
2m exciter.  I
think if it could do 5w in JT65B mode, it should be able to drive my
solid state amp
up enough to bring my 8877 up to 1500w output on EME.  ;-)  Provided
it is very
stable....

VY 73, Lance

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
     "Kits made by KL7UW"
Dubus Mag business:

Re: KX3-2M module?

David Anderson-2
Dave,

My interest in the KX3-2M has almost entirely gone after this news about the frequency stability, and there is no way to lock it to another high stability standard. I have already completed the extended VFO temperature compensation procedure. I suspect that I will either rebuild my own 28 to 144 MHz transverter which was stable enough or purchase a more modern high performance transverter such as the HA1YA unit for driving my SSPA for 144 MHz EME and terrestrial DX, which only needs a few watts of drive.

I am interested in the PX3 however :-)

73

David Anderson GM4JJJ

> On 7 Apr 2014, at 19:07, "Dave" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm hoping to use it with a 24GHz transverter, so I guess I'll be embarking on the extended VFO temperature compensation procedure at sometime after deciding on whether to purhase the KX3-2M unit.
>
> However, the more I hear and read about the KX3-2M, the more I'm thinking that it's not going to be good enough.  I enjoy using CW on 2M and most of the contacts on 24GHz will probably be CW as well, but my transverter is not GPS locked, so the combination may not work too well.
>
> Dave (G0DJA)

> Sent: Monday, April 07, 2014 4:37 PM
> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] KX3-2M module?
>

>> - The module is unlikely to support very narrowband modes, because short-term local oscillator excursions at the I.F. (48 MHz) are, in effect, multiplied by about 3. FM and AM modes can be used with normal factory temperature compensation on 2 m. To use CW/SSB, the extended VFO temperature compensation procedure will be required. This level of compensation would also allow the use of narrow-shift RTTY. But JT65 and similar modes on 2 meters would probably require tighter frequency stability.

Re: KX3-2M module?

Stewart Bryant
On 07/04/2014 17:37, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> "Lance Collister, W7GJ" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Has anybody heard anything regarding the timing of the KX3-2M module for the KX3?  Is it still planned for high enough stability for JT65B mode and a maximum power of 10w?
>
> Hi Lance,
>
> I'm not sure where you got that figure. Our postings on this topic are summarized in an FAQ (http://www.elecraft.com/manual/KX3-2M%20FAQ.htm).
>
> - Max power is 3 W.
>
> - The module is unlikely to support very narrowband modes, because short-term local oscillator excursions at the I.F. (48 MHz) are, in effect, multiplied by about 3. FM and AM modes can be used with normal factory temperature compensation on 2 m. To use CW/SSB, the extended VFO temperature compensation procedure will be required. This level of compensation would also allow the use of narrow-shift RTTY. But JT65 and similar modes on 2 meters would probably require tighter frequency stability.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR

I am somewhat curious about the pessimism here.

Surely the important characteristic is the short-term stability over
the one to three minute time frame, and most of that is going to
come from thermal. So if the base oscillator is +/- 1ppm over
0-50 (from the manual and about the TCXO midpoint) this is
150Hz at 2m. A 10Hz drift which is the FAQ number would
require a temperature change of the oscillator module
of about three degrees, or about a degree per minute. That
seem quite a lot to me, particularly if you are applying
s/w correction to help the TCXO.

Stewart/G3YSX

Re: KX3-2M module?

Gil G.
Hello,

Why would a little instability be a problem on CW or SSB?
I mean, you could be off 200Hz in CW and that wouldn't be too much of a
problem. I used to own a K1 and it was all over the place until it
warmed up, never prevented me from making contact and rag-chewing..
Same for SSB.. You just need to turn the knob a little until the
temperature stabilizes. It's a DDS VFO, still much better than a regular
one. For some digital modes, I understand, but otherwise, who cares...?

Gil.

Re: KX3-2M module?

When the extended temperature compensation is performed, short-term stability on 2 meters is about +/- 10 Hz, more than adequate for FM/AM/CW/SSB and some data modes.

On Apr 8, 2014, at 11:23 AM, Gil G. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Why would a little instability be a problem on CW or SSB?
> I mean, you could be off 200Hz in CW and that wouldn't be too much of a
> problem. I used to own a K1 and it was all over the place until it
> warmed up, never prevented me from making contact and rag-chewing..
> Same for SSB.. You just need to turn the knob a little until the
> temperature stabilizes. It's a DDS VFO, still much better than a regular
> one. For some digital modes, I understand, but otherwise, who cares...?
>
> Gil.

Re: KX3-2M module?

Oliver Dröse

Can you please define "short-term", Wayne? Is it 10 seconds, 30 seconds,
1 minute, 2 minutes of transmitting?

Thanks,
Olli

Contest, DX & radio projects: http://www.dh8bqa.de

Am 08.04.2014 21:58, schrieb Wayne Burdick:

> When the extended temperature compensation is performed, short-term stability on 2 meters is about +/- 10 Hz, more than adequate for FM/AM/CW/SSB and some data modes.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR
>
> On Apr 8, 2014, at 11:23 AM, Gil G. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Why would a little instability be a problem on CW or SSB?
>> I mean, you could be off 200Hz in CW and that wouldn't be too much of a
>> problem. I used to own a K1 and it was all over the place until it
>> warmed up, never prevented me from making contact and rag-chewing..
>> Same for SSB.. You just need to turn the knob a little until the
>> temperature stabilizes. It's a DDS VFO, still much better than a regular
>> one. For some digital modes, I understand, but otherwise, who cares...?
>>
>> Gil.

Re: KX3-2M module?

Dave-5
Yes, and No, to be unhelpfully exact...

My TS2000X is "off" by about 1.7kHz compared to other peoples 'dial'
settings on 1296MHz.  I know this and I compensate, but the higher up the
chain you go, the worse the problem gets...

Since I have another radio to "do" 2M on (TS2000X) I'm only looking to use
the KX3-2M for two things.  1. The occasional use in the field, or from a
hotel room (though not so much that to be honest) where I agree, I can
probably compensate manually, as long as it doesn't drift too far, too fast
but the other reason may be a game killer, as far as I'm concerned.

and 2. As the IF for a 24GHz narrowband transverter.  Now here things do get
critical. a few Hz on 2M equates to a heck of a lot of kHz on 24GHz after
transverting and taking the stability, or lack of it, of the 24GHz gear as
well.

So, no, some of us do care and unless the KX3-2M can at least match
something like the 2M stability of the FT817 (which isn't all that great
anyway) then this wont be something that many serious users of 2M gear will
accept as being "OK".

Back in the 1980s there were radios on 2M which were well known for their
drift and lack of a good output on 2M, even on SSB, and I'd hate to put out
a poor signal on 2M CW from an Elecraft bit of kit.  That really could
damage the company name with potential future customers and provide
amunition to their competitors, in my opinion.

Dave (G0DJA)

> Why would a little instability be a problem on CW or SSB?
> I mean, you could be off 200Hz in CW and that wouldn't be too much of a
> problem. I used to own a K1 and it was all over the place until it
> warmed up, never prevented me from making contact and rag-chewing..
> Same for SSB.. You just need to turn the knob a little until the
> temperature stabilizes. It's a DDS VFO, still much better than a regular
> one. For some digital modes, I understand, but otherwise, who cares...?
>
> Gil.

Re: KX3-2M module?

Hi Oliver,

Frequency corrections due to temperature compensation can occur as often as once per second, though they happen less often during steady-state receive or transmit. We're limited by synthesizer step size to corrections of about +/- 3 Hz at 2 m.