KX3 beta firmware rev 1.06 (with DSP rev 0.92) is now available. This
is major update from the current production release (0.99). The
release notes for 1.06, below, show all changes since rev 0.99,
organized into new features and bug fixes. Dozens of volunteers have
been pounding on intermediate field-test releases for several weeks --
You'll need the KX3 Utility application to download and install
firmware. For full instructions, refer to our KX3 software page:
We recommend that all KX3 owners install the new firmware. We hope to
promote it to a full-production release on Monday.
* * *
MCU 1.06/DSP 0.52, 6-28-2012
NEW FEATURES (since rev. 0.99):
* AGC IMPROVED: AGC attack/decay now uses precision log/antilog
functions (same as in the latest K3 firmware release).
* NOISE PULSE REJECTION: The KX3 can now detect high-amplitude noise
pulses (as from appliances or florescent lamps) and remove them before
they pin the S-meter. To enable this feature, locate the AGC*THR menu
entry, tap ‘6’ (DLY ), and set AGC PLS to NOR.
* AUTOSPOT TUNES RIT: If RIT is on, AUTO-SPOT fine-tunes only the RIT
offset, leaving VFO A’s frequency untouched. (Auto-spot applies to CW
and PSK-D modes; it is enabled by turning on CWT. Tap SPOT to auto-
* VFO TUNING NOISE REDUCTION (VFO NR and RX SHFT): Both the VFO NR and
RX SHFT menu entries can be set per-band. Using them together
virtually eliminates VFO tuning noise. This is typically needed only
on 6 meters. Note: With RX SHFT set to 8.0, dual watch is not
available on that band. This restriction will be removed in a future
* TX COMPRESSION DISABLED in DATA-A and AFSK-A modes.
* RX EQ AND TX EQ DISABLED in DATA-A and AFSK-A modes.
* CW TEXT DECODE IMPROVED: CW text decode now includes a user-settable
threshold, improving copy and better rejecting noise. To turn on CW
decode: Hold TEXT, then rotate VFO B to select a receive signal
threshold (RX THR1-9). For weak signals, use low thresholds (RX
THR1-3). With strong signals, medium thresholds (RX THR4-6) provide
better copy. At very high code speeds, the highest thresholds work
best (RX THR7-9). Next, turn on CWT (CW tuning aid). Tune VFO A until
the middle CWT segment flashes in time with the incoming CW. If
necessary, further adjust the RX THR level to provide best copy. Tips:
A narrow bandwidth setting (0.1 to 0.2 kHz) should be used if the band
is noisy. Signals with a good signal/noise ratio and well-spaced CW
elements will have the lowest error rate. When the KX3 detects a non-
Morse character code, it displays an asterisk (*).
* MORSE CODE AUDIO USER INTERFACE CHANGES: MENU:SW TONE can be set to
CODE nn (where nn is the desired code speed) to provide CW feedback on
all controls. This is intended primarily for use by blind operators.
Enhancements: Tap DISP to hear the operating mode followed by the kHz
digits of the VFO A frequency (e.g., if you’re on 14040.0 CW, you’ll
hear “C 040”). Changing bands or recalling a frequency memory sends
the MHz digits as well (e.g. “C 14040”). Most of the rotary controls
now report their settings (DLY, CMP, KEYER, MIC, PWR, and MON). Many
additional improvements are planned, as well as a guide to touch-only
use of the KX3.
BUG FIXES (since rev 0.99):
* POWER-OFF/ON SWITCHING: We’ve seen a few cases where the KX3 could
not be turned on after being turned off. This should no longer occur.
* AUTO-SPOT now works correctly even if coarse VFO tuning was in effect.
* UNEXPECTED PREAMP TURN-OFF when some controls were used: fixed.
* INTERMITTENT TX ALC BAR GRAPH LEVEL: fixed.
* LOSS OF RX AUDIO IN SSB MODE @ BANDWIDTH ~2.40 kHz: fixed.
* TX EQ now works correctly. In some cases it was having no effect.
* DUAL WATCH BUG: The dual-watch feature was staying partially engaged
at all times with DUAL RX set to AUTO, even when VFOs were tuned out
of dual watch range. This resulted in some “ghost” signals at certain
* MANUAL NOTCH is no longer turned off when you “normalize” the
* FREQUENCY MEMORY FIXES: A channel-scan group can now include memory
#00. Also, recalling an unprogrammed memory no longer locks VFO A.
Elecraft mailing list
Post: mailto:[hidden email]
This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
|Free forum by Nabble||Edit this page|