KX3/K3 and KPA500

Phil Hystad-3
I am thinking of setting up a configuration to easily switch my KX3 and K3 with my KPA500.  That is, I want to use both K3 and KX3 to drive KPA500 without too much cable swapping or re-configuration work.

Has anyone done this and if so how did you do it?

Right now, my K-line is K3/P3 -->  KPA500  -->  KAT500

Given configuration and cabling issues I am not sure if I can use the KAT500 easily with the KX3 driving the KPA500.  Has anyone done this, are their issues to resolve?

Thanks for any help

73, phil, K7PEH

Re: KX3/K3 and KPA500

Phil Wheeler-2
Why?

Phil W7OX

On 4/4/14, 10:52 AM, Phil Hystad wrote:
> I am thinking of setting up a configuration to easily switch my KX3 and K3 with my KPA500.  That is, I want to use both K3 and KX3 to drive KPA500 without too much cable swapping or re-configuration work.
> 73, phil, K7PEH

Re: KX3/K3 and KPA500

Phil Hystad-3
KX3 has dual-watch and the K3 doesn't.  I would like to use my KX3 for DX that often operates split and so far working without also listening on the split TX frequency is giving me a clear disadvantage.   This is all CW, not SSB.

Since I only have the KX3/10 right now, I am thinking that I could use it with my KPA500 when I am operating at home.  I have not yet acquired the KXPA100.

If there is a better alternative (yes, buying the Sub-RX is better but that is future too) then let me know.  I don't particular like the REV feature for switching TX/RX but it is a cheap alternative but just not as nice as dual-watch (or, SubRX).

phil

On Apr 4, 2014, at 10:59 AM, Phil Wheeler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Why?
>
> Phil W7OX
>
> On 4/4/14, 10:52 AM, Phil Hystad wrote:
>> I am thinking of setting up a configuration to easily switch my KX3 and K3 with my KPA500.  That is, I want to use both K3 and KX3 to drive KPA500 without too much cable swapping or re-configuration work.
>> 73, phil, K7PEH

Re: KX3/K3 and KPA500

Jim Bennett
Phil,

I have that exact setup: K3/KX3-->KPA500-->KAT500-->Multiple antennas. Works very well. I went by the guide & picture in the Kady book for the KX3. I use a two position coax switch between the K3 and the KX3. Do you have Fred Kady's KX3 book?

Jim / W6JHB

On Apr 4, 2014, at 10:52 AM, Phil Hystad wrote:

> I am thinking of setting up a configuration to easily switch my KX3 and K3 with my KPA500.  That is, I want to use both K3 and KX3 to drive KPA500 without too much cable swapping or re-configuration work.
>
> Has anyone done this and if so how did you do it?
>
> Right now, my K-line is K3/P3 -->  KPA500  -->  KAT500
>
> Given configuration and cabling issues I am not sure if I can use the KAT500 easily with the KX3 driving the KPA500.  Has anyone done this, are their issues to resolve?
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> 73, phil, K7PEH

Re: KX3/K3 and KPA500

Phil Wheeler-2
Sound good, Phil. I'm pretty new to the K3 and KX3
so I wondered what you could do with the KX3 but
not with the K3. Now I know. I'm just adding the
KPA500/KAT500 now. Redoing the cables in the shack
is taking much longer than I expected.

Phil

On 4/4/14, 11:17 AM, Phil Hystad wrote:

> KX3 has dual-watch and the K3 doesn't.  I would like to use my KX3 for DX that often operates split and so far working without also listening on the split TX frequency is giving me a clear disadvantage.   This is all CW, not SSB.
>
> Since I only have the KX3/10 right now, I am thinking that I could use it with my KPA500 when I am operating at home.  I have not yet acquired the KXPA100.
>
> If there is a better alternative (yes, buying the Sub-RX is better but that is future too) then let me know.  I don't particular like the REV feature for switching TX/RX but it is a cheap alternative but just not as nice as dual-watch (or, SubRX).
>
> phil
>

> On Apr 4, 2014, at 10:59 AM, Phil Wheeler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Why?
>>
>> Phil W7OX
>>
>> On 4/4/14, 10:52 AM, Phil Hystad wrote:
>>> I am thinking of setting up a configuration to easily switch my KX3 and K3 with my KPA500.  That is, I want to use both K3 and KX3 to drive KPA500 without too much cable swapping or re-configuration work.
>>> 73, phil, K7PEH

Re: KX3/K3 and KPA500

vk2rq
K3 will do "dual watch" too, if you add the KRX3 sub receiver module. Costs a bit more, but is more flexible than the KX3 dual watch feature.

73,
Matt VK2RQ

> On 5 Apr 2014, at 7:13 am, Phil Wheeler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Sound good, Phil. I'm pretty new to the K3 and KX3 so I wondered what you could do with the KX3 but not with the K3. Now I know. I'm just adding the KPA500/KAT500 now. Redoing the cables in the shack is taking much longer than I expected.
>
> Phil
>
>> On 4/4/14, 11:17 AM, Phil Hystad wrote:
>> KX3 has dual-watch and the K3 doesn't.  I would like to use my KX3 for DX that often operates split and so far working without also listening on the split TX frequency is giving me a clear disadvantage.   This is all CW, not SSB.
>>
>> Since I only have the KX3/10 right now, I am thinking that I could use it with my KPA500 when I am operating at home.  I have not yet acquired the KXPA100.
>>
>> If there is a better alternative (yes, buying the Sub-RX is better but that is future too) then let me know.  I don't particular like the REV feature for switching TX/RX but it is a cheap alternative but just not as nice as dual-watch (or, SubRX).
>>
>> phil
>>

>>> On Apr 4, 2014, at 10:59 AM, Phil Wheeler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Why?
>>>
>>> Phil W7OX

Re: KX3/K3 and KPA500

Jim Bennett
Too many Phils! :-)

Another cool thing about the KX3 is that RX I/Q output port. Since there is no KXP3 (coming soon...? Maybe) I run the RX I/Q output into the Line In port on my computer and run the free software package NaP3. I'm using an Apple iMac with 27" display, so I have a very nice display of a chunk of band. Using the KX3's Split and Sub features together, I can see where there are holes in a DX pileup, and/or jump right on the frequency of the last guy the DX station is working. Combining this feature with the ability to use the KPA500 and the KAT500 makes the KX3 a very, very spiffy rig. Just like having a K3 with the P3. Almost. Kinda. :-)

Jim / W6jHB

On   Friday, Apr 4, 2014, at  Friday, 1:13 PM, Phil Wheeler wrote:

> Sound good, Phil. I'm pretty new to the K3 and KX3 so I wondered what you could do with the KX3 but not with the K3. Now I know. I'm just adding the KPA500/KAT500 now. Redoing the cables in the shack is taking much longer than I expected.
>
> Phil
>
> On 4/4/14, 11:17 AM, Phil Hystad wrote:
>> KX3 has dual-watch and the K3 doesn't.  I would like to use my KX3 for DX that often operates split and so far working without also listening on the split TX frequency is giving me a clear disadvantage.   This is all CW, not SSB.
>>
>> Since I only have the KX3/10 right now, I am thinking that I could use it with my KPA500 when I am operating at home.  I have not yet acquired the KXPA100.
>>
>> If there is a better alternative (yes, buying the Sub-RX is better but that is future too) then let me know.  I don't particular like the REV feature for switching TX/RX but it is a cheap alternative but just not as nice as dual-watch (or, SubRX).
>>
>> phil
>>

>> On Apr 4, 2014, at 10:59 AM, Phil Wheeler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Why?
>>>
>>> Phil W7OX

Re: KX3/K3 and KPA500

Mark Bayern
>>Since there is no KXP3 (coming soon...? Maybe)

Would you settle for the 'PX3' ?

Announced today.
<http://www.elecraft.com/manual/PX3%20Data%20Sheet%20rev%20B1a.pdf>

Mark AD5SS

  On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 3:35 PM, Jim Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Too many Phils! :-)
>
> Another cool thing about the KX3 is that RX I/Q output port. Since there is no KXP3 (coming soon...? Maybe) I run the RX I/Q output into the Line In port on my computer and run the free software package NaP3. I'm using an Apple iMac with 27" display, so I have a very nice display of a chunk of band. Using the KX3's Split and Sub features together, I can see where there are holes in a DX pileup, and/or jump right on the frequency of the last guy the DX station is working. Combining this feature with the ability to use the KPA500 and the KAT500 makes the KX3 a very, very spiffy rig. Just like having a K3 with the P3. Almost. Kinda. :-)
>
> Jim / W6jHB

Re: KX3/K3 and KPA500

Phil Hystad-3
Jim,

Thanks.  Yes, I do have Fred Cady's book.  Why I never looked in there to find some answers is one of the mysteries of the week.  The other mystery of the week though is how is it that (Seattle Seahawks head coach)  Pete Carroll's favorite TV show is "The Bachelor".

73, phil, K7PEH

On Apr 4, 2014, at 12:15 PM, Jim Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Phil,
>
> I have that exact setup: K3/KX3-->KPA500-->KAT500-->Multiple antennas. Works very well. I went by the guide & picture in the Kady book for the KX3. I use a two position coax switch between the K3 and the KX3. Do you have Fred Kady's KX3 book?
>
> Jim / W6JHB
>
> On Apr 4, 2014, at 10:52 AM, Phil Hystad wrote:
>
>> I am thinking of setting up a configuration to easily switch my KX3 and K3 with my KPA500.  That is, I want to use both K3 and KX3 to drive KPA500 without too much cable swapping or re-configuration work.
>>
>> Has anyone done this and if so how did you do it?
>>
>> Right now, my K-line is K3/P3 -->  KPA500  -->  KAT500
>>
>> Given configuration and cabling issues I am not sure if I can use the KAT500 easily with the KX3 driving the KPA500.  Has anyone done this, are their issues to resolve?
>>
>> Thanks for any help
>>
>> 73, phil, K7PEH

Re: KX3/K3 and KPA500

Phil Hystad-3
Matt,

Actually, the KRX3 sub-receiver for my K3 is on my "to buy" list.  As of today, this list is growing faster than I can buy:

1.  K3 sub-receiver, KRX3 plus needed roofing filters.
2.  KXPA100 plus antenna tuner.
3.  2-Meter option for KX3 when it is available.
4.  As of today, the PX3.

73, phil, K7PEH

On Apr 4, 2014, at 1:34 PM, Matt VK2RQ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> K3 will do "dual watch" too, if you add the KRX3 sub receiver module. Costs a bit more, but is more flexible than the KX3 dual watch feature.
>
> 73,
> Matt VK2RQ
>
>> On 5 Apr 2014, at 7:13 am, Phil Wheeler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Sound good, Phil. I'm pretty new to the K3 and KX3 so I wondered what you could do with the KX3 but not with the K3. Now I know. I'm just adding the KPA500/KAT500 now. Redoing the cables in the shack is taking much longer than I expected.
>>
>> Phil
>>
>>> On 4/4/14, 11:17 AM, Phil Hystad wrote:
>>> KX3 has dual-watch and the K3 doesn't.  I would like to use my KX3 for DX that often operates split and so far working without also listening on the split TX frequency is giving me a clear disadvantage.   This is all CW, not SSB.
>>>
>>> Since I only have the KX3/10 right now, I am thinking that I could use it with my KPA500 when I am operating at home.  I have not yet acquired the KXPA100.
>>>
>>> If there is a better alternative (yes, buying the Sub-RX is better but that is future too) then let me know.  I don't particular like the REV feature for switching TX/RX but it is a cheap alternative but just not as nice as dual-watch (or, SubRX).
>>>
>>> phil

Re: KX3/K3 and KPA500

Phil Hystad-3

> Too many Phils! :-)

It is a new problem for me.  Throughout all of my childhood, in school, and such, having the name phil has made me unique.  There were all kinds of Jims, Bobs, Mikes, Daves, Dicks, but rarely any other phils.  My best friend in 6th/7th grade (now also a FB friend) is the only other phil I ever knew in school (grade school and high school).

If you want to see how rare your name is, go to Wolfram Alpha and type in your name.  It will show you a graph of the names popularity over the years and also its rank in terms of names and even how many people alive today have that name (probably US data only).  Web site is:  www.wolframalpha.com.

You can keep Phil Wheeler and I separate by noting that my name is lower case and his is capitalized.

73, phil, K7PEH

> Another cool thing about the KX3 is that RX I/Q output port. Since there is no KXP3 (coming soon...? Maybe) I run the RX I/Q output into the Line In port on my computer and run the free software package NaP3. I'm using an Apple iMac with 27" display, so I have a very nice display of a chunk of band. Using the KX3's Split and Sub features together, I can see where there are holes in a DX pileup, and/or jump right on the frequency of the last guy the DX station is working. Combining this feature with the ability to use the KPA500 and the KAT500 makes the KX3 a very, very spiffy rig. Just like having a K3 with the P3. Almost. Kinda. :-)
>
> Jim / W6jHB
>
> On   Friday, Apr 4, 2014, at  Friday, 1:13 PM, Phil Wheeler wrote:
>
>> Sound good, Phil. I'm pretty new to the K3 and KX3 so I wondered what you could do with the KX3 but not with the K3. Now I know. I'm just adding the KPA500/KAT500 now. Redoing the cables in the shack is taking much longer than I expected.
>>
>> Phil
>>
>> On 4/4/14, 11:17 AM, Phil Hystad wrote:
>>> KX3 has dual-watch and the K3 doesn't.  I would like to use my KX3 for DX that often operates split and so far working without also listening on the split TX frequency is giving me a clear disadvantage.   This is all CW, not SSB.
>>>
>>> Since I only have the KX3/10 right now, I am thinking that I could use it with my KPA500 when I am operating at home.  I have not yet acquired the KXPA100.
>>>
>>> If there is a better alternative (yes, buying the Sub-RX is better but that is future too) then let me know.  I don't particular like the REV feature for switching TX/RX but it is a cheap alternative but just not as nice as dual-watch (or, SubRX).
>>>
>>> phil

Re: KX3/K3 and KPA500

Phil Wheeler-2
My problem is Bills. In any crowd or waiting room
they sound too much the same. Then I become
Phillip ;-)

73, Phil W7OX

On 4/4/14, 2:20 PM, Phil Hystad wrote:
>> Too many Phils! :-)
>>
> It is a new problem for me.  Throughout all of my childhood, in school, and such, having the name phil has made me unique.  There were all kinds of Jims, Bobs, Mikes, Daves, Dicks, but rarely any other phils.  My best friend in 6th/7th grade (now also a FB friend) is the only other phil I ever knew in school (grade school and high school).
>
> If you want to see how rare your name is, go to Wolfram Alpha and type in your name.  It will show you a graph of the names popularity over the years and also its rank in terms of names and even how many people alive today have that name (probably US data only).  Web site is:  www.wolframalpha.com.
>
> You can keep Phil Wheeler and I separate by noting that my name is lower case and his is capitalized.
>
> 73, phil, K7PEH

Re: KX3/K3 and KPA500

Don Wilhelm-4
I have a problem with "Bills" too - too much month at the end of the
money! :-)

On 4/4/2014 5:55 PM, Phil Wheeler wrote:
> My problem is Bills. In any crowd or waiting room they sound too much
> the same. Then I become Phillip ;-)

Re: KX3/K3 and KPA500

W2RMS
Sound like all you need is the W2IHY iPlus box.
It will switch between 3 radios with one mic, PTT and an amp...
I have and use it all the time.
http://www.w2ihy.com/audio-switches.html