Quantcast

[KX3] KXPA100 Control Cable Extension

Ozy

[KX3] KXPA100 Control Cable Extension

Ozy
Can I use a CAT5 coupler and cat 5 cable to extend the distance between the two?  I'd like to keep the amp where my KPA500 is in the other room while operating from my laziboy.  :)

Re: [KX3] KXPA100 Control Cable Extension

Don Wilhelm-4
Chris,

I am not certain what you are referring to as a CAT5 coupler, so the
answer is maybe.
If the "CAT5 coupler" is an RS-232 to Ethernet converter, it should
work, but if it simply takes the RS-232 signals and simply connects them
directly to the wires of a CAT5 cable, there will be a limit to the
distance you can add before you encounter errors.

On 10/21/2013 4:58 AM, Chris Johnson wrote:
> Can I use a CAT5 coupler and cat 5 cable to extend the distance between the two?  I'd like to keep the amp where my KPA500 is in the other room while operating from my laziboy.  :)

Re: [KX3] KXPA100 Control Cable Extension

Matt Zilmer-2
A CAT5 coupler is a double female junction that allows two spans of
CAT5 cable to be butted together to form a longer cable.  In general,
these don't hold the longer cable within CAT5 specs, but that may not
be important in this application.

The total maximum cable span is probably a question for the KXPA
design staff or for support.

matt W6NIA

On Mon, 21 Oct 2013 08:16:35 -0400, you wrote:

>Chris,
>
>I am not certain what you are referring to as a CAT5 coupler, so the
>answer is maybe.
>If the "CAT5 coupler" is an RS-232 to Ethernet converter, it should
>work, but if it simply takes the RS-232 signals and simply connects them
>directly to the wires of a CAT5 cable, there will be a limit to the
>distance you can add before you encounter errors.
>
>73,
>Don W3FPR
>
>On 10/21/2013 4:58 AM, Chris Johnson wrote:
>> Can I use a CAT5 coupler and cat 5 cable to extend the distance between the two?  I'd like to keep the amp where my KPA500 is in the other room while operating from my laziboy.  :)

Matt Zilmer, W6NIA
www.elecraft.com
831-763-4211  x129