Quantcast

KX3 + NaP3

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

KX3 + NaP3

Tony Estep
I'm an NaP3 fan, having used it with my K3 for some months. Today, I got
the appropriate cable made up and tried the KX3's I-Q outputs to NaP3.
Setup took basically zero minutes. I just installed the software, using all
the defaults, and started it up. It works great! So far I'm using the
built-in sound card in my desktop (Realtek, 192K sampling) with the basic
MME driver. I'll experiment with other stuff later, but so far so good. If
anyone has thought about trying it but hasn't, I'd say go for it. Big
panadapter display, point-n-click tuning, etc. Up to this point, no hassle,
and zero cost.

Tony KT0NY


--
http://www.isb.edu/faculty/facultydir.aspx?ddlFaculty=352
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: KX3 + NaP3

ab2tc
Hi,

That's exciting! How wide span can you get with that setup?

AB2TC - Knut

Tony Estep wrote
I'm an NaP3 fan, having used it with my K3 for some months. Today, I got
the appropriate cable made up and tried the KX3's I-Q outputs to NaP3.
Setup took basically zero minutes. I just installed the software, using all
the defaults, and started it up. It works great! So far I'm using the
built-in sound card in my desktop (Realtek, 192K sampling) with the basic
MME driver. I'll experiment with other stuff later, but so far so good. If
anyone has thought about trying it but hasn't, I'd say go for it. Big
panadapter display, point-n-click tuning, etc. Up to this point, no hassle,
and zero cost.

Tony KT0NY

<snip>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: KX3 + NaP3

Ignacy
In reply to this post by Tony Estep
NaP3 seems to work well but the display shows vertical lines every 1-2 KHz. These lines disappear when tuning in fixed mode, but reappear when tuning is over.  Any idea how to get rid of those lines?

Ignacy, NO9E
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: KX3 + NaP3

gdaught6
> NaP3 seems to work well but the display shows vertical lines every
> 1-2 KHz.

I've seen NaP3 references many times, but I'm completely in the dark about what it
means.  Could somebody clue me in, please?

Sodium Phosphide would be Na3P (If it exists)...

73,

George T Daughters, K6GT
CU in the California QSO Party (CQP)
October 6-7, 2012


______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: KX3 + NaP3

Phil Hystad-3
NaP3 is a panadapter display program.  I know just a little tiny bit about it, such as how to spell it but not much more.


On Sep 11, 2012, at 6:48 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

>> NaP3 seems to work well but the display shows vertical lines every
>> 1-2 KHz.
>
> I've seen NaP3 references many times, but I'm completely in the dark about what it
> means.  Could somebody clue me in, please?
>
> Sodium Phosphide would be Na3P (If it exists)...
>
> 73,
>
> George T Daughters, K6GT
> CU in the California QSO Party (CQP)
> October 6-7, 2012
>
>
> ______________________________________________________________
> Elecraft mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: KX3 + NaP3

Matt Maguire
It's a good option if you want to have a panadaptor display with your KX3. It requires Windows, but I use it on my Mac with VMWare/WindowsXP. It is based on the PowerSDR family, and has been streamlined for use as a panadaptor.

You can find pictures and more info here:
http://www.telepostinc.com/NaP3.html

73, Matt VK2ACL

On 12/09/2012, at 11:52 AM, Phil Hystad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> NaP3 is a panadapter display program.  I know just a little tiny bit about it, such as how to spell it but not much more.
>
>
> On Sep 11, 2012, at 6:48 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>>> NaP3 seems to work well but the display shows vertical lines every
>>> 1-2 KHz.
>>
>> I've seen NaP3 references many times, but I'm completely in the dark about what it
>> means.  Could somebody clue me in, please?
>>
>> Sodium Phosphide would be Na3P (If it exists)...
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> George T Daughters, K6GT
>> CU in the California QSO Party (CQP)
>> October 6-7, 2012
>>
>>
>> ______________________________________________________________
>> Elecraft mailing list
>> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
>> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>>
>> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>
> ______________________________________________________________
> Elecraft mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: KX3 + NaP3

Buck - k4ia
In reply to this post by Phil Hystad-3
I think NAP3 stands for "Not A P3"

Buck
k4ia
K3 # 101  KX3 #715

On 9/11/2012 10:46 PM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:

> It's a great example of why acronyms are absurd if you want to communicate
> anything to others outside of an exclusive small group.
>
> It's been a problem as long as I've been writing technical literature, which
> goes back to the 1960's!
>
> 73, Ron AC7AC
>
> -----Original Message-----
> NaP3 is a panadapter display program.  I know just a little tiny bit about
> it, such as how to spell it but not much more.
>
>
> On Sep 11, 2012, at 6:48 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>>> NaP3 seems to work well but the display shows vertical lines every
>>> 1-2 KHz.
>>
>> I've seen NaP3 references many times, but I'm completely in the dark
>> about what it means.  Could somebody clue me in, please?
>>
>> Sodium Phosphide would be Na3P (If it exists)...
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> George T Daughters, K6GT
>> CU in the California QSO Party (CQP)
>> October 6-7, 2012
>
> ______________________________________________________________
> Elecraft mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: KX3 + NaP3

Barry K3NDM
In reply to this post by Phil Hystad-3
NaP3 is more than a panadapter display. It takes the I&Q signals from the KX3 and can do all of the filtering and demodulation that shows on the radio's front panel. It can be set up that so that you see a constant bandwidth +/- the point the radio is tuned. Think FlexRadio, but it's KX3 with neat software.

73,
Barry
K3NDM

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phil Hystad" <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Cc: [hidden email]
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 9:52:29 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] KX3 + NaP3

NaP3 is a panadapter display program. I know just a little tiny bit about it, such as how to spell it but not much more.


On Sep 11, 2012, at 6:48 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

>> NaP3 seems to work well but the display shows vertical lines every
>> 1-2 KHz.
>
> I've seen NaP3 references many times, but I'm completely in the dark about what it
> means. Could somebody clue me in, please?
>
> Sodium Phosphide would be Na3P (If it exists)...
>
> 73,
>
> George T Daughters, K6GT
> CU in the California QSO Party (CQP)
> October 6-7, 2012
>
>
> ______________________________________________________________
> Elecraft mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft 
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm 
> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net 
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html 

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft 
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm 
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net 
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html 
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: KX3 + NaP3

Jim - W6VAR
In reply to this post by gdaught6
When I connected my KX3 1/Q Output, I had significan "nulls" every 100 cycles, which I do not experience with my K3 using the same computer/cables. Running the audio through my Rigblaster's isolation transformers cleaned up the KX3 signal, which I'm told does not incorporate any isolation due to space constraints.

Taking my Rigblaster Pro into the field is simply not practical, so I have a few isolation transormers on order and I will build a small isolation box. FYI, I tried connecting the Radio Shack ground loop isolator, and it was ineffective while one of their discontinued 1:1 isolation tranformers is effective.

Jim
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: KX3 + NaP3

Matt Maguire
Make sure you disable stereo audio effects on your KX3 before using digital modes (ie. menu "AFX MD"=>"OFF").

73, Matt VK2ACL.

On 13/09/2012, at 12:42 AM, Jim - W6VAR <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When I connected my KX3 1/Q Output, I had significan "nulls" every 100
> cycles, which I do not experience with my K3 using the same computer/cables.
> Running the audio through my Rigblaster's isolation transformers cleaned up
> the KX3 signal, which I'm told does not incorporate any isolation due to
> space constraints.
>
> Taking my Rigblaster Pro into the field is simply not practical, so I have a
> few isolation transormers on order and I will build a small isolation box.
> FYI, I tried connecting the Radio Shack ground loop isolator, and it was
> ineffective while one of their discontinued 1:1 isolation tranformers is
> effective.
>
> Jim
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/KX3-NaP3-tp7558731p7562531.html
> Sent from the Elecraft mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
> ______________________________________________________________
> Elecraft mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: KX3 + NaP3

Jim - W6VAR
I wasn't using digital modes, CW and SSB, they were just being displayed on the panadapter via the I/Q output.

I believe DATA modes automatically cancel AFX.

Jim
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: KX3 + NaP3

wayne burdick
In reply to this post by Matt Maguire
I may be automatically disabling AFX in data modes, but if not, I  
will. Just added it to the top of the list.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

On Sep 12, 2012, at 7:53 AM, Matt Maguire wrote:

> Make sure you disable stereo audio effects on your KX3 before using  
> digital modes (ie. menu "AFX MD"=>"OFF").
>
> 73, Matt VK2ACL.
>
> On 13/09/2012, at 12:42 AM, Jim - W6VAR <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> When I connected my KX3 1/Q Output, I had significan "nulls" every  
>> 100
>> cycles, which I do not experience with my K3 using the same  
>> computer/cables.
>> Running the audio through my Rigblaster's isolation transformers  
>> cleaned up
>> the KX3 signal, which I'm told does not incorporate any isolation  
>> due to
>> space constraints.
>>
>> Taking my Rigblaster Pro into the field is simply not practical, so  
>> I have a
>> few isolation transormers on order and I will build a small  
>> isolation box.
>> FYI, I tried connecting the Radio Shack ground loop isolator, and  
>> it was
>> ineffective while one of their discontinued 1:1 isolation  
>> tranformers is
>> effective.
>>
>> Jim
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> View this message in context: http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/KX3-NaP3-tp7558731p7562531.html
>> Sent from the Elecraft mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>> ______________________________________________________________
>> Elecraft mailing list
>> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
>> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>>
>> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>
> ______________________________________________________________
> Elecraft mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: KX3 + NaP3

Barry K3NDM
In reply to this post by Jim - W6VAR
Jim,
      Good idea, but there is bandwidth limitations on some of those
small transformers. You may not get more than about 20 or so KHz before
there is drop off. You might want to do some checking before you go
operational with your scheme. Best of luck with the idea.

73,
Barry
K3NDM

On 9/12/2012 10:42 AM, Jim - W6VAR wrote:

> When I connected my KX3 1/Q Output, I had significan "nulls" every 100
> cycles, which I do not experience with my K3 using the same computer/cables.
> Running the audio through my Rigblaster's isolation transformers cleaned up
> the KX3 signal, which I'm told does not incorporate any isolation due to
> space constraints.
>
> Taking my Rigblaster Pro into the field is simply not practical, so I have a
> few isolation transormers on order and I will build a small isolation box.
> FYI, I tried connecting the Radio Shack ground loop isolator, and it was
> ineffective while one of their discontinued 1:1 isolation tranformers is
> effective.
>
> Jim
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/KX3-NaP3-tp7558731p7562531.html
> Sent from the Elecraft mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
> ______________________________________________________________
> Elecraft mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: KX3 + NaP3

Jim - W6VAR
In reply to this post by Matt Maguire
Correction, the nulls were on audio, no I/Q. They only exist when using a stereo cable or jumpering the left and right channels together. If I pass a mono signal to the computer, they go away.

I tried an isolation transformer with the combined signals, and they didn't filter it. My guess is the Rigblaster only passes a mono signal.

Turning AFX OFF with a stereo cable does eliminate this.

DATA mode with AFX set to DELAY shows issues with the signal, so AFX does not appear to be getting turned off with the DATA MODE.

I'm guessing phase cancellation with AFX??? But that is speculaton on my part.

Jim
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: KX3 + NaP3

Jim - W6VAR
In reply to this post by Barry K3NDM
Yes - good point, quite right. I made a mistake in my post indicating the lines were on the I/Q output, they were on audio...apparetly due to AFX DELAY being on.

Jim
Loading...