KX3 Question

Phil Hystad-3
Gang, I just finished putting together my KX3 with the filter option, ATU, and battery charger.  I am just about to do the calibration for the filter but I noticed that there is an LED or something that flashes, maybe once per 2 seconds?, inside the KX3.  I can see it through the key/paddle plug opening.

Does anyone know what this is?  Is there meaning to the flash?  Is it important?

Thanks,

73, phil, K7PEH

Re: KX3 Question

Lyle Johnson
The flashing LED is on the KXBC3 board and indicates the processor on that board is running.  Should be in the manual/ instructions for that option.

73,

Lyle KK7P

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 13, 2012, at 4:52 PM, Phil Hystad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Gang, I just finished putting together my KX3 with the filter option, ATU, and battery charger.  I am just about to do the calibration for the filter but I noticed that there is an LED or something that flashes, maybe once per 2 seconds?, inside the KX3.  I can see it through the key/paddle plug opening.
>
> Does anyone know what this is?  Is there meaning to the flash?  Is it important?

Re: KX3 Question

ke9uw
Didn't the assembly manual say the if the filter is shipped with the KX3, the filter doesn't need to be calibrated?

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 13, 2012, at 6:57 PM, "Phil Hystad" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Gang, I just finished putting together my KX3 with the filter option, ATU, and battery charger.  I am just about to do the calibration for the filter but I noticed that there is an LED or something that flashes, maybe once per 2 seconds?, inside the KX3.  I can see it through the key/paddle plug opening.
>
> Does anyone know what this is?  Is there meaning to the flash?  Is it important?
>
> Thanks,
>
> 73, phil, K7PEH

Chuck, KE9UW

Re: KX3 Question

John Strandberg
Yes. This is correct and Elecraft has a configuration file for your KX3 by
your serial number including configuration/calibration data for any options
such as the filter.

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 8:24 PM, hawley, charles j jr <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Didn't the assembly manual say the if the filter is shipped with the KX3,
> the filter doesn't need to be calibrated?
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Oct 13, 2012, at 6:57 PM, "Phil Hystad" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Gang, I just finished putting together my KX3 with the filter option,
> ATU, and battery charger.  I am just about to do the calibration for the
> filter but I noticed that there is an LED or something that flashes, maybe
> once per 2 seconds?, inside the KX3.  I can see it through the key/paddle
> plug opening.
> >
> > Does anyone know what this is?  Is there meaning to the flash?  Is it
> important?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > 73, phil, K7PEH

Re: KX3 Question

Phil Hystad-3
OK but I just looked in the assembly manual and the user guide and I did not see anything about NOT doing the configuration/calibration of the filter.  Where is this located?  I mean, the instruction saying that configuration/calibration of the filter is not required if shipped with the KX3.  By the way, even though it was shipped, I did install it and the configuration instructions say that the procedure must be performed whenever the filter is removed or replaced.

What is this configuration file you mention that is associated with my serial number.  Is this something I need to request?

Also, if this too is documented somewhere I must have missed that.  I do admit to not reading the user guide cover to cover yet.

phil

On Oct 13, 2012, at 5:31 PM, John Strandberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes. This is correct and Elecraft has a configuration file for your KX3 by your serial number including configuration/calibration data for any options such as the filter.
>
> On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 8:24 PM, hawley, charles j jr <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Didn't the assembly manual say the if the filter is shipped with the KX3, the filter doesn't need to be calibrated?
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Oct 13, 2012, at 6:57 PM, "Phil Hystad" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Gang, I just finished putting together my KX3 with the filter option, ATU, and battery charger.  I am just about to do the calibration for the filter but I noticed that there is an LED or something that flashes, maybe once per 2 seconds?, inside the KX3.  I can see it through the key/paddle plug opening.
> >
> > Does anyone know what this is?  Is there meaning to the flash?  Is it important?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > 73, phil, K7PEH

Re: KX3 Question

John Strandberg
The information on calibration of filter is in the owner's manual. The
version I have, it is on page 32 under the heading "CALIBRATION".  It
clearly states that if the filter and KX3 were ordered and shipped at the
same time, the filter calibration is not needed.

Elecraft retains configuration files for each KX3 it ships which includes
calibration data for the filter.  I know this because I made a very dumb
error in building my kit and Elecraft support worked me through the
troubleshooting process and the last try before sending back fixed it.  One
of the troubleshooting steps was to do a REINIT which sets all
configuration and calibration data back to factory default.  Once I
notified Vic in support that my problem was solved and I was going to do
the filter calibration, he came back immediately and said "Stop Don't!" and
my S/N configuration file was attached to the email.  He told me just to
upload the config file.  I uploaded it and my KX3 absolutely lit up.  It
was an amazing moment and this radio has been amazing ever since.

If you can't find the statement on no need to do filter calibration in the
manual, just repost and I'll find it in the current version manual.

73 John W4DX
On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 8:50 PM, Phil Hystad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> OK but I just looked in the assembly manual and the user guide and I did
> not see anything about NOT doing the configuration/calibration of the
> filter.  Where is this located?  I mean, the instruction saying that
> configuration/calibration of the filter is not required if shipped with the
> KX3.  By the way, even though it was shipped, I did install it and the
> configuration instructions say that the procedure must be performed
> whenever the filter is removed or replaced.
>
> What is this configuration file you mention that is associated with my
> serial number.  Is this something I need to request?
>
> Also, if this too is documented somewhere I must have missed that.  I do
> admit to not reading the user guide cover to cover yet.
>
> phil
>

> On Oct 13, 2012, at 5:31 PM, John Strandberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes. This is correct and Elecraft has a configuration file for your KX3 by
> your serial number including configuration/calibration data for any options
> such as the filter.
>
> On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 8:24 PM, hawley, charles j jr <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Didn't the assembly manual say the if the filter is shipped with the KX3,
>> the filter doesn't need to be calibrated?
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>> On Oct 13, 2012, at 6:57 PM, "Phil Hystad" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Gang, I just finished putting together my KX3 with the filter option,
>> ATU, and battery charger.  I am just about to do the calibration for the
>> filter but I noticed that there is an LED or something that flashes, maybe
>> once per 2 seconds?, inside the KX3.  I can see it through the key/paddle
>> plug opening.
>> >
>> > Does anyone know what this is?  Is there meaning to the flash?  Is it
>> important?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > 73, phil, K7PEH

>> > Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>> >
>> > This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>> > Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: KX3 Question

Phil Hystad-3
OK, maybe I am misunderstanding something or mis-stating this question of calibration/configuration.

First, my page 32 in my owner's manual DOES NOT have a section called CALIBRATION.  That is the top of page 31.  And, right under that there is this statement:

"Most calibration steps are performed at the factory for both kit and assembled KX3s.
There is one exception:  If you install a KXFL3 roofing filter during the KX3 kit assembly, or install one in a factory assembled KX3 after initial purchase, you'll need to perform the Receive Sideband calibration step (pg. 32)."

So, is this what you are referring to because it seems to suggest that there still is a calibration procedure associated with the KXFL3.

Thanks for any additional help and clarity you can provide.  By the way, my owner's manual is Revision B4, June 1, 2012 which is the same as currently available as "the latest" on the Elecraft web site.

73, phil, K7PEH

On Oct 13, 2012, at 6:14 PM, John Strandberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
>> Yes. This is correct and Elecraft has a configuration file for your KX3 by your serial number including configuration/calibration data for any options such as the filter.
>>
>> On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 8:24 PM, hawley, charles j jr <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Didn't the assembly manual say the if the filter is shipped with the KX3, the filter doesn't need to be calibrated?
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>> On Oct 13, 2012, at 6:57 PM, "Phil Hystad" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Gang, I just finished putting together my KX3 with the filter option, ATU, and battery charger.  I am just about to do the calibration for the filter but I noticed that there is an LED or something that flashes, maybe once per 2 seconds?, inside the KX3.  I can see it through the key/paddle plug opening.
>> >
>> > Does anyone know what this is?  Is there meaning to the flash?  Is it important?

Larry W2LJ
On 10/13/2012 8:50 PM, Phil Hystad wrote:
> OK but I just looked in the assembly manual and the user guide and I did not see anything about NOT doing the configuration/calibration of the filter.  Where is this located?

This was mentioned several times here on the KX3 reflector.  I didn't
know about this either, until I saw a post by Don W3PFR, affirming this
fact.

Larry W2LJ

--
73 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!

http://w2lj.blogspot.com/
http://www.w2lj.qrpradio.com/

Re: KX3 Question

John Strandberg
I think there is a comma in the below excerpt from the manual that may be
misleading.  If you're not comfortable, send and email to
[hidden email] and you will the correct information.  I would
strongly advise against performing the filter calibration until you hear it
from Elecraft.

*Most calibration steps are performed at the*
*factory for both kit and assembled KX3s.*
There is one exception: If you install a KXFL3
roofing filter during KX3 kit assembly*, *or install

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 9:25 PM, Phil Hystad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> admit to not reading the user guide cover to cover yet.
>>
>> phil
>>

>> On Oct 13, 2012, at 5:31 PM, John Strandberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Yes. This is correct and Elecraft has a configuration file for your KX3
>> by your serial number including configuration/calibration data for any
>> options such as the filter.
>>
>> On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 8:24 PM, hawley, charles j jr <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Didn't the assembly manual say the if the filter is shipped with the
>>> KX3, the filter doesn't need to be calibrated?
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPad

>>> ATU, and battery charger.  I am just about to do the calibration for the
>>> filter but I noticed that there is an LED or something that flashes, maybe
>>> once per 2 seconds?, inside the KX3.  I can see it through the key/paddle

Mike B-12
Page 31 of the owner's manual states that if you install a KXFL3 during kit
assembly, you need to run the receive sideband calibration on page 32.  I don't
think this was done at the factory, as my cal values were quite a bit different
from the default values in the rig.

Mike

On 10/13/2012 08:50 PM, Phil Hystad wrote:

> OK but I just looked in the assembly manual and the user guide and I did not see anything about NOT doing the configuration/calibration of the filter.  Where is this located?  I mean, the instruction saying that configuration/calibration of the filter is not required if shipped with the KX3.  By the way, even though it was shipped, I did install it and the configuration instructions say that the procedure must be performed whenever the filter is removed or replaced.
>
> What is this configuration file you mention that is associated with my serial number.  Is this something I need to request?
>
> Also, if this too is documented somewhere I must have missed that.  I do admit to not reading the user guide cover to cover yet.
>
> phil
>

> On Oct 13, 2012, at 5:31 PM, John Strandberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Yes. This is correct and Elecraft has a configuration file for your KX3 by your serial number including configuration/calibration data for any options such as the filter.
>>
>> On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 8:24 PM, hawley, charles j jr <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Didn't the assembly manual say the if the filter is shipped with the KX3, the filter doesn't need to be calibrated?
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>> On Oct 13, 2012, at 6:57 PM, "Phil Hystad" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Gang, I just finished putting together my KX3 with the filter option, ATU, and battery charger.  I am just about to do the calibration for the filter but I noticed that there is an LED or something that flashes, maybe once per 2 seconds?, inside the KX3.  I can see it through the key/paddle plug opening.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know what this is?  Is there meaning to the flash?  Is it important?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> 73, phil, K7PEH

Re: KX3 Question

Don Wilhelm-4
Mike and all,

Whatever options you ordered with your KX3 were pre-aligned.  BUT, can
you do a better job of it in your own shack after you assemble your
particular KX3 - the answer is a definite YES.  The alignment that comes
with your KX3 is good, but with care, you can always do better.  Just
how much care and effort you are willing to expend will depend on
whether you are willing to leave well enough alone or whether you want
to tweak it for more optimum performance.

I do work on the legacy Elecraft gear, and in the case of the K2 filter
alignment in particular, the manual gives you workable settings, but I
use Spectrogram to optimize the filter settings. Yes, my settings are
different from the manual settings, but I have never had a customer
complain about the settings I have used - Quite the contrary, I have
received many accolades about the K2 filter settings that I have used.

There is not a Spectrogram equal for the KX3, I only inject that as one
example that says "The manual settings are workable",  but there can be
optimization above and beyond the manual settings for those who want to
do refinement.  I recommend that all users do the refinement.

On 10/13/2012 9:43 PM, Mike wrote:

> Page 31 of the owner's manual states that if you install a KXFL3 during kit
> assembly, you need to run the receive sideband calibration on page 32.  I don't
> think this was done at the factory, as my cal values were quite a bit different
> from the default values in the rig.
>
> Mike
>
> On 10/13/2012 08:50 PM, Phil Hystad wrote:
>> OK but I just looked in the assembly manual and the user guide and I did not see anything about NOT doing the configuration/calibration of the filter.  Where is this located?  I mean, the instruction saying that configuration/calibration of the filter is not required if shipped with the KX3.  By the way, even though it was shipped, I did install it and the configuration instructions say that the procedure must be performed whenever the filter is removed or replaced.
>>
>> What is this configuration file you mention that is associated with my serial number.  Is this something I need to request?
>>
>> Also, if this too is documented somewhere I must have missed that.  I do admit to not reading the user guide cover to cover yet.
>>
>> phil
>>

>> On Oct 13, 2012, at 5:31 PM, John Strandberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Yes. This is correct and Elecraft has a configuration file for your KX3 by your serial number including configuration/calibration data for any options such as the filter.
>>>
>>> On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 8:24 PM, hawley, charles j jr <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Didn't the assembly manual say the if the filter is shipped with the KX3, the filter doesn't need to be calibrated?
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPad

KX3 Question

Johnny Siu
Hello Mike,

Don is correct.  The refinement excercise is interesting and educational.  I used spectrogram in the alignmnent of K2 filters.  I also deliberately chose the kit version KX3 in order to learn more about the architecture of the radio.

The required assembly of kx3 is well lower than K2.

TNX & 73,

Johnny VR2XMC

________________________________
寄件人︰ Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]>
收件人︰ Mike <[hidden email]>
副本(CC)︰ [hidden email]
傳送日期︰ 2012年10月14日 (週日) 10:49 AM
主題︰ Re: [Elecraft] KX3 Question

Mike and all,

Whatever options you ordered with your KX3 were pre-aligned.  BUT, can
you do a better job of it in your own shack after you assemble your
particular KX3 - the answer is a definite YES.  The alignment that comes
with your KX3 is good, but with care, you can always do better.  Just
how much care and effort you are willing to expend will depend on
whether you are willing to leave well enough alone or whether you want
to tweak it for more optimum performance.

I do work on the legacy Elecraft gear, and in the case of the K2 filter
alignment in particular, the manual gives you workable settings, but I
use Spectrogram to optimize the filter settings. Yes, my settings are
different from the manual settings, but I have never had a customer
complain about the settings I have used - Quite the contrary, I have
received many accolades about the K2 filter settings that I have used.

There is not a Spectrogram equal for the KX3, I only inject that as one
example that says "The manual settings are workable",  but there can be
optimization above and beyond the manual settings for those who want to
do refinement.  I recommend that all users do the refinement.

On 10/13/2012 9:43 PM, Mike wrote:

> Page 31 of the owner's manual states that if you install a KXFL3 during kit
> assembly, you need to run the receive sideband calibration on page 32.  I don't
> think this was done at the factory, as my cal values were quite a bit different
> from the default values in the rig.
>
> Mike
>
> On 10/13/2012 08:50 PM, Phil Hystad wrote:
>> OK but I just looked in the assembly manual and the user guide and I did not see anything about NOT doing the configuration/calibration of the filter.  Where is this located?  I mean, the instruction saying that configuration/calibration of the filter is not required if shipped with the KX3.  By the way, even though it was shipped, I did install it and the configuration instructions say that the procedure must be performed whenever the filter is removed or replaced.
>>
>> What is this configuration file you mention that is associated with my serial number.  Is this something I need to request?
>>
>> Also, if this too is documented somewhere I must have missed that.  I do admit to not reading the user guide cover to cover yet.
>>
>> phil
>>

>> On Oct 13, 2012, at 5:31 PM, John Strandberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Yes. This is correct and Elecraft has a configuration file for your KX3 by your serial number including configuration/calibration data for any options such as the filter.
>>>
>>> On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 8:24 PM, hawley, charles j jr <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Didn't the assembly manual say the if the filter is shipped with the KX3, the filter doesn't need to be calibrated?
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPad

Re: KX3 Question

Matt Maguire

On 14/10/2012, at 1:49 PM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I recommend that all users do the refinement.

With the new per-band alignment settings introduced in the latest firmware, this is probably not a bad idea.

73, Matt VK2ACL

Re: KX3 Question

John Strandberg
I want to qualify my previous posts on this topic.  I translated
information sent to me from Elecraft support to try to help.  What I wrote
was not explicit from Vic or Elecraft.  It was only my interpretation of
the communications I received in an attempt to help.
73 John W4DX

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 10:49 PM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> KX3.  By the way, even though it was shipped, I did install it and the
> configuration instructions say that the procedure must be performed
> whenever the filter is removed or replaced.
> >>
> >> What is this configuration file you mention that is associated with my
> serial number.  Is this something I need to request?
> >>
> >> Also, if this too is documented somewhere I must have missed that.  I
> do admit to not reading the user guide cover to cover yet.
> >>
> >> phil

> KX3 by your serial number including configuration/calibration data for any
> options such as the filter.

> KX3, the filter doesn't need to be calibrated?

> ATU, and battery charger.  I am just about to do the calibration for the
> filter but I noticed that there is an LED or something that flashes, maybe
> once per 2 seconds?, inside the KX3.  I can see it through the key/paddle

Guys,

I initiated this series of e-mails on this topic.  I had a simple question about an LED light I could see
on the inside of the KX3.  I mentioned I was about to do the calibration of the filter and someone
told me that I did not have to do this.  Others joined in and said that it was true that this step
was not needed if I ordered the KXFL3 at the same time as the KX3.  And, others said that this
was mentioned in the documentation.  I could not find that statement.  Even though someone
pointed me to the very page and the very paragraph, I could not find any statement that said
that "if I ordered my KXFL3 with my KX3 that I did not have to do any calibration".

Unfortunately, I will need to wait until Monday to call up Elecraft and talk to someone because
the more e-mails I see on this question, the more confusing and conflicting the information
becomes.

For example, on page 29 under CONFIGURATION section the bullet item that is associated
with the KXFL3 says this:

      "You must then perform the Receive Sideband calibration procedure (pg. 32)."

No where that I can find is there a statement that says this does not need to be done.  Someone
did point me to the Calibration section but it did not say anything to contradict the quoted
statement above.

My assumption is that according to the writing of this owner manual, all who have the
KXFL3 Roofing Filter Module are expected to perform this calibration procedure.

So, my KX3 work is on hold until Monday.  That is OK, I can spend time doing something
else.

73, phil, K7PEH

On Oct 13, 2012, at 8:47 PM, John Strandberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> filter.  Where is this located?  I mean, the instruction saying that
>> configuration/calibration of the filter is not required if shipped with the
>> KX3.  By the way, even though it was shipped, I did install it and the
>> configuration instructions say that the procedure must be performed
>> whenever the filter is removed or replaced.

>> serial number.  Is this something I need to request?

>> do admit to not reading the user guide cover to cover yet.

>> KX3 by your serial number including configuration/calibration data for any
>> options such as the filter.

>> KX3, the filter doesn't need to be calibrated?

>> ATU, and battery charger.  I am just about to do the calibration for the
>> filter but I noticed that there is an LED or something that flashes, maybe
>> once per 2 seconds?, inside the KX3.  I can see it through the key/paddle

Mark Forsyth
Hi All,

I the doco that was packaged with my KXFL3 is the Installation Manual Errata
Rev A2-2 July 5 2012. I can't find the doc on the Elecraft web site,
however.

I short, it states :-

Page 1, Introduction, second paragraph, replace it with the following:

If you KXFL3 was supplied with either a factory assembled KX3 or a kit KX3,
it was calibrated at the factory. All you need to do is install it as
described below and enable the module as described in your KX3 owners
manual. If you obtained you KXFL3 module separately or are moving it to
another KX3, you must calibrate it as described on page 4 for optimum
performance.

Cheers,
Mark F...
VK3ZMF

Jon Kåre Hellan
I stil think that the owner's manual is telling us to do the
calibration, and the kit assembly manual is telling us not to. As I'm
lazy, and the kit assembly manual is more recent, I chose to not
calibrate.  But I think there should be an erratum to the owner's manual
about this.

Jon LA4RT
Trondheim, Norway

On 10/14/2012 03:43 AM, John Strandberg wrote:

> [...]
>>> filter.  Where is this located?  I mean, the instruction saying that
>>> configuration/calibration of the filter is not required if shipped with the
>>> KX3.  By the way, even though it was shipped, I did install it and the
>>> configuration instructions say that the procedure must be performed
>>> whenever the filter is removed or replaced.
>>>
>>> What is this configuration file you mention that is associated with my
>>> serial number.  Is this something I need to request?
>>>
>>> Also, if this too is documented somewhere I must have missed that.  I do
>>> admit to not reading the user guide cover to cover yet.
>>>
>>> phil
>>>

>>> On Oct 13, 2012, at 5:31 PM, John Strandberg<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes. This is correct and Elecraft has a configuration file for your KX3
>>> by your serial number including configuration/calibration data for any

W4JBB
Yes, the Owner's Manual does tell you that, Jon.  However, Errata A2-2
dated July 5, 2012 states:

"MAKE THESE CHANGES TO YOUR MANUAL BEFORE BEGINNING ASSEMBLY...

2.  Page 2, Setup and Operation:  Change the second bullet point to read
as follows:

         Turn to page 4 to calibrate the KXFL3 if you purchased it
*separately* (emphasis mine) from the KX3 *or* (emphasis mine) are
installing the KXFL3 in a different KX3.  KXFL3 modules *shipped*
(emphasis mine) with either a factory assembled KX3 or a kit KX3 have
been factory calibrated."

Can you do the calibration?  Yes.  The procedure is there and the tools
necessary to do it are included.  *Must* you do the calibration?  No.  I
cannot see how you would go wrong either way. I did *not* do the
calibration on mine and have been happy with it. Some folks may want to
do it anyway.  It's a choice, not a mandate.

I tried scanning the document I have, but the scan didn't turn out
well.  As someone else stated, I cannot find EXFL3 Errata A2-2 on the
website even after manipulating the web address of the older errata.

73,
Joel - W4JBB

On 10/14/2012 5:25 AM, Jon Kåre Hellan wrote:

> [...]
>>> calibration data for the filter.  I know this because I made a very dumb
>>> error in building my kit and Elecraft support worked me through the
>>> troubleshooting process and the last try before sending back fixed it.  One
>>> of the troubleshooting steps was to do a REINIT which sets all
>>> configuration and calibration data back to factory default.  Once I
>>> notified Vic in support that my problem was solved and I was going to do
>>> the filter calibration, he came back immediately and said "Stop Don't!" and
>>> my S/N configuration file was attached to the email.  He told me just to
>>> upload the config file.  I uploaded it and my KX3 absolutely lit up.  It
>>> was an amazing moment and this radio has been amazing ever since.
>>>
>>> If you can't find the statement on no need to do filter calibration in the
>>> manual, just repost and I'll find it in the current version manual.

Joel,

Thanks for the clarifying comment below.  I remember reading the errata and
marking up my documents with changes but I totally briefed over the part
about the change to calibration (you noted below) and then forgot about it.

This was done in the rush to process all the errata sheets to get required
changes written into the manuals and my main focus at the time were
changes to installation and assembly, not to other stuff.  Oh, well, my
fault for doing this late on Wednesday night when I should have been
in bed asleep.

73, phil, K7PEH

On Oct 14, 2012, at 5:00 AM, Joel Black <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, the Owner's Manual does tell you that, Jon.  However, Errata A2-2
> dated July 5, 2012 states:
>
> "MAKE THESE CHANGES TO YOUR MANUAL BEFORE BEGINNING ASSEMBLY...
>
> 2.  Page 2, Setup and Operation:  Change the second bullet point to read
> as follows:
>
>         Turn to page 4 to calibrate the KXFL3 if you purchased it
> *separately* (emphasis mine) from the KX3 *or* (emphasis mine) are
> installing the KXFL3 in a different KX3.  KXFL3 modules *shipped*
> (emphasis mine) with either a factory assembled KX3 or a kit KX3 have
> been factory calibrated."
>
> Can you do the calibration?  Yes.  The procedure is there and the tools
> necessary to do it are included.  *Must* you do the calibration?  No.  I
> cannot see how you would go wrong either way. I did *not* do the
> calibration on mine and have been happy with it. Some folks may want to
> do it anyway.  It's a choice, not a mandate.
>
> I tried scanning the document I have, but the scan didn't turn out
> well.  As someone else stated, I cannot find EXFL3 Errata A2-2 on the
> website even after manipulating the web address of the older errata.
>
> 73,
> Joel - W4JBB
>
> On 10/14/2012 5:25 AM, Jon Kåre Hellan wrote:
>> I stil think that the owner's manual is telling us to do the
>> calibration, and the kit assembly manual is telling us not to. As I'm
>> lazy, and the kit assembly manual is more recent, I chose to not
>> calibrate.  But I think there should be an erratum to the owner's manual
>> about this.
>>
>> Jon LA4RT
>> Trondheim, Norway
>>
>> On 10/14/2012 03:43 AM, John Strandberg wrote:
>>> I think there is a comma in the below excerpt from the manual that may be
>>> misleading.  If you're not comfortable, send and email to
>>> [hidden email] and you will the correct information.  I would
>>> strongly advise against performing the filter calibration until you hear it
>>> from Elecraft.
>>>
>>> *Most calibration steps are performed at the*
>>> *factory for both kit and assembled KX3s.*
>>> There is one exception: If you install a KXFL3
>>> roofing filter during KX3 kit assembly*, *or install
>>> one in a factory assembled KX3 *after initial*
>>> *purchase, *you’ll need to perform the Receive
>>> Sideband calibration step (pg 32).

Re: KX3 Question

Mike Harris
In the past, instead of transcribing the content of the errata into the
main manual I have simple added a note at the appropriate place "see
errata #1" and so on.  Saves a lot of writing.

Regards,

Mike VP8NO