(KX3) Voltage display

Rob May-2
I've been having a weird problem with my KX3.  No matter what voltage I plug into the external power jack, the display will briefly show the correct voltage and then it will show 10.4V.  I've measured the voltage at the barrel tip on the cord and it's either 12.9V (if on a gel cell) or 14.4V if I use the shack PS.  In either case the KX3 internal display shows 10.4V after briefly showing 12.9V or 14.4V.  FW 1.41, all options including internal battery charger.  It didn't used to do this, any help would be greatly appreciated.

73,
Rob
NV5E

Re: (KX3) Voltage display

Dick Dievendorff
Is there any possibility that the coaxial DC connector is the wrong size for
your KX3?  I have had trouble mixing 2.5 and 2.1 mm connectors in my
station.

73 de Dick, K6KR

Re: (KX3) Voltage display

Rob,

Are you using the power connector supplied with the KX3 or some other?
It sounds as if the power supply is being disconnected and you are
seeing the typical voltage from the internal NiMH batteries.
If you are not using the power cable supplied with the KX3, check to be
sure the power plug is a 2.1mm rather than a 2.5mm.
If you need to test the diameter, and have access to some #12 and #14
house wire, the #12 will not fit into a 2.1mm plug, but the #14 will.
If the #12 wire fits into the plug, it is a 2.5mm and will make only
intermittent contact with the KX3 2.1mm jack.

If your power cable is fused, check the fuse for looseness.

On 4/15/2013 6:53 PM, Rob May wrote:
> I've been having a weird problem with my KX3.  No matter what voltage I plug into the external power jack, the display will briefly show the correct voltage and then it will show 10.4V.  I've measured the voltage at the barrel tip on the cord and it's either 12.9V (if on a gel cell) or 14.4V if I use the shack PS.  In either case the KX3 internal display shows 10.4V after briefly showing 12.9V or 14.4V.  FW 1.41, all options including internal battery charger.  It didn't used to do this, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: (KX3) Voltage display

Rob May-2
Dick,
Two different cables, one of them the oem cable.  Both 5.5 x 2.1mm.  Both have molded ends and measure full voltage with a DMM.  Both show just .1V drop on 10W cw transmit.

73,
Rob
NV5E

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
> Subject: RE: [Elecraft] (KX3) Voltage display
> Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 16:05:41 -0700
>
> Is there any possibility that the coaxial DC connector is the wrong size for
> your KX3? I have had trouble mixing 2.5 and 2.1 mm connectors in my
> station.
>
> 73 de Dick, K6KR

Re: (KX3) Voltage display (solved)

Rob May-2
Ok, I feel like an idiot.  Operator error.  Who knew there was a display for BAT and P/S?  I just turned the knob to the left to read the P/S instead of the internal battery.  I hang my head in shame!

73,
Rob
NV5E

---------------------------------------

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 18:14:27 -0500
> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] (KX3) Voltage display
>
> Dick,
> Two different cables, one of them the oem cable.  Both 5.5 x 2.1mm.  Both have molded ends and measure full voltage with a DMM.  Both show just .1V drop on 10W cw transmit.
>
> 73,
> Rob
> NV5E

> > From: [hidden email]
> > To: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
> > Subject: RE: [Elecraft] (KX3) Voltage display
> > Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 16:05:41 -0700
> >
> > Is there any possibility that the coaxial DC connector is the wrong size for
> > your KX3? I have had trouble mixing 2.5 and 2.1 mm connectors in my
> > station.
> >
> > 73 de Dick, K6KR

Re: (KX3) Voltage display

Rob,

That sounds like an email to [hidden email] is in order.

On 4/15/2013 7:14 PM, Rob May wrote:

> Dick,
> Two different cables, one of them the oem cable.  Both 5.5 x 2.1mm.  Both have molded ends and measure full voltage with a DMM.  Both show just .1V drop on 10W cw transmit.
>
> 73,
> Rob
> NV5E

>> From: [hidden email]
>> To: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
>> Subject: RE: [Elecraft] (KX3) Voltage display
>> Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 16:05:41 -0700
>>
>> Is there any possibility that the coaxial DC connector is the wrong size for
>> your KX3? I have had trouble mixing 2.5 and 2.1 mm connectors in my
>> station.
>>
>> 73 de Dick, K6KR

Sounds like a good outcome: no repair required.  I confess to having made
mistakes much like this.  Frequently.

73 de Dick, K6KR

On 4/15/2013 4:20 PM, Rob May wrote:
> Ok, I feel like an idiot.  Operator error.  Who knew there was a
> display for BAT and P/S?  I just turned the knob to the left to read
> the P/S instead of the internal battery.  I hang my head in shame!

No shame!  Back in the "olden days," my SX-28 had perhaps a dozen or so
knobs and switches.  They were all on the front panel and I could see
them.  Menus hadn't been invented yet.

Despite being right in front of me, I often wondered why the band noise
sounded strange, and finally realized I'd left the crystal filter
phasing control in an unnatural position.  Teenager and already having
memory issues. :-))

I admire the design of my E-radios [KX1, K2, K3] and accessories [P3,
KPA500, KAT500].  Everything I need while actually operating them is on
the front panel.  The SX-28 syndrome still applies, but I can see all of
them.  Once I got things on the K3 set up, I rarely hit the menus.
Likewise with my K2.

Contrast to my IC-2300H in the truck where practically everything of
value is buried in a menu I forget how to find, or what the choices mean
when I do find them.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2013 Cal QSO Party 5-6 Oct 2013
- www.cqp.org

Re: (KX3) Voltage display

N0AZZ
I agree with Don this could happen to others and cause needless calls to
support for a simple fix.

Myself among them 8>)

73,
Fred/N0AZZ
K3 Ser #'s 6730/5299--KX3 # 2573--K2/100--KAT100
P3/SVGA--KPA500--KAT500--W2

That sounds like an email to [hidden email] is in order.

On 4/15/2013 7:14 PM, Rob May wrote:
> Dick,
> Two different cables, one of them the oem cable.  Both 5.5 x 2.1mm.  Both
have molded ends and measure full voltage with a DMM.  Both show just .1V
drop on 10W cw transmit.

> 73,
> Rob
> NV5E

>> From: [hidden email]
>> To: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
>> Subject: RE: [Elecraft] (KX3) Voltage display
>> Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 16:05:41 -0700
>>
>> Is there any possibility that the coaxial DC connector is the wrong
>> size for your KX3? I have had trouble mixing 2.5 and 2.1 mm
>> connectors in my station.
>>
>> 73 de Dick, K6KR

-----
No virus found in this message.

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: (KX3) Voltage display (solved)

Holger Schurig-2
Now just the question arises why the BAT display shortly raises to the
input voltage if you connect the power? ...

Holger, DH3HS

2013/4/16 Fred Jensen <[hidden email]>

> On 4/15/2013 4:20 PM, Rob May wrote:
>
>> Ok, I feel like an idiot.  Operator error.  Who knew there was a
>> display for BAT and P/S?  I just turned the knob to the left to read
>> the P/S instead of the internal battery.  I hang my head in shame!
>>

> No shame!  Back in the "olden days," my SX-28 had perhaps a dozen or so
> knobs and switches.  They were all on the front panel and I could see them.
>  Menus hadn't been invented yet.
>
> Despite being right in front of me, I often wondered why the band noise
> sounded strange, and finally realized I'd left the crystal filter phasing
> control in an unnatural position.  Teenager and already having memory
> issues. :-))
>
> I admire the design of my E-radios [KX1, K2, K3] and accessories [P3,
> KPA500, KAT500].  Everything I need while actually operating them is on the
> front panel.  The SX-28 syndrome still applies, but I can see all of them.
>  Once I got things on the K3 set up, I rarely hit the menus. Likewise with
> my K2.
>
> Contrast to my IC-2300H in the truck where practically everything of value
> is buried in a menu I forget how to find, or what the choices mean when I
> do find them.
>
> 73,
>
> Fred K6DGW
> - Northern California Contest Club
> - CU in the 2013 Cal QSO Party 5-6 Oct 2013
> - www.cqp.org

> Post: mailto:[hidden email].**net <[hidden email]>

Re: (KX3) Voltage display (solved)

Bruce Beford-2
Rich, AC7MA explained this quite well on the KX3 Yahoo group just last week:

The batteries and external supply are connected at the '+' end. The external
supply '-' is connected to KX3 ground, but not battery '-'.

With an external supply connected that's higher than the battery voltage,
the battery '-' will be a positive voltage with respect to ground, so
battery voltage is the difference between the measurements of the two
terminals. If no batteries are installed, the battery '-'

terminal is at ground potential, so the display for PS and BT will be the
same. When the KX3 is running from batteries, the reverse isolation diode
for the batteries puts the battery '-' slightly below ground, which will be
read as 0V, so PS and BT readout will also be the same in that case.

73,

Rich AC7MA

> Now just the question arises why the BAT display shortly raises to the
> input voltage if you connect the power? ...

> Holger, DH3HS

Re: (KX3) Voltage display (solved)

Holger Schurig-2
I tx you a "thank you" !  :-)