KX3 and FLDIGI

Adrien Dessemond
Hi,

I am trying to use a KX3 with FLDIGI to do some PSK31 QSO. The KX3 is
connected to the computer via a serial cable and FLDIGI has been set
up to use the hamlib ("K3/KX3 beta") and I manually put the KX3 in
"DATA-A"  mode: I can see "USB", "TX DATA" and "AUDIO-A" on the KX3's
LCD. However whenever I transmit some data with FLDIGI, the "USB"
indicator turns off. Is the rig still in AUDIO-A mode ("TX DATA" is
still shown)?  Else which transmission mode I am supposed to use in
FLDIGI for that rig? PCKTUSB/PCKTLSB or simply USB/LSB?

73,

Adrien VE2AKS

Re: KX3 and FLDIGI

Pierfrancesco Caci
On April 20, 2014 10:18:31 PM GMT+02:00, Adrien Dessemond <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi,
>

>I am trying to use a KX3 with FLDIGI to do some PSK31 QSO. The KX3 is
>connected to the computer via a serial cable and FLDIGI has been set
>up to use the hamlib ("K3/KX3 beta") and I manually put the KX3 in
>"DATA-A"  mode: I can see "USB", "TX DATA" and "AUDIO-A" on the KX3's
>LCD. However whenever I transmit some data with FLDIGI, the "USB"
>indicator turns off. Is the rig still in AUDIO-A mode ("TX DATA" is
>still shown)?  Else which transmission mode I am supposed to use in
>FLDIGI for that rig? PCKTUSB/PCKTLSB or simply USB/LSB?
>
>73,
>

>Adrien VE2AKS

>Message delivered to [hidden email]

Not sure for KX3, but on K3 DATA-A corresponds to PKTUSB in fldigi. You may want to bring this up on the linuxham mailing list.

--
Pierfrancesco Caci

Re: KX3 and FLDIGI

Adrien,

I am confused by your statement that you see "AUDIO A" on the LCD.
There is no "AUDIO A" mode and no characters on the LCD indicate that
information.  Yes, there is a "DATA A" Data sub-mode that should be
selected for soundcard data modes (except for RTTY where "AFSK A"
provides added advantages for RTTY).

For most soundcard data modes, you would want to use DATA A submode in
USB.  RTTY normally uses LSB, but RTTY is best used in AFSK A data sub-mode.

Your data mode software application and the KX3 default settings may be
"fighting each other".

On 4/20/2014 4:18 PM, Adrien Dessemond wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I am trying to use a KX3 with FLDIGI to do some PSK31 QSO. The KX3 is
> connected to the computer via a serial cable and FLDIGI has been set
> up to use the hamlib ("K3/KX3 beta") and I manually put the KX3 in
> "DATA-A"  mode: I can see "USB", "TX DATA" and "AUDIO-A" on the KX3's
> LCD. However whenever I transmit some data with FLDIGI, the "USB"
> indicator turns off. Is the rig still in AUDIO-A mode ("TX DATA" is
> still shown)?  Else which transmission mode I am supposed to use in
> FLDIGI for that rig? PCKTUSB/PCKTLSB or simply USB/LSB?

Re: KX3 and FLDIGI

Adrien Dessemond
Don,

My error I apologize, "AUDIO A" should be read as "DATA A" in my
original post. My concern was the transmission mode used by the KX3
once FLDIG triggered a data transmission as it does not seem to stay
in "DATA A" mode anymore, I will dig inside the Hamlib ...  :-) Thank
you your answers.

73,

Adrien VE2AKS

> Adrien,
>
> I am confused by your statement that you see "AUDIO A" on the LCD.
> There is no "AUDIO A" mode and no characters on the LCD indicate that
> information.  Yes, there is a "DATA A" Data sub-mode that should be selected
> for soundcard data modes (except for RTTY where "AFSK A" provides added
> advantages for RTTY).
>
> For most soundcard data modes, you would want to use DATA A submode in USB.
> RTTY normally uses LSB, but RTTY is best used in AFSK A data sub-mode.
>
> Your data mode software application and the KX3 default settings may be
> "fighting each other".

> On 4/20/2014 4:18 PM, Adrien Dessemond wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>

>> I am trying to use a KX3 with FLDIGI to do some PSK31 QSO. The KX3 is
>> connected to the computer via a serial cable and FLDIGI has been set
>> up to use the hamlib ("K3/KX3 beta") and I manually put the KX3 in
>> "DATA-A"  mode: I can see "USB", "TX DATA" and "AUDIO-A" on the KX3's
>> LCD. However whenever I transmit some data with FLDIGI, the "USB"
>> indicator turns off. Is the rig still in AUDIO-A mode ("TX DATA" is
>> still shown)?  Else which transmission mode I am supposed to use in
>> FLDIGI for that rig? PCKTUSB/PCKTLSB or simply USB/LSB?

--
Adrien Dessemond / VE2AKS

Re: KX3 and FLDIGI

Don Wilhelm-5
You might want to try using RigCAT instead of HamLib  - choose K3 if KX3
is not available.
The only function necessary is PTT keying and the proper display of
frequency on the waterfall.

On 4/22/2014 8:50 PM, Adrien Dessemond wrote:

> Don,
>
> My error I apologize, "AUDIO A" should be read as "DATA A" in my
> original post. My concern was the transmission mode used by the KX3
> once FLDIG triggered a data transmission as it does not seem to stay
> in "DATA A" mode anymore, I will dig inside the Hamlib ...  :-) Thank
> you your answers.
>
> 73,
>
> Adrien VE2AKS

>> Adrien,
>>
>> I am confused by your statement that you see "AUDIO A" on the LCD.
>> There is no "AUDIO A" mode and no characters on the LCD indicate that
>> information.  Yes, there is a "DATA A" Data sub-mode that should be selected
>> for soundcard data modes (except for RTTY where "AFSK A" provides added
>> advantages for RTTY).
>>
>> For most soundcard data modes, you would want to use DATA A submode in USB.
>> RTTY normally uses LSB, but RTTY is best used in AFSK A data sub-mode.
>>
>> Your data mode software application and the KX3 default settings may be
>> "fighting each other".
>>
>> 73,
>> Don W3FPR
>>

>> On 4/20/2014 4:18 PM, Adrien Dessemond wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>

>>> I am trying to use a KX3 with FLDIGI to do some PSK31 QSO. The KX3 is
>>> connected to the computer via a serial cable and FLDIGI has been set
>>> up to use the hamlib ("K3/KX3 beta") and I manually put the KX3 in
>>> "DATA-A"  mode: I can see "USB", "TX DATA" and "AUDIO-A" on the KX3's
>>> LCD. However whenever I transmit some data with FLDIGI, the "USB"
>>> indicator turns off. Is the rig still in AUDIO-A mode ("TX DATA" is
>>> still shown)?  Else which transmission mode I am supposed to use in
>>> FLDIGI for that rig? PCKTUSB/PCKTLSB or simply USB/LSB?

Re: KX3 and FLDIGI

Bill Frantz
Consider disconnecting the RS-232 connection and leaving the
audio connection. Then use VOX to key the transmitter. If that
leaves the mode unchanged, then something from HamLib is
changing the settings on the KX3.

Cheers - Bill, AE6JV

On 4/22/14 at 6:28 PM, [hidden email] (Don Wilhelm) wrote:

>You might want to try using RigCAT instead of HamLib  - choose K3 if KX3 is not available.
>The only function necessary is PTT keying and the proper display of frequency on the waterfall.
>
>73,
>Don W3FPR
>
>On 4/22/2014 8:50 PM, Adrien Dessemond wrote:
>>Don,
>>
>>My error I apologize, "AUDIO A" should be read as "DATA A" in my
>>original post. My concern was the transmission mode used by the KX3
>>once FLDIG triggered a data transmission as it does not seem to stay
>>in "DATA A" mode anymore, I will dig inside the Hamlib ...  :-) Thank
>>you your answers.

Re: KX3 and FLDIGI

W4JBB
I think most of those on the linuxham (or Win Fldigi) group would
recommend you use Flrig to control your radio when using Fldigi. There
is a version of Flrig for each of the three major OS's. I *do* suggest
you join one or the other group - linuxham for Linux and OS X, Win
Fldigi for windows.

I use Fldigi with Flrig with my K3. When I get a chance, I will get my
KX3 set up to run with Fldigi/Flrig, but it will be either Friday or
Saturday before I can do that. Either way, I use macros within Fldigi to
control the modes on my radio especially on MARS nets where phone and
digital are used on the same frequency. Receiving data is not a huge
deal in USB (phone) but I still prefer to use a macro to swap between
USB and DATA A. You do have to make sure you set the *correct* data mode.

73,
Joel - W4JBB

On 4/22/14, 8:28 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> You might want to try using RigCAT instead of HamLib  - choose K3 if
> KX3 is not available.
> The only function necessary is PTT keying and the proper display of
> frequency on the waterfall.

> On 4/22/2014 8:50 PM, Adrien Dessemond wrote:
>> Don,
>>
>> My error I apologize, "AUDIO A" should be read as "DATA A" in my
>> original post. My concern was the transmission mode used by the KX3
>> once FLDIG triggered a data transmission as it does not seem to stay
>> in "DATA A" mode anymore, I will dig inside the Hamlib ...  :-) Thank
>> you your answers.
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> Adrien VE2AKS

>>> Adrien,
>>>
>>> I am confused by your statement that you see "AUDIO A" on the LCD.
>>> There is no "AUDIO A" mode and no characters on the LCD indicate that
>>> information.  Yes, there is a "DATA A" Data sub-mode that should be
>>> selected
>>> for soundcard data modes (except for RTTY where "AFSK A" provides added
>>> advantages for RTTY).
>>>
>>> For most soundcard data modes, you would want to use DATA A submode
>>> in USB.
>>> RTTY normally uses LSB, but RTTY is best used in AFSK A data sub-mode.
>>>
>>> Your data mode software application and the KX3 default settings may be
>>> "fighting each other".
>>>
>>> 73,
>>> Don W3FPR

Elecraft UPS deliveries

W2RMS
Hi everyone!
Sorry if i'm venting, but how come even the tiniest packages from Elecraft take full 7 days to arrive via UPS Ground?
1 pound package via UPS Ground, for almost $17 shouldn't take this long, should it?
I understand this isn't Amazon Prime, but come on, 7 days?

Slava B
W2RMS

Re: Elecraft UPS deliveries

Ian Kahn, KM4IK
Slava,

I understand your frustration.  However, Elecraft has no control of the
package once it is delivered to UPS.  If you request ground shipment, and
UPS says it will take 7 days to get the package to you, they will take the
full seven days.  I've seen cases, on my own packages, where UPS will
actually hold the package at their distribution facility if it gets there
ahead of what they deem is the appropriate delivery schedule, rather than
just delivering the package.  Please don't blame Elecraft for this one, they
can't control it.

73,

-- Ian
Ian Kahn, KM4IK
Roswell, GA  EM74ua
[hidden email]
K3 #281, P3 #688, KPA500 #1468
HRD v5.x/6.0 Test Team

Re: Elecraft UPS deliveries

Larry Lopez
Actually the worst case is this:

You take your package to Staples Friday
after the last pickup.

It sits at Staples until Monday afternoon.
It moves by ground Tuesday -> Friday.

It stops over the moving over the  weekend.

Then completes it's trip the next week starting
on Monday.

*** USPS Ground moves on weekends.

Re: Elecraft UPS deliveries

Did you choose next day, or 2nd day " Delivery" ????

                        OR!

Did  you choose the "Cheapest"  option that was available?

((((73)))) Milverton.

On Wednesday, April 23, 2014 6:41 AM, Slava Baytalskiy <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi everyone!

>Sorry if i'm venting, but how come even the tiniest packages from Elecraft take full 7 days to arrive via UPS Ground?
>1 pound package via UPS Ground, for almost $17 shouldn't take this long, should it?
>I understand this isn't Amazon Prime, but come on, 7 days?
>
>Slava B
>W2RMS

>Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Elecraft UPS deliveries

W2RMS
I chose UPS Ground.
Funny thing is i actually tried every choice in that drop-down.
USPS Priority came out to $999 or some ridiculous number.

On Apr 23, 2014, at 8:00 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Did you choose next day, or 2nd day " Delivery" ????
>
>                         OR!
>
> Did  you choose the "Cheapest"  option that was available?
>
> ((((73)))) Milverton.
>
> On Wednesday, April 23, 2014 6:41 AM, Slava Baytalskiy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi everyone!
> Sorry if i'm venting, but how come even the tiniest packages from Elecraft take full 7 days to arrive via UPS Ground?
> 1 pound package via UPS Ground, for almost $17 shouldn't take this long, should it?
> I understand this isn't Amazon Prime, but come on, 7 days?
>
> Slava B
> W2RMS

Re: Elecraft UPS deliveries

MontyS
5 business days - 7 calendar days, is nominal for coast-to-coast UPS ground.
Fedex the same, although they deliver Saturdays (but not Mondays).  Not much
Elecraft can do besides offer options.

I usually use Priority Mail if available - 2 day delivery usually.
Monty K2DLJ

> Hi everyone!
> Sorry if i'm venting, but how come even the tiniest packages from Elecraft
> take full 7 days to arrive via UPS Ground?
> 1 pound package via UPS Ground, for almost $17 shouldn't take this long,
> should it?
> I understand this isn't Amazon Prime, but come on, 7 days?

Re: Elecraft UPS deliveries

James Rogers
Actually,  I have the 3 Day Select to be both economical and certainly
better than 7 days.  Give that one a try on your next order.

73s Jim, W4ATK
On 4/23/2014 7:03 AM, Slava Baytalskiy wrote:

> I chose UPS Ground.
> Funny thing is i actually tried every choice in that drop-down.
> USPS Priority came out to $999 or some ridiculous number.
>
> On Apr 23, 2014, at 8:00 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> Did you choose next day, or 2nd day " Delivery" ????
>>
>>                          OR!
>>
>> Did  you choose the "Cheapest"  option that was available?
>>
>> ((((73)))) Milverton.
>>
>> On Wednesday, April 23, 2014 6:41 AM, Slava Baytalskiy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi everyone!
>> Sorry if i'm venting, but how come even the tiniest packages from Elecraft take full 7 days to arrive via UPS Ground?
>> 1 pound package via UPS Ground, for almost $17 shouldn't take this long, should it?
>> I understand this isn't Amazon Prime, but come on, 7 days?
>>
>> Slava B
>> W2RMS

Re: Elecraft UPS deliveries

Larry Lopez
USPS ground is 5 days, not 5 business days.
USPS ground moves on the weekends.
UPS ground does not move on the weekends.

UPS drop off at Staples at 5:30PM Friday
doesn't get picked up until 5PM Monday

This isn't a criticism of anyone.
It's an explanation of what has been observed.

I look at it as allowing the transceiver
a short vacation before going to work.

MontyS [via Elecraft] wrote:
5 business days - 7 calendar days, is nominal for coast-to-coast UPS ground.
Fedex the same, although they deliver Saturdays (but not Mondays).  Not much
Elecraft can do besides offer options.

I usually use Priority Mail if available - 2 day delivery usually.
Monty K2DLJ

> Hi everyone!
> Sorry if i'm venting, but how come even the tiniest packages from Elecraft
> take full 7 days to arrive via UPS Ground?
> 1 pound package via UPS Ground, for almost $17 shouldn't take this long,
> should it?
> I understand this isn't Amazon Prime, but come on, 7 days?

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/KX3-and-FLDIGI-tp7587559p7587706.html
To start a new topic under Elecraft, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Elecraft, click here.
NAML

Re: Elecraft UPS deliveries

W2RMS
I guess i'm just spoiled by Amazon Prime and their 2-day no matter what delivery.
Sometimes, a lot of times, i actually get it in one day, depending on where the item is geographically.
Oh well...
This just means i'll have one less distraction when putting up my new Hex Beam this weekend.

Slava B
W2RMS

On Apr 23, 2014, at 8:24 AM, Larry Lopez <[hidden email]> wrote:

> USPS ground is 5 days, not 5 business days.
> USPS ground moves on the weekends.
> UPS ground does not move on the weekends.
>
> UPS drop off at Staples at 5:30PM Friday
> doesn't get picked up until 5PM Monday
>
> This isn't a criticism of anyone.
> It's an explanation of what has been observed.
>
> I look at it as allowing the transceiver
> a short vacation before going to work.
>
> MontyS [via Elecraft] wrote:
>> 5 business days - 7 calendar days, is nominal for coast-to-coast UPS
>> ground.
>> Fedex the same, although they deliver Saturdays (but not Mondays).
>> Not much
>> Elecraft can do besides offer options.
>>
>> I usually use Priority Mail if available - 2 day delivery usually.
>> Monty K2DLJ
>>
>>> Hi everyone!
>>> Sorry if i'm venting, but how come even the tiniest packages from
>> Elecraft
>>> take full 7 days to arrive via UPS Ground?
>>> 1 pound package via UPS Ground, for almost $17 shouldn't take this
>> long,
>>> should it?
>>> I understand this isn't Amazon Prime, but come on, 7 days?

>> </user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=7587706&i=0>

>> </user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=7587706&i=1>

>> <
>> NAML
>> <
http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

Re: Elecraft UPS deliveries

John Cooper
I always get usps they ship to tx in 3 days and its cheaper than ups

Sent from my Cricket smartphone

Re: Elecraft UPS deliveries

Bill-2
I have seen the USPS Priority $999 price when I didn't specify my location
prior to searching for delivery options.  Are you sure that USPS priority
delivers to Staten Island?

Bill  k4yjj

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 8:03 AM, Slava Baytalskiy <[hidden email]>wrote:

> I chose UPS Ground.
> Funny thing is i actually tried every choice in that drop-down.
> USPS Priority came out to $999 or some ridiculous number.
>
> On Apr 23, 2014, at 8:00 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> > Did you choose next day, or 2nd day " Delivery" ????
> >
> >                         OR!
> >
> > Did  you choose the "Cheapest"  option that was available?
> >
> > ((((73)))) Milverton.
> >
> > On Wednesday, April 23, 2014 6:41 AM, Slava Baytalskiy <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi everyone!
> > Sorry if i'm venting, but how come even the tiniest packages from
> Elecraft take full 7 days to arrive via UPS Ground?
> > 1 pound package via UPS Ground, for almost $17 shouldn't take this long,
> should it?
> > I understand this isn't Amazon Prime, but come on, 7 days?
> >
> > Slava B
> > W2RMS

> > Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Elecraft UPS deliveries

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

USPS Priority Mail delivers to any address in the US six days a week
and retail prices are generally 15 to 20% less expensive than UPS Brown
(Ground).

On 4/23/2014 9:35 AM, Bill wrote:

> I have seen the USPS Priority $999 price when I didn't specify my location
> prior to searching for delivery options.  Are you sure that USPS priority
> delivers to Staten Island?
>
> Bill  k4yjj
>

> On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 8:03 AM, Slava Baytalskiy <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> I chose UPS Ground.
>> Funny thing is i actually tried every choice in that drop-down.
>> USPS Priority came out to $999 or some ridiculous number.
>>
>> On Apr 23, 2014, at 8:00 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>>> Did you choose next day, or 2nd day " Delivery" ????
>>>
>>>                          OR!
>>>
>>> Did  you choose the "Cheapest"  option that was available?
>>>
>>> ((((73)))) Milverton.
>>>
>>> On Wednesday, April 23, 2014 6:41 AM, Slava Baytalskiy <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi everyone!
>>> Sorry if i'm venting, but how come even the tiniest packages from
>> Elecraft take full 7 days to arrive via UPS Ground?
>>> 1 pound package via UPS Ground, for almost $17 shouldn't take this long,
>> should it?
>>> I understand this isn't Amazon Prime, but come on, 7 days?
>>>
>>> Slava B
>>> W2RMS

>>> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Elecraft UPS deliveries

Bill Turner
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:          (may be snipped)

On 4/23/2014 5:15 AM, MontyS wrote:
> I usually use Priority Mail if available - 2 day delivery usually.
> Monty K2DLJ

REPLY:

Same here. USPS Priority Mail is my favorite.

The old saying is "Cheaper, faster, better. Pick any two.".  USPS
Priority usually gives you all three.

73, Bill W6WRT