KX3 and KAT500

Phil Hystad-3
I have been experimenting with my KAT500 and the KX3.  Although I do have a K3 and KPA500 configured with the KAT500 using the switched arrangement described by the KE7X KX3 book, the K3 is powered off and the KPA500 is in standby mode during these experiments.

Although the KAT500 user manual says that to start a tune cycle, at least 10 watts needs to be provided.  So, my KX3 is right on the border line and from my experience in this setup, it DOES NOT initiate a tune cycle in the KAT500.

Has anyone else been successful in initiating tune cycles for the KAT500 at 10 watts from the KX3.  My method is to VFO to the desired frequency, make sure that the KAT500 is switched to the right antenna, and then key down for tuning.  Note: I do not make use of the KX3 built in tuner (I am assuming that I should not given I have a low SWR to the KAT500).

Also, given that my KAT500 is totally programmed across the bands for my two antennas, will the KX3 provide enough power (at 10 watts or under) to initiate the memory lookup for a tuned segment (I have programmed each 20 KHz segment on 80 and higher frequency bands using my K3).  Is 5 watts supposed to be sufficient for locating the proper memory stored tuned LC parameters?  I have not found this to be so (but, here I am not positive of the starting conditions and may need to do this test over, it was getting late last night).

Thanks for any help you can be.

73, phil, K7PEH

Re: KX3 and KAT500

ab2tc
Hi Phil,

I routinely use my KAT500 at the end of a 100' LMR400 cable run with my IC7200 (my backyard and to go rig) using the TUNE button which has power fixed at 10W. Actually the measured tune power is more like 8 or 9W. So it's puzzling that your 10W from KX3 will not activate the tuner. Are you sure the KX3 is producing anything close to 10W? If I am not mistaken, with recent firmware changes, the KAT500 should tune all the way down to 5W.

AB2TC - Knut

Phil Hystad-3 wrote
[...]

<snip>

Re: KX3 and KAT500

Dick Dievendorff-4
Phil:

The KAT500 is not a QRP antenna tuner. The SWR bridge's voltage divider is
designed for the 500 to 1500 watt range.  At QRP levels the SWR bridge
voltages (and voltage differences) become quite small.   As reflected power
drops near zero, it becomes difficult to measure small SWR differences. It's
very difficult to find a minimum SWR when the ADC jitter exceeds the change
due to a different tuner setting.

We have a couple of antenna tuners designed for lower power: The KAT100,
KAT3 and KXAT100 are all 110-watt tuners. The T1 and KXAT3 are 20-watt
tuners.

But the KAT500 should be able to select from pre-tuned solutions (what I
have called a "memory recall tune") at any transmit level that is high
enough for the frequency counter to work.  5 watts should be plenty.

A "full search" tune is problematic at low power levels, particularly as
exciters fold back (reduce output power) when asked to deliver their maximum
specified output power into a varying SWR load during tuning.

10 watts from a K3/100 is not difficult.  10 watts from a KX3 into a varying
SWR load is more difficult.

You're correct to bypass the KXAT3 when using an external tuner.

73 de Dick, K6KR