KX3 and KXPA100 in high duty cycle use

Kenneth Christiansen
Hi to the group

I was in the W1AW/0 event from North Dakota and the NDQP event for about 12 operating hours over the last 4 days. My modes were RTTY at 80 watts and PSK31 at 30 watts. I quickly learned when I was getting ready that these modes caused the equipment to heat up too much. I found two 4 inch 12 volt muffin fans in my junk box and wired them in series to slow them down. One was placed to blow on the KX3 and the other on the KXPA100. The contest style operation stayed cool and I might have been able to do it without the fans if I had been careful. Several stations wanted to rag chew and one contact went on for over an hour. The OSC* peaked out at  42C and the PAI peaked out at at about 40C under these extreme conditions. Every other rig I ever used had a fan to operate under these conditions so I think it is reasonable the KX3 and KXPA100 need the fan too.  I felt the KX3 and KXPA100 were rugged and reliable under these extreme conditions. Other people were concerned about the oper
 ation under these conditions earlier on this Elecraft reflector so I am sharing my observations.

I worked 170 stations as W1AW/0 and 27 as W0CZ in the NDQP.

I hope this information helps someone else get on PSK31 or RTTY.

Sent from my iPad

Re: KX3 and KXPA100 in high duty cycle use

fredem
And when you want to use your KX3 barefoot, and discover the temp limitations for your modes, consider that I have a very nice, and very functional heat sink waiting for your call. The results are positive. Double the key down time over stock in extreme trials. In normal operations you can carry on and carry on. Cheers, Fred