KX3 feature request: mAh counter

David Orman
Hi,

A feature that would be very handy (if possible) would be a mAh counter
that could be reset as needed. With many of the batteries we use in the
field (LiFePO4 external or high quality NiMH internal) having relatively
flat discharge curves, monitoring voltage doesn't give you a very good
indication of state of charge.

If there were a counter for mAh usage that could be reset as needed (new
external pack, internal batteries swapped, moving from a PSU to battery) we
could more accurately determine state of charge. Better yet, a configurable
alarm coupled with this would be amazing.

Hopefully this would be possible as we already have current draw available,
as I could see it being very useful for those of us operating portable,
ensuring we always know when to swap out/charge our batteries instead of
seeing the voltage drop relatively suddenly and needing to swap in a
hurry/at a non-ideal time.

Thank you,
David
K5DJO

Re: KX3 feature request: mAh counter

ve3rrd
There are a number of compact devices available that do that and more. I use
the miniature "Watt's Up" watt meter/power analyzer which displays battery
voltage, current, mAh, watts and Wh. It came with APP connectors already
installed on short pigtail wires. It seems to be available from Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.ca/Watts-Meter-Analyzer-WU100-Version/dp/B001B6N2WK
It is powered by the battery it is monitoring and is reset by momentarily
disconnecting it from the battery.
73, AL - VE3RRD

Re: KX3 feature request: mAh counter

This is already on the KX3 firmware task list. We tested the basic idea, and it works very well. Just a bunch of details in the UI to consider.

On Jan 21, 2016, at 5:08 AM, David Orman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A feature that would be very handy (if possible) would be a mAh counter
> that could be reset as needed.

Re: KX3 feature request: mAh counter

GM4JJJ
Excellent news Wayne.

Thanks for keeping us updated!

73 from David GM4JJJ

On Thu,1/21/2016 5:58 AM, Al Duncan wrote:
> There are a number of compact devices available that do that and more. I use
> the miniature "Watt's Up" watt meter/power analyzer which displays battery
> voltage, current, mAh, watts and Wh.

Yes and no. All versions of this product I've seen read current in the
NEGATIVE lead. That's fine of the unit is in series with the battery,
but it will yield VERY WRONG data if inserted in series with equipment
in a station.

At the Visalia DX Convention last spring, I found the Hamsource EZ Meter
II, which reads current in the POSITIVE lead, and yields good data for
individual equipment items in a station.

It does NOT read Ah.

On 22/01/16 14:14, [hidden email] wrote:

>> There are a number of compact devices available that do that and more. I use
>> >the miniature "Watt's Up" watt meter/power analyzer which displays battery
>> >voltage, current, mAh, watts and Wh.
> Yes and no. All versions of this product I've seen read current in the
> NEGATIVE lead. That's fine of the unit is in series with the battery,
> but it will yield VERY WRONG data if inserted in series with equipment
> in a station.
>
> At the Visalia DX Convention last spring, I found the*Hamsource EZ Meter II*, which reads current in the POSITIVE lead, and yields good data for
> individual equipment items in a station.
>
> It does NOT read Ah.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

Thanks for that info Jim.  I'll see if they are available this side of
the puddle, and what other versions there may be.

73.

Dave G0WBX.

Re: KX3 feature request: mAh counter

ve3rrd
Our club group recently bought a number of inexpensive volt/amp digital
meters on eBay to use in an APP distribution box project and we found the
same problem - the current is sensed in the negative/ground lead. So any
other ground connections from the rig end up in parallel with it.
I have batteries in my KX3 but always use a gel cell for power when portable
camping etc.; I also use a buck/boost regulator that supplies a constant
14VDC to the KX3 from the battery, since both ground and hot leads from the
battery are isolated from ground, the Watt's Up works well. Sometimes I add
three 10W solar panels and a charge controller to help keep the battery
topped up.
The Barrie WAX Group website is at:
 http://barrie-wax-group.dyndns.org/
73, AL - VE3RRD