KX3 + fldigi (PSK31)

Kyle Krieg
Hello all. I've looked through the help topics and didn't see my issue
asked or resolved, so I'll ask it here, as I'm a digital newbie...

Using up to date fldigi on a Windows Vista laptop.  Signalink USB modem.
KX3.  Hamlib for rig control within fldigi.

I hook everything up, put the radio in DATA A mode and follow the
instructions on this webpage
https://k4mtx.wordpress.com/2013/04/11/kx3-fldigi-setup/

My questions are

1) I don't see the whole 3khz waterfall.  My filters are wide open, but
there is around 750hz missing towards the bottom of my waterfall.  Is that
normal?  My waterfall ends abruptly at 3khz, so I know it's working and I'm
able to see other stations transmitting and it's decoding on fldigi.

2) When I transmit, I'm not able to adjust my ALC, which in the webpage
above, I should be able to adjust that? It looks like that option is turned
off in Data A mode?

3) Should my transmit signal be spilling out of my yellow bars when I
transmit, or am I over driving my signal?

4) After I get done transmitting (audible tones), it hangs with the TX red
light on and does not automatically go into receive mode.  I have to hit my
XMIT button to return to receive.  Then I can see my waterfall.  I've
checked my macros and they all end with <RX>.  I'm sure there is a setting
I'm not seeing.

Thanks for the responses!

Re: KX3 + fldigi (PSK31)

Don Wilhelm-4
Kyle,

Not answering about the receive waterfall because it appears you have
some other things to clean up first.

The ALC bars are important.  Set the TX audio level correctly so you
have 4 bars solid and the 5th bar flickering on the ALC meter.
Too much audio drive will trigger an audio 'overload' in the KX3, so set
the mic gain to a low level, and set the soundcard line out slider to
about half to start with.  Make certain the SignaLink is plugged for MIC
level, and not for LINE level.
Once you have done that you should be able to transmit.

The KX3 ALC is *not* turned off in DATA A mode - what is turned off is
compression and the TX EQ settings.

As far as not going back to receive, if you are using the PTT from the
SignaLink, make sure the KX3 VOX is off.
Actually, you should be able to operate without the SignaLink PTT output
and use the KX3 VOX instead, just set the KX3 VOX gain at a level that
triggers the VOX reliably.  If you are using the SignaLink PTT, it may
be triggering on noise if you have the 'soundcard' level set too high.
The SignaLink PTT is driven by a simplistic VOX circuit in the SignaLink
which senses audio, and with a high audio level, it cannot differentiate
between a real signal and noise.

Try manual transmit rather than attempting macros until you get it
going.  You are playing with several variables at once, reduce those to
only one or two and add one at a time after you get it working.

On 10/15/2015 11:43 AM, Kyle Krieg wrote:

> Using up to date fldigi on a Windows Vista laptop.  Signalink USB modem.
> KX3.  Hamlib for rig control within fldigi.
>
> I hook everything up, put the radio in DATA A mode and follow the
> instructions on this webpage
> https://k4mtx.wordpress.com/2013/04/11/kx3-fldigi-setup/
>
> My questions are
>
> 2) When I transmit, I'm not able to adjust my ALC, which in the webpage
> above, I should be able to adjust that? It looks like that option is turned
> off in Data A mode?
>
> 3) Should my transmit signal be spilling out of my yellow bars when I
> transmit, or am I over driving my signal?
>
> 4) After I get done transmitting (audible tones), it hangs with the TX red
> light on and does not automatically go into receive mode.  I have to hit my
> XMIT button to return to receive.  Then I can see my waterfall.  I've
> checked my macros and they all end with <RX>.  I'm sure there is a setting
> I'm not seeing.

Re: KX3 + fldigi (PSK31)

Bob McGraw - K4TAX
Item 1. - Go to Config menu then Waterfall menu and then FFT.  Set the
limit values to 100 Hz Lower Limit and 3000 Hz Upper Limit.

Item 2. - As to TX hanging, I suspect the audio level out of the
computer is too high, thus the residual noise from the computer is
tripping the VOX in the SignaLink USB.  I suggest operating the Windows
Sound mixer as such level the SignaLink PTT LED comes on and is stable.
   Usually less than 50%.    From there adjust the TX Level on the
SignaLink to get the proper drive to the radio.  In general the TX Level
on the SignaLink should be about 9 o'clock to 12 o'clock position.  Then
adjust the gain on the radio to get 4 bars indicated on the ALC scale
with the 5th bar flickering.

Item 3. - Basically NO.   Go to Config menu then Waterfall menu and then
Transmit and set the Transmit Signal level to about 0.25 to 0.5.  If you
see issues there, then likely audio to the radio is too high or the
computer sound card is being over driven.

Item 4. - Also open the Rig Control panel and make sure that both PTT
Tone on Right Channel is not checked and that Use Separate Serial Port
for PTT is not checked.  The SignaLink will supply a PTT command to the
radio from the internal VOX operation.  Also be sure VOX on the radio is
off.

73
Bob, K4TAX

On 10/15/2015 10:43 AM, Kyle Krieg wrote:

> Hello all. I've looked through the help topics and didn't see my issue
> asked or resolved, so I'll ask it here, as I'm a digital newbie...
>
> Using up to date fldigi on a Windows Vista laptop.  Signalink USB modem.
> KX3.  Hamlib for rig control within fldigi.
>
> I hook everything up, put the radio in DATA A mode and follow the
> instructions on this webpage
> https://k4mtx.wordpress.com/2013/04/11/kx3-fldigi-setup/
>
> My questions are
>
> 1) I don't see the whole 3khz waterfall.  My filters are wide open, but
> there is around 750hz missing towards the bottom of my waterfall.  Is that
> normal?  My waterfall ends abruptly at 3khz, so I know it's working and I'm
> able to see other stations transmitting and it's decoding on fldigi.
>
> 2) When I transmit, I'm not able to adjust my ALC, which in the webpage
> above, I should be able to adjust that? It looks like that option is turned
> off in Data A mode?
>
> 3) Should my transmit signal be spilling out of my yellow bars when I
> transmit, or am I over driving my signal?
>
> 4) After I get done transmitting (audible tones), it hangs with the TX red
> light on and does not automatically go into receive mode.  I have to hit my
> XMIT button to return to receive.  Then I can see my waterfall.  I've
> checked my macros and they all end with <RX>.  I'm sure there is a setting
> I'm not seeing.

Re: KX3 + fldigi (PSK31)

Kyle Krieg
Don,

Thanks for the reply!

Your correct about the ALC.  I didn't have my TX level set high enough on
my signalink modem.  Once I turned that up, 4 bars, with the 5th flashing
was present, so I think I'm good with that item.  Thanks!!!

Instead of typing an email for the remaining items, I just made a video and
put it up on youtube.  It will show the KX3 TX red light still being lit
after fldigi is done sending along with the waterfall issue I'm seeing with
no filters applied.  Maybe seeing this vs reading will spark some solutions.

https://youtu.be/qfUnyQsrgzM

Kyle

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 1:09 PM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Kyle,
>
> Not answering about the receive waterfall because it appears you have some
> other things to clean up first.
>
> The ALC bars are important.  Set the TX audio level correctly so you have
> 4 bars solid and the 5th bar flickering on the ALC meter.
> Too much audio drive will trigger an audio 'overload' in the KX3, so set
> the mic gain to a low level, and set the soundcard line out slider to about
> half to start with.  Make certain the SignaLink is plugged for MIC level,
> and not for LINE level.
> Once you have done that you should be able to transmit.
>
> The KX3 ALC is *not* turned off in DATA A mode - what is turned off is
> compression and the TX EQ settings.
>
> As far as not going back to receive, if you are using the PTT from the
> SignaLink, make sure the KX3 VOX is off.
> Actually, you should be able to operate without the SignaLink PTT output
> and use the KX3 VOX instead, just set the KX3 VOX gain at a level that
> triggers the VOX reliably.  If you are using the SignaLink PTT, it may be
> triggering on noise if you have the 'soundcard' level set too high.  The
> SignaLink PTT is driven by a simplistic VOX circuit in the SignaLink which
> senses audio, and with a high audio level, it cannot differentiate between
> a real signal and noise.
>
> Try manual transmit rather than attempting macros until you get it going.
> You are playing with several variables at once, reduce those to only one or
> two and add one at a time after you get it working.

> On 10/15/2015 11:43 AM, Kyle Krieg wrote:
>
>> Using up to date fldigi on a Windows Vista laptop.  Signalink USB modem.
>> KX3.  Hamlib for rig control within fldigi.
>>
>> I hook everything up, put the radio in DATA A mode and follow the
>> instructions on this webpage
>> https://k4mtx.wordpress.com/2013/04/11/kx3-fldigi-setup/
>>
>> My questions are
>>
>> 2) When I transmit, I'm not able to adjust my ALC, which in the webpage
>> above, I should be able to adjust that? It looks like that option is
>> turned
>> off in Data A mode?
>>
>> 3) Should my transmit signal be spilling out of my yellow bars when I
>> transmit, or am I over driving my signal?
>>
>> 4) After I get done transmitting (audible tones), it hangs with the TX red
>> light on and does not automatically go into receive mode.  I have to hit
>> my
>> XMIT button to return to receive.  Then I can see my waterfall.  I've
>> checked my macros and they all end with <RX>.  I'm sure there is a setting
>> I'm not seeing.

Re: KX3 + fldigi (PSK31)

Kyle Krieg
Bob,

Thanks for you reply.  Here are my mixed results.  Some of these items are
solved.

1) My lower limit was set to 0, so I bumped it up to 100hz.  It removed a
small sliver of waterfall on the left hand side, but kept the large black
gap between 0 and ~600hz.  Not sure if that is the way fldigi just displays
waterfalls and that portion of the sideband...

2) Fixed!  I think with your and Don's help, I got this one solved.  Thanks
for your input.

3) I changed my "transmit signal" under Waterfall -> Display to .05, which
is the lowest it will go before 0.  It was set at .10, so one tick to the
left and my transmit waterfall waveform still gets pushed outside the red
waterfall selector.  I adjusted my output level in Windows for my Signalink
down to 25% with still no change in waveform on the waterfall.  Did the
same test on my signalink TX

4) This one is solved.  Your comment about PPT tone and serial port PPT got
me looking at my rig control.  I use hamlib as my rig control, and under
that menu, PPT via Hamlib command was checked. I uncheck that box and now
the radio returns to receive mode after transmitting!  Resolved!!!

Re: KX3 + fldigi (PSK31)

Kyle,

I watched the video.

For the lack of waterfall, check the Low Cut on your KX3.  I suspect it
is set to about 600 Hz - meaning that you are not getting audio response
out of the KX3 below that frequency.

For the problem of not going back into receive, it could be either the
SignaLink holding PTT active (the most likely) or a problem with the KX3
or the PTT cable.
After your next trial, unplug the PTT cable from the SignaLink and see
if the KX3 goes back to receive - if so, the SignaLink has a problem
with its PTT output.

I do not have details on the SignaLink cables for the KX3.  Does the
SignaLink PTT signal come in on the MIC jack?  or does it use the ACC2 GPIO?
If it uses the ACC2 GPIO, do you have the KX3 menu ACC2 GPIO parameter
set for PTT?