KX3 freq stability module request

Mike Studer
I for one would much rather have a stable frequency in my KX3 than a
useless 2m rig.
I don't have the time to cook/freeze my radio to 'fix' it.
I would think that there would be a big demand for portable digital
modes.  I can work people using my phone for goodness sake.
Is there any possibility that a stable frequency module will come out?
I am trying to decide if I should keep the radio.
Mike

Re: KX3 freq stability module request

David Pratt
It only takes less than an hour, Mike. Surely you could spend the time
going through the procedure rather than spending $s on such a module
even if it will ever be available.

My KX3 does not shift more than 2-4 Hz  from 10C to 50C. It's well worth
going through the procedure.

73 de David G4DMP

In a recent message, Mike Studer <[hidden email]> writes

--
 + - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - +
 | David M Pratt, Kippax, Leeds.   |

Re: KX3 freq stability module request

mzilmer
Comment:
The K3EXREF for the K3 is locked to a 10 MHz reference (usually a Rb clock or GPS timing receiver).  Even with this external frequency reference, the K3's stated accuracy is "within 2 Hz".

I ran the temperature compensation procedure on the KX3, and it's about the same accuracy as the K3 with the external reference.  At least I can't measure the difference using a freq counter with that same 10 Mhz GPSDO reference input.

The procedure is easy to follow and takes only about one hour to perform.

Matt Zilmer, W6NIA
Semper Gumby

It only takes less than an hour, Mike. Surely you could spend the time going through the procedure rather than spending $s on such a module even if it will ever be available.

My KX3 does not shift more than 2-4 Hz  from 10C to 50C. It's well worth going through the procedure.

73 de David G4DMP

In a recent message, Mike Studer <[hidden email]> writes
>I don't have the time to cook/freeze my radio to 'fix' it.
>I would think that there would be a big demand for portable digital
>modes.  I can work people using my phone for goodness sake.
>Is there any possibility that a stable frequency module will come out?
>I am trying to decide if I should keep the radio.

--
 + - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - +
 | David M Pratt, Kippax, Leeds.   |
 | Website: http://www.g4dmp.co.uk |
 + - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - +

Re: KX3 freq stability module request

Mike Studer

Thank you all for the excellent information.  I will work on it.
Mike

On 5/28/2013 10:49 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Comment:
> The K3EXREF for the K3 is locked to a 10 MHz reference (usually a Rb clock or GPS timing receiver).  Even with this external frequency reference, the K3's stated accuracy is "within 2 Hz".
>
> I ran the temperature compensation procedure on the KX3, and it's about the same accuracy as the K3 with the external reference.  At least I can't measure the difference using a freq counter with that same 10 Mhz GPSDO reference input.
>
> The procedure is easy to follow and takes only about one hour to perform.
>
> Matt Zilmer, W6NIA
> Semper Gumby

Bob-270
I'm still looking at the KX3 and have not made the choice between instant
gratification or
delayed when I turn it on and it works from building the kit.  I do enjoy kits,
my 1st a Boy
Scout Explorer receiver kit from the 50's.

Mike's comment seems to imply that he has a drift issue and is a consideration
in possibly
selling off his KX3.

Dave's indicates that there is a solution.  I have downloaded the assembly and
operators
manual and do not see it.   Have I missed something??

Assuming that there are temperature calibrations involved leads to a 2nd
question. Is this
procedure part of the factory built units?   If so this could be the value added
item that trips
the kit verses factory equation towards the factory version.

Anyone know for sure....

73,
Bob
K2TK   ex KN2TKR (1956) & K2TKR

On 5/28/2013 1:36 PM, David G4DMP wrote:

> It only takes less than an hour, Mike. Surely you could spend the time
> going through the procedure rather than spending $s on such a module
> even if it will ever be available.
>
> My KX3 does not shift more than 2-4 Hz  from 10C to 50C. It's well worth
> going through the procedure.
>
> 73 de David G4DMP
>
> In a recent message, Mike Studer <[hidden email]> writes
>> I don't have the time to cook/freeze my radio to 'fix' it.
>> I would think that there would be a big demand for portable digital
>> modes.  I can work people using my phone for goodness sake.
>> Is there any possibility that a stable frequency module will come out?
>> I am trying to decide if I should keep the radio.

Re: KX3 freq stability module request

Brendon Whateley
No the temperature calibration is not done at the factory.  You basically put the radio in the fridge/freezer and then go through  process with an accurate reference signal to correct for drift as the temperature comes up.  It is only needed if you have need of very tight frequency control -- as is required by some digital modes.

On this page:
http://www.elecraft.com/KX3/kx3_app_notes.htm
near the bottom, you can see the application note.

- Brendon
KK6AYI

On May 28, 2013, at 1:10 PM, Bob wrote:

> Assuming that there are temperature calibrations involved leads to a 2nd question. Is this
> procedure part of the factory built units?   If so this could be the value added item that trips
> the kit verses factory equation towards the factory version.

Re: KX3 freq stability module request

Richard-3
You have been thinking on this for a bit--instant gratification is out
of the question <grin>.

Some on this group are picking nits off nits.  Many are working at the
extremes of the hobby and advancing the state of the art.  The extreme
issues are important to what they do, but not to most of us.  We do get
to take advantage of their advances because Elecraft pays attention to
advancements.  If you are looking for solutions to such issues in the
manual, you are not operating in the cutting edge of advancement.

You could look elsewhere for a better radio, but what other company
listens the way Elecraft listens, and incorporates advancements into
already offered and sold radios the way this company does?

If cutting edge tinkering is interesting to you, why buy a built radio?

Rich
NU6T

On 5/28/2013 1:10 PM, Bob wrote:

> I'm still looking at the KX3 and have not made the choice between
> instant gratification or
> delayed when I turn it on and it works from building the kit.  I do
> enjoy kits, my 1st a Boy
> Scout Explorer receiver kit from the 50's.
>
> Mike's comment seems to imply that he has a drift issue and is a
> consideration in possibly
> selling off his KX3.
>
> Dave's indicates that there is a solution.  I have downloaded the
> assembly and operators
> manual and do not see it.   Have I missed something??
>
> Assuming that there are temperature calibrations involved leads to a
> 2nd question. Is this
> procedure part of the factory built units?   If so this could be the
> value added item that trips
> the kit verses factory equation towards the factory version.
>
> Anyone know for sure....
>
> 73,
> Bob
> K2TK   ex KN2TKR (1956) & K2TKR
>

> On 5/28/2013 1:36 PM, David G4DMP wrote:
>> It only takes less than an hour, Mike. Surely you could spend the time
>> going through the procedure rather than spending $s on such a module
>> even if it will ever be available.
>>
>> My KX3 does not shift more than 2-4 Hz  from 10C to 50C. It's well worth
>> going through the procedure.
>>
>> 73 de David G4DMP
>>
>> In a recent message, Mike Studer <[hidden email]> writes
>>> I don't have the time to cook/freeze my radio to 'fix' it.
>>> I would think that there would be a big demand for portable digital
>>> modes.  I can work people using my phone for goodness sake.
>>> Is there any possibility that a stable frequency module will come out?
>>> I am trying to decide if I should keep the radio.

Re: KX3 freq stability module request

N0AZZ
The KX3 has no problems running the JT modes and all I used was the Elecraft
XG50 kit I built for calibration. Mine was a factory built unit I want the 8
hrs. of burn-in time after built then all calibrations rechecked before it's
shipped.

73,
Fred/N0AZZ

No the temperature calibration is not done at the factory.  You basically
put the radio in the fridge/freezer and then go through  process with an
accurate reference signal to correct for drift as the temperature comes up.
It is only needed if you have need of very tight frequency control -- as is
required by some digital modes.

On this page:
http://www.elecraft.com/KX3/kx3_app_notes.htm
near the bottom, you can see the application note.

- Brendon
KK6AYI

On May 28, 2013, at 1:10 PM, Bob wrote:

> Assuming that there are temperature calibrations involved leads to a 2nd
question. Is this
> procedure part of the factory built units?   If so this could be the value
added item that trips
> the kit verses factory equation towards the factory version.

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: KX3 freq stability module request

Ben Hall
On 5/28/2013 4:07 PM, Rich wrote:
> You could look elsewhere for a better radio, but what other company
> listens the way Elecraft listens, and incorporates advancements into
> already offered and sold radios the way this company does?

In my opinion, very few.  It's one of the reasons why there is a KX3 to
my right and not something else...  :)

Side Note:  I plan to do the extended temp compensation on the KX3 this
weekend.  I do need to warn the XYL that there will be a radio in the
fridge for a bit.  ;)

thanks much and 73,
ben, kd5byb

Re: KX3 freq stability module request

John Hendricks-2
Just be careful with the heat gun or hair dryer. The clear front panel can be distorted by too much heat. My experience :(!

John Hendricks K7JLT

On May 29, 2013, at 18:06, Ben Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5/28/2013 4:07 PM, Rich wrote:
>> You could look elsewhere for a better radio, but what other company
>> listens the way Elecraft listens, and incorporates advancements into
>> already offered and sold radios the way this company does?
>
> In my opinion, very few.  It's one of the reasons why there is a KX3 to my right and not something else...  :)
>
> Side Note:  I plan to do the extended temp compensation on the KX3 this weekend.  I do need to warn the XYL that there will be a radio in the fridge for a bit.  ;)
>
> thanks much and 73,
> ben, kd5byb

Re: KX3 freq stability module request

Bob-270
I originally posted this.   I want to thank all that replied both on and off the
reflector

Confession time, I completely missed the App note on this.  It will not be on my
"need" list
but surely a "want" and will be done.

My K3 has the external reference option with a GPSDO. It was not a "need"
either but
another "want" and an interesting project.    Using it as a signal source (power
at minimum)
at least now I have "use" for that effort.

Once agn TNX!

73,
Bob
K2TK  ex KN2TKR (1956) & K2TKR

On 5/28/2013 4:10 PM, Bob wrote:

> I'm still looking at the KX3 and have not made the choice between instant
> gratification or
> delayed when I turn it on and it works from building the kit.  I do enjoy
> kits, my 1st a Boy
> Scout Explorer receiver kit from the 50's.
>
> Mike's comment seems to imply that he has a drift issue and is a consideration
> in possibly
> selling off his KX3.
>
> Dave's indicates that there is a solution.  I have downloaded the assembly and
> operators
> manual and do not see it.   Have I missed something??
>
> Assuming that there are temperature calibrations involved leads to a 2nd
> question. Is this
> procedure part of the factory built units?   If so this could be the value
> added item that trips
> the kit verses factory equation towards the factory version.
>
> Anyone know for sure....
>
> 73,
> Bob
> K2TK   ex KN2TKR (1956) & K2TKR

Re: KX3 freq stability module request

Chip Stratton
Bob -

You can use the Gpsdo directly as a signal source. It should have a 5th
harmonic that will work well with the temp cal procedure.

Chip
AE5KA

On Thursday, May 30, 2013, Bob wrote:

> I originally posted this.   I want to thank all that replied both on and
> off the reflector
>
> Confession time, I completely missed the App note on this.  It will not be
> on my "need" list
> but surely a "want" and will be done.
>
> My K3 has the external reference option with a GPSDO. It was not a "need"
>  either but
> another "want" and an interesting project.    Using it as a signal source
> (power at minimum)
> at least now I have "use" for that effort.

Re: KX3 freq stability module request

Matt Zilmer
If it's a square wave output it'll be quite usable.  Some GPSDOs put
out a fairly clean sine wave but there still may be some harmonics.
Not sure of amplitude, but still above 0 dBm most likely.

73,
matt W6NIA

On Thu, 30 May 2013 16:37:36 -0500, you wrote:

>Bob -
>
>You can use the Gpsdo directly as a signal source. It should have a 5th
>harmonic that will work well with the temp cal procedure.
>
>Chip
>AE5KA
>
>On Thursday, May 30, 2013, Bob wrote:
>
>> I originally posted this.   I want to thank all that replied both on and
>> off the reflector
>>
>> Confession time, I completely missed the App note on this.  It will not be
>> on my "need" list
>> but surely a "want" and will be done.
>>
>> My K3 has the external reference option with a GPSDO. It was not a "need"
>>  either but
>> another "want" and an interesting project.    Using it as a signal source
>> (power at minimum)
>> at least now I have "use" for that effort.

Re: KX3 freq stability module request

Bruce Beford-2
This is exactly what I did. I used the output of my Trimble Thunderbolt,
through about 60 dB of attenuation, as the signal source for the temp
stability calibration. Worked great.

Bruce
N1RX