KX3 headset recommendation

Josh Lehan
Hi there.  Any particular model of headset, to recommend for use with
the KX3?

Right now, I'm using a Plantronics ".Audio 500" headset, which is nice
because it has stereo RX (good for the KX3's audio effects) and it has
convenient small analog connectors (perfectly compatible with the KX3).

However, there's 2 drawbacks:

1) Not enough gain.  I have the KX3 set to its maximum MIC gain of 40.
Even with this, I'm not getting full voice modulation, at a comfortable
speaking voice.  I have to practically swallow the microphone, and then
yell, in order to put out the full wattage.  I have trouble lighting up
all 5 bars of the ALC.  Increasing the CMP level helps, but isn't a
complete solution.  I have CMP set to 20 now, having had it at the
maximum of 30 before, but backed it down to get a little better sound
quality.

I know the headset microphone is sensitive and works well, because when
used with the computer, it provides full volume at default settings, I
even have to dial it down a bit to avoid saturation.  I wonder what's
different about the KX3 than a typical computer sound card, from the
headset's point of view?  Perhaps the wrong impedance?

Sidetone is good, though, at level of 10.  RX audio quality is great.  I
noticed the recent software upgrade increased the maximum allowed
sidetone volume.  I wonder if it's possible to increase the maximum
allowed MIC gain similarly in software?  Maybe have an "overdrive"
feature, that shifts the bits left, so that even when the hardware is
maxed out, software can still amplify it some more, at the cost of
fidelity?  Some cellphones have this, and it really helps to be heard.

I tried both possible settings of MIC BIAS in the menu.  Having "None"
seemed to help a little, but it didn't make much of an overall difference.

2) No PTT button.  I was hoping to use my CW straight key as PTT, but no
such luck (I just sent another email about this).  If I get another
headset, I would like to get one with a button in the cord, that would
be electrically compatible with what the KX3 expects.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Josh
K6JSH

Re: KX3 headset recommendation

Mickey Baker
Hi, Josh,

I can't help with your current mic woes, but I use a $50 Yamaha CM500 headset with good results. MIC BIAS on, of course, for the electret mic.

73,

Mickey N4MB

On Oct 20, 2012, at 10:24 PM, Josh Lehan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi there.  Any particular model of headset, to recommend for use with
> the KX3?
>
> Right now, I'm using a Plantronics ".Audio 500" headset, which is nice
> because it has stereo RX (good for the KX3's audio effects) and it has
> convenient small analog connectors (perfectly compatible with the KX3).
>
> However, there's 2 drawbacks:
>
> 1) Not enough gain.  I have the KX3 set to its maximum MIC gain of 40.
> Even with this, I'm not getting full voice modulation, at a comfortable
> speaking voice.  I have to practically swallow the microphone, and then
> yell, in order to put out the full wattage.  I have trouble lighting up
> all 5 bars of the ALC.  Increasing the CMP level helps, but isn't a
> complete solution.  I have CMP set to 20 now, having had it at the
> maximum of 30 before, but backed it down to get a little better sound
> quality.
>
> I know the headset microphone is sensitive and works well, because when
> used with the computer, it provides full volume at default settings, I
> even have to dial it down a bit to avoid saturation.  I wonder what's
> different about the KX3 than a typical computer sound card, from the
> headset's point of view?  Perhaps the wrong impedance?
>
> Sidetone is good, though, at level of 10.  RX audio quality is great.  I
> noticed the recent software upgrade increased the maximum allowed
> sidetone volume.  I wonder if it's possible to increase the maximum
> allowed MIC gain similarly in software?  Maybe have an "overdrive"
> feature, that shifts the bits left, so that even when the hardware is
> maxed out, software can still amplify it some more, at the cost of
> fidelity?  Some cellphones have this, and it really helps to be heard.
>
> I tried both possible settings of MIC BIAS in the menu.  Having "None"
> seemed to help a little, but it didn't make much of an overall difference.
>
> 2) No PTT button.  I was hoping to use my CW straight key as PTT, but no
> such luck (I just sent another email about this).  If I get another
> headset, I would like to get one with a button in the cord, that would
> be electrically compatible with what the KX3 expects.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Josh
> K6JSH

Re: KX3 headset recommendation

Barry N1EU
The Plantronics headset I tried performed poorly.

What worked quite well for me was a Yamaha CM-500 and a Microsoft LifeChat LX-2000.

I don't think you'll find any off-the-shelf headset with a compatible PTT switch.  You can use the TX button on the front of the rig or VOX - both these headsets work well on VOX.

73/GL,
Barry N1EU

Re: KX3 headset recommendation

ny4g
Same deal here - happy with the Yamaha CM500

73 & GL

Ariel NY4G

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 21, 2012, at 7:15 AM, "Barry N1EU" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The Plantronics headset I tried performed poorly.
>
> What worked quite well for me was a Yamaha CM-500 and a Microsoft LifeChat
> LX-2000.
>
> I don't think you'll find any off-the-shelf headset with a compatible PTT
> switch.  You can use the TX button on the front of the rig or VOX - both
> these headsets work well on VOX.
>
> 73/GL,
> Barry N1EU

Re: KX3 headset recommendation

Rick Stealey

When you get your CM500 don't make the mistake I did - don't listen to music with them.
On the other hand to see just how restricted the audio really is with them it is a good
test.  In a word - awful!  They are quite comfortable though.

Rick  K2XT

Re: KX3 headset recommendation

Keith Heimbold
I am using a Yamaha HPE100 microphone on my K3 with great results. I like how it sounds and always seems to provide ample punch. I want to get another one for the KX3.

Keith
AG6AZ

Sent from my iPhone please excuse typos

On Oct 21, 2012, at 6:07 AM, "Rick Stealey" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When you get your CM500 don't make the mistake I did - don't listen to music with them.
> On the other hand to see just how restricted the audio really is with them it is a good
> test.  In a word - awful!  They are quite comfortable though.
>
> Rick  K2XT

Re: KX3 headset recommendation

Christian AK4VV
On Oct 21, 2012, at 7:37, Barry N1EU <[hidden email]> wrote:

I don't think you'll find any off-the-shelf headset with a compatible PTT
switch.  You can use the TX button on the front of the rig or VOX - both
these headsets work well on VOX.

Depends on what nature decided to do around you :).. I used this one with
the ACC2 adapter in the cable kit for the KX3 with great success on a
recent SOTA outing.  Straight plug in, no hacking up of the connector
needed.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/icomptt.php

I strapped the velcro around my left hand so I could work the log with my
right hand.  Worked very well and no fumbling for the PTT.  Made life very
convenient and gave me space to spread out on the rock ledge to get
"comfortable".

Aircraft Spruce has a number of other PTTs if you fancy something else btw.

73,
Christian
AK4VV

Re: KX3 headset recommendation

KF5TEU
I ordered the aircraftsp
What headset/mic/adapter were you using ?
Thanks for the info.ruce PTT but I want to be sure I understand...you attached this PTT to the ACC2 port on the KX3 and youyou had a microphone/headset pluged into where exactly, mic in mic, headset in Phones or what ?
Like others I'm looking for a wireless solution which may just be this PTT plus a musician style headset with mic and a pass-through wireless receiver/tx on the back of the KX3 that has a built in VOX to allow it to send and receive based on input either direction. No models yet but looking.

Re: KX3 headset recommendation

Fred Smith-2
Have a look at the new (August) QST on a Bluetooth headset a homebrew, very
nice one.

73,
Fred/N0AZZ
K3 Ser # 6730--KX3 # 2573--K2/100 # 6470-KAT100
P3/SVGA--KPA500--KAT500--W2

What headset/mic/adapter were you using ?
Thanks for the info.ruce PTT but I want to be sure I understand...you
attached this PTT to the ACC2 port on the KX3 and youyou had a
microphone/headset pluged into where exactly, mic in mic, headset in Phones
or what ?
Like others I'm looking for a wireless solution which may just be this PTT
plus a musician style headset with mic and a pass-through wireless
receiver/tx on the back of the KX3 that has a built in VOX to allow it to
send and receive based on input either direction. No models yet but looking.

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: KX3 headset recommendation

Dominic Baines-3
The cheapest option (that works) is a PC headset from logitech.

I have used mine without issue since day one.

http://m1kta-qrp.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/kx3-headset.html

72

Dom
M1KTA

On 12/07/13 10:20, Fred Smith wrote:

> Have a look at the new (August) QST on a Bluetooth headset a homebrew, very
> nice one.
>

> 73,
> Fred/N0AZZ
> K3 Ser # 6730--KX3 # 2573--K2/100 # 6470-KAT100
> P3/SVGA--KPA500--KAT500--W2

paulb

Interesting to see this thread..
the K2 and K3 owned here have bags of
audio transmit gain. This allows the heavy
bass vowel sounds to be rolled off below about
300 hz. The KX3 seems to be slightly lacking in
TX audio; the not-so-great fix here has been to
construct a very small outboard single transistor
mic amp. It is powered from a small 9 volt battery.

I have tried using the mic bias directly to drive the
mic preamp but got into rf feedback troubles.

cheers

Paul
zl1ajy

Re: KX3 headset recommendation

Christian AK4VV
You need the ACC2 breakout cable from Elecraft. The PTT switch from
Aircraft Spruce just plugs straight into that. You need to configure the
menu item to say you want the contact closure to enable PTT.

73,
Christian
AK4VV
On Jul 12, 2013 3:48 AM, "KF5TEU" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I ordered the aircraftsp
> What headset/mic/adapter were you using ?
> Thanks for the info.ruce PTT but I want to be sure I understand...you
> attached this PTT to the ACC2 port on the KX3 and youyou had a
> microphone/headset pluged into where exactly, mic in mic, headset in Phones
> or what ?
> Like others I'm looking for a wireless solution which may just be this PTT
> plus a musician style headset with mic and a pass-through wireless
> receiver/tx on the back of the KX3 that has a built in VOX to allow it to
> send and receive based on input either direction. No models yet but
> looking.

Re: KX3 headset recommendation

Richard E Neese
On 7/13/2013 10:28 AM, Christian AK4VV wrote:
> You need the ACC2 breakout cable from Elecraft. The PTT switch from
> Aircraft Spruce just plugs straight into that. You need to configure the
> menu item to say you want the contact closure to enable PTT.
you dont need the breakout cable to put a foot/hand ptt switch. you need
a mono 2.5 mm headphone jack. and you need to fo into the menu and put
the acc2 port into ptt_low.

but if you plan to use a ptt and the amp then you need the breakout cable

*KX3-PCKT Accessory Cable Set*

    The KX3-PCKT cable set interfaces between the Elecraft KX3 and
    personal computers, and provides convenient connection to an
    external foot switch and RF power amplifier./KX3-PCKT Instructions/
    <http://www.elecraft.com/manual/E740169%20KX3-PCKT%20Cable%20Set%20Instructions%20Rev%200.pdf>

    19.95

is well woth the money . yoou get all the needed cabl for the kx3.

> 73,
> Christian
> AK4VV
> On Jul 12, 2013 3:48 AM, "KF5TEU" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I ordered the aircraftsp
>> What headset/mic/adapter were you using ?
>> Thanks for the info.ruce PTT but I want to be sure I understand...you
>> attached this PTT to the ACC2 port on the KX3 and youyou had a
>> microphone/headset pluged into where exactly, mic in mic, headset in Phones
>> or what ?
>> Like others I'm looking for a wireless solution which may just be this PTT
>> plus a musician style headset with mic and a pass-through wireless
>> receiver/tx on the back of the KX3 that has a built in VOX to allow it to
>> send and receive based on input either direction. No models yet but
>> looking.

RE: Re: KX3 headset recommendation

KF5TEU
O.K.
I have the KPA100 ordered and the 500 hust got here so I will need the cable and I have it, came with my order as I addedvit in.
I have the Heil headset as well for base use.
So the PTT switch plugs into the ACC2 cable, that into ACC2 jack.
Where are you using the mono 2.5mm headphone mono jack ?
I have stereo headphones plugged into Phones.

What are using for a mic, the little condenser type plugged directly into the Nic hack or a mic on the headsetvor what ?
When menu is set to PTT kow , VOX isvoff then whenvyou push PTT does the mic become open for TX  that iplugged in to Mic ?
This means it has to be a buttonless nic ( no PTT ) so can I use a headset microphone like on standard cell phone or even Icom style ( different plug but maybe gain is high enough ) and just plug it's line into Mic ?

73

kF5TEU

Bill

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/KX3-headset-recommendation-tp7564383p7576670.html
To unsubscribe from KX3 headset recommendation, click here.
NAML

On 7/13/2013 10:17 PM, KF5TEU wrote:
> O.K.
> I have the KPA100 ordered and the 500 hust got here so I will need the cable and I have it, came with my order as I addedvit in.
> I have the Heil headset as well for base use.
> So the PTT switch plugs into the ACC2 cable, that into ACC2 jack.
yes
> Where are you using the mono 2.5mm headphone mono jack ?
the ptt switch/hand button is a acc2 is a 2.5 mm jack mono it you dont
have the breakout cable. if you have the breakout cable then its a 3.5mm
mono jack

> I have stereo headphones plugged into Phones.
>
> What are using for a mic, the little condenser type plugged directly into the Nic hack or a mic on the headsetvor what ?
> When menu is set to PTT kow , VOX isvoff then whenvyou push PTT does the mic become open for TX  that iplugged in to Mic ?
> This means it has to be a buttonless nic ( no PTT ) so can I use a headset microphone like on standard cell phone or even Icom style ( different plug but maybe gain is high enough ) and just plug it's line into Mic ?

no you can use a standard desktop mic or a headset with a mic or a
laptop mini mic. with a standard 3.5mm jack on it.
you just have to change the mic bias setting in the menu to on, for this
type of mic to work.