KX3 internal microphone

David Pratt
Had any thought been given to including an internal electret microphone
in the KX3?  Those mics are so small and an aperture for it could be
very tiny that I am surprised the KX3 does not have one.  The internal
mic could be selected by a menu option. With the attachable KXPD3 paddle
the KX3 would then be a self-contained rig for all modes without the
need for an external microphone. An internal microphone would work very
well using VOX.

73 de David G4DMP

--
 + - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - +
 | David M Pratt, Kippax, Leeds.   |

Re: KX3 internal microphone

DaveL  G3TJP
That's a darned good idea, David.

I'm looking at a camera right now and its mic orifice is only about half a
mm in diameter and looking at the size of the camera, its whizzy in and out
lens, battery et al, the mic must be very small indeed.

Maybe a $20 retro-fit kit? Mic, wiring and a tiny drillbit Hi!

73 Dave G3TJP

Re: KX3 internal microphone

tnnyswy
Are we buying a HF QRP Radio that has just about everything but the kitchen sink, not to mention the option

of having 2 Meter module inside?

OR! Do we want a cell phone?

((((73)))) Milverton.

>________________________________

Re: KX3 internal microphone

Richard-3
This is a good idea.  I have my KX3 in a camera flash bag.  Everything I need fits into that bag-- except the hand mic.  An internal mic would make it ' grab-n-go'.

Rich
NU6T

Dave Lankshear <[hidden email]> wrote:

>That's a darned good idea, David.
>

>I'm looking at a camera right now and its mic orifice is only about half a
>mm in diameter and looking at the size of the camera, its whizzy in and out
>lens, battery et al, the mic must be very small indeed.
>

>Maybe a $20 retro-fit kit? Mic, wiring and a tiny drillbit Hi!
>

>73 Dave G3TJP

Re: KX3 internal microphone

Rich Ardolino

I don't have a KX3 (yet), but whenever I do acquire one it will be a lot more capable and fun  than any cell phone....even if it doesn't have an internal mic (good idea!) Cell phones are just tools, not hobby/emergency com items.....both have legitimate purposes.

Also, I wonder if there is enough room within the KX3 to include cell phone circuits??  Hmmmm?

Flame suit on................

Rich  K2CPE

K2 #1102

Are we buying a HF QRP Radio that has just about everything but the kitchen sink, not to mention the option

of having 2 Meter module inside?

OR! Do we want a cell phone?

((((73)))) Milverton.

>________________________________

Re: KX3 internal microphone

N0AZZ
I have a Cell Phone and my KX3 needs nothing for the time being it continues
to amaze me on a daily basis after 5 mo, and I'm mostly a DXer!!

73,
Fred/N0AZZ
K3 Ser #'s 6730/5299--KX3 # 2573--K2/100--KAT100
P3/SVGA--KPA500--KAT500--W2

Are we buying a HF QRP Radio that has just about everything but the kitchen
sink, not to mention the option

of having 2 Meter module inside?

OR! Do we want a cell phone?

((((73)))) Milverton.

>________________________________

-----
No virus found in this message.

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: KX3 internal microphone

DaveL  G3TJP

If you give it more thought, with an internal mic, it would remove the need
for adding a mic to the rucksack when out /P, for which the KX3 is designed.
Have you read Wayne's 4lb challenge?

If you want to sit at home with a mic in hand, or a desktop mic weighing as
much as the KX3 and natter to your buddies then you wouldn't be bothered by
a pinhole on the fascia, unless dreadfully fussy.  Lots of suggestions have
been made for the KX3 so far and if they don't get applied to the KX3, maybe
they'll be in the KX4.  Anyway, it'll need to shrink a heck of a lot before
it becomes a cellphone Hi!

73 Dave G3TJP

  _____

I'm looking at a camera right now and its mic orifice is only about half a
mm in diameter and looking at the size of the camera, its whizzy in and out
lens, battery et al, the mic must be very small indeed.

Maybe a $20 retro-fit kit? Mic, wiring and a tiny drillbit Hi!

73 Dave G3TJP

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net <http://www.qsl.net/>

Re: KX3 internal microphone

N5GE
I can see it now.

You're sitting in the easy chair, reading a book with a nice cup of
tea on the table beside the KX3.  You reach over to pick up the K3
then raise it to your mouth to speak into the internal microphone.
The coax cable knocks the tea cup over which dumps tea into your mini
power supply, causing it to lose all it's smoke and the power cord
pulls your YF's favorite lamp over and breaks it.

One hour later your YF banishes you from the den.

;o)

73,
Tom
Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
ARRL Lifetime Member
QCWA Lifetime Member

On Fri, 03 May 2013 06:31:15 -0700, Richard <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>This is a good idea.  I have my KX3 in a camera flash bag.  Everything I need fits into that bag-- except the hand mic.  An internal mic would make it ' grab-n-go'.
>
>Rich
>NU6T
>
>Dave Lankshear <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>That's a darned good idea, David.
>>

>>I'm looking at a camera right now and its mic orifice is only about half a
>>mm in diameter and looking at the size of the camera, its whizzy in and out
>>lens, battery et al, the mic must be very small indeed.
>>

>>Maybe a $20 retro-fit kit? Mic, wiring and a tiny drillbit Hi!
>>

>>73 Dave G3TJP

>>Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>>
>>This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>>Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

Re: KX3 internal microphone

N5GE
Oops!

K3 in the second paragraph should b "KX3"

73,
Tom
Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
ARRL Lifetime Member
QCWA Lifetime Member

On Fri, 03 May 2013 09:54:40 -0500, Tom H Childers <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>I can see it now.
>
>You're sitting in the easy chair, reading a book with a nice cup of
>tea on the table beside the KX3.  You reach over to pick up the K3
>then raise it to your mouth to speak into the internal microphone.
>The coax cable knocks the tea cup over which dumps tea into your mini
>power supply, causing it to lose all it's smoke and the power cord
>pulls your YF's favorite lamp over and breaks it.
>
>One hour later your YF banishes you from the den.
>
>;o)
>
>73,
>Tom
>Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
>ARRL Lifetime Member
>QCWA Lifetime Member
>

>On Fri, 03 May 2013 06:31:15 -0700, Richard <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>
>>This is a good idea.  I have my KX3 in a camera flash bag.  Everything I need fits into that bag-- except the hand mic.  An internal mic would make it ' grab-n-go'.
>>
>>Rich
>>NU6T
>>
>>Dave Lankshear <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>>That's a darned good idea, David.
>>>

>>>I'm looking at a camera right now and its mic orifice is only about half a
>>>mm in diameter and looking at the size of the camera, its whizzy in and out
>>>lens, battery et al, the mic must be very small indeed.
>>>

>>>Maybe a $20 retro-fit kit? Mic, wiring and a tiny drillbit Hi!
>>>

>>>73 Dave G3TJP

>>>Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>>>
>>>This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>>>Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>>Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>>
>>This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>>Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

Re: KX3 internal microphone

Richard-3
I saw a different image:  Truck rolls off a mountain road.  I can just reach my KX3 case with one hand.  I get the zipper open after a bit of struggle, and get the radio free.  I push two buttons and get the radio to power up from the internal batteries.  Out comes the wire antenna.  I find the key in the side zippered pocket, but can't get it screwed in with only one hand and I keep pushing the radio the more I try.  I give up and pull the radio back.  One button and I'm in SSB mode.  I push the tx button and call mayday.  After a few trys K6DGW responds.  I give my location and he calls for help.  He stays on the air with me until help arrives.  Cell phone?  No coverage.

Rich
NU6T

Tom H Childers <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Oops!
>
>K3 in the second paragraph should b "KX3"
>
>73,
>Tom
>Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
>ARRL Lifetime Member
>QCWA Lifetime Member
>
>On Fri, 03 May 2013 09:54:40 -0500, Tom H Childers <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>
>>I can see it now.
>>
>>You're sitting in the easy chair, reading a book with a nice cup of
>>tea on the table beside the KX3.  You reach over to pick up the K3
>>then raise it to your mouth to speak into the internal microphone.
>>The coax cable knocks the tea cup over which dumps tea into your mini
>>power supply, causing it to lose all it's smoke and the power cord
>>pulls your YF's favorite lamp over and breaks it.
>>
>>One hour later your YF banishes you from the den.
>>
>>;o)
>>
>>73,
>>Tom
>>Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
>>ARRL Lifetime Member
>>QCWA Lifetime Member
>>

>>On Fri, 03 May 2013 06:31:15 -0700, Richard <[hidden email]>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>This is a good idea.  I have my KX3 in a camera flash bag.  Everything I need fits into that bag-- except the hand mic.  An internal mic would make it ' grab-n-go'.
>>>
>>>Rich
>>>NU6T

>>>Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>>>
>>>This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>>>Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

>>Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>>
>>This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>>Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: KX3 internal microphone

AC8NS
OTOH... my wife and I have Bluetooth earbud/microphone sets we can "pair"
with our cell phones. Perhaps a teeny tiny additional circuit in the KX3
would allow me to pair my Bluetooth gizmo with the KX3.

While you are doing this, might as well add voice recognition software so I
can say "band up" or "band down" or "VFO up" or "VFO down" or "nail that CW
caller" (with voice to CW translation at the callers speed). No need for CW
to voice translation, just learn International Morse code.

Hop - AC8NS

> If you give it more thought, with an internal mic, it would remove the
> need
> for adding a mic to the rucksack when out /P, for which the KX3 is
> designed.
> Have you read Wayne's 4lb challenge?
>

> If you want to sit at home with a mic in hand, or a desktop mic weighing
> as
> much as the KX3 and natter to your buddies then you wouldn't be bothered
> by
> a pinhole on the fascia, unless dreadfully fussy.  Lots of suggestions
> have
> been made for the KX3 so far and if they don't get applied to the KX3,
> maybe
> they'll be in the KX4.  Anyway, it'll need to shrink a heck of a lot
> before
> it becomes a cellphone Hi!
>

> 73 Dave G3TJP
>

>  _____

Jessie Oberreuter-2

      Heh, vox cw -- the rig transmits whenever it hears the same "note" as
your side-tone!  -kb7psg

On Fri, 3 May 2013, Howard Evans wrote:

> While you are doing this, might as well add voice recognition software so I
> can say "band up" or "band down" or "VFO up" or "VFO down" or "nail that CW
> caller" (with voice to CW translation at the callers speed). No need for CW
> to voice translation, just learn International Morse code.
>
> Hop - AC8NS

Re: KX3 internal microphone

Phil Salas
If you haven’t seen this video, it is worth looking at.  Alex has a small plug-in mic on his KX3.
Phil – AD5X

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoHNoIK_OUo

Re: KX3 internal microphone

N0AZZ
Tom

I have 50' of coax that I run from the shack to the living room where I take
my KX3 and a small Power supply. I sit it on a TV table beside my recliner
with a laptop running and work DX with it on SSB using the hand mic. One
small matter I can only do that when the wife is gone but then I'm in real
comfort for QRP action 8>)

wrote:

>I can see it now.
>
>You're sitting in the easy chair, reading a book with a nice cup of tea
>on the table beside the KX3.  You reach over to pick up the K3 then
>raise it to your mouth to speak into the internal microphone.
>The coax cable knocks the tea cup over which dumps tea into your mini
>power supply, causing it to lose all it's smoke and the power cord
>pulls your YF's favorite lamp over and breaks it.
>
>One hour later your YF banishes you from the den.
>
>;o)
>
>73,
>Tom
>Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
>ARRL Lifetime Member
>QCWA Lifetime Member
>

>On Fri, 03 May 2013 06:31:15 -0700, Richard <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>
>>This is a good idea.  I have my KX3 in a camera flash bag.  Everything I
need fits into that bag-- except the hand mic.  An internal mic would make
it ' grab-n-go'.

>>Rich
>>NU6T
>>
>>Dave Lankshear <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>>That's a darned good idea, David.
>>>

>>>I'm looking at a camera right now and its mic orifice is only about
>>>half a mm in diameter and looking at the size of the camera, its
>>>whizzy in and out lens, battery et al, the mic must be very small indeed.
>>>

>>>Maybe a $20 retro-fit kit? Mic, wiring and a tiny drillbit Hi!
>>>

>>>73 Dave G3TJP

>>>Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>>>
>>>This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net Please help support this
>>>email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>>Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>>
>>This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net Please help support this email
>>list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

>This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net Please help support this email
>list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

-----
No virus found in this message.

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: KX3 internal microphone

Chris Del Plato KQ2RP
FWIW, I purchased one of these which seems to work OK.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330911609563

72,
Chris
KQ2RP

Re: KX3 internal microphone

David Pratt
Or even this one, Chris; even smaller ;-)

http://r.ebay.com/PwxWTo

73 de David G4DMP

In a recent message, Chris Del Plato KQ2RP <[hidden email]> writes