KX3 (or, K3) 2-meter solid-state amplifier

KX3 (or, K3) 2-meter solid-state amplifier

Phil Hystad-3
I am curious — how much interest is there in a 2-meter, solid-state, amplifier from Elecraft that could be used with either the KX3 or the K3.

I own a KX3 with the 2-meter option and I have considered buying a 2-meter amplifier in the 35 to 90 watt power range (or, something close to that).  But, I would rather have an Elecraft product.  Do others feel the same way or am I wanting too much?

73, phil, K7PEH

Re: KX3 (or, K3) 2-meter solid-state amplifier

Harlan Sherriff

I think it's a great idea.
Harlan NC3C

I am curious — how much interest is there in a 2-meter, solid-state, amplifier from Elecraft that could be used with either the KX3 or the K3.

I own a KX3 with the 2-meter option and I have considered buying a 2-meter amplifier in the 35 to 90 watt power range (or, something close to that).  But, I would rather have an Elecraft product.  Do others feel the same way or am I wanting too much?

73, phil, K7PEH

Re: KX3 (or, K3) 2-meter solid-state amplifier

Gary Gregory-2
Uncle Phil,

Absolutely.

I am contemplating purchasing a clean 2m amp to give me 100w output from a 2m internal transverter in my K3.
I would get on that pre-order list from day one.
I hope Eric & Wayne will do this.
Gary

I am curious — how much interest is there in a 2-meter, solid-state, amplifier from Elecraft that could be used with either the KX3 or the K3.

I own a KX3 with the 2-meter option and I have considered buying a 2-meter amplifier in the 35 to 90 watt power range (or, something close to that).  But, I would rather have an Elecraft product.  Do others feel the same way or am I wanting too much?

73, phil, K7PEH

Re: KX3 (or, K3) 2-meter solid-state amplifier

Karl Erb
Great question, Phil.  Count me in, especially if it's a kit.

Karl
W3BF

Karl Erb
5253 Strathmore Ave
Kensington, MD 20895
301 456 6212

> On Sep 21, 2015, at 5:58 PM, Phil Hystad <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am curious — how much interest is there in a 2-meter, solid-state, amplifier from Elecraft that could be used with either the KX3 or the K3.
> 73, phil, K7PEH

Re: KX3 (or, K3) 2-meter solid-state amplifier

Kevin Stover
If you're not averse to soldering here is a solution which I guarantee
will be less expensive that anything Elecraft can or will produce. No
fancy Auxbus, no standing on one leg and cooking your breakfast while
singing the national anthem, it's just an amplifier with RF detect or
key line PTT.

http://www.w6pql.com/2_meter_80w_all_mode_amplifier.htm

10W in 80-100W depending on how the Toshiba S-AV36 is biased.

--
R. Kevin Stover
AC0H

Re: KX3 (or, K3) 2-meter solid-state amplifier

No you are not asking too much, but consider the market of used ones around since the 1970's.........

Come on guys, its a BRICK.  Once powered up and mode switch selected it sits in the closet, or under the car seat.  Lots of competition and low ball prices including the used ones.  Now if it had bells and whistles, maybe.  Mine is a 5 in 140 out used one for <$100 sits behind the rear sit with the shortest run of coax to the antenna.  No I don't use it portable.  So, no thanks for me.

Mel, K6KBE

I am curious — how much interest is there in a 2-meter, solid-state, amplifier from Elecraft that could be used with either the KX3 or the K3.

I own a KX3 with the 2-meter option and I have considered buying a 2-meter amplifier in the 35 to 90 watt power range (or, something close to that).  But, I would rather have an Elecraft product.  Do others feel the same way or am I wanting too much?

73, phil, K7PEH

Re: KX3 (or, K3) 2-meter solid-state amplifier

I saw those before but does he have it as a 100% complete Kit?
(all grilled and stenciled case as well)

--
R. Kevin Stover
AC0H

Re: KX3 (or, K3) 2-meter solid-state amplifier

Kevin Stover
It was a QST article back in 2013 I think.
I re-read the webpage and don't see a reference to a case and there are
some connectors an LED's he doesn't supply. You'll have to root around
on his parts page to see for sure. $90 for a populated board sans the
case and some connectors can't be beat with a big stick.

On 9/21/2015 5:53 PM, Harry Yingst wrote:

> I saw those before but does he have it as a 100% complete Kit?
>
> (all grilled and stenciled case as well)

Kevin,

Yes, I know of W6PQL.  In fact, on my first version of the message I posted, I made a few comments about the 80-watt 2-meter amp.  But, I thought that would be too much in one message so I did not include it.

I was planning to build the W6PQL 80-watt amp and was already to order the commercial PCB fitted out with the SMT parts which is still a good deal.  But, and this was the thing that stopped me, I could not find a descent utility cabinet for the amp.  W6PQL lists instructions and templates for making your own but I have tried that before.  Without a bending brake it gets really sloppy in forming the box.  I can cut the right gauge aluminum no problem.  I even looked into buying those little corner bracket things that Elecraft uses in their kits for joining two sides at 90-degrees.  But, it would have cost almost $50 for those alone (Elecraft charges pretty pennies, lots of them, for those parts).

I am still on a half-way hunt for a good box.  I have even scoured the local ham-fests this year looking for something that might work well without too much trouble — didn’t find anything.  The boxes that are offered by various electronic parts suppliers just don’t seem suitable — they would be a very last resort.

73, phil, K7PEH

> On Sep 21, 2015, at 3:43 PM, Kevin Stover <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> If you're not averse to soldering here is a solution which I guarantee will be less expensive that anything Elecraft can or will produce. No fancy Auxbus, no standing on one leg and cooking your breakfast while singing the national anthem, it's just an amplifier with RF detect or key line PTT.
>
> http://www.w6pql.com/2_meter_80w_all_mode_amplifier.htm
>
> 10W in 80-100W depending on how the Toshiba S-AV36 is biased.
>

> On 9/21/2015 5:12 PM, Gary wrote:
>> Uncle Phil,
>>
>> Absolutely.
>>
>> I am contemplating purchasing a clean 2m amp to give me 100w output from a 2m internal transverter in my K3.
>> I would get on that pre-order list from day one.
>> I hope Eric & Wayne will do this.
>> Gary
>

> --
> R. Kevin Stover
> AC0H
> ARRL
> FISTS #11993
> SKCC #215
> NAQCC #3441

Re: KX3 (or, K3) 2-meter solid-state amplifier

Wes (N7WS)
Or build something using one of these:

https://youtu.be/OSp54qHiS5E

On 9/21/2015 3:53 PM, Harry Yingst via Elecraft wrote:

> I saw those before but does he have it as a 100% complete Kit?
> (all grilled and stenciled case as well)

Phil Wheeler-2
Kevin,

At the link shown earlier there is this info: "
Drawings for making the chassis parts are here:
front panel
<http://www.w6pql.com/2m/80w-amp/photo-07.jpg>
rear panel
<http://www.w6pql.com/2m/80w-amp/photo-08.jpg>
bottom
<http://www.w6pql.com/2m/80w-amp/photo-09.jpg>cover <http://www.w6pql.com/2m/80w-amp/photo-09.jpg>.
For heat sink material, a heat sink with a base
thickness of .300 or better should be used. The
size of the one I used was 8" long x 5.375" wide."

Not my cup of tea; not into 2 m from my location
(was 20 years ago, and broke my pick due to poor
location).

73, Phil W7OX

On 9/21/15 4:13 PM, Kevin Stover wrote:

> It was a QST article back in 2013 I think.
> I re-read the webpage and don't see a reference
> to a case and there are some connectors an LED's
> he doesn't supply. You'll have to root around on
> his parts page to see for sure. $90 for a
> populated board sans the case and some
> connectors can't be beat with a big stick.
>

> On 9/21/2015 5:53 PM, Harry Yingst wrote:
>> I saw those before but does he have it as a
>> 100% complete Kit?
>>
>> (all grilled and stenciled case as well)

I think I read in one of the higher power amps write up that he uses a
company called http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/ to make his cabinets.
I'll bet it's like PCB express.

--
R. Kevin Stover
AC0H

Re: KX3 (or, K3) 2-meter solid-state amplifier

W1KSZ
Have you looked at Hammond boxes ? Fairly heavy aluminum.

73, Dick, W1KSZ

Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: KX3 (or, K3) 2-meter solid-state amplifier

Phil Hystad-3
Kevin,

I also learned about the use of Front Panel Express from some e-mail exchanges with Jim (W6PQL).  I then discovered that they are local to the Seattle area (my QTH is Kirkland, in the Seattle region).  In fact, they are a couple of doors down from the Woodcraft Store in south Seattle.  Since my woodworking hobby regularly takes me to Woodcraft I dropped by their location on one of my trips.  But, it is not a retail office — I think they do almost all of their interaction via the web.

But, expensive!  I costed out a small cabinet fitting to the 2-meter amp and it was about $100 or so.  They are set up to do dozens or 100s of copies from a single design.  They do sell raw material though in good sizes for making your own box and this is what led me into looking at the 90-degree corner brackets that Elecraft uses but charges quite a bit for them.

73, phil, K7PEH

> On Sep 21, 2015, at 4:40 PM, Kevin Stover <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I think I read in one of the higher power amps write up that he uses a company called http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/ to make his cabinets. I'll bet it's like PCB express.
>
> On 9/21/2015 6:21 PM, Phil Wheeler wrote:
>> Kevin,
>>
>> At the link shown earlier there is this info: " Drawings for making the chassis parts are here: front panel <http://www.w6pql.com/2m/80w-amp/photo-07.jpg> rear panel <http://www.w6pql.com/2m/80w-amp/photo-08.jpg> bottom <http://www.w6pql.com/2m/80w-amp/photo-09.jpg>cover <http://www.w6pql.com/2m/80w-amp/photo-09.jpg>. For heat sink material, a heat sink with a base thickness of .300 or better should be used. The size of the one I used was 8" long x 5.375" wide."
>>
>> Not my cup of tea; not into 2 m from my location (was 20 years ago, and broke my pick due to poor location).
>>
>> 73, Phil W7OX
>>

> --
> R. Kevin Stover
> AC0H
> ARRL
> FISTS #11993
> SKCC #215
> NAQCC #3441

Re: KX3 (or, K3) 2-meter solid-state amplifier

Phil Hystad-3

> On Sep 21, 2015, at 4:55 PM, Richard W. Solomon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Have you looked at Hammond boxes ? Fairly heavy aluminum.
>
> 73, Dick, W1KSZ

Yes, I have considered them.  Our local industrial supply electronics retail store (Vetco)  carries a selection of Hammond Boxes and I didn’t find anything suitable.  I also checked the Hammond Web site but again the closest match I could find was a bit larger than I wanted (although, if pushed into a corner I agree it could work).

They are heavy aluminum — cast aluminum I think.  And, this is one thing I didn’t like about them but I guess my reasons for not liking them were a bit trivial.

73, phil, K7PEH

P.S.  I should admit that the main reason I am not rushing out to build this W6PQL amp is because I haven’t had the spare time and I have this back-of-the-head thought that Elecraft would come out with a 2-meter brick announcement the day I finished that project.

Re: KX3 (or, K3) 2-meter solid-state amplifier

Gary Gregory-2
Times two please
Gary

ny9h@arrl.net

> On Sep 21, 2015, at 4:55 PM, Richard W. Solomon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Have you looked at Hammond boxes ? Fairly heavy aluminum.
>
> 73, Dick, W1KSZ

Yes, I have considered them.  Our local industrial supply electronics retail store (Vetco)  carries a selection of Hammond Boxes and I didn’t find anything suitable.  I also checked the Hammond Web site but again the closest match I could find was a bit larger than I wanted (although, if pushed into a corner I agree it could work).

They are heavy aluminum — cast aluminum I think.  And, this is one thing I didn’t like about them but I guess my reasons for not liking them were a bit trivial.

73, phil, K7PEH

P.S.  I should admit that the main reason I am not rushing out to build this W6PQL amp is because I haven’t had the spare time and I have this back-of-the-head thought that Elecraft would come out with a 2-meter brick announcement the day I finished that project.

Re: KX3 (or, K3) 2-meter solid-state amplifier

W1KSZ
It looks like the Hammond 1590X might do.

As for cast Aluminum, I like the idea of more mass to conduct heat.
Should be easy to attach a heat sink to it.

73, Dick, W1KSZ

I also learned about the use of Front Panel Express from some e-mail exchanges with Jim (W6PQL).  I then discovered that they are local to the Seattle area (my QTH is Kirkland, in the Seattle region).  In fact, they are a couple of doors down from the Woodcraft Store in south Seattle.  Since my woodworking hobby regularly takes me to Woodcraft I dropped by their location on one of my trips.  But, it is not a retail office — I think they do almost all of their interaction via the web.

But, expensive!  I costed out a small cabinet fitting to the 2-meter amp and it was about $100 or so.  They are set up to do dozens or 100s of copies from a single design.  They do sell raw material though in good sizes for making your own box and this is what led me into looking at the 90-degree corner brackets that Elecraft uses but charges quite a bit for them.

73, phil, K7PEH

> On Sep 21, 2015, at 4:40 PM, Kevin Stover <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I think I read in one of the higher power amps write up that he uses a company called http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/ to make his cabinets. I'll bet it's like PCB express.
>
> On 9/21/2015 6:21 PM, Phil Wheeler wrote:
>> Kevin,
>>
>> At the link shown earlier there is this info: " Drawings for making the chassis parts are here: front panel <http://www.w6pql.com/2m/80w-amp/photo-07.jpg> rear panel <http://www.w6pql.com/2m/80w-amp/photo-08.jpg> bottom <http://www.w6pql.com/2m/80w-amp/photo-09.jpg>cover <http://www.w6pql.com/2m/80w-amp/photo-09.jpg>. For heat sink material, a heat sink with a base thickness of .300 or better should be used. The size of the one I used was 8" long x 5.375" wide."
>>
>> Not my cup of tea; not into 2 m from my location (was 20 years ago, and broke my pick due to poor location).
>>
>> 73, Phil W7OX
>>

> --
> R. Kevin Stover
> AC0H
> ARRL
> FISTS #11993
> SKCC #215
> NAQCC #3441

> list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to

Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: KX3 (or, K3) 2-meter solid-state amplifier

Edward R Cole
Anyone needing a W6PQL 80w 2m linear amplifier for their KX3-2M or
Elecraft transverter and want it professionally built I have the
answer for you.  I had already considered offering the W6PQL 80w amp
fully assembled with RF output bar meter.  The kit comes with
attenuator that will accept up to 10w drive or a low as 50mw.  For
the KX3 I suggest 1-to-2w as a good drive level.  I didn't finish my
cost analysis but I can state cost will be approximately $100 over
parts for an amp assembled by "Kits made by KL7UW".  The amp will
include a fan-cooled 1-inch heatsink auto-controlled by thermistor.

I cannot start assembly until November as I am totally booked until
then building Down East Microwave Transverters (five in que at
present).  I will work up the complete costs and will have that on my website:
http://www.kl7uw.com/kits.htm

I currently offer 90-day warrantee on my workmanship building DEMI kits.

If interested contact me off the list and I will add you to my info
list.  Not taking orders until I have the complete costs analyzed and
a price set.  Thanks.

73, Ed - KL7UW

--------------------
rom: Kevin Stover <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]

On 9/21/2015 5:12 PM, Gary wrote:
 > Uncle Phil,
 >
 > Absolutely.
 >
 > I am contemplating purchasing a clean 2m amp to give me 100w
output from a 2m internal transverter in my K3.
 > I would get on that pre-order list from day one.
 > I hope Eric & Wayne will do this.
 > Gary

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
     "Kits made by KL7UW"
Dubus Mag business:

Re: KX3 (or, K3) 2-meter solid-state amplifier

GM4JJJ
Hi Phil,

For me, no. I already have a KX3 with transverter and SSPA. I have an old BNOS 3W to 100 W amplifier in my cupboard, should I ever wish to go portable with the KX3 ( though I have not bought the internal 2m transverter yet, as I may instead get a 4m transverter to cover that band).

Can I ask you a few questions?

What would be your intended use for this amplifier?

1. Out portable with the KX3 (where you have a small generator or large battery)? Ruggedness is more important than looks here.

2. Local FM simplex at home where 3W barefoot from the KX3 might not be quite enough and you want a nice looking box to match the rest of the lineup?

3. Casual weak signal work from home on SSB CW WSJT?

4. As a driver for a legal limit triode tube amplifier for Real DX and contest work?

These are the main uses I could see, and you have to ask how many people might be interested in those. ( You did ask the question and I think you will find the answer is very few in real numbers).

For item 4, more and more the legal limit tube amplifier is being replaced by the LDMOS SSPA which requires only 3W or so to drive it to a kW out, so the driver amplifier is no longer required.

For Item 3, there are so many DC- Light multimode multiband radios out there that cover 2m with 50 to 100 W output now that satisfy the casual user, the real contester and DXer will use a K3 and high quality transverter and tube or LDMOS SSPA nowadays.

I just can't see the numbers being anywhere near high enough for Elecraft to be able to make an intermediate power VHF amplifier at what would be a price that most would even think about paying. If in any doubt see how much the newly introduced matching Elecraft speakers are, and that is for a product that is going to be much more popular.

As others have said, the alternative is to build a W6PQL amplifier kit, into an Elecraft speaker box if necessary ;-)

73

David Anderson GM4JJJ