KX3 power supply

John Kramer
Someone on this reflector suggested a power supply off eBay, that could be used
with the KX3 about 2 months ago. It is intended for Toshiba laptops. So I bought one,
this is the one…

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15V-5A-AC-Adapter-Charger-Power-Supply-For-Toshiba-Tecra-A6-A7-A8-A9-A10-Laptop-/381356162365?hash=item58ca993d3d:g:Yk0AAOSwMmBVxX22 <http://www.ebay.com/itm/15V-5A-AC-Adapter-Charger-Power-Supply-For-Toshiba-Tecra-A6-A7-A8-A9-A10-Laptop-/381356162365?hash=item58ca993d3d:g:Yk0AAOSwMmBVxX22>

It terminates in the right plug for the KX3 and is rated at 15 volts at max 5 amps, and only sells
for $ 7.79 including free shipping from Hong Kong.
Anyway, it is cheap as chips so I bought one, and it arrived today. I hooked up to a volt meter
and see it is 15.4 volts. I know it is better for TX IMD to have higher voltage supplied to the
KX3 rather than a voltage too low, but I am concerned that 15.4 volts may be too much
for the KX3. I see in the KX3 manual specs, that recommended supply voltage is 8 - 15 volts.
I would hate to hurt my KX3 with over voltage……anyone know if there would be any short
or long term problems with running 15.4 volts to the KX3 ? It is just slightly above the
maximum recommended supply voltage

73
John, ZS5J.

Re: KX3 power supply

Bob N3MNT
The KX3 will shut down if the voltage is too high.

Re: KX3 power supply

John Kramer
Thanks for the info Bob, and it’s reassuring to see that the KX3 has protection for
over voltage.
One caveat with this PSU - I just tried to insert the DC plug from this  PSU to the KX3,
and I see it is too large for the KX3. Not a big deal, I will just cut it off and fit the correct
size DC plug

73

John, ZS5J

On 18 Jan 2016, at 11:09 PM, Bob N3MNT <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Clay Autery
And you could always put together a little inline circuit to drop the
voltage down to 13.8-14.1 or so...

73,

______________________
Clay Autery

On 1/18/2016 3:17 PM, John Kramer wrote:

> Thanks for the info Bob, and it’s reassuring to see that the KX3 has protection for
> over voltage.
> One caveat with this PSU - I just tried to insert the DC plug from this  PSU to the KX3,
> and I see it is too large for the KX3. Not a big deal, I will just cut it off and fit the correct
> size DC plug
>
> 73
>
> John, ZS5J
>

> On 18 Jan 2016, at 11:09 PM, Bob N3MNT <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The KX3 will shut down if the voltage is too high.
>

> Someone on this reflector suggested a power supply off eBay, that could be used
> with the KX3 about 2 months ago. It is intended for Toshiba laptops. So I bought one,
> this is the one…
>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/15V-5A-AC-Adapter-Charger-Power-Supply-For-Toshiba-Tecra-A6-A7-A8-A9-A10-Laptop-/381356162365?hash=item58ca993d3d:g:Yk0AAOSwMmBVxX22 <http://www.ebay.com/itm/15V-5A-AC-Adapter-Charger-Power-Supply-For-Toshiba-Tecra-A6-A7-A8-A9-A10-Laptop-/381356162365?hash=item58ca993d3d:g:Yk0AAOSwMmBVxX22>
>
> It terminates in the right plug for the KX3 and is rated at 15 volts at max 5 amps, and only sells
> for $ 7.79 including free shipping from Hong Kong.
> Anyway, it is cheap as chips so I bought one, and it arrived today. I hooked up to a volt meter
> and see it is 15.4 volts. I know it is better for TX IMD to have higher voltage supplied to the
> KX3 rather than a voltage too low, but I am concerned that 15.4 volts may be too much
> for the KX3. I see in the KX3 manual specs, that recommended supply voltage is 8 - 15 volts.
> I would hate to hurt my KX3 with over voltage……anyone know if there would be any short
> or long term problems with running 15.4 volts to the KX3 ? It is just slightly above the
> maximum recommended supply voltage
>
> 73
> John, ZS5J.

Re: KX3 power supply

ktalbott
That plug is NOT correct for the KX3.  It SB 2.1 X 5.5 (rather, that's what I use.)
Ken - ke4rg

Re: KX3 power supply

Nr4c
I'd look to reduce the voltage about half a bolt before I'd use it with a KX3.

Sent from my iPhone
...nr4c. bill

> On Jan 18, 2016, at 3:43 PM, John Kramer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Someone on this reflector suggested a power supply off eBay, that could be used
> with the KX3 about 2 months ago. It is intended for Toshiba laptops. So I bought one,
> this is the one…
>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/15V-5A-AC-Adapter-Charger-Power-Supply-For-Toshiba-Tecra-A6-A7-A8-A9-A10-Laptop-/381356162365?hash=item58ca993d3d:g:Yk0AAOSwMmBVxX22 <http://www.ebay.com/itm/15V-5A-AC-Adapter-Charger-Power-Supply-For-Toshiba-Tecra-A6-A7-A8-A9-A10-Laptop-/381356162365?hash=item58ca993d3d:g:Yk0AAOSwMmBVxX22>
>
> It terminates in the right plug for the KX3 and is rated at 15 volts at max 5 amps, and only sells
> for $ 7.79 including free shipping from Hong Kong.
> Anyway, it is cheap as chips so I bought one, and it arrived today. I hooked up to a volt meter
> and see it is 15.4 volts. I know it is better for TX IMD to have higher voltage supplied to the
> KX3 rather than a voltage too low, but I am concerned that 15.4 volts may be too much
> for the KX3. I see in the KX3 manual specs, that recommended supply voltage is 8 - 15 volts.
> I would hate to hurt my KX3 with over voltage……anyone know if there would be any short
> or long term problems with running 15.4 volts to the KX3 ? It is just slightly above the
> maximum recommended supply voltage
>
> 73
> John, ZS5J.

Re: KX3 power supply

John,

I would suggest that you put a diode in series with that supply - rated
at 5 amps.  That will reduce the voltage by the amount of the diode drop.
Running the KX3 (or any other device) above the specified maximum
voltage is done at your own peril - it may work, but it taxes the
regulators and other devices.

On 1/18/2016 3:43 PM, John Kramer wrote:

> Someone on this reflector suggested a power supply off eBay, that could be used
> with the KX3 about 2 months ago. It is intended for Toshiba laptops. So I bought one,
> this is the one…
>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/15V-5A-AC-Adapter-Charger-Power-Supply-For-Toshiba-Tecra-A6-A7-A8-A9-A10-Laptop-/381356162365?hash=item58ca993d3d:g:Yk0AAOSwMmBVxX22 <http://www.ebay.com/itm/15V-5A-AC-Adapter-Charger-Power-Supply-For-Toshiba-Tecra-A6-A7-A8-A9-A10-Laptop-/381356162365?hash=item58ca993d3d:g:Yk0AAOSwMmBVxX22>
>
> It terminates in the right plug for the KX3 and is rated at 15 volts at max 5 amps, and only sells
> for $ 7.79 including free shipping from Hong Kong.
> Anyway, it is cheap as chips so I bought one, and it arrived today. I hooked up to a volt meter
> and see it is 15.4 volts. I know it is better for TX IMD to have higher voltage supplied to the
> KX3 rather than a voltage too low, but I am concerned that 15.4 volts may be too much
> for the KX3. I see in the KX3 manual specs, that recommended supply voltage is 8 - 15 volts.
> I would hate to hurt my KX3 with over voltage……anyone know if there would be any short
> or long term problems with running 15.4 volts to the KX3 ? It is just slightly above the
> maximum recommended supply voltage
>
> 73
> John, ZS5J.

Re: KX3 power supply

John Kramer
Don

Thanks for the reply. I have thought long about it, and decided I would rather not risk damaging
my KX3 for the sake of a cheap PSU. I live too far away from the factory to risk damaging
the KX3 - it cost me $ 450.00 just to ship my new KX3 to me in June.

I will leave the cheap eBay PSU for some other project, or the trash. I have plenty of other
regulated, stable PSU’s that supply the correct voltage, so I will continue using them.

I would never forgive myself if I damaged my KX3 by using a cheap eBay PSU.

Thanks for all the replies

73
John, ZS5J

On 19 Jan 2016, at 1:18 AM, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:

John,

I would suggest that you put a diode in series with that supply - rated
at 5 amps.  That will reduce the voltage by the amount of the diode drop.
Running the KX3 (or any other device) above the specified maximum
voltage is done at your own peril - it may work, but it taxes the
regulators and other devices.

On 1/18/2016 3:43 PM, John Kramer wrote:

> Someone on this reflector suggested a power supply off eBay, that could be used
> with the KX3 about 2 months ago. It is intended for Toshiba laptops. So I bought one,
> this is the one…
>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/15V-5A-AC-Adapter-Charger-Power-Supply-For-Toshiba-Tecra-A6-A7-A8-A9-A10-Laptop-/381356162365?hash=item58ca993d3d:g:Yk0AAOSwMmBVxX22 <http://www.ebay.com/itm/15V-5A-AC-Adapter-Charger-Power-Supply-For-Toshiba-Tecra-A6-A7-A8-A9-A10-Laptop-/381356162365?hash=item58ca993d3d:g:Yk0AAOSwMmBVxX22>
>
> It terminates in the right plug for the KX3 and is rated at 15 volts at max 5 amps, and only sells
> for $ 7.79 including free shipping from Hong Kong.
> Anyway, it is cheap as chips so I bought one, and it arrived today. I hooked up to a volt meter
> and see it is 15.4 volts. I know it is better for TX IMD to have higher voltage supplied to the
> KX3 rather than a voltage too low, but I am concerned that 15.4 volts may be too much
> for the KX3. I see in the KX3 manual specs, that recommended supply voltage is 8 - 15 volts.
> I would hate to hurt my KX3 with over voltage……anyone know if there would be any short
> or long term problems with running 15.4 volts to the KX3 ? It is just slightly above the
> maximum recommended supply voltage
>
> 73
> John, ZS5J.

Re: KX3 power supply

Thorpe, Jeffrey
I did that for a folding solar panel I purchased that put out 18V. A couple zeners dropped it to 15.3V. The panel doesn't have the juice for transmission, but fine for receive (or charging the batteries).

Jeff - kg7hdz

> On Jan 18, 2016, at 16:21, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> John,
>
> I would suggest that you put a diode in series with that supply - rated at 5 amps.  That will reduce the voltage by the amount of the diode drop.
> Running the KX3 (or any other device) above the specified maximum voltage is done at your own peril - it may work, but it taxes the regulators and other devices.

Re: KX3 power supply

hhoyt
Jeff,

Pro Audio Engineering also has good stock of these cores and better
pricing than Mouser.

Howie - WA4PSC

>>I bought the cores from Verical.com --
>>>they had the best deal on them --
>>>but they appear to be out of stock.

Re: KX3 power supply

There are other good solutions. Use the panels and charge controller to
charge an outboard battery.  Now you DO have enough for TX.

Genasun is the best, no RF noise, very efficient.  They make different
products that are designed for each type of battery chemistry, and for
different power ratings. I use the GV-10 in my station.

http://genasun.com/products-store/mppt-solar-charge-controllers/

This SunForce is less efficient, no RF noise, but very inexpensive.  $17
at amazon. Designed for lead-acid.  I used this unit in my station until
I found the GV-10.

http://www.sunforceproducts.com/product_details.php?PRODUCT_ID=56

73, Jim K9YC

On Tue,1/19/2016 12:23 PM, Thorpe, Jeffrey wrote:

> I did that for a folding solar panel I purchased that put out 18V. A couple zeners dropped it to 15.3V. The panel doesn't have the juice for transmission, but fine for receive (or charging the batteries).
>
> Jeff - kg7hdz
>
>> On Jan 18, 2016, at 16:21, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> John,
>>
>> I would suggest that you put a diode in series with that supply - rated at 5 amps.  That will reduce the voltage by the amount of the diode drop.
>> Running the KX3 (or any other device) above the specified maximum voltage is done at your own peril - it may work, but it taxes the regulators and other devices.
>>
>> 73,
>> Don W3FPR

Re: KX3 power supply

Thorpe, Jeffrey
I have a LiFePo from Bienno and the Buddipole charge controller for portable ops. Very tiny. System works well.

Jeff - kg7hdz