KX3 stopped answering to serial commands

KX3 stopped answering to serial commands

Holger Schurig-2
Hi,

I have a KX3 with Firmware 02.33. When I put the orginal Elecraft USB->ACC1
Plug into the device, then programs like kx3util, fldigi, rigctl (from
hamlib) and even a terminal won't work.

Actually, this is not totally true. When I turn AUTO INF to "riG Ctrl" in
the menu, then I see various frequency change settings. So I know that the
KX3 can send and my computer can receive. And that the baudrate is correct.

Also, when I enter "ID;" in a terminal program, I will get the echo "ID;",
but not the response "IDnnn;". When I remove the plug from AC1, I won't get
the echo. So I think the "ID;" is really sent from the KX3, so somehow the
KX3 can still receive and echo. It just doesn't honor any commands.

Any idea on how I could fix that?  Or what I might do wrong?

Holger, DH3HS

Re: KX3 stopped answering to serial commands

Iain MacDonnell - N6ML-2
On Mon, Sep 5, 2016 at 11:18 AM, Holger Schurig <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a KX3 with Firmware 02.33. When I put the orginal Elecraft USB->ACC1
> Plug into the device, then programs like kx3util, fldigi, rigctl (from
> hamlib) and even a terminal won't work.
>
> Actually, this is not totally true. When I turn AUTO INF to "riG Ctrl" in
> the menu, then I see various frequency change settings. So I know that the
> KX3 can send and my computer can receive. And that the baudrate is correct.
>
> Also, when I enter "ID;" in a terminal program, I will get the echo "ID;",
> but not the response "IDnnn;". When I remove the plug from AC1, I won't get
> the echo. So I think the "ID;" is really sent from the KX3, so somehow the
> KX3 can still receive and echo. It just doesn't honor any commands.

It almost sounds like the TX and RX lines might be shorted together??
But if this only happens when the cable is connect to the KX3, perhaps
the short is inside. When you type "ID;", does it echo back one
character at a time, or the whole thing at once? If you send something
arbitrary/random, does that get echoed back too?

73,

    ~iain / N6ML

Re: KX3 stopped answering to serial commands

Holger Schurig-2
Hi Ian,

yes and yes:

- yes, it echos back one character at a time, like I'm typing

- yes, it echos back even when I enter random characters.

I opened my KX3 and removed the the shielding (Battery retainer). Then I
measured at J3 (ACC1). Imagine that the ACC1 is positioned towards the
left, then the lower-right and the right pins of J3 have a connection
according to my Multimeter. But I think that is the switch that is inside
the socket.

Otherwise I can't see anything, e.g. no weird soldering or some remnant of
a wire doing some short.

73, Holger DH3HS

On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 9:25 AM, Holger Schurig <[hidden email]> wrote:
> - yes, it echos back one character at a time, like I'm typing
>
> - yes, it echos back even when I enter random characters.

Does the echo happen if the KX3 is connected but not powered on?

> I opened my KX3 and removed the the shielding (Battery retainer). Then I
> measured at J3 (ACC1). Imagine that the ACC1 is positioned towards the left,
> then the lower-right and the right pins of J3 have a connection according to
> my Multimeter. But I think that is the switch that is inside the socket.

Yes, I see the same thing, but only when there is nothing plugged in.
The schematic shows a switch connected to (unused) pin 4.

A simpler test might be to use a stereo audio cable, plugged into ACC1
- measure between the tip and ring at the other end. I see a few
M-ohms there in both directions...

73,

    ~iain / N6ML

Re: KX3 stopped answering to serial commands

Holger Schurig-2
Follow up: the KXUSB3 cable was faulty according to QRP Project. Got a new
one, now everything works again.