KX3 use for broadcast reception

Robert Sands
Do I need to change settings to optimize reception of AM broadcast? ATU
off. what else?
Bob
K7VO off to wilderness. Need to hear Seahawks game tonight.

Robert Sands
K7VO
Olympia, WA

Re: KX3 use for broadcast reception

Elecraft mailing list
Robert,
I found that in SOME (but not all) cases,  enabling the mode noted below helps:
MCU 1.84 / DSP 1.28, 1-4-2014

* AM BROADCAST BAND (BCB) RECEIVE OPTIMIZATION:  If you have a KXAT3 ATU installed, you can select one of two optimizations for reception below 1300 kHz. While in the ATU MD menu entry, tap '1' (PRE) to select either BCB NOR (the original setting, which reduces the amplitude of received harmonic images), or BCB=160 (a new setting that may improve receive sensitivity by using the 160 meter ATU settings even below 1300 kHz). BCB NOR is recommended unless you need BCB=160 in order to copy a weak AM station. You can also improve sensitivity by using higher preamp gain settings (use the PREAMP menu entry, which is per-band
MarkKE6BB

Re: KX3 use for broadcast reception

John Klewer-2
Just got around to measuring RX sensitivity on my KX3 and, boy, does it
drop off severely (about -30 dB) at 1 MHz....playing with the ATU settings
as others have mentioned here doesn't help

John

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 10:30 AM, Mark, KE6BB via Elecraft <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Robert,
> I found that in SOME (but not all) cases,  enabling the mode noted below
> helps:
> MCU 1.84 / DSP 1.28, 1-4-2014
>
> * AM BROADCAST BAND (BCB) RECEIVE OPTIMIZATION:  If you have a KXAT3 ATU
> installed, you can select one of two optimizations for reception below 1300
> kHz. While in the ATU MD menu entry, tap '1' (PRE) to select either BCB NOR
> (the original setting, which reduces the amplitude of received harmonic
> images), or BCB=160 (a new setting that may improve receive sensitivity by
> using the 160 meter ATU settings even below 1300 kHz). BCB NOR is
> recommended unless you need BCB=160 in order to copy a weak AM station. You
> can also improve sensitivity by using higher preamp gain settings (use the
> PREAMP menu entry, which is per-band
> MarkKE6BB

Re: KX3 use for broadcast reception

Don Wilhelm-4
John,

The T/R switch PIN diodes are protected against strong AM BC stations by
a high pass filter.  You will have better luck if you use the RX ANT
input (assuming you have the KXV3 option as well as the KBPF3 installed).