KX3 utility on RPi

James Bennett
I’ve been using my KX3 connected to a Raspberry Pi 3 for quite some time, using CQRlog for logging, FLDIGI for PSK31, and recently, WXJT-X rc3 for JT9 and JT65. I’d like to load the most current firmware into the KX3 so I can get the full 15 watts out. I downloaded and un-tar’d the KX3 Utility from the Elecraft web site. So - now what? If I click on the “kx3util” executable, nothing happens. What is the secret procedure to get this going? I am using the Raspian Jessie (Debian Linux) OS on this RPi.

Thanks, Jim / W6JHB
Folsom, CA

“What’s the difference between a carpenter and a woodworker? About 1/8 inch!"

Re: KX3 utility on RPi

Niel Skousen
I've been using Mike t on a Dell e4200.  I seem to recall is wa the 32bit compatibility lib's.  Elecraft's SW is built ( if I recall) as 32bit apps.

Will ping you seperately offline for some questions.

Thanks

Niel
WA7SSA

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 13, 2016, at 17:53, James Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I’ve been using my KX3 connected to a Raspberry Pi 3 for quite some time, using CQRlog for logging, FLDIGI for PSK31, and recently, WXJT-X rc3 for JT9 and JT65. I’d like to load the most current firmware into the KX3 so I can get the full 15 watts out. I downloaded and un-tar’d the KX3 Utility from the Elecraft web site. So - now what? If I click on the “kx3util” executable, nothing happens. What is the secret procedure to get this going? I am using the Raspian Jessie (Debian Linux) OS on this RPi.
>
> Thanks, Jim / W6JHB
> Folsom, CA
>
> “What’s the difference between a carpenter and a woodworker? About 1/8 inch!"

Re: KX3 utility on RPi

Niel Skousen
Duh Mint...

Niel

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 13, 2016, at 18:15, Niel Skousen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I've been using Mike t on a Dell e4200.  I seem to recall is wa the 32bit compatibility lib's.  Elecraft's SW is built ( if I recall) as 32bit apps.
>
> Will ping you seperately offline for some questions.
>
> Thanks
>
> Niel
> WA7SSA
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Dec 13, 2016, at 17:53, James Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I’ve been using my KX3 connected to a Raspberry Pi 3 for quite some time, using CQRlog for logging, FLDIGI for PSK31, and recently, WXJT-X rc3 for JT9 and JT65. I’d like to load the most current firmware into the KX3 so I can get the full 15 watts out. I downloaded and un-tar’d the KX3 Utility from the Elecraft web site. So - now what? If I click on the “kx3util” executable, nothing happens. What is the secret procedure to get this going? I am using the Raspian Jessie (Debian Linux) OS on this RPi.
>>
>> Thanks, Jim / W6JHB
>> Folsom, CA
>>
>> “What’s the difference between a carpenter and a woodworker? About 1/8 inch!"

Re: KX3 utility on RPi

Phil Wheeler-2
Jim,

The Elecraft site
http://www.elecraft.com/KX3/KX3_software.htm

*Minimum Operating System Requirements for
Elecraft Utilities:*

*Microsoft Windows*: XP Service Pack 3 or later,
including Vista, 7, 8, and 8.1.

*Apple Mac:* OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or later

*X86-based Linux:* GTK+ 2.8 or later, glibc-2.4,
libstdc++.so.6 and cURL. 64-bit Linux requires
32-bit compatibility libraries.

My thinking is that your RPi3 is not running
X86-based Linux -- and/or ....

73, Phil W7OX

On 12/13/16 4:53 PM, James Bennett wrote:
> I’ve been using my KX3 connected to a Raspberry Pi 3 for quite some time, using CQRlog for logging, FLDIGI for PSK31, and recently, WXJT-X rc3 for JT9 and JT65. I’d like to load the most current firmware into the KX3 so I can get the full 15 watts out. I downloaded and un-tar’d the KX3 Utility from the Elecraft web site. So - now what? If I click on the “kx3util” executable, nothing happens. What is the secret procedure to get this going? I am using the Raspian Jessie (Debian Linux) OS on this RPi.
>
> Thanks, Jim / W6JHB
> Folsom, CA

Re: KX3 utility on RPi

Timothy Elwell
The utility is compiled for the x86 architecture. You won't be able to
run it on the ARM architecture that the Pi runs on. The only way to do
that is for Elecraft to compile a version for the ARM. Last I seem to
recall being mentioned, there wasn't enough need to spend the time
setting up the tool chain and dependencies for the ARM platform. It
would be time best spent fixing other problems.

I'm a Pi person myself and would like to see it for that platform, but
do understand as a programmer the difficulties of the extra support
required for another platform. And a small company has to watch their
employee capital.

Here's hoping for the future, though.

Tim
KG1GEM

PS: Sorry Jim, I realized I mistakenly replied directly to you and not
the list originally.

On 12/13/16 7:53 PM, James Bennett wrote:

> I’ve been using my KX3 connected to a Raspberry Pi 3 for quite some
> time, using CQRlog for logging, FLDIGI for PSK31, and recently, WXJT-X
> rc3 for JT9 and JT65. I’d like to load the most current firmware into
> the KX3 so I can get the full 15 watts out. I downloaded and un-tar’d
> the KX3 Utility from the Elecraft web site. So - now what? If I click
> on the “kx3util” executable, nothing happens. What is the secret
> procedure to get this going? I am using the Raspian Jessie (Debian
> Linux) OS on this RPi.

Re: KX3 utility on RPi

James Bennett
Ah, crud - you know, I saw that "x86-based Linux” statement and it never dawned on me about the Pi being ARM-based!!! I should have known that, as I went through a ton of hoops getting WSJT-X and Hamlib running on the RPi because of that issue. In both instances I had to compile from source. Once the dependencies were addressed, the compilation process went well, although sloooooow. Well, I suppose Elecraft doesn’t provide source for the utility, so I guess I’ve got to pull the cable off the RPi and over to my iMac and run the Utility over there on OSX. Not cool, dang it. Oh well…

Thanks for everyone’s input.

73 and Happy Holidays, Jim / W6JHB
Folsom, CA

> On   Tuesday, Dec 13, 2016, at  Tuesday, 6:16 PM, Tim Elwell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The utility is compiled for the x86 architecture. You won't be able to run it on the ARM architecture that the Pi runs on. The only way to do that is for Elecraft to compile a version for the ARM. Last I seem to recall being mentioned, there wasn't enough need to spend the time setting up the tool chain and dependencies for the ARM platform. It would be time best spent fixing other problems.
>
> I'm a Pi person myself and would like to see it for that platform, but do understand as a programmer the difficulties of the extra support required for another platform. And a small company has to watch their employee capital.
>
> Here's hoping for the future, though.
>
> Tim
> KG1GEM
>
> PS: Sorry Jim, I realized I mistakenly replied directly to you and not the list originally.
>

> On 12/13/16 7:53 PM, James Bennett wrote:
>> I’ve been using my KX3 connected to a Raspberry Pi 3 for quite some time, using CQRlog for logging, FLDIGI for PSK31, and recently, WXJT-X rc3 for JT9 and JT65. I’d like to load the most current firmware into the KX3 so I can get the full 15 watts out. I downloaded and un-tar’d the KX3 Utility from the Elecraft web site. So - now what? If I click on the “kx3util” executable, nothing happens. What is the secret procedure to get this going? I am using the Raspian Jessie (Debian Linux) OS on this RPi.

James Bennett

Re: KX3 utility on RPi

James,

Having been a professional woodworker for 10 years I disagree.  The
difference between a woodworker and a carpenter is 1/64 of an inch.  1/8
of an inch is sloppy measurement and while that is sufficient for
carpenters doing framing, it is not sufficient for finish carpenters and
woodworkers who do precision work.

On 12/13/2016 7:53 PM, James Bennett wrote:

> “What’s the difference between a carpenter and a woodworker? About 1/8 inch!"

Re: KX3 utility on RPi

Doug Person-4
I'm a big Pi fan myself.  So if adding my voice provides any additional
influence - here it is.  I'm also a programmer and I agree there is
extra work involved.  If the utility was open source, then volunteers
could join in and manage the tool chain and build. I would certainly be
happy to make a contribution.

The Raspberry Pi is a very hot platform that gets more and more capable
with each new board.  Version 3 is quite amazing.  I can hardly tell I'm
running on a little ARM box.  It's power is the result of the advances
in mobile platforms, so the future for these little computers is very
bright.

Doug -- K0DXV

On 12/13/2016 8:28 PM, James Bennett wrote:

> Ah, crud - you know, I saw that "x86-based Linux” statement and it never dawned on me about the Pi being ARM-based!!! I should have known that, as I went through a ton of hoops getting WSJT-X and Hamlib running on the RPi because of that issue. In both instances I had to compile from source. Once the dependencies were addressed, the compilation process went well, although sloooooow. Well, I suppose Elecraft doesn’t provide source for the utility, so I guess I’ve got to pull the cable off the RPi and over to my iMac and run the Utility over there on OSX. Not cool, dang it. Oh well…
>
> Thanks for everyone’s input.
>
> 73 and Happy Holidays, Jim / W6JHB
> Folsom, CA
>

>> On   Tuesday, Dec 13, 2016, at  Tuesday, 6:16 PM, Tim Elwell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The utility is compiled for the x86 architecture. You won't be able to run it on the ARM architecture that the Pi runs on. The only way to do that is for Elecraft to compile a version for the ARM. Last I seem to recall being mentioned, there wasn't enough need to spend the time setting up the tool chain and dependencies for the ARM platform. It would be time best spent fixing other problems.
>>
>> I'm a Pi person myself and would like to see it for that platform, but do understand as a programmer the difficulties of the extra support required for another platform. And a small company has to watch their employee capital.
>>
>> Here's hoping for the future, though.
>>
>> Tim
>> KG1GEM
>>
>> PS: Sorry Jim, I realized I mistakenly replied directly to you and not the list originally.
>>

>> On 12/13/16 7:53 PM, James Bennett wrote:
>>> I’ve been using my KX3 connected to a Raspberry Pi 3 for quite some time, using CQRlog for logging, FLDIGI for PSK31, and recently, WXJT-X rc3 for JT9 and JT65. I’d like to load the most current firmware into the KX3 so I can get the full 15 watts out. I downloaded and un-tar’d the KX3 Utility from the Elecraft web site. So - now what? If I click on the “kx3util” executable, nothing happens. What is the secret procedure to get this going? I am using the Raspian Jessie (Debian Linux) OS on this RPi.

> James Bennett

Re: KX3 utility on RPi

Nr4c
If it were "open source" Elecraft could control what you did to your radio.

Sent from my iPhone
...nr4c. bill

> [...]
>>>
>>> The utility is compiled for the x86 architecture. You won't be able to run it on the ARM architecture that the Pi runs on. The only way to do that is for Elecraft to compile a version for the ARM. Last I seem to recall being mentioned, there wasn't enough need to spend the time setting up the tool chain and dependencies for the ARM platform. It would be time best spent fixing other problems.
>>>
>>> I'm a Pi person myself and would like to see it for that platform, but do understand as a programmer the difficulties of the extra support required for another platform. And a small company has to watch their employee capital.
>>>
>>> Here's hoping for the future, though.
>>>
>>> Tim
>>> KG1GEM
>>>
>>> PS: Sorry Jim, I realized I mistakenly replied directly to you and not the list originally.

Re: KX3 utility on RPi

k6dgw
????

73,

Fred K6DGW
Sparks NV USA
Washoe County DM09dn

On 12/16/2016 1:33 PM, Nr4c wrote:
> If it were "open source" Elecraft could control what you did to your radio.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
> ...nr4c. bill

Re: KX3 utility on RPi

Bill,

I think there is a big "NOT" missing from your post.
How could Elecraft control and provide support for code of each user's
'invention'.
Elecraft support has enough problems with support for the major OS
platforms and users who have trouble using those OS platforms - for
instance needing Elecraft support to help them with downloading and
installing the Utility programs and help in downloading firmware.  Yes,
it happens.

With open source, it would be chaotic for users who are not "computer
smart" and not conversant with computer lingo.

On 12/16/2016 4:33 PM, Nr4c wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Doug -- K0DXV
>>
>>> On 12/13/2016 8:28 PM, James Bennett wrote:
>>> Ah, crud - you know, I saw that "x86-based Linux” statement and it never dawned on me about the Pi being ARM-based!!! I should have known that, as I went through a ton of hoops getting WSJT-X and Hamlib running on the RPi because of that issue. In both instances I had to compile from source. Once the dependencies were addressed, the compilation process went well, although sloooooow. Well, I suppose Elecraft doesn’t provide source for the utility, so I guess I’ve got to pull the cable off the RPi and over to my iMac and run the Utility over there on OSX. Not cool, dang it. Oh well…

Precisely.  Open source software has its place in situations where the
participants are technically qualified.  However, I can't imagine
Elecraft tech support attempting to field the multitude of problems
reported from multiple platforms, coded by others, many who are anonymous.

I still don't understand the reference to "Elecraft controlling my
radio."  The Elecraft utilities are convenient interfaces into all the
things I can configure with my Elecraft radios.  The utility does
nothing unless I tell it to, and what I tell it is between me and my radios.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Sparks NV DM09dn

- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the Cal QSO Party 7-8 Oct 2017
- www.cqp.org

On 12/16/2016 2:00 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Bill,
>
> I think there is a big "NOT" missing from your post.
> How could Elecraft control and provide support for code of each user's
> 'invention'.
> Elecraft support has enough problems with support for the major OS
> platforms and users who have trouble using those OS platforms - for
> instance needing Elecraft support to help them with downloading and
> installing the Utility programs and help in downloading firmware.  Yes,
> it happens.
>
> With open source, it would be chaotic for users who are not "computer
> smart" and not conversant with computer lingo.

Re: KX3 utility on RPi

Niel Skousen
On the other hand,  if one of us (well, not me - not technically qualified) were to contact Elecraft and volunteer ( in the OpenSource mindset) to execute the appropriate agreements for access to the code line.  Then to be the maintainer of the ARM distribution, with a focus on the RPi family, Elecraft might well agree to support the distribution.  That would satisfy the company protection of product line integrity, and given a knowledgeable package maintainer, a confidence in the finished product.

Niel

On Dec 16, 2016, at 3:41 PM, Fred Jensen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Precisely.  Open source software has its place in situations where the participants are technically qualified.  However, I can't imagine Elecraft tech support attempting to field the multitude of problems reported from multiple platforms, coded by others, many who are anonymous.
>
> I still don't understand the reference to "Elecraft controlling my radio."  The Elecraft utilities are convenient interfaces into all the things I can configure with my Elecraft radios.  The utility does nothing unless I tell it to, and what I tell it is between me and my radios.
>
> 73,
>
> Fred K6DGW
> - Sparks NV DM09dn
>
> - Northern California Contest Club
> - CU in the Cal QSO Party 7-8 Oct 2017
> - www.cqp.org
>
> On 12/16/2016 2:00 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
>> Bill,
>>
>> I think there is a big "NOT" missing from your post.
>> How could Elecraft control and provide support for code of each user's
>> 'invention'.
>> Elecraft support has enough problems with support for the major OS
>> platforms and users who have trouble using those OS platforms - for
>> instance needing Elecraft support to help them with downloading and
>> installing the Utility programs and help in downloading firmware.  Yes,
>> it happens.
>>
>> With open source, it would be chaotic for users who are not "computer
>> smart" and not conversant with computer lingo.
>>
>> 73,
>> Don W3FPR

Re: KX3 utility on RPi

Nr4c
Right. Duh!!!

Sent from my iPhone
...nr4c. bill

> [...]
>>>
>>> The Raspberry Pi is a very hot platform that gets more and more capable with each new board.  Version 3 is quite amazing.  I can hardly tell I'm running on a little ARM box.  It's power is the result of the advances in mobile platforms, so the future for these little computers is very bright.
>>>
>>> Doug -- K0DXV

>>> influence - here it is.  I'm also a programmer and I agree there is extra work involved.  If the utility was open source, then volunteers could join in and manage the tool chain and build. I would certainly be happy to make a contribution.
>>>
>>> The Raspberry Pi is a very hot platform that gets more and more capable with each new board.  Version 3 is quite amazing.  I can hardly tell I'm running on a little ARM box.  It's power is the result of the advances in mobile platforms, so the future for these little computers is very bright.

Ok. I missed the big NOT.

Sent from my iPhone
...nr4c. bill

> On Dec 16, 2016, at 5:41 PM, Fred Jensen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Precisely.  Open source software has its place in situations where the participants are technically qualified.  However, I can't imagine Elecraft tech support attempting to field the multitude of problems reported from multiple platforms, coded by others, many who are anonymous.
>
> I still don't understand the reference to "Elecraft controlling my radio."  The Elecraft utilities are convenient interfaces into all the things I can configure with my Elecraft radios.  The utility does nothing unless I tell it to, and what I tell it is between me and my radios.
>
> 73,
>
> Fred K6DGW
> - Sparks NV DM09dn
>
> - Northern California Contest Club
> - CU in the Cal QSO Party 7-8 Oct 2017
> - www.cqp.org
>
>> On 12/16/2016 2:00 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
>> Bill,
>>
>> I think there is a big "NOT" missing from your post.
>> How could Elecraft control and provide support for code of each user's
>> 'invention'.
>> Elecraft support has enough problems with support for the major OS
>> platforms and users who have trouble using those OS platforms - for
>> instance needing Elecraft support to help them with downloading and
>> installing the Utility programs and help in downloading firmware.  Yes,
>> it happens.
>>
>> With open source, it would be chaotic for users who are not "computer
>> smart" and not conversant with computer lingo.
>>
>> 73,
>> Don W3FPR

Re: KX3 utility on RPi

Brendon Whateley
That is a great idea Niel. The platform is getting used so much for all
manner of things that used to need a "real computer" that it is a shame
that it is not a first-class device.

We can have a bunch of people "in-line" so that Elecraft doesn't run the
risk of the guy leaving. A couple of NDAs, a trip to the HQ, and they could
have a volunteer team to maintain the Pi version for the joy of all.

- Brendon
KK6AYI