KX3 with a random wire for 80 meters

Don Baucom
I am going to work the Ohio QSO party with QRP(I'm in VA)and would like to get on 80. I will be operating from the dining room table by the sliding glass door to the back yard. I'm thinking of either directly hooking a 84 ft and 17 ft counterpoise to the KX3 and running them outside, or using an AT200 Kenwood tuner with a 135 foot wire out into the back yard and a counterpoise hooked to ground of the AT200. What will work best for the KX3. ( I have the built in tuner)

K4YND

Re: KX3 with a random wire for 80 meters

Don Wilhelm
Don,

If your 135 foot radiator is center fed with either coax or parallel
transmission line, it will work well on 80 meters.  If you use parallel
transmission line, it can easily be tuned for other bands as well.

If you are thinking of feeding that 135 foot radiator from the end, in a
word *don't*.  It will have a very high feed impedance and you are not
likely to be able to match it with the KX3 tuner, and the Kenwood AT200
tuner is not likely to match it either - the highest impedance that
tuner will match is 500 ohms and an end fed halfwave antenna will have a
feed impedance of about 4000 ohms.

The 84 foot radiator with a 17 foot counterpoise would be a better
choice, but other lengths will work well too.

If you can manage it, use a balanced, center fed antenna, it is the
easiest to deal with and will result in less RF-in-the-shack.

On 8/24/2016 9:04 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> I am going to work the Ohio QSO party with QRP(I'm in VA)and would like to get on 80. I will be operating from the dining room table by the sliding glass door to the back yard. I'm thinking of either directly hooking a 84 ft and 17 ft counterpoise to the KX3 and running them outside, or using an AT200 Kenwood tuner with a 135 foot wire out into the back yard and a counterpoise hooked to ground of the AT200. What will work best for the KX3. ( I have the built in tuner)

Re: KX3 with a random wire for 80 meters

george allen
We have used some crazy antennas with our KX3s.  N8NCR connected to my random length 100'+ antenna in the front yard, held the KX3 in his hand, no ground, and worked 20mtr SSB dx with 5x7 report.  I used a 60' wire up 10' with  a 50 wire counterpoise on the ground, from Rockville Md., and worked into Fla. and the east coast on 40 at dusk getting good reports.

I suggest that you try different antennas and see what works best for you.

George K2CM, NY
Tioga County/Remote
Broome County base

Sent from my iPad

> On Aug 24, 2016, at 9:04 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> I am going to work the Ohio QSO party with QRP(I'm in VA)and would like to get on 80. I will be operating from the dining room table by the sliding glass door to the back yard. I'm thinking of either directly hooking a 84 ft and 17 ft counterpoise to the KX3 and running them outside, or using an AT200 Kenwood tuner with a 135 foot wire out into the back yard and a counterpoise hooked to ground of the AT200. What will work best for the KX3. ( I have the built in tuner)
>
> K4YND

Re: KX3 with a random wire for 80 meters

Jim Brown-10
On Wed,8/24/2016 7:42 AM, george allen wrote:
> I suggest that you try different antennas and see what works best for you.

I'll make the radical suggestion to study the ARRL Antenna Book, the
ON4UN book, and the antenna chapter in the ARRL Handbook.

Re: KX3 with a random wire for 80 meters

w5sum
I suggest an IDK loop!

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 24, 2016, at 12:01 PM, Jim Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Wed,8/24/2016 7:42 AM, george allen wrote:
>> I suggest that you try different antennas and see what works best for you.
>
> I'll make the radical suggestion to study the ARRL Antenna Book, the ON4UN book, and the antenna chapter in the ARRL Handbook.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

[Off topic] RSGB promotional video link

turnbull
Friends,
    The following is a link to an RSGB promotional video for amateur radio.
It features youth and also has some nice shots of Elecraft radios in use.
To me it is well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x6x_6mDVlQ&feature=youtu.be

                  73 Doug EI2CN