KXBC3 clock drift

Erik Tkal
I’ve had my KX3 for a few months, got it with the KXBC3 charger and clock.  However, the clock seems to lose a couple of minutes per month.  Considering the cost of the option I would expect it to be a little more reliable... :-P

Has anyone else seen this?  Is there an adjustment for drift?

  Thanks and 73,
  Erik Tkal  -  W1QED

Re: KXBC3 clock drift

ve3ibw
I have noticed the same thing.  I was portable and wanted to use the KX3
clock to set my Raspberry Pi's clock I was using for JT65.  I was shocked
at how far afield the KX3 time was.  I fortunately had downloaded a GPS app
to my smartphone that gave me the GPS system time and this was enough to
get me to within a second of the time that most other JT65 users were using
(as sync'ed from time services from the internet).

I too would like to have Elecraft look into the clock drift.

regards,
Brian
VE3IBW

On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 9:40 AM, E T <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I’ve had my KX3 for a few months, got it with the KXBC3 charger and
> clock.  However, the clock seems to lose a couple of minutes per month.
> Considering the cost of the option I would expect it to be a little more
> reliable... :-P
>
> Has anyone else seen this?  Is there an adjustment for drift?
>
>   Thanks and 73,
>   Erik Tkal  -  W1QED

Brian
VE3IBW

Re: KXBC3 clock drift

kevino z
Wish the KX3 had an actual GPS add on board. It could grab the time, as well as use the PPS for other things.
-Kevin (KK4YEL)

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced !

> On Aug 28, 2016, at 09:48, Brian Waterworth <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have noticed the same thing.  I was portable and wanted to use the KX3
> clock to set my Raspberry Pi's clock I was using for JT65.  I was shocked
> at how far afield the KX3 time was.  I fortunately had downloaded a GPS app
> to my smartphone that gave me the GPS system time and this was enough to
> get me to within a second of the time that most other JT65 users were using
> (as sync'ed from time services from the internet).
>
> I too would like to have Elecraft look into the clock drift.
>
> regards,
> Brian
> VE3IBW
>
>> On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 9:40 AM, E T <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I’ve had my KX3 for a few months, got it with the KXBC3 charger and
>> clock.  However, the clock seems to lose a couple of minutes per month.
>> Considering the cost of the option I would expect it to be a little more
>> reliable... :-P
>>
>> Has anyone else seen this?  Is there an adjustment for drift?
>>
>>  Thanks and 73,
>>  Erik Tkal  -  W1QED

Re: KXBC3 clock drift

Clay Autery
Mmmm... not JUST the KX3!  <drooling at the thought of an ONBOARD GPSDO
w/PPS INSIDE the K3s>

______________________
Clay Autery, KY5G
MONTAC Enterprises
(318) 518-1389

On 8/28/2016 8:52 AM, kevino z wrote:

> Wish the KX3 had an actual GPS add on board. It could grab the time, as well as use the PPS for other things.
> -Kevin (KK4YEL)
>
> No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced !
>
>> On Aug 28, 2016, at 09:48, Brian Waterworth <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I have noticed the same thing.  I was portable and wanted to use the KX3
>> clock to set my Raspberry Pi's clock I was using for JT65.  I was shocked
>> at how far afield the KX3 time was.  I fortunately had downloaded a GPS app
>> to my smartphone that gave me the GPS system time and this was enough to
>> get me to within a second of the time that most other JT65 users were using
>> (as sync'ed from time services from the internet).
>>
>> I too would like to have Elecraft look into the clock drift.
>>
>> regards,
>> Brian
>> VE3IBW
>>
>>> On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 9:40 AM, E T <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I’ve had my KX3 for a few months, got it with the KXBC3 charger and
>>> clock.  However, the clock seems to lose a couple of minutes per month.
>>> Considering the cost of the option I would expect it to be a little more
>>> reliable... :-P
>>>
>>> Has anyone else seen this?  Is there an adjustment for drift?
>>>
>>>  Thanks and 73,
>>>  Erik Tkal  -  W1QED

>>> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: KXBC3 clock drift

Don Wilhelm
I would like an icebox in my KX3 to keep my sandwiches cool while portable.
Oh, and how about an automatic coffee maker for use during contest
periods. :-)

On 8/28/2016 10:01 AM, Clay Autery wrote:
> Mmmm... not JUST the KX3!  <drooling at the thought of an ONBOARD GPSDO
> w/PPS INSIDE the K3s>

Re: KXBC3 clock drift

Phil Wheeler-2
Maybe just buy a $15 wristwatch with a 10 year
battery made by Casio and set it every week or so
? :-)

Phil W7OX

On 8/28/16 7:19 AM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> I would like an icebox in my KX3 to keep my
> sandwiches cool while portable.
> Oh, and how about an automatic coffee maker for
> use during contest periods. :-)

> On 8/28/2016 10:01 AM, Clay Autery wrote:
>> Mmmm... not JUST the KX3!  <drooling at the
>> thought of an ONBOARD GPSDO
>> w/PPS INSIDE the K3s>

Re: KXBC3 clock drift

Ken G Kopp
Virtually everyone has cellphone at hand and it will provide the most
accurate time commonly available.

73!

K0PP

Re: KXBC3 clock drift

Mike Morrow-3

> I would like an icebox in my KX3 to keep my sandwiches cool while portable.
> Oh, and how about an automatic coffee maker for use during contest
> periods. :-)

I would be suprised that even as a joke the listing above could win any arguments for the extraordinary lack of performance of Elecraft RTCs.  A $5 watch does better by orders of magnitude...even the Dallas Semiconductor RTC in 30-year-old Kantronics hardware does better.  The manufacturer specs for all the Elecraft RTC chips promise much better.  Unlike the items in the quoted listing, a customer does indeed have every right to expect a competent RTC implementation when he purchases the option.  No???

Elecraft fans often have a great tendency to dismiss without substantive basis any non-worshipful criticism...at least as far as I've observed in 16 years as an owner and list member.  :-)

Mike / KK5F

Re: KXBC3 clock drift

Wes Stewart-2
QSL

On 8/28/2016 7:55 AM, Mike Morrow wrote:
> Elecraft fans often have a great tendency to dismiss without substantive basis
> any non-worshipful criticism...at least as far as I've observed in 16 years as
> an owner and list member. :-)
> Mike / KK5F

Re: KXBC3 clock drift

Raymond Sills
OTOH, many criticisms have resulted in improvements in the products.  Wayne and Eric are quite capable of tolerating criticism, so owners are more than welcome to point out any deficiency or problem.  That’s why people like Elecraft products: having the ear of the company.

73 de Ray
K2ULR
KX3 #211

> On Aug 28, 2016, at 11:06 AM, Wes Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> QSL
>
> On 8/28/2016 7:55 AM, Mike Morrow wrote:
>> Elecraft fans often have a great tendency to dismiss without substantive basis any non-worshipful criticism...at least as far as I've observed in 16 years as an owner and list member. :-)
>> Mike / KK5F

Re: KXBC3 clock drift

Phil Wheeler-2
I think you overreact a bit, Mike. I can criticize
Elecraft with the best of them if a product does
not do as promised. But nowhere in any spec or
promise have I seen highly accurate time-keeping
-- but perhaps my reading skills fail me with age.

In my shack I have a large LaCrosse clock, updated
nightly by WWVH or some such: $35 or so on line.
On my wrist I often wear a Casio wristwatch with
similar capabilities (NOT in that price range).

I prefer Elecraft to focus on what they do best,
not capabilities I can obtain elsewhere at very
reasonable cost.

73, Phil W7OX

On 8/28/16 7:55 AM, Mike Morrow wrote:
> Elecraft fans often have a great tendency to dismiss without substantive basis any non-worshipful criticism...at least as far as I've observed in 16 years as an owner and list member.  :-)
>
> Mike / KK5F

Re: KXBC3 clock drift

Re:  "...the clock seems to lose a couple of minutes per month."

I didn't buy the KXBC3 for the clock, and I don't expect it to automatically sync with WWV or GPS, but mine seems to be sensitive to applied voltage:

If I leave 14v applied to my KX3, it gains a few seconds per day, probably not far off what yours loses,  Erik.  If l remove the 14v supply and store the KX3 in my day pack for a week or more, it will be an hour or more off next time I check it.  I can't remember if it gains or loses though.  I need to quantify that a bit better.

It works, but certainly isn't up to the level of performance we usually see from Elecraft.

Mark
KE6BB

Re: KXBC3 clock drift

Grant Youngman-2

> Re:  "...the clock seems to lose a couple of minutes per month.”

You know a radio must be pretty good when the complaints start drifting off to how accurate (or not) it is as a timepiece ;-)

Grant NQ5T

Re: KXBC3 clock drift

Clay Autery
So you think an onboard GPS is absurd, Don?

We can dream...  we can dream.  :-)

______________________
Clay Autery, KY5G
MONTAC Enterprises
(318) 518-1389

On 8/28/2016 9:19 AM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> I would like an icebox in my KX3 to keep my sandwiches cool while
> portable.
> Oh, and how about an automatic coffee maker for use during contest
> periods. :-)

> On 8/28/2016 10:01 AM, Clay Autery wrote:
>> Mmmm... not JUST the KX3!  <drooling at the thought of an ONBOARD GPSDO
>> w/PPS INSIDE the K3s>

Re: KXBC3 clock drift

Clay Autery
OK Ken...  How do you propose to get that "uber-accurate" time from the
cell phone into the radio?

______________________
Clay Autery, KY5G
MONTAC Enterprises
(318) 518-1389

On 8/28/2016 9:34 AM, Ken G Kopp wrote:

> Virtually everyone has cellphone at hand and it will provide the most
> accurate time commonly available.
>
> 73!
>
> K0PP

Re: KXBC3 clock drift & On-Board GPS

Phil Wheeler-2
As a matter of curiosity because I've not looked
into it: Are there any ham transceivers with
on-board GPS receivers?

Phil W7OX

On 8/28/16 9:58 AM, Clay Autery wrote:

> So you think an onboard GPS is absurd, Don?
>
> We can dream...  we can dream.  :-)
>
> ______________________
> Clay Autery, KY5G
> MONTAC Enterprises
> (318) 518-1389
>
> On 8/28/2016 9:19 AM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
>> I would like an icebox in my KX3 to keep my sandwiches cool while
>> portable.
>> Oh, and how about an automatic coffee maker for use during contest
>> periods. :-)
>>
>> 73,
>> Don W3FPR
>>
>> On 8/28/2016 10:01 AM, Clay Autery wrote:
>>> Mmmm... not JUST the KX3!  <drooling at the thought of an ONBOARD GPSDO
>>> w/PPS INSIDE the K3s>

Re: KXBC3 clock drift & On-Board GPS

Peter Pauly
Flexradio offers a GPSDO option for their receivers. It's made by Jackson
Labs (and it isn't cheap):

http://cart.flexradio.com/FLEX-65006700-GPSDO-Upgrade_p_899.html

It's internal to the radio.

On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 1:06 PM, Phil Wheeler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As a matter of curiosity because I've not looked into it: Are there any
> ham transceivers with on-board GPS receivers?
>
> Phil W7OX
>
> On 8/28/16 9:58 AM, Clay Autery wrote:
>
>> So you think an onboard GPS is absurd, Don?
>>
>> We can dream...  we can dream.  :-)
>>
>> ______________________
>> Clay Autery, KY5G
>> MONTAC Enterprises
>> (318) 518-1389
>>
>> On 8/28/2016 9:19 AM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
>>
>>> I would like an icebox in my KX3 to keep my sandwiches cool while
>>> portable.
>>> Oh, and how about an automatic coffee maker for use during contest
>>> periods. :-)
>>>
>>> 73,
>>> Don W3FPR

Re: KXBC3 clock drift

Phil Hystad-3
Ditto!

Well, actually, I did once have an accurate (for its day) clock on my receiver, my HQ-170AC, back in or about 1964 to 1967.  Being run by a synchronous motor, the local power company had the job of keeping my clock accurate (feature of AGC controlling ACE and Frequency).

But, today, in my opinion of course, a clock on a radio is a feature that I would exchange for a half dozen or more other features better suited to using the radio itself.  Yes, there is a clock feature on my K3 and it is very thoroughly ignored by me.

73, phil, K7PEH

> On Aug 28, 2016, at 8:21 AM, Phil Wheeler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I think you overreact a bit, Mike. I can criticize Elecraft with the best of them if a product does not do as promised. But nowhere in any spec or promise have I seen highly accurate time-keeping -- but perhaps my reading skills fail me with age.
>
> In my shack I have a large LaCrosse clock, updated nightly by WWVH or some such: $35 or so on line. On my wrist I often wear a Casio wristwatch with similar capabilities (NOT in that price range).
>
> I prefer Elecraft to focus on what they do best, not capabilities I can obtain elsewhere at very reasonable cost.
>
> 73, Phil W7OX
>
> On 8/28/16 7:55 AM, Mike Morrow wrote:
>> Elecraft fans often have a great tendency to dismiss without substantive basis any non-worshipful criticism...at least as far as I've observed in 16 years as an owner and list member.  :-)
>>
>> Mike / KK5F

KXBC3 Clock Drift

Edward A. Dauer
Doesn’t the K3 Utility have a one-click process for setting the K3’s on-board clock time to UTC Internet time?  It doesn’t make the clock any more accurate, but it does offer a way of resetting without getting into the configuration menu.  As I recall it’s in the KX3 Utility as well.

Ted, KN1CBR

------------------------------

    Message: 9

Re: KXBC3 clock drift

Rose
No need ... my eyes can view a cellphone as easily as on a radio's display
... maybe easier / quicker if I have to call it up into the  display.
(Mine has about a half inch high display.)

That's assuming that the name of the game is simply knowing what time it
is, as opposed to "playing" with a radio's features......

73

K0PP