KXPA100 AMP and KXAT100 ATU pics and info

KXPA100 AMP and KXAT100 ATU pics and info

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ
Administrator

KXPA100 amplifier pics from today's @elecraft twitter post can be seen
at the following links:
http://t.co/uP2G3nOaxb
http://t.co/LycW6pQ0BO
http://t.co/VQEwu8EZSh

KXPA100 quick info:

- 100 W Output on all bands, 160 m to 6 m; 4 W Input for 100W Out typical
- Modern Design with MOSFET Output Stage
- Solid State diode T/R Switching — supreme fast and silent T/R and QSK
- 13.8V nominal DC Powered. No moving parts (no fan required)
- One RF input, 1 or 2 ANT outputs. (2nd ANT output with internal ATU
option.)
- LED Bar-graphs for power, status and SWR (with the internal ATU option).
- KXPA100 works with any rig with just AMP KEY and RF. The internal freq
counter auto band switches.
- The KXPA100 Integrates Seamlessly with the KX3, but also functions
with all QRP transceivers up to 10W of output.
- Dedicated KX3 interface with band data communicates between the KX3
and Amp.
- Pre-drive band data switching, while not required, also supports many
rigs, including the Yaesu FT-817, and Icom IC-703. (Ask us for details)
- Double APP power connectors both for additional friction fit in mobile
apps and for optional daisy chaining of KX3 13.8V power.
- The rugged KXAT100 Internal integrated ATU handles a 10:1 SWR range on
most bands with Elecraft's proven high performance fast matching algorithm.
- ATU settings, once tuned, are remembered per band, per band segment,
and per antenna.

This is pre-release information. We are not yet offering the KPA100 for
sale and we can not take orders until the final FCC certification is
received. Basically we perform the amp testing at a local test lab and
in our lab and submit the data to the FCC. (Harmonic cleanliness,
Amplifier max gain <15 dB, Blocking of the CB band etc.) This is usually
a fairly quick process based on our experience getting the FCC
certification for the KPA500.

We'll have more info on the web site news page shortly. (It shows up on
twitter first due to the simplicity and quickness of posting there.)

73,

Eric
elecraft.com

Re: KXPA100 AMP and KXAT100 ATU pics and info

Jim Rhodes-2
I think this is called "baiting the hook". Can't wait!

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 8:27 PM, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> KXPA100 amplifier pics from today's @elecraft twitter post can be seen at
> the following links:
> http://t.co/uP2G3nOaxb
> http://t.co/LycW6pQ0BO
> http://t.co/VQEwu8EZSh
>
> KXPA100 quick info:
>
> - 100 W Output on all bands, 160 m to 6 m; 4 W Input for 100W Out typical
> - Modern Design with MOSFET Output Stage
> - Solid State diode T/R Switching — supreme fast and silent T/R and QSK
> - 13.8V nominal DC Powered. No moving parts (no fan required)
> - One RF input, 1 or 2 ANT outputs. (2nd ANT output with internal ATU
> option.)
> - LED Bar-graphs for power, status and SWR (with the internal ATU option).
> - KXPA100 works with any rig with just AMP KEY and RF. The internal freq
> counter auto band switches.
> - The KXPA100 Integrates Seamlessly with the KX3, but also functions with
> all QRP transceivers up to 10W of output.
> - Dedicated KX3 interface with band data communicates between the KX3 and
> Amp.
> - Pre-drive band data switching, while not required, also supports many
> rigs, including the Yaesu FT-817, and Icom IC-703. (Ask us for details)
> - Double APP power connectors both for additional friction fit in mobile
> apps and for optional daisy chaining of KX3 13.8V power.
> - The rugged KXAT100 Internal integrated ATU handles a 10:1 SWR range on
> most bands with Elecraft's proven high performance fast matching algorithm.
> - ATU settings, once tuned, are remembered per band, per band segment, and
> per antenna.
>
> This is pre-release information. We are not yet offering the KPA100 for
> sale and we can not take orders until the final FCC certification is
> received. Basically we perform the amp testing at a local test lab and in
> our lab and submit the data to the FCC. (Harmonic cleanliness, Amplifier
> max gain <15 dB, Blocking of the CB band etc.) This is usually a fairly
> quick process based on our experience getting the FCC certification for the
> KPA500.
>
> We'll have more info on the web site news page shortly. (It shows up on
> twitter first due to the simplicity and quickness of posting there.)
>
> 73,
>
> Eric
> elecraft.com

> Post: mailto:[hidden email].**net <[hidden email]>

Jim K0XU

Re: KXPA100 AMP and KXAT100 ATU pics and info

Kevin Luxford
As we say down here in upside - down world, "built like a brick outhouse"
73
Kevin
VK3DAP / ZL2DAP

Re: KXPA100 AMP and KXAT100 ATU pics and info

KC6CNN
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: KXPA100 AMP and KXAT100 ATU pics and info

George Cortez Jr

Must Have.... will there be a pre release
sign up for order information like has been done in the past?

George NE2I

On Apr 24, 2013, at 9:27 PM, "Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> KXPA100 amplifier pics from today's @elecraft twitter post can be seen at the following links:
> http://t.co/uP2G3nOaxb
> http://t.co/LycW6pQ0BO
> http://t.co/VQEwu8EZSh
>
> KXPA100 quick info:
>
> - 100 W Output on all bands, 160 m to 6 m; 4 W Input for 100W Out typical
> - Modern Design with MOSFET Output Stage
> - Solid State diode T/R Switching — supreme fast and silent T/R and QSK
> - 13.8V nominal DC Powered. No moving parts (no fan required)
> - One RF input, 1 or 2 ANT outputs. (2nd ANT output with internal ATU option.)
> - LED Bar-graphs for power, status and SWR (with the internal ATU option).
> - KXPA100 works with any rig with just AMP KEY and RF. The internal freq counter auto band switches.
> - The KXPA100 Integrates Seamlessly with the KX3, but also functions with all QRP transceivers up to 10W of output.
> - Dedicated KX3 interface with band data communicates between the KX3 and Amp.
> - Pre-drive band data switching, while not required, also supports many rigs, including the Yaesu FT-817, and Icom IC-703. (Ask us for details)
> - Double APP power connectors both for additional friction fit in mobile apps and for optional daisy chaining of KX3 13.8V power.
> - The rugged KXAT100 Internal integrated ATU handles a 10:1 SWR range on most bands with Elecraft's proven high performance fast matching algorithm.
> - ATU settings, once tuned, are remembered per band, per band segment, and per antenna.
>
> This is pre-release information. We are not yet offering the KPA100 for sale and we can not take orders until the final FCC certification is received. Basically we perform the amp testing at a local test lab and in our lab and submit the data to the FCC. (Harmonic cleanliness, Amplifier max gain <15 dB, Blocking of the CB band etc.) This is usually a fairly quick process based on our experience getting the FCC certification for the KPA500.
>
> We'll have more info on the web site news page shortly. (It shows up on twitter first due to the simplicity and quickness of posting there.)
>
> 73,
>
> Eric
> elecraft.com

Re: KXPA100 AMP and KXAT100 ATU pics and info

riese-k3djc

Its actually P O O P

People Order Our Products

Bob K3DJC

:

> As we say down here in upside - down world, "built like a brick
> outhouse"
> 73
> Kevin
> VK3DAP / ZL2DAP

Re: KXPA100 AMP and KXAT100 ATU pics and info

N0AZZ
Eric

Thanks for the report had been looking forward to hearing about both items
from you. Can you give us an ballpark idea on a price for the amp/tuner
combo please?

73,
Fred/N0AZZ
K3 Ser #'s 6730/5299--KX3 # 2573--K2/100--KAT100
P3/SVGA--KPA500--KAT500--W2

[...]

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: KXPA100 AMP and KXAT100 ATU pics and info

Millerhill
Droolfest 2013

On Apr 25, 2013, at 11:03 AM, Walter Underwood wrote:

> I'm sure this list will be the first to know the price when they can tell us. Posting that much info without a price is a big hint that they are not releasing the price yet. Patience.
>
> wunder
> K6WRU
>
> On Apr 25, 2013, at 12:29 AM, Fred Smith wrote:
>
>> Eric
>>
>> Thanks for the report had been looking forward to hearing about both items
>> from you. Can you give us an ballpark idea on a price for the amp/tuner
>> combo please?
>>

>> 73,
>> Fred/N0AZZ
>> K3 Ser #'s 6730/5299--KX3 # 2573--K2/100--KAT100
>> P3/SVGA--KPA500--KAT500--W2

Eugene Balinski
Please publish a preorder link when available for those
(few?) of us still with out a Twitter Account.  : - )

73 es thanks,
Gene K1NR

On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 21:50:33 -0400
 George Cortez Jr <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Must Have.... will there be a pre release
> sign up for order information like has been done in the
> past?
>
> George NE2I
>
> On Apr 24, 2013, at 9:27 PM, "Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ,
> Elecraft" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > KXPA100 amplifier pics from today's @elecraft twitter
> post can be seen at the following links:
> > http://t.co/uP2G3nOaxb
> > http://t.co/LycW6pQ0BO
> > http://t.co/VQEwu8EZSh
> >
> > KXPA100 quick info:
> >
> > - 100 W Output on all bands, 160 m to 6 m; 4 W Input
> for 100W Out typical
> > - Modern Design with MOSFET Output Stage
> > - Solid State diode T/R Switching — supreme fast and
> silent T/R and QSK
> > - 13.8V nominal DC Powered. No moving parts (no fan
> required)
> > - One RF input, 1 or 2 ANT outputs. (2nd ANT output
> with internal ATU option.)
> > - LED Bar-graphs for power, status and SWR (with the
> internal ATU option).
> > - KXPA100 works with any rig with just AMP KEY and RF.
> The internal freq counter auto band switches.
> > - The KXPA100 Integrates Seamlessly with the KX3, but
> also functions with all QRP transceivers up to 10W of
> output.
> > - Dedicated KX3 interface with band data communicates
> between the KX3 and Amp.
> > - Pre-drive band data switching, while not required,
> also supports many rigs, including the Yaesu FT-817, and
> Icom IC-703. (Ask us for details)
> > - Double APP power connectors both for additional
> friction fit in mobile apps and for optional daisy
> chaining of KX3 13.8V power.
> > - The rugged KXAT100 Internal integrated ATU handles a
> 10:1 SWR range on most bands with Elecraft's proven high
> performance fast matching algorithm.
> > - ATU settings, once tuned, are remembered per band,
> per band segment, and per antenna.
> >
> > This is pre-release information. We are not yet
> offering the KPA100 for sale and we can not take orders
> until the final FCC certification is received. Basically
> we perform the amp testing at a local test lab and in our
> lab and submit the data to the FCC. (Harmonic
> cleanliness, Amplifier max gain <15 dB, Blocking of the
> CB band etc.) This is usually a fairly quick process
> based on our experience getting the FCC certification for
> the KPA500.
> >
> > We'll have more info on the web site news page shortly.
> (It shows up on twitter first due to the simplicity and
> quickness of posting there.)
> >
> > 73,
> >
> > Eric
> > elecraft.com

> > Please help support this email list:
> http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

> Please help support this email list:
> http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: KXPA100 AMP and KXAT100 ATU pics and info

chrisrut
On Thu, 25 Apr 2013 08:03:19 -0700 K6WRU wrote:

"I'm sure this list will be the first to know the price when they can tell
us. Posting that much info without a price is a big hint that they are not
releasing the price yet. Patience."

I believe suggesting even a ballpark price could/would be construed as
"selling" the product prior to receiving FCC approval.

So, yes, patience. Or as my dad put it: "Patience is a virtue preached by
many and practiced by few."

73, Chris NW6V

Re: KXPA100 AMP and KXAT100 ATU pics and info

AD6XY
Looks very nice  - Does it work with the K3/10?

Re: KXPA100 AMP and KXAT100 ATU pics and info

Dennis Moore
 From Eric's post: "but also functions with all QRP transceivers up to
10W of output. "

73, Dennis NJ6G

On 4/25/2013 9:35 AM, AD6XY wrote:
> Looks very nice  - Does it work with the K3/10?

Re: KXPA100 AMP and KXAT100 ATU pics and info

Bill Frantz
I asked specifically at Visalia. There is currently no special
support for the K3/10, but it will work as a generic QRP transceiver.

Cheers - Bill, AE6JV

On 4/25/13 at 10:02 AM, [hidden email] (Dennis Moore) wrote:

>From Eric's post: "but also functions with all QRP transceivers up to 10W of output. "
>
>73, Dennis NJ6G
>
>On 4/25/2013 9:35 AM, AD6XY wrote:
>>Looks very nice  - Does it work with the K3/10?

Re: KXPA100 AMP and KXAT100 ATU pics and info

Jim Brown-10
On 4/25/2013 12:59 PM, Bill Frantz wrote:
> I asked specifically at Visalia. There is currently no special support
> for the K3/10, but it will work as a generic QRP transceiver.

I think you mean that it will work WITH any generic QRP rig. :)

 From what I see in Eric's email, it's the same concept as the KPA500 --
although it's specifically integrated with the K3, it works with any rig
that can give it a keying signal and the right RF drive level. It does
not need band data, it DETECTS what you're sending it and switches to
the right band. All you need is the KEY line to put it in TX mode
(that's an FCC requirement) and give it 4W drive to get 100W out.
That's 14dB power gain, which, I believe, is also the FCC limit.

Re: KXPA100 AMP and KXAT100 ATU pics and info

EricJ-2
Just curious why the FCC has a 15 dB limit on power gain on all
amplifiers. Is it related to the CB issue or is that sufficiently
addressed in the 0dB gain for 26-28 mhz?

I've been QRP for the last 20 years (except mobile), and anticipating a
KXP100 for mobile use.

Eric
KE6US

On 4/25/2013 2:25 PM, EricJ wrote:
> Just curious why the FCC has a 15 dB limit on power gain on all
> amplifiers. Is it related to the CB issue

Yes

Re: KXPA100 AMP and KXAT100 ATU pics and info

Jeff Herr
Are BNC connectors a possibility?

Re: KXPA100 AMP and KXAT100 ATU pics and info

Rick Dettinger-3
Morse Express sells SO-239 to BNC Conversion Kits.  They are just metal plates the same size as the SO-239 jacks.  They have the same 4 holes and are punched for an included BNC panel jack.
I have used them to convert my non Elecraft QRP kits and OHR watt meter.  But, I had thought that BNC was only for QRP power levels.  Elecraft uses SO-239 for their 100 watt kits that I have bought.

73,
Rick Dettinger  K7MW

On Apr 25, 2013, at 8:09 PM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:

> They are my favorite for anything under 1000 watts on HF too. Of course
> there are screw-on adapters for the SO-239 "UHF" connectors.
>
> 73 Ron AC7AC

Re: KXPA100 AMP and KXAT100 ATU pics and info

Chuck Shefflette
I used the OHR connector kits in both my K3s, turning a no-solder kit into a very little solder kit. I keep adapters around for those times I don't or can't change the UHF connectors to BNC or N, but I swap the UHF anytime I can. BNC and N connectors have two additional attributes (beyond being real 50 ohm connectors) that are beneficial: they are relatively weatherproof if properly assembled, and the ground makes contact before the center conductor.

Just my $0.02

73,
Chuck, AA3CS

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 26, 2013, at 0:44, Walter Underwood <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Oak Hills Research sells a similar BNC bulkhead connector that fits in a UHF hole.
>
> http://www.ohr.com/parts.htm

73 - Chuck, AA3CS

Re: KXPA100 AMP and KXAT100 ATU pics and info

DaveL  G3TJP
I'm feeling particularly IQ-zero at the moment, because I've searched and
searched but can't find these doggone pictures of the KXPA100 amp that so
many posts have referred to.  Will some kind soul please put me out of my
misery with a URL or two.  Thanks.

Doh!

73 Dave G3TJP