KXPA100 RS-232 problem

Thomas Beltran
I have read some emails concerning the RS-232 connector on the KXPA100's
back panel not working with software applications that need the rig's data,
but I did not see any resolution.  In my case, I just set up a ciro mazzoni
midi loop.  This loop will follow the radio's frequency, getting data from
the rig.  Unfortunately, the loop's control box only works automatically
when the the RS-232 connector from the control box is hooked directly to the
KX3's side panel, meaning I can only run 10 watts.  BTW, there is a slight
delay in setting the frequency, but loop works pretty nicely.  However, it
will not work when plugged into the RS-232 connector on the KXPA100's back
panel.    If it makes any difference, the loop control box uses a DB9, so I
am using the KXSER (3.5mm to DB9-F) Cable.  Hopefully, someone on this list
has not only encountered this problem but has a remedy.  Thanks in advance.
Tom W2CRN

Re: KXPA100 RS-232 problem

Dick Dievendorff-4
The problem has often been RS232 speed on the kx3 being different from that set in the amp. The KXPA utility will tell you the speed it connects with. Try 38400 bits/s.

Dick, K6KR

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 4, 2016, at 13:37, Thomas Beltran <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have read some emails concerning the RS-232 connector on the KXPA100's
> back panel not working with software applications that need the rig's data,
> but I did not see any resolution.  In my case, I just set up a ciro mazzoni
> midi loop.  This loop will follow the radio's frequency, getting data from
> the rig.  Unfortunately, the loop's control box only works automatically
> when the the RS-232 connector from the control box is hooked directly to the
> KX3's side panel, meaning I can only run 10 watts.  BTW, there is a slight
> delay in setting the frequency, but loop works pretty nicely.  However, it
> will not work when plugged into the RS-232 connector on the KXPA100's back
> panel.    If it makes any difference, the loop control box uses a DB9, so I
> am using the KXSER (3.5mm to DB9-F) Cable.  Hopefully, someone on this list
> has not only encountered this problem but has a remedy.  Thanks in advance.
> Tom W2CRN

Re: KXPA100 RS-232 problem

Tom,

Do you have the KX3 to KXPA100 adapter cable plugged as indicated on
page 14 of the KXPA100 manual?  If so, make certain the RJ-45 plugs are
fully inserted - you should hear a slight click when they are fully
mated.  If there is any doubt about them seating, pull back the boot on
the RJ-45 cable end and push the inside connector body "home".

On 11/4/2016 9:37 AM, Thomas Beltran wrote:

> I have read some emails concerning the RS-232 connector on the KXPA100's
> back panel not working with software applications that need the rig's data,
> but I did not see any resolution.  In my case, I just set up a ciro mazzoni
> midi loop.  This loop will follow the radio's frequency, getting data from
> the rig.  Unfortunately, the loop's control box only works automatically
> when the the RS-232 connector from the control box is hooked directly to the
> KX3's side panel, meaning I can only run 10 watts.  BTW, there is a slight
> delay in setting the frequency, but loop works pretty nicely.  However, it
> will not work when plugged into the RS-232 connector on the KXPA100's back
> panel.    If it makes any difference, the loop control box uses a DB9, so I
> am using the KXSER (3.5mm to DB9-F) Cable.  Hopefully, someone on this list
> has not only encountered this problem but has a remedy.  Thanks in advance.
> Tom W2CRN

Re: KXPA100 RS-232 problem

John Pitz
It is likely a RS232 speed issue like Dick Dievendorff said.  Something
else you may want to do is change the KX3 baud rate to match the
KXPA100.  The KXPA100 doesn't care what the baud rate of the KX3 is and
will auto detect it.  This way you will be able to seamlessly use the
KX3 by itself if for some reason you don't want or need the amp.

On Fri, 2016-11-04 at 06:37 -0700, Thomas Beltran wrote:

> I have read some emails concerning the RS-232 connector on the KXPA100's
> back panel not working with software applications that need the rig's data,
> but I did not see any resolution.  In my case, I just set up a ciro mazzoni
> midi loop.  This loop will follow the radio's frequency, getting data from
> the rig.  Unfortunately, the loop's control box only works automatically
> when the the RS-232 connector from the control box is hooked directly to the
> KX3's side panel, meaning I can only run 10 watts.  BTW, there is a slight
> delay in setting the frequency, but loop works pretty nicely.  However, it
> will not work when plugged into the RS-232 connector on the KXPA100's back
> panel.    If it makes any difference, the loop control box uses a DB9, so I
> am using the KXSER (3.5mm to DB9-F) Cable.  Hopefully, someone on this list
> has not only encountered this problem but has a remedy.  Thanks in advance.
> Tom W2CRN

Re: KXPA100 RS-232 problem

Thomas Beltran
Hello John and thanks.  Should I figure out what the baud rate of the kx3 is
(since that works) and then set the kxpa100 to match?

It is likely a RS232 speed issue like Dick Dievendorff said.  Something else
you may want to do is change the KX3 baud rate to match the KXPA100.  The
KXPA100 doesn't care what the baud rate of the KX3 is and will auto detect
it.  This way you will be able to seamlessly use the
KX3 by itself if for some reason you don't want or need the amp.

On Fri, 2016-11-04 at 06:37 -0700, Thomas Beltran wrote:

> I have read some emails concerning the RS-232 connector on the
> KXPA100's back panel not working with software applications that need
> the rig's data, but I did not see any resolution.  In my case, I just
> set up a ciro mazzoni midi loop.  This loop will follow the radio's
> frequency, getting data from the rig.  Unfortunately, the loop's
> control box only works automatically when the the RS-232 connector
> from the control box is hooked directly to the KX3's side panel,
> meaning I can only run 10 watts.  BTW, there is a slight delay in
> setting the frequency, but loop works pretty nicely.  However, it will not
work when plugged into the RS-232 connector on the KXPA100's back
> panel.    If it makes any difference, the loop control box uses a DB9, so
> am using the KXSER (3.5mm to DB9-F) Cable.  Hopefully, someone on this
> list has not only encountered this problem but has a remedy.  Thanks in
advance.

> Tom W2CRN

> list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to

Re: KXPA100 RS-232 problem

Don Wilhelm
Tom,

If it were not for the addition of your loop control box, you would set
both the KXPA100 and the KX3 to the 38.4 rate.
But take a look at the baud rate requirements for your loop control box.
  If it will handle 38.4k, then all is well, but if it requires a lesser
baud rate, set both the KX3 and the KXPA100 to that baud rate.

On 11/4/2016 10:34 AM, Thomas Beltran wrote:

> Hello John and thanks.  Should I figure out what the baud rate of the kx3 is
> (since that works) and then set the kxpa100 to match?

Hi Dick John and Don and thank you.  I checked everything and it was good.
I realized the KXPA100 did not have the current firmware, so I attempted to
upgrade it.  The upgrade failed, and now the utility cannot even connect to
the  KXPA100.  I tried a different computer and same result.  For now, I
just unhooked the KXPA100, and I am able to drive my SG-500 to about 200
watts with the KX3 alone.  I will have to revisit the amp problem.  However,
right now, I just received the loop and wanted to make sure it works.  Thank
you for your reponses.  Later, I will try to communicate with the KXPA100
alone and see what I can find out.  Thank you.

Do you have the KX3 to KXPA100 adapter cable plugged as indicated on page 14
of the KXPA100 manual?  If so, make certain the RJ-45 plugs are fully
inserted - you should hear a slight click when they are fully mated.  If
there is any doubt about them seating, pull back the boot on the RJ-45 cable
end and push the inside connector body "home".

On 11/4/2016 9:37 AM, Thomas Beltran wrote:
> I have read some emails concerning the RS-232 connector on the KXPA100's
> back panel not working with software applications that need the rig's
data,
> but I did not see any resolution.  In my case, I just set up a ciro
mazzoni
> midi loop.  This loop will follow the radio's frequency, getting data from
> the rig.  Unfortunately, the loop's control box only works automatically
> when the the RS-232 connector from the control box is hooked directly to
the
> KX3's side panel, meaning I can only run 10 watts.  BTW, there is a slight
> delay in setting the frequency, but loop works pretty nicely.  However, it
> will not work when plugged into the RS-232 connector on the KXPA100's back
> panel.    If it makes any difference, the loop control box uses a DB9, so
> am using the KXSER (3.5mm to DB9-F) Cable.  Hopefully, someone on this
list
> has not only encountered this problem but has a remedy.  Thanks in
advance.
> Tom W2CRN

Re: KXPA100 RS-232 problem

Thomas Beltran
I was able to get the KXPA100 running again.  It seems that the firmware had
partial installed but then stopped.  So, I tried it on yet a third computer,
and was able to install the firmware.  This was done with the amp only.  The
baud rate, according to the utility program was 38400.  Then, hooked up
everthing (KX3, amp, and loop controller), and tried each of the baud rates
in the KX3 menus.  No luck.  Looking at the programmer's reference, it looks
like one can change the KXPA100's PC baud rate with the ^BRP command,
however, I am not sure how it is actually done.   Tom

Do you have the KX3 to KXPA100 adapter cable plugged as indicated on page 14
of the KXPA100 manual?  If so, make certain the RJ-45 plugs are fully
inserted - you should hear a slight click when they are fully mated.  If
there is any doubt about them seating, pull back the boot on the RJ-45 cable
end and push the inside connector body "home".

On 11/4/2016 9:37 AM, Thomas Beltran wrote:
> I have read some emails concerning the RS-232 connector on the
> KXPA100's back panel not working with software applications that need
> the rig's
data,
> but I did not see any resolution.  In my case, I just set up a ciro
mazzoni
> midi loop.  This loop will follow the radio's frequency, getting data
> from the rig.  Unfortunately, the loop's control box only works
> automatically when the the RS-232 connector from the control box is
> hooked directly to
the
> KX3's side panel, meaning I can only run 10 watts.  BTW, there is a
> slight delay in setting the frequency, but loop works pretty nicely.
> However, it will not work when plugged into the RS-232 connector on the
KXPA100's back
> panel.    If it makes any difference, the loop control box uses a DB9, so
> am using the KXSER (3.5mm to DB9-F) Cable.  Hopefully, someone on this
list
> has not only encountered this problem but has a remedy.  Thanks in
advance.
> Tom W2CRN

Re: KXPA100 RS-232 problem

Thomas Beltran
Thanks Dick, John and Don - I plugged the Loop control directly to the KX3,
and tried the different baud rates - the control only works on 4800.  In
other reading, it seems that when the amp is on, everything defaults to
38400, so that is probably why the control box can not communicate.  Perhaps
by way of the utility codes, I can change the baud rate of the amp.  Thank
you for helping me get closer to the solution.  Tom

If it were not for the addition of your loop control box, you would set both
the KXPA100 and the KX3 to the 38.4 rate.
But take a look at the baud rate requirements for your loop control box.
  If it will handle 38.4k, then all is well, but if it requires a lesser
baud rate, set both the KX3 and the KXPA100 to that baud rate.

On 11/4/2016 10:34 AM, Thomas Beltran wrote:

> Hello John and thanks.  Should I figure out what the baud rate of the
> kx3 is (since that works) and then set the kxpa100 to match?

Nr4c
Set all to 38400.

Sent from my iPhone
...nr4c. bill

> On Nov 4, 2016, at 10:34 AM, Thomas Beltran <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello John and thanks.  Should I figure out what the baud rate of the kx3 is
> (since that works) and then set the kxpa100 to match?

Re: KXPA100 RS-232 problem

David Orman
The new beta firmware for the v2 ATU supports a configurable baud rate for
the loop controller. (Just released). I have a v2 ATU on the way but was
curious if you had tried the latest controller firmware located on Ciro
Mazzoni's website? It may resolve your issue if it was baud rate related.
Here's the release notes from the announcement:

New firmware release 3.17 BETA version for ATU 2.0

download available on the www.ciromazzoni.com
<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ciromazzoni.com%2F&h=ATMn55juP7l_ra07sDsJvClPKt7QSe0DEwEgWga29qDR4mQ3DdSdZ3oR6r4zNJTb-2XU5rsDHIg9rqclzmfZE-Ho3g4WF2YPpillDuwG_xf9UoELnmqWnBLw_mcJQP5DaqFEpQ&enc=AZP2DGBgZezVrBXc8OqBhUydJj59MwUP3mWNgPf3r4TFRk0jJE7qQ3enZvicdiVmf89q2JClZ69cr5jxN2VsTzm4aIQo6-GLQVREECNbigbmBlmNkEjSxhLnioGCzEywxBBMHr_PngmH9aH1vapTezRni3hQalOXLAIwznNZOvLmsAsKNQx6pTWkj_mtlvEX8J9CiUbeV_UhpyanSlwuwJm5&s=1>
download
page

Changelog:
- baud rate setting in FULL AUTO MODE and SEMI AUTO MODE
- YAESU MODE 1: enables FULL and SEMI AUTO mode for YAESU transceiver with
a RS232 data port
- YAESU MODE 2: enables FULL and SEMI AUTO mode for YAESU transceiver with
a 8 pin data port (e.g. FT-857/FT-897)
- new ICOM CI-V addresses upgrading