KXPD2 Vs. KXPD3

Phil Wheeler-2
I just received my KX2, and have planned to add
the KXPD2 as soon as it is available. No KXPD3 on
hand because I use a Begali Adventure with my KX3.
But for the KX2 I'd like a paddle with a smaller
profile.

My KX2 order included a KXPD2, but I see from
photos here and there that the KXPD3 looks nice on
the KX2.

So now I'm wondering if I should get the KXPD3 for
my KX2, rather than the KXPD2. My questions are
(and hopefully the KX2 field testers have had a
shot at using the KXPD2):

  * What are the differences between these two
    options? I see the KXPD3 is $20 or so higher
    in price, but I'm more interested in
    construction and performance (how they feel)
    differences.
  * Is one easier to use than the other, or is the
    only plus of the KXPD2 its smaller size?
  * Are there other factors I should consider?

Since I've not used the KXPD3, I'm pretty much in
the dark -- so any input appreciated!

73, Phil W7OX

Re: [KX3] KXPD2 Vs. KXPD3

Don Wilhelm
Phil,

The KXPD2 has shorter "arms" than the KXPD3.
When presenting the KX2 at FDIM he mentioned that he 'slaps' the paddles
and that caused his KX3 to 'walk' as he is keying.
The KXPD2 with its shorter arms reduces that 'walking' significantly.

That may or may not be applicable to you, but it will be to some hams.

On 6/11/2016 4:14 AM, Phil Wheeler [hidden email] [KX3] wrote:

> I just received my KX2, and have planned to add the KXPD2 as soon as
> it is available. No KXPD3 on hand because I use a Begali Adventure
> with my KX3. But for the KX2 I'd like a paddle with a smaller profile.
>
> My KX2 order included a KXPD2, but I see from photos here and there
> that the KXPD3 looks nice on the KX2.
>
> So now I'm wondering if I should get the KXPD3 for my KX2, rather than
> the KXPD2. My questions are (and hopefully the KX2 field testers have
> had a shot at using the KXPD2):
>
>   * What are the differences between these two options? I see the
>     KXPD3 is $20 or so higher in price, but I'm more interested in
>     construction and performance (how they feel) differences.
>   * Is one easier to use than the other, or is the only plus of the
>     KXPD2 its smaller size?
>   * Are there other factors I should consider?
>
> Since I've not used the KXPD3, I'm pretty much in the dark -- so any
> input appreciated!

Re: [KX3] KXPD2 Vs. KXPD3

Phil Wheeler-2
Thanks, Don. Just the sort of input I'm looking
for: I am a paddle slapper -- and one reason I
don't plan to use the Begali Adventure, since it
sticks out even farther.

73, Phil W7OX

On 6/11/16 4:56 AM, Don Wilhelm
[hidden email] [KX3] wrote:

> Phil,
>
> The KXPD2 has shorter "arms" than the KXPD3.
> When presenting the KX2 at FDIM he mentioned that he 'slaps' the paddles
> and that caused his KX3 to 'walk' as he is keying.
> The KXPD2 with its shorter arms reduces that 'walking' significantly.
>
> That may or may not be applicable to you, but it will be to some hams.

> On 6/11/2016 4:14 AM, Phil Wheeler [hidden email] [KX3] wrote:
>> I just received my KX2, and have planned to add the KXPD2 as soon as
>> it is available. No KXPD3 on hand because I use a Begali Adventure
>> with my KX3. But for the KX2 I'd like a paddle with a smaller profile.
>>
>> My KX2 order included a KXPD2, but I see from photos here and there
>> that the KXPD3 looks nice on the KX2.
>>
>> So now I'm wondering if I should get the KXPD3 for my KX2, rather than
>> the KXPD2. My questions are (and hopefully the KX2 field testers have
>> had a shot at using the KXPD2):
>>
>>    * What are the differences between these two options? I see the
>>      KXPD3 is $20 or so higher in price, but I'm more interested in
>>      construction and performance (how they feel) differences.
>>    * Is one easier to use than the other, or is the only plus of the
>>      KXPD2 its smaller size?
>>    * Are there other factors I should consider?
>>
>> Since I've not used the KXPD3, I'm pretty much in the dark -- so any
>> input appreciated!

Re: KXPD2 Vs. KXPD3

Phil Wheeler-2
Sounds like ordering the KXPD2 was the right move
for me, Ron. Good to have the confirmation from
you and Don.

73, Phil W7OX

On 6/11/16 8:37 AM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:

> In addition to Don's observation about the length of the paddles (and so the
> tendency to move the rig around on the desk while slapping away), so far the
> KXPD2 does not have an option of heavy or light springs. As a bit of a
> "slapper" myself, I never saw the need for lighter or heavier springs, but I
> know that is of concern to some.
>
> Also, the KXPD2 features a special anti-vibration treatment of the
> adjustment screws that helps keep them in place.
>
> And lastly, only ONE wrench is required to adjust he contact spacing, and
> that wrench has a stowage location on the bottom of the paddles so it's
> always handy.
>
> 73, Ron AC7AC

Re: KXPD2 Vs. KXPD3

Nr4c
The KXPD2 is smaller and a newer design. I'd wait for the new one.

Sent from my iPhone
...nr4c. bill

> On Jun 11, 2016, at 4:14 AM, Phil Wheeler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I just received my KX2, and have planned to add the KXPD2 as soon as it is available. No KXPD3 on hand because I use a Begali Adventure with my KX3. But for the KX2 I'd like a paddle with a smaller profile.
>
> My KX2 order included a KXPD2, but I see from photos here and there that the KXPD3 looks nice on the KX2.
>
> So now I'm wondering if I should get the KXPD3 for my KX2, rather than the KXPD2. My questions are (and hopefully the KX2 field testers have had a shot at using the KXPD2):
>
> * What are the differences between these two
>   options? I see the KXPD3 is $20 or so higher
>   in price, but I'm more interested in
>   construction and performance (how they feel)
>   differences.
> * Is one easier to use than the other, or is the
>   only plus of the KXPD2 its smaller size?
> * Are there other factors I should consider?
>
> Since I've not used the KXPD3, I'm pretty much in the dark -- so any input appreciated!
>
> 73, Phil W7OX

Re: [KX3] KXPD2 Vs. KXPD3

Hi Phil,

We're getting close to shipping KXPD2s. We made some minor changes to the design, and we always extensively retest in this case to ensure high reliability in the field. I've been using my updated unit all over the place, from the storied riparian forests of San Mateo county to the 10% discounted Home Depot hammock in my back yard.

The KXPD2 has the following features:

- total length just 1.3" to minimized packed size
- ultralight, 3-D printed polycarbonate housing
- rounded-end paddles for comfortable use over a wide range of angles
- vibration-resistant contact adjustment screws
- allen wrench stores on the paddle for easy field adjustment
- works with KX2 or KX3

On Jun 11, 2016, at 1:14 AM, "Phil Wheeler [hidden email] [KX3]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just received my KX2, and have planned to add the KXPD2 as soon as it is available. No KXPD3 on hand because I use a Begali Adventure with my KX3. But for the KX2 I'd like a paddle with a smaller profile.
>
> My KX2 order included a KXPD2, but I see from photos here and there that the KXPD3 looks nice on the KX2.
>
> So now I'm wondering if I should get the KXPD3 for my KX2, rather than the KXPD2. My questions are (and hopefully the KX2 field testers have had a shot at using the KXPD2):
>
> What are the differences between these two options? I see the KXPD3 is $20 or so higher in price, but I'm more interested in construction and performance (how they feel) differences.
> Is one easier to use than the other, or is the only plus of the KXPD2 its smaller size?
> Are there other factors I should consider?
> Since I've not used the KXPD3, I'm pretty much in the dark -- so any input appreciated!
>
> 73, Phil W7OX
>

> __._,_.___
> Posted by: Phil Wheeler <[hidden email]>
> Reply via web post                       • Reply to sender                       • Reply to group                       • Start a New Topic           • Messages in this topic (1)
>
> Have you tried the highest rated email app?
> With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.
> VISIT YOUR GROUP New Members 24
> • Privacy • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use
> .

Re: [KX3] KXPD2 Vs. KXPD3

John Pitz
In operating hammock mobile, did you find the SWR to be more favorable
than operating in other situations?  As a followup question do you think
there is a correlation between discount rate and DX? ;)