Linear thoughts

john@kk9a.com
I still have not seen the Genius pricing. I'm not sure what ever happened to
the Acom 1200S.  Many people use the SPE 1.3KW on expeditions, I wonder how
easy it is to hook it up to the K3S.  The KPA-500 works nicely with the K3S
but giving up 4.5dBs is considerable, a KPA-1000 would be hard to resist.

John KK9A

From: Gary K9GS
Thu Mar 16 19:19:38 EDT 2017

I think that the ship has sailed with respect to Elecraft bringing a
legal limit SS amp to market.

There are a growing number of lightweight legal limit amps already on
the market.  The FlexRadio Power Genius looks especially promising:
http://www.flexradio.com/amateur-products/powergenius-xl/

It only weighs 33 pounds.  I saw it in operation at the Orlando
HamCation and it looked very impressive operating all weekend into a
dummy load at a conservative 1.5 kw output.

SPE also just announced a 1.5 kw amp..something I'm surprised they did
given that they already have a 1 kw, 1.3 kw, and a 2kw amp on the
market.  I know of several people that have the 1 kw amp and use it with
their K3 radios and they love them.  I've used the big SPE amp in CQWW
CW and it worked flawlessly all weekend without a hiccup.

Re: Linear thoughts

GaryK9GS
At Orlando the introductory price for the Genius was $6999.00 and they were taking orders for. I think, June delivery.  They just received the FCC type acceptance a few days before.
I would assume that the SPE amps all integrate with the K3 in a similar fashion.  When I used the SPE 2K in CQWW CW it was like having a 1.5K K3..just hummed along all weekend.

73-Gary K9GS
-------- Original message --------From: [hidden email] Date: 3/16/17  8:36 PM  (GMT-06:00) To: [hidden email] Subject: [Elecraft]  Linear thoughts
I still have not seen the Genius pricing. I'm not sure what ever happened to
the Acom 1200S.  Many people use the SPE 1.3KW on expeditions, I wonder how
easy it is to hook it up to the K3S.  The KPA-500 works nicely with the K3S
but giving up 4.5dBs is considerable, a KPA-1000 would be hard to resist.

John KK9A

Re: Linear thoughts

Ken K6MR
KPA1000 is pretty easy to do with a bit of hardware… :^)

Ken K6MR

Re: Linear thoughts

Chris Tate - N6WM
The expert amps work great with the K-line.  I use a 2kfa for contesting from K6LRG and the only equivalent amp I would put it up against is an ACOM 2000.  It is essentially the Solid state equal of the ACOM but has more capabilities.  The interface is excellent.  Amongst my colleagues there are a couple of 1.3's that are lighter but essentially feature equal with just a bit less power output but equally useable with the k-line.

From: Gary K9GS
Thu Mar 16 19:19:38 EDT 2017

I think that the ship has sailed with respect to Elecraft bringing a legal limit SS amp to market.

There are a growing number of lightweight legal limit amps already on the market.  The FlexRadio Power Genius looks especially promising:
http://www.flexradio.com/amateur-products/powergenius-xl/

It only weighs 33 pounds.  I saw it in operation at the Orlando HamCation and it looked very impressive operating all weekend into a dummy load at a conservative 1.5 kw output.

SPE also just announced a 1.5 kw amp..something I'm surprised they did given that they already have a 1 kw, 1.3 kw, and a 2kw amp on the market.  I know of several people that have the 1 kw amp and use it with their K3 radios and they love them.  I've used the big SPE amp in CQWW CW and it worked flawlessly all weekend without a hiccup.

Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Linear thoughts

Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft
Interesting discussion.

Folks, if we did introduce a 1500 W solid state amp similar to our KPA500 in
operation, what features etc would be important?

73,
Eric
/elecraft.com/

Re: Linear thoughts

Joe K2UF
Oh boy!  You just broke the e_dam,  now here comes the e_flood.  ;o))

73  Joe K2UF

Re: Linear thoughts

w7aqk
This debate seems to get resurrected a lot.  I think the reason for that is
more philosophical than technical.  Clearly 1 KW is better than 500 watts,
at least in many cases.  The question really is, do you actually need it,
and can you make that leap practically.  Answers to those questions will be
all over the board.

I run 500 watts because it is practical.  I don't have a 1 ton brick to deal
with, I didn't have to re-wire my shack, the lights don't dim when I go key
down, and I don't apparently have RFI problems.  I also only had to give up
one arm and one leg (not both) to accomplish that financially--the cost/watt
seems to go up significantly above that.  If all those factors were
neutralized, I might run 1 KW too!

500 watts is a lot of power!  It gives me 60% of the maximum gain I can
achieve legally (1 S unit down).  1 S unit is nothing to sneeze at, but I
find that, usually, if I can hear them I can work them.  More often than
not, if I have a problem, It is hearing them.  A bigger amp won't solve
that.  I could probably gain 2 S units or more, both on RX and TX, with
somewhat better antennas.  Well, that's a problem here too, but not for a
lot of others.

Invariably the "weak signal" argument is raised, and it's hard to refute.
However, I really wonder how often that is really solved by a bigger amp.
They may be weak on your RX, but the reverse might not be true.  I'm just
asking, not refuting.  It does seem to me, though, that it is more a matter
of out shouting other stations.  On the other hand, it may be a matter of
defeating the other person's noise level.  Score 1 for more power.  In fact,
that may be one of the best arguments for more power.

Anyway, I don't think there is an answer here--just options and
consequences.  A bigger amp is not a panacea--just an option.  What I think
I do know, however, is that we tend to run more power than we need, not
less.  Still, that depends on your philosophy.  A lot of folks have V8's,
when a V6 is plenty.  Actually, I have a V8, but it just drinks more gas,
and doesn't get me there any quicker.

Dave W7AQK

Re: Linear thoughts

IK4EWX

Re: Linear thoughts

Eric,
Hallelujah!  First acknowledgment of such a possibility!  I vote to put a
second amp module in the RF Deck (i.e., an RF deck that is the same as the
total size of the KPA500) and have a separate switching supply in another
box. 1200-1300 watts would be a sweet spot if 1.5K is a problem.  Shoot for
30 pounds or under.
73, andy ae6y (KPA500 ser. 77).

Re: Linear thoughts

KC6CNN
Super quiet fans! Full duty cycle.

> On Mar 17, 2017, at 12:06 PM, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Interesting discussion.
>
> Folks, if we did introduce a 1500 W solid state amp similar to our KPA500 in operation, what features etc would be important?
>
> 73,
> Eric
> /elecraft.com/

KC6CNN - Gerald
K3 # 6294
KX3 # 757

Re: Linear thoughts

Guy Olinger K2AV
KPA1500?

QSK. Bombproof. IF possible, amp only in K3 form factor, separate
power supply regulated with sense line from the amplifier module.
KAT1500 with ability to place it remotely, able to place KAT1500
control buttons in an otherwise blank spot on KPA1500 front panel.
KAT1500 with memory per antenna jack per frequency. KPA/KAT
communication via telemetry over coax center conductor.

73, Guy K2AV

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 1:06 PM, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Interesting discussion.
>
> Folks, if we did introduce a 1500 W solid state amp similar to our KPA500 in
> operation, what features etc would be important?
>
> 73,
> Eric

Re: Linear thoughts

Ken K6MR
“I vote to put a second amp module in the RF Deck…”

And the advantage here is that (according to the KPA500 schematic) the control hardware is already in place  :^)

Ken K6MR

Re: Linear thoughts

Alan. G4GNX
Also, same facilities as KPA500 and built in KAT1500 tuner.

73,

Alan. G4GNX

> On Mar 17, 2017, at 12:06 PM, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Interesting discussion.
>
> Folks, if we did introduce a 1500 W solid state amp similar to our KPA500
> in operation, what features etc would be important?
>
> 73,
> Eric
> /elecraft.com/

Re: Linear thoughts

kw9e
KPA-500 trade-in program.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 17, 2017, at 12:06 PM, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Interesting discussion.
>
> Folks, if we did introduce a 1500 W solid state amp similar to our KPA500 in operation, what features etc would be important?
>
> 73,
> Eric
> /elecraft.com/

Re: Linear thoughts

1.  Separate power supply or small control box (ala ACOM 2000A).   Same
form factor as K line if separate power supply (small control box able to
control an integral or separate "KAT1500" as well).
2.  Solid state.
3.  Full integration with K line similar to KPA500 and easy  integration
with other radios including KX3 & KX2.
4.  160-6m.
5.  1500 W.
6.  True SO2R capable with K line and other radios (SPE 1.3K is almost
there).
7.  Integral antenna tuner or "KAT1500".
8.  Easily user modified to get rid of antiquated 15db gain  limit.
9.  Clean TX throughout entire power range on a par with K3s.
10.  Easily remotable.
11.  QSK with adjustable parameters.

Mike KD8RQE

In a message dated 3/17/2017 1:12:20 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[hidden email] writes:

Interesting discussion.

Folks, if we did introduce a 1500 W  solid state amp similar to our KPA500
in
operation, what features etc  would be  important?

73,
Eric
/elecraft.com/

Post:  mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by:  http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list:  http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Message delivered to  [hidden email]

Re: Linear thoughts

charlie carroll
Strongly concur!

Think serious contesting and airline carry-on, weight, weight ..., continuous contest operation, prefer solid basic operation over bells and whistles (or make bells/whistles an option).

73 charlie k1xx/vp2mmf

On March 17, 2017 1:18:39 PM EDT, Andrew Faber via Elecraft <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Eric,
>Hallelujah!  First acknowledgment of such a possibility!  I vote to put
>second amp module in the RF Deck (i.e., an RF deck that is the same as
>the
>total size of the KPA500) and have a separate switching supply in
>another
>box. 1200-1300 watts would be a sweet spot if 1.5K is a problem.  Shoot
>for
>30 pounds or under.
>73, andy ae6y (KPA500 ser. 77).

Wes Stewart-2
Three times the power, one-third the cost?

Somewhat more seriously: legal limit, internal tuner for up to at least 3:1 SWR
(option?), optional separate power supply, quieter cooling. Bigger box to match K4.

Wes  N7WS

  On 3/17/2017 10:06 AM, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote:

> Interesting discussion.
>
> Folks, if we did introduce a 1500 W solid state amp similar to our KPA500 in
> operation, what features etc would be important?
>
> 73,
> Eric
> /elecraft.com/

Re: Linear thoughts

On Mar 17, 2017, at 11:14 AM, Wes Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Three times the power, one-third the cost?
>
> Somewhat more seriously: legal limit, internal tuner for up to at least 3:1 SWR (option?), optional separate power supply, quieter cooling. Bigger box to match K4.

The what?

> Wes  N7WS
>
> On 3/17/2017 10:06 AM, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft wrote:
>> Interesting discussion.
>>
>> Folks, if we did introduce a 1500 W solid state amp similar to our KPA500 in operation, what features etc would be important?
>>
>> 73,
>> Eric
>> /elecraft.com/

Re: Linear thoughts

Bud Semon
My thoughts in order of importance to me:

1) 1500 W continuous duty - 100% clean signal.
2) 160 - 6 M
3) QSK - no relays
4) 1 package - no separate power supply
5) Lightweight (this is relative of course)
6) Remotely controllable
7) Internal tuner not required

73, Bud  N7CW

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 10:06 AM, Eric Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Interesting discussion.
>
> Folks, if we did introduce a 1500 W solid state amp similar to our KPA500
> in operation, what features etc would be important?
>
> 73,
> Eric
> /elecraft.com/

Re: Linear thoughts