Logging software advice

Phil Shepard
For logging, I have been running Logic 9 on an HP Windows 7 laptop.  A few days ago the four year old laptop died (hard disk failure).  I was using an Elecraft RS232 to USB adapter cable for the computer to K3 link.

So, I am looking for a new setup for the K3 (and maybe KX3 too).  I have run out of interest in Windows PCs and have been converting to Apple devices over the last year and a half.  I’d like to use an iPAD for the logging and perhaps rig control computer.  I have downloaded both RumLog and HamLog to play with.  I used HamLog’s Field Day log this past weekend and liked it.

My questions are around the computer/rig interface.  Is there any reasonable way to use the RS232/USB cable with the iPad?  It looks like both RumLog and HamLog work with the Pignology Piglet to network between the computer and rig.  Reading the Piglet manual shows a way to use a Piglet generated network to talk to the rig.  Can this setup also connect simultaneously to my home WiFi for other internet based functions?  Is there any other issue that I should be concerned about with this setup?

Thanks in advance,

73,
Phil, NS7P

Re: Logging software advice

Nick Garner
Hi Phil,
The Piglet creates a wireless network out of the box.  It is possible to
reconfigure the Piglet to join a home wireless network or a hotspot network
created by a mobile device.  When using it with iOS it's also possible to
reconfigure the Piglet to create an ad-hoc wireless network allowing for
simultaneous Wi-Fi and 3G/4G connectivity for rig control and callsign
lookups.  This reconfiguration can be done with a null modem adapter or
cable.

73,
Nick
N3WG

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 5:21 PM, Phil Shepard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For logging, I have been running Logic 9 on an HP Windows 7 laptop.  A few
> days ago the four year old laptop died (hard disk failure).  I was using an
> Elecraft RS232 to USB adapter cable for the computer to K3 link.
>
> So, I am looking for a new setup for the K3 (and maybe KX3 too).  I have
> run out of interest in Windows PCs and have been converting to Apple
> devices over the last year and a half.  I’d like to use an iPAD for the
> logging and perhaps rig control computer.  I have downloaded both RumLog
> and HamLog to play with.  I used HamLog’s Field Day log this past weekend
> and liked it.
>
> My questions are around the computer/rig interface.  Is there any
> reasonable way to use the RS232/USB cable with the iPad?  It looks like
> both RumLog and HamLog work with the Pignology Piglet to network between
> the computer and rig.  Reading the Piglet manual shows a way to use a
> Piglet generated network to talk to the rig.  Can this setup also connect
> simultaneously to my home WiFi for other internet based functions?  Is
> there any other issue that I should be concerned about with this setup?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> 73,
> Phil, NS7P

Re: Logging software advice

W2RMS
MacLoggerDX and MacLoggerDX HD (for the iPad) are the best loggers i've found for my Macs.
Very visual and VERY easy to setup/use.
They don't do rig control besides the normal QSYs when clicking on spots. But they do work with a bunch of rotators.
And support from the developer is awesome.
__________________
Slava (Sal) B, W2RMS
[hidden email]

On Jun 30, 2014, at 8:21 PM, Phil Shepard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For logging, I have been running Logic 9 on an HP Windows 7 laptop.  A few days ago the four year old laptop died (hard disk failure).  I was using an Elecraft RS232 to USB adapter cable for the computer to K3 link.
>
> So, I am looking for a new setup for the K3 (and maybe KX3 too).  I have run out of interest in Windows PCs and have been converting to Apple devices over the last year and a half.  I’d like to use an iPAD for the logging and perhaps rig control computer.  I have downloaded both RumLog and HamLog to play with.  I used HamLog’s Field Day log this past weekend and liked it.
>
> My questions are around the computer/rig interface.  Is there any reasonable way to use the RS232/USB cable with the iPad?  It looks like both RumLog and HamLog work with the Pignology Piglet to network between the computer and rig.  Reading the Piglet manual shows a way to use a Piglet generated network to talk to the rig.  Can this setup also connect simultaneously to my home WiFi for other internet based functions?  Is there any other issue that I should be concerned about with this setup?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> 73,
> Phil, NS7P

Re: Logging software advice

Peter Wollan-2
I've looked at logging with an iPad and haven't found it satisfactory yet
-- but I haven't tried a Piglet.  Just what control does the Piglet allow
with an iPad?

(1)  Can it fetch the frequency in use from the rig (K2 or KX3)?  (I think
yes.)
(2)  Can it enter a frequency from the iPad?
(3)  Can it send CW or PSK31 from the iPad?  (I think no.)
(4)  Do different logging apps have different capabilities?  For example,
using iSDR with a KX3, can you tap on a signal and move the transmitting
frequency to that?

My impression is that the only way to send from an iPad is through the USB
port, with something like an iMic in between, or playing audio into the
rig's mic.  Pretty kludgy.

    Peter W0LLN

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 12:04 AM, Nick Garner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Phil,
> The Piglet creates a wireless network out of the box.

73 - Chuck, AA3CS

Re: Logging software advice

W4JBB
Phil,

You have a few options when it comes to logging software for Mac:

1. RUMlog - the one I use and really like. Cost is _free_. Excellent
support for the K3. Has a K3 interface window; uses the K3 keyer;
interfaces great with cocoaModem; has a DXCluster function; gray-line
map; and that's just the stuff I have on the screen right now.
2. Aether - I bought this program and stopped receiving support. I
absolutely do *not* recommend this program. Cost _$45_. It supposedly
interfaces with Fldigi via script, but I could never get that to work.
3. MacLoggerDX - Has a shareware version you can try. I forget the
limitations. Cost is _~$100_. I have not used the program. People love
it or hate it.

The author of RUMlog also writes RUMped for contests. I have used it and
it works well too.

I tried using an iPad to log. I didn't like it. It does not have true
multi-tasking. Sure, it will do stuff in the background, but I don't
like how it does that for amateur radio. To me, the iPad is an easy way
to read email and/or browse the web, get RSS feeds, read electronic
magazines, and get SOTA notifications ;). Not much else. Although the
keyboard is larger than an iPhone, it still doesn't compare to a real
keyboard when entering calls and other information.

I have tried both the Piglet and its predecessor. They both work very
well. However, after experimenting with them a while, I wound up selling
them and now have neither. It will allow you to set up an ad-hoc network
and allow you to talk to both your WAN and the iPad simultaneously for
call look ups.

If you truly want to go small with the computer, if it were me, I'd
probably go with either a Macbook Pro *or* the Macbook Air. It depends
on what else you want to do with the computer (i.e. video / photo
editing, games, etc). I use an iMac and my wife has a MBP. To me, the
13" screen on the MBP is a little small to have everything on the screen
I like to see. On the other hand, the iMac's screen is so large I have
to crane my neck to see the top of the screen with bifocals.

Good luck with your decision.

73,
Joel - W4JBB

On 6/30/14, 7:21 PM, Phil Shepard wrote:

> For logging, I have been running Logic 9 on an HP Windows 7 laptop.  A few days ago the four year old laptop died (hard disk failure).  I was using an Elecraft RS232 to USB adapter cable for the computer to K3 link.
>
> So, I am looking for a new setup for the K3 (and maybe KX3 too).  I have run out of interest in Windows PCs and have been converting to Apple devices over the last year and a half.  I’d like to use an iPAD for the logging and perhaps rig control computer.  I have downloaded both RumLog and HamLog to play with.  I used HamLog’s Field Day log this past weekend and liked it.
>
> My questions are around the computer/rig interface.  Is there any reasonable way to use the RS232/USB cable with the iPad?  It looks like both RumLog and HamLog work with the Pignology Piglet to network between the computer and rig.  Reading the Piglet manual shows a way to use a Piglet generated network to talk to the rig.  Can this setup also connect simultaneously to my home WiFi for other internet based functions?  Is there any other issue that I should be concerned about with this setup?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> 73,
> Phil, NS7P

Re: Logging software advice

Raymond Sills
HI Gang:

I also use RUMLog, and it does an excellent job of logging.  I'm not a
constester, so I haven't tried RUMPed, but I'd wager it does the job
as well.  I also use CocoaModem.

However, there's another option, which I used during Field Day, and
that is the hardware device, Ham Central Terminal.  The HCT is
designed to connect to Elecraft's K3 or KX3 (which is what I use) via
the RS-232 port on the rigs.  The HCT is a good option for field use,
since it is a stand-alone device, and can run many hours on an
internal 9V battery... or external power source.. 12V is just fine.

The HCT "expands" the character display from the Elecraft rigs, so
that you can see up to 80 decoded characters.  The decoding is done by
the rig, so you need to use it with a K3 or KX3.  But, CW, PSK31 and
RTTY work nicely.

The unit also has a logging function, and all you need do is input the
other station's callsign, and the exchange.. which can be signal
report, section, etc.. any text characters.  It will also generate an
auto-incrementing serial number, if that's needed for a contest or
event, and the number can be embedded into a macro string.  There's an
internal clock which time-stamps the logged QSO, and the log file
includes your frequency of operation and mode.  The HCT is also
capable of transferring the log file into a computer via RS-232.  ADIF
format, IIRC.

The HCT is not a laptop, and won't offer the features of a laptop.
But then, while I would not want to drop my HCT off a cliff... I
=sure= would not want my laptop to suffer that fate.  The HCT is -far-
less expensive.  It's good in the outdoors, too, since it uses a
transflective display making it readable in bright sun.

73 de Ray
K2ULR
KX3 #211

On Jul 2, 2014, at 6:44 AM, Joel Black wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> So, I am looking for a new setup for the K3 (and maybe KX3 too).  I
>> have run out of interest in Windows PCs and have been converting to
>> Apple devices over the last year and a half.  I’d like to use an
>> iPAD for the logging and perhaps rig control computer.  I have
>> downloaded both RumLog and HamLog to play with.  I used HamLog’s
>> Field Day log this past weekend and liked it.
>>
>> My questions are around the computer/rig interface.  Is there any
>> reasonable way to use the RS232/USB cable with the iPad?  It looks
>> like both RumLog and HamLog work with the Pignology Piglet to
>> network between the computer and rig.  Reading the Piglet manual
>> shows a way to use a Piglet generated network to talk to the rig.
>> Can this setup also connect simultaneously to my home WiFi for
>> other internet based functions?  Is there any other issue that I
>> should be concerned about with this setup?

Re: Logging software advice

Joshua Gould, K8WXA
I'm going to chine in here and give a vote for RUMLog.  The only thing I've
noticed is that for some reason RUMLog doesn't auto pull the details of the
call sign (Name, QTH, Grid square, Etc) I think it's something with the way
that I've got my software set up.

73,
Joshua Gould
K8WXA
EM89pn

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 9:06 AM, Ray Sills <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> run out of interest in Windows PCs and have been converting to Apple
>>> devices over the last year and a half.  I’d like to use an iPAD for the
>>> logging and perhaps rig control computer.  I have downloaded both RumLog
>>> and HamLog to play with.  I used HamLog’s Field Day log this past weekend
>>> and liked it.
>>>
>>> My questions are around the computer/rig interface.  Is there any
>>> reasonable way to use the RS232/USB cable with the iPad?  It looks like
>>> both RumLog and HamLog work with the Pignology Piglet to network between
>>> the computer and rig.  Reading the Piglet manual shows a way to use a
>>> Piglet generated network to talk to the rig.  Can this setup also connect
>>> simultaneously to my home WiFi for other internet based functions?  Is
>>> there any other issue that I should be concerned about with this setup?

Re: Logging software advice

Jim Bennett
Another Mac user chiming -

My wife and I dumped our Dell / Windows computers about seven years ago and couldn't be happier. She now is using a MacBook Pro w/Retina display and I have two Mac's: a 27" iMac and an original version of the MacBook Air (MBA). When we got rid of the Dell's, I chose MacLoggerDX (MLDX). Another very good choice, IMHO. I started out running MLDX on the MBA, but because that poor old laptop is not capable of running the newest version of the Mac OS, I decided to move my MLDX over to the iMac. Still use the MBA for portable use; I log my QSO's on it and then export 'em and import 'em over on the iMac when we get home.

I'm quite happy with MLDX and the support that is provided by the author - Don Agro / VE3VRW. The software has NEVER failed in all the time I've been using it. I'd recommend it to anyone who is looking to move from PC to Mac. I believe there is a trial version available. Whether it works well for you may depend on what kind of operating you do. I an not a big contest operator. I had been on a quest for 5BWAS the past three years and spend some time operating in the ARRL SS, ARRL 160m, ARRL 10m contests, looking for needed states. I occasionally chase DX and have been known to waste an hour or so of my life trying to bust a pileup now and then! About 90 percent of my operating is CW, and the past couple months I've been using WSJT-X to operate my K3 on the JT65 and JT9 modes. I use MLDX for occasional rig control, but that's about it. For me, it is primarily a logging program and something that allows me to keep track of my 9BWAS and DXCC totals.

FWIW - I have a K3 and a KX3 and MLDX plays very well with both of these rigs.

Jim / W6JHB
Folsom, CA

> _______

Re: Logging software advice

Rick Prather-3
Joshua,

In the "QSO" Menu do you have "Auto QRZ Lookup"  and "Add data to Log
Automatically"  checked?

Rick
K6LE

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 7:04 AM, Joshua Gould <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >> them and now have neither. It will allow you to set up an ad-hoc network
> >> and allow you to talk to both your WAN and the iPad simultaneously for
> call
> >> look ups.
> >>
> >> If you truly want to go small with the computer, if it were me, I'd
> >> probably go with either a Macbook Pro *or* the Macbook Air. It depends
> on
> >> what else you want to do with the computer (i.e. video / photo editing,
> >> games, etc). I use an iMac and my wife has a MBP. To me, the 13" screen
> on
> >> the MBP is a little small to have everything on the screen I like to
> see.
> >> On the other hand, the iMac's screen is so large I have to crane my
> neck to
> >> see the top of the screen with bifocals.

Scott Manthe-2
Mac Logger DX is great, but I use RUMlog and RUMped. These have most if
not all of the functionality of MLDX, but for free. I've got no problem
with MLDX, but when I can get the same functionality for free, I'm going
to choose the free program every time. Well, not exactly free. I liked
RUMlog and RUMped so much, I donated some money to the author, DL2RUM.

So, you probably can't go wrong with either RUMlog or MLDX, but you'll
have to pay for one, but not the other.

73,
Scott, N9AA

On 7/2/14, 10:04 AM, Joshua Gould wrote:

> I'm going to chine in here and give a vote for RUMLog.  The only thing I've
> noticed is that for some reason RUMLog doesn't auto pull the details of the
> call sign (Name, QTH, Grid square, Etc) I think it's something with the way
> that I've got my software set up.
>

> 73,
> Joshua Gould
> K8WXA
> EM89pn

Re: Logging software advice

Nick Garner
Nobody ever mentions HamLog for Mac.  :)

To answer some questions directed at me about the Piglet with HamLog on
iOS...

(1)  Can it fetch the frequency in use from the rig (K2 or KX3)?
Yes.
(2)  Can it enter a frequency from the iPad?
Yes.  For K3 and KX3 it actually puts the whole face of the radio to iPad.
(3)  Can it send CW or PSK31 from the iPad?
Yes, it's via keyboard though and only what the radio decodes, no waterfall
or decode via audio (yet).

73,
Nick
N3WG

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 3:25 PM, Scott Manthe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mac Logger DX is great, but I use RUMlog and RUMped. These have most if
> not all of the functionality of MLDX, but for free. I've got no problem
> with MLDX, but when I can get the same functionality for free, I'm going to
> choose the free program every time. Well, not exactly free. I liked RUMlog
> and RUMped so much, I donated some money to the author, DL2RUM.
>
> So, you probably can't go wrong with either RUMlog or MLDX, but you'll
> have to pay for one, but not the other.
>
> 73,
> Scott, N9AA
>

> On 7/2/14, 10:04 AM, Joshua Gould wrote:
>
>> I'm going to chine in here and give a vote for RUMLog.  The only thing
>> I've
>> noticed is that for some reason RUMLog doesn't auto pull the details of
>> the
>> call sign (Name, QTH, Grid square, Etc) I think it's something with the
>> way
>> that I've got my software set up.
>>

>> 73,
>> Joshua Gould
>> K8WXA
>> EM89pn

Re: Logging software advice

Raymond Sills
Hey, Nick:

Darn, I forgot that HamLog is also a Mac app.  I also use HamLog
(usually on my iPhone) when operating.  My level of activity is such
that I don't need a super-duper logging app.  HamLog does fine.  I
didn't realize that it also was a Mac app!!!

73 de Ray
K2ULR
KX3 #211