Low Serial Numbered K3

KK5IB
Any problems with buying a K3 with a low serial number, say that has
had hardware updates and alignments?
Darryl, KK5IB

Re: Low Serial Numbered K3

Don Wilhelm-4
Darryl,

I would say no problem at all.  consistent with the Elecraft upgrade
policy, even the earliest K3 can be upgraded to the most recent level.
If all the hardware updates have been applied and the firmware updated,
it is just as good as a brand new K3.

If you want to check an older K3 to see if the hardware mods have been
installed, go to the Mods and Notes tab on the Elecraft website
www.elecraft.com and download the applicable mod instructions - most of
them tell you how to check to see if the mod has been installed - some
may require physical inspection, but others can be determined by easier
means.

On 9/22/2014 11:18 PM, Darryl J Kelly wrote:
> Any problems with buying a K3 with a low serial number, say that has
> had hardware updates and alignments?
> Darryl, KK5IB

Re: Low Serial Numbered K3

Mine is #642.  It did a short stint in the Elecraft Medical Center for
slightly Sickly Electronics early on for a failed component I didn't
want to track down.  They brought it up to what was then "production."
The only other mod I've done was the IF output gain mod [destroy an SM
resistor and replace it with a different value resistor] when I got the
P3 much much later.

K3's don't seem to wear out, and unlike me, are not affected by an
accumulation of birthdays.  OK, I finally had the "cracking knobs
syndrome," Elecraft sent me new ones, I had saved the allen wrench for
them, and all was well.  I would make sure that any HW mods published
after the one you're considering was born are not critical to your
operating requirements, particularly if your needs are somewhat esoteric
like EME and the like.  Load the latest production FW, run through the
calibration procedures [no test equipment required], and call CQ.

Mine works just like advertised.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2014 Cal QSO Party 4-5 Oct 2014
- www.cqp.org

Low Serial Numbered K3

Johnny Siu
Darryl,

No worry as long as all the HW mod and FW were updated.  Mine is also an early version but I did all the HW and FW updates.

73

Johnny VR2XMC

________________________________
 寄件人︰ Darryl J Kelly <[hidden email]>
收件人︰ [hidden email]
傳送日期︰ 2014年09月23日 (週二) 11:18 AM
主題︰ [Elecraft] Low Serial Numbered K3

Any problems with buying a K3 with a low serial number, say that has
had hardware updates and alignments?
Darryl, KK5IB

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net/

Re: Low Serial Numbered K3

Mike K2MK
Hi Darryl,

There were an awful lot of mods that might have been needed depending on the serial number. Even if the unit had no mods it still might be a good purchase as long as the price reflects the money you'll have to invest to upgrade it.

The DSP board upgrade is considered very important by many K3 owners and it is not listed with the other K3 mods on the mods and notes page. You can find it only on the spare parts page. It is called K3DSPUPGD.

The DSP mod is not listed here (??):
http://www.elecraft.com/K3/k3_app_notes.htm

K3DSPUPGD can be found here:
http://www.elecraft.com/order_form_parts.htm#K3%20Parts

73,
Mike K2MK

Darryl J Kelly wrote
Any problems with buying a K3 with a low serial number, say that has
had hardware updates and alignments?
Darryl, KK5IB

Re: Low Serial Numbered K3

Matt Zilmer-3
I'd like to think that there wouldn't be such a problem with an early
unit.   Mine's s/n 24, so the first kit from Oct, 2007.  Every
applicable mod has been made to it, and I had one of the techs go over
it looking for update opportunities.  He couldn't find any, and
everything was in spec.

Elecraft may be the first Amateur Radio transceiver manufacturer to
ensure that there is no stigma associated with a low s/n transceiver,
as long as it's kept up to date.  Other manufacturers develop upgrades
that will only work on serial number so-and-so and up.  We don't have
that problem with the K3, something else that sets it apart besides
its specs and performance.

If you're expecting to buy an early K3, I'd suggest getting copies of
all the mod instructions and using them to inspect your candidate K3
for mods and upgrades.  This at least is reassuring, if not downright
necessary.

Some of the PCBAs have different fab and assembly rev levels.  Except
for the DSP(s), I was told that all other board changes over the years
maintain the same specs.  The DSP upgrade actually improves
performance at audio frequencies, and there is an exchange program for
the older rev DSPs that defers some of the cost of the new ones.

73,
matt
W6NIA

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 22:18:27 -0500, you wrote:

>Any problems with buying a K3 with a low serial number, say that has
>had hardware updates and alignments?
>Darryl, KK5IB

>Message delivered to [hidden email]
Matt Zilmer, W6NIA
--
"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will
spend the first four sharpening the axe." -A. Lincoln

Re: Low Serial Numbered K3

I could never hear the effect of the DSP board modification, despite pretty good hearing. But we had some *very* discriminating customers with even better hearing; hence the mod.

You might want to listen to it before upgrading.

On Sep 23, 2014, at 5:41 AM, Mike K2MK <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Darryl,
>
> There were an awful lot of mods that might have been needed depending on the
> serial number. Even if the unit had no mods it still might be a good
> purchase as long as the price reflects the money you'll have to invest to
> upgrade it.
>
> The DSP board upgrade is considered very important by many K3 owners and it
> is not listed with the other K3 mods on the mods and notes page. You can
> find it only on the spare parts page. It is called K3DSPUPGD.
>
> The DSP mod is not listed here (??):
> http://www.elecraft.com/K3/k3_app_notes.htm
>
> K3DSPUPGD can be found here:
> http://www.elecraft.com/order_form_parts.htm#K3%20Parts
>
> 73,
> Mike K2MK
>

> Darryl J Kelly wrote
>> Any problems with buying a K3 with a low serial number, say that has
>> had hardware updates and alignments?
>> Darryl, KK5IB

Re: Low Serial Numbered K3

M0XDF
I have # 174, very few mod done and due to other commit tents, no f/w upgrade in the last 12 months - still works great - When I can get to using it.
73 de David, M0XDF (K3 #174, P3 #108)
-- David

On 23 Sep 2014, at 05:56, Fred Jensen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mine is #642.  It did a short stint in the Elecraft Medical Center for slightly Sickly Electronics early on for a failed component I didn't want to track down.  They brought it up to what was then "production." The only other mod I've done was the IF output gain mod [destroy an SM resistor and replace it with a different value resistor] when I got the P3 much much later.
>
> K3's don't seem to wear out, and unlike me, are not affected by an accumulation of birthdays.  OK, I finally had the "cracking knobs syndrome," Elecraft sent me new ones, I had saved the allen wrench for them, and all was well.  I would make sure that any HW mods published after the one you're considering was born are not critical to your operating requirements, particularly if your needs are somewhat esoteric like EME and the like.  Load the latest production FW, run through the calibration procedures [no test equipment required], and call CQ.
>
> Mine works just like advertised.
>
> 73,
>
> Fred K6DGW
> - Northern California Contest Club
> - CU in the 2014 Cal QSO Party 4-5 Oct 2014
> - www.cqp.org

Re: Low Serial Numbered K3

ab2tc
Hi all,

Mine is #82. I have very few mods done, probably the only one of importance is the HAGC mod. Radio is working perfectly. Fans are inaudible, yet radio is running cool with the low duty cycle SSB transmissions I am using for DX hunting. Firmware, however, is up to date, well at least almost.

AB2TC - Knut

M0XDF wrote
I have # 174, very few mod done and due to other commit tents, no f/w upgrade in the last 12 months - still works great - When I can get to using it.
73 de David, M0XDF (K3 #174, P3 #108)
-- David

<snip>

Re: Low Serial Numbered K3

Arie Kleingeld PA3A-2

Hi all,

My serial number 12xx is not as low as some, but I had my share of mods
in the K3.
I've done them all myself including adding the LPF on the DSP board
(which was an improvement in my case).

Implementing the mods was never a problem, thanks to the good
documentation on the elecraft website and all info in this reflector.

As for firmware, I follow all updates. Never regretted that.
(It becomes vital if you start adding a KPA etc. There have been several
updates that improved the overall performance.)

73
Arie PA3A

Re: Low Serial Numbered K3

On Tue,9/23/2014 5:41 AM, Mike K2MK wrote:
> The DSP board upgrade is considered very important by many K3 owners and it
> is not listed with the other K3 mods on the mods and notes page. You can
> find it only on the spare parts page. It is called K3DSPUPGD.

I'm an audio geek, and I see no need for RX audio below 300 Hz in a ham
RX. Rolloff above 4 kHz is a good thing, but not worth $110 to me. :)
Now, if you want to use your K3 to listen to AM broadcasts including
music, that's a different story. BUT -- $110 comes close to getting you
one of the excellent Tecsun consumer AM/FM/Shortwave/Aircraft band
receivers like the PL660 ($120) or PL880 ($180). The PL880 was recently
reviewed in QST. I own a PL660 and the much smaller PL380, which is my
"hotel" radio.

Re: Low Serial Numbered K3

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

On 2014-09-24 1:17 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
> I'm an audio geek, and I see no need for RX audio below 300 Hz in a
> ham RX. Rolloff above 4 kHz is a good thing, but not worth $110 to
> me. :)

After 25+ years in broadcasting and recording studios, I agree.  The one
audio response modification I put in both of my low S/N K3s is the low-
pass audio filter just to eliminate the high frequency audio IMD and DAC
clock leakage.  The resulting ~100 - 4500 Hz response is just fine for
occasional AM broadcast - including music - using a decent speaker.

The original 10 uF coupling capacitors on the headphone output are just
fine with headphones other than the cheap 8 Ohm stuff and provide
reasonable response to 200 Hz or less with most quality headphones or
headsets.