Microphone Qusestion

Bob McGraw - K4TAX
New to the Reflector and new to Elecraft with a K3S on order,  what is
suggested for a microphone.  Objective is excellent audio with little
interest in contesting.   My thoughts and suggestion from another source
is the Heli PR871.

--
73 Bob, K4TAX

Re: Microphone Qusestion

Mike Reublin NF4L
The K3S has so much audio tailoring built in, pretty much any mic, when properly set up, will garner good audio reports. There's no need to spend cubic dollars on microphones.
73, Mike NF4L

> On Jul 5, 2015, at 7:59 AM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> New to the Reflector and new to Elecraft with a K3S on order,  what is suggested for a microphone.  Objective is excellent audio with little interest in contesting.   My thoughts and suggestion from another source is the Heli PR871.
>
> --
> 73 Bob, K4TAX

Re: Microphone Qusestion

David Bunte
Bob -

I am a CW operator, but wanted to be able to work SSB from time to time.  I
heard so many K3 users suggest the Yamaha CM500, that I  tried one... in
part because the Heil Pro set I had was not comfortable for me.  I can wear
it for hours, and when I have used it on SSB I have received very good
reports.

A friend recently got a K3 and also got the CM500.  The first time he used
the radio was in a state QSO party. He made LOTS of contacts, and took
first place in his class.  That was his intent... but he was surprised, and
very pleased, by the number of folks who took time during the contest to
tell him that he had outstanding audio. He used a Heil headset in the past
20 or so QSO parties he entered, with first place finishes in about half of
them, and NEVER got unsolicited compliments on his audio.  That, was, of
course, also with a different radio.

Many folks have achieved EXCELLENT results for VERY few dollars, by
mounting an electret element (for just a few dollars), In some manner of
their own design, and have been happy.  I liked the convince of the Yamaha,
which plug right into the rear jacks on the K3 (K3S is the same)... with no
need for adaptors, or connector changes.

Best of luck es 73 de Dave - K9FN
 On Jul 5, 2015 8:35 AM, "Mike Reublin NF4L" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The K3S has so much audio tailoring built in, pretty much any mic, when
> properly set up, will garner good audio reports. There's no need to spend
> cubic dollars on microphones.
> 73, Mike NF4L
>

> > On Jul 5, 2015, at 7:59 AM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > New to the Reflector and new to Elecraft with a K3S on order,  what is
> suggested for a microphone.  Objective is excellent audio with little
> interest in contesting.   My thoughts and suggestion from another source is
> the Heli PR871.
> >
> > --
> > 73 Bob, K4TAX

> > Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Microphone Qusestion

Bob McGraw - K4TAX
Dave:

Thanks for the suggestion.  I normally do not use a headset thus I'm
interested in only a microphone.  I have a pair of nice Sony
Professional headphones .......... when I use headphones.

Someone suggested the Heil PR 781 as a good choice.

73 Bob, K4TAX

On 7/5/2015 8:08 AM, David Bunte wrote:

> Bob -
>
> I am a CW operator, but wanted to be able to work SSB from time to
> time.  I heard so many K3 users suggest the Yamaha CM500, that I
> tried one... in part because the Heil Pro set I had was not
> comfortable for me.  I can wear it for hours, and when I have used it
> on SSB I have received very good reports.
>
> A friend recently got a K3 and also got the CM500. The first time he
> used the radio was in a state QSO party. He made LOTS of contacts, and
> took first place in his class.  That was his intent... but he was
> surprised, and very pleased, by the number of folks who took time
> during the contest to tell him that he had outstanding audio. He used
> a Heil headset in the past 20 or so QSO parties he entered, with first
> place finishes in about half of them, and NEVER got unsolicited
> compliments on his audio.  That, was, of course, also with a different
> radio.
>
> Many folks have achieved EXCELLENT results for VERY few dollars, by
> mounting an electret element (for just a few dollars), In some manner
> of their own design, and have been happy.  I liked the convince of the
> Yamaha, which plug right into the rear jacks on the K3 (K3S is the
> same)... with no need for adaptors, or connector changes.
>
> Best of luck es 73 de Dave - K9FN
>
> On Jul 5, 2015 8:35 AM, "Mike Reublin NF4L" <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     The K3S has so much audio tailoring built in, pretty much any mic,
>     when properly set up, will garner good audio reports. There's no
>     need to spend cubic dollars on microphones.
>     73, Mike NF4L
>

>     > On Jul 5, 2015, at 7:59 AM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX
>     >
>     > New to the Reflector and new to Elecraft with a K3S on order,
>     what is suggested for a microphone.  Objective is excellent audio
>     with little interest in contesting.   My thoughts and suggestion
>     from another source is the Heli PR871.
>     >
>     > --
>     > 73 Bob, K4TAX
>     >
>     > ______________________________________________________________
>     > Elecraft mailing list
>     > Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
>     > Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
>     > Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     >
>     > This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>     > Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>     > Message delivered to [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

>     Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>
>     This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>     Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>     Message delivered to [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: Microphone Qusestion

David Ahrendts
Bob, you’ll get a hundred suggestions on this list, but the Heil PR781 is a superb choice. Or the Heil Gold Elite. I use the PR781 with the W2IHY EQPlus and 8-band EQ and the combo of the already top notch mich and EQ are superb. Additionally, pushing that fidelity into Elecraft’s ESSB (up to 4kHz) produces an extraordinary result. Best wishes. Happy to demo for you — contact me off list and we can set up a 20M QSO.

David Ahrendts, KC0XT, Los Angeles

> On Jul 5, 2015, at 4:59 AM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> New to the Reflector and new to Elecraft with a K3S on order,  what is suggested for a microphone.  Objective is excellent audio with little interest in contesting.   My thoughts and suggestion from another source is the Heli PR871.
>
> --
> 73 Bob, K4TAX

David Ahrendts   [hidden email]

Re: Microphone Qusestion

Matt Zilmer-3
I use three different types of microphones on the K3, all with similar
results -

- Heil Goldline with H4 and H5 elements, for use in ham shack
- Yamaha CM500 headset, for when the ham shack gets noisy
- A cheap-o computer headset, very lightweight, for field work

The main control to use in set up is the TX EQ.  There are good
guidelines from others on how to set the band gains up.  Using the EQ,
all three mics sounds about the same.

For the EQ, I set the bottom three bands as low as they'll go (-16
dB), then bring it up to 2 dB at 400 Hz, and have some midrange gain
through 3.2 KHz.  The energy below 400 Hz is not useful for
intelligibility.  Others can advise you on exact settings, because
they're audio pros.  Their advice is worth following, imho.

73,
matt
W6NIA

On Sun, 05 Jul 2015 06:59:42 -0500, you wrote:

>New to the Reflector and new to Elecraft with a K3S on order,  what is
>suggested for a microphone.  Objective is excellent audio with little
>interest in contesting.   My thoughts and suggestion from another source
>is the Heli PR871.
Matt Zilmer, W6NIA
--
"Always store beer in a dark place."  -R. Heinlein

Re: Microphone Qusestion

Bill-3
I use a Shure 514B - bullet proof handmic with no switch noise and
excellent audio properties. Tailoring of the TX EQ completes the job.

Hint: Have one or two trusted friends listen to your signal while
adjusting the EQ - they know your voice and what you should sound like.
Too much help will just muddy the waters.

Want a good desk mic? Anything you can put in an arm will do (gets it
off the desk) - and the EQ does all the rest. No need to spend mega
dollars (that is what you have a K3/K3S for).

Bill W2BLC K-Line

Re: Microphone Qusestion

 > Someone suggested the Heil PR 781 as a good choice.

The Heil PR-781 is grossly overpriced.  Any quality dynamic mic will
work very well with the K3/K3S.  For a hand mic look at a Kenwood
MC43S (connector matches the K3) or  Shure 514B or 596B ($43 at B&H
Photovideo).  For a "stick" mic to be mounted on gooseneck/boom, look
at a Shure PGA48 ($35 at B&H Photovideo).  If you need an "off the
shelf" amateur mic, the Kenwood MC60A works fine if you keep the
internal preamp turned off (otherwise it requires a minor rewiring
of the mic plug).

Other manufacturers communications/paging mics can be substituted
for the Shure but they are a good value for reasonable quality.

On 2015-07-05 9:18 AM, Bob McGraw - K4TAX wrote:

> [...]
>>     >
>>     > --
>>     > 73 Bob, K4TAX
>>     >
>>     > ______________________________________________________________
>>     > Elecraft mailing list
>>     > Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
>>     > Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
>>     > Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>     >
>>     > This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>>     > Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>>     > Message delivered to [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

>>     Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>
>>     This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>>     Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>>     Message delivered to [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: Microphone Question

N7US
The PR781 isn't cheap though it is discounted at
http://www.dxstore.com/heil_microphone.html at $139, though you still need a
$33 cable to connect it to the radio - http://www.dxstore.com/heil_acc.html
.

I bought all of my headsets and microphones before I got my K3 in 2009.  I
still have a Shure 444D that I bought in 1970 or so which sounds very good
with the K3.

73, Jim N7US

 > Someone suggested the Heil PR 781 as a good choice.

The Heil PR-781 is grossly overpriced.  Any quality dynamic mic will work
very well with the K3/K3S.  For a hand mic look at a Kenwood MC43S
(connector matches the K3) or  Shure 514B or 596B ($43 at B&H Photovideo).
For a "stick" mic to be mounted on gooseneck/boom, look at a Shure PGA48
($35 at B&H Photovideo).  If you need an "off the shelf" amateur mic, the
Kenwood MC60A works fine if you keep the internal preamp turned off
(otherwise it requires a minor rewiring of the mic plug).

Other manufacturers communications/paging mics can be substituted for the
Shure but they are a good value for reasonable quality.

Re: Microphone Question

Elecraft mailing list
I prefer the Audio Technica MB-3K mike on a boom.  Best reports I have ever had on the K3.  Outside of my FAT HEAD ribbon mike of course.
Mel, K6KBE

On Sun,7/5/2015 7:06 AM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
> The Heil PR-781 is grossly overpriced.  Any quality dynamic mic will
> work very well with the K3/K3S.

Right on both counts. Because I'm retired from pro audio, I have a
closet full of pro mics. All of the dynamic mics work very well with the
K3. Before one of the guys in our club introduced me to the CM500, I
used an RE11 on a boom stand from my music recording stash. I also own
two Sony MDR7506 headsets, which I no longer use in the shack because
the CM500 is so good.

The TX EQ built into the K3 is quite capable, and is all that is needed
to tailor TX audio to a mic and a voice. An external equalizer is a
waste of money. All it takes to use any dynamic mic with a K3 or K3S is
a suitably wired connector or connector adapter cable. For a pro mic
with an XL-connector, wire pin 2 to the mic input, pin 3 to mic return,
and pin 1 to the connector shell. Or if you have a two wire cable
(center plus shield), wire pin 2 to the center conductor and to mic
input, tie 1 and 3 together to the shield, and connect to the K3
connector shell.

Re: Microphone Qusestion

Bob McGraw - K4TAX
Thanks Jim.

Connectors and cable is no issue for me.   I use Neutric connectors and
Mogami 3 conductor shielded cable.  I'll make up something as needed for
the XLR to 8 pin connector depending on the mike I settle with.  I've a
few pro dynamics in my recording studio collection.

Thanks for the suggestions, I always appreciate yours.  I'll be sure and
follow those.

73 Bob, K4TAX

On 7/5/2015 11:49 AM, Jim Brown wrote:

> On Sun,7/5/2015 7:06 AM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
>> The Heil PR-781 is grossly overpriced. Any quality dynamic mic will
>> work very well with the K3/K3S.
>
> Right on both counts. Because I'm retired from pro audio, I have a
> closet full of pro mics. All of the dynamic mics work very well with
> the K3. Before one of the guys in our club introduced me to the CM500,
> I used an RE11 on a boom stand from my music recording stash. I also
> own two Sony MDR7506 headsets, which I no longer use in the shack
> because the CM500 is so good.
>
> The TX EQ built into the K3 is quite capable, and is all that is
> needed to tailor TX audio to a mic and a voice. An external equalizer
> is a waste of money. All it takes to use any dynamic mic with a K3 or
> K3S is a suitably wired connector or connector adapter cable. For a
> pro mic with an XL-connector, wire pin 2 to the mic input, pin 3 to
> mic return, and pin 1 to the connector shell. Or if you have a two
> wire cable (center plus shield), wire pin 2 to the center conductor
> and to mic input, tie 1 and 3 together to the shield, and connect to
> the K3 connector shell.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

Re: Microphone Qusestion

Clive Lorton
On 05/07/2015 15:06, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
> The Heil PR-781 is <snip> but they are a good value for reasonable
> quality.
I always find this thread a waste of time, it come up regularly. The
subject is so personal.  Heil, Yamaha, Shure etc. well as I see its down
to comfort and the sound quality of your voice and/or ears.

My advise would be to try out what your friends use, or go to your local
friendly Ham Radio Store and try some out there. Make your own choice.
Headphones have to be comfortable.  Microphones have to suit your voice.

Just my 2 pence worth from across the pond....

73 Clive G8POC

Re: Microphone Qusestion

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

 > Microphones have to suit your voice.

No, microphones need to be reasonably flat without excess low
frequency response, particularly when worked close.  Beyond that
the K3/K3S TX EQ and noise gate are all anyone needs to achieve
excellent sounding audio with any voice.

Start with TX EQ set to -16, -16, -6, 0, 0, +3, +5, +6 and touch
up the 200 Hz band for your particular voice.  Increasing level
at 200 Hz will provide a bit more low frequency response at the
cost of some "punch" and intelligibility (low frequencies waste
transmitter power).  For the "DX" sound, change +3, +5, +6 (3 dB
per octave pre-emphasis) to +6, +10, +12 (6 dB per octave).

Both the low and high frequency adjustments may change a bit
depending on the response of the microphone.  A "communications"
(e.g. paging or "radio") mic will need less pre-emphasis as some
is built into the mic element.  A recording mic will need even
more low cut because of proximity effect (bass build-up).

On 2015-07-05 1:23 PM, Clive Lorton wrote:

> On 05/07/2015 15:06, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
>> The Heil PR-781 is <snip> but they are a good value for reasonable
>> quality.
> I always find this thread a waste of time, it come up regularly. The
> subject is so personal.  Heil, Yamaha, Shure etc. well as I see its down
> to comfort and the sound quality of your voice and/or ears.
>
> My advise would be to try out what your friends use, or go to your local
> friendly Ham Radio Store and try some out there. Make your own choice.
> Headphones have to be comfortable.  Microphones have to suit your voice.
>
> Just my 2 pence worth from across the pond....
>
> 73 Clive G8POC

Re: Microphone Qusestion

Clive Lorton

On 05/07/2015 19:13, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
> > Microphones have to suit your voice.
> No, microphones need to be reasonably flat without excess low
> frequency response, particularly when worked close.  Beyond that
> the K3/K3S TX EQ and noise gate are all anyone needs to achieve
> excellent sounding audio with any voice.
I disagree......
> Start with TX EQ set to -16, -16, -6, 0, 0, +3, +5, +6 and touch
> up the 200 Hz band for your particular voice.
So you are applying e.q. electronically.  Yes I do that, but you can
also do it acoustically i.e. Shure 444. Those who don't know how a 444
works just cup you hands in front of your mouth and hear the difference
to your voice. That the principle.

Microphones and headphones sound and feel differently. All I am saying
is when purchasing, go for one that you like.  Not one that I like. Not
one that Joe likes.  That's my argument.

The fact that Joe  thinks certain products are over priced is his view,
not necessarily everyone's otherwise Heil would not be in business.

CL    Clive G8POC

Re: Microphone Qusestion

Jim Brown-10
On Sun,7/5/2015 12:31 PM, Clive Lorton wrote:
> The fact that Joe  thinks certain products are over priced is his
> view, not necessarily everyone's

No, it's because Joe (and I) know microphones quite well, and we know
what good stuff costs. Joe is a retired broadcast engineering manager,
I'm retired from four decades in pro audio, including work as a
recording engineer. I'm also a member of the AES Standards Committee and
the Working Group on Microphones.

> otherwise Heil would not be in business.

Heil is in business for the same reason that Bose is in business -- they
spend a lot of money on advertising, and their customers don't know
enough about the product they are selling to know they're being
suckered. In the audio biz, we say of Bose, "better sound through
marketing."  The same applies to Heil.

When I got back on the air in 2003, I was still very busy running my
audio biz, so I bought a used K2/100, which came with a Heil PTT mic
(MH2). I opened it up and found an inexpensive electret capsule that
couldn't have cost more than a buck or two wedged into an opening with a
piece of foam behind it.

Re: Microphone Qusestion

bill steffey
If you prefer to have a microphone that LOOKs like a zillion dollars,,,,,
check out this elecret microphone,,,, which is relatively well built,
and plugs directly into the rear mic jack on the K3.

Sounds like any electret should,,, very fine....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sound-Studio-Dynamic-Mic-Shock-Mount-BM800-Condenser-Microphone-Excellent-TR-/151672992792?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23506a3418

I already have too many microphones, but my variation was 19$ shipped
from China.
Looks great, IF you like that BIG LOOK....so I had to see what I would get.

look under bm-800  ,   also another mic   bm-700  these target gamers......
I worked for Sennheiser then AKG and finally Shure Brothers.( 40
years in audio)
still use an akg paging mic on a goosemeck....

bill

my club   Washington Amateur Communications WACOM  http://www.wacomarc.org/
my dx club   Northern Illinois DX
Association   NIDXA          http://www.nidxa.org/

Re: Microphone Qusestion

The point is that nobody can tell the difference on the air
between a $35 Shure PA48, a $65 Heil HM-12, $155 Heil PR-781
or even a $390 Yaesu MD200A8X for that matter.

We've all wrapped a Solo Cup or cut off paper towel tube around
a Shure 444 or Kenwood MC50, etc. if we've been licensed long enough.
Many of us have soldered capacitors in series with the mic lead over
the years as well in order to "fix" audio deficiencies in older rigs
that did not have effective TX EQ or proper preemphasis - that doesn't
take anything away from those mics.

However, the TX EQ in the K3 is probably the most effective, simple
to use option and it certainly makes the audio racks and W2IHY every
expensive surplus.

On 2015-07-05 4:18 PM, Jim Brown wrote:

> On Sun,7/5/2015 12:31 PM, Clive Lorton wrote:
>> The fact that Joe  thinks certain products are over priced is his
>> view, not necessarily everyone's
>
> No, it's because Joe (and I) know microphones quite well, and we know
> what good stuff costs. Joe is a retired broadcast engineering manager,
> I'm retired from four decades in pro audio, including work as a
> recording engineer. I'm also a member of the AES Standards Committee and
> the Working Group on Microphones.
>
>> otherwise Heil would not be in business.
>
> Heil is in business for the same reason that Bose is in business -- they
> spend a lot of money on advertising, and their customers don't know
> enough about the product they are selling to know they're being
> suckered. In the audio biz, we say of Bose, "better sound through
> marketing."  The same applies to Heil.
>
> When I got back on the air in 2003, I was still very busy running my
> audio biz, so I bought a used K2/100, which came with a Heil PTT mic
> (MH2). I opened it up and found an inexpensive electret capsule that
> couldn't have cost more than a buck or two wedged into an opening with a
> piece of foam behind it.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

Re: Microphone Qusestion

Phil Hystad-3
My two bits…

I use the Elecraft MH2 microphone and it suits me just fine.  Although, I do admit to
being mostly CW so the mic is not the most important part of the hobby.  But, I get
very good audio reports and even though I agree with all the comments about using
TX EQ to make adjustments, I have actually never done that.  I keep putting that off.
Maybe I will do that soon.  But, like I said, the MH2 is very good in my opinion and it
has several advantages:  nice PTT button on the mic is my preferred mode of operation
and it does not take up space on the desktop because I just scoot it out of the way
where it hides most of the time.

73, phil, K7PEH

P.S.  I am not addressing comments to Joe (W4TV) here, just sort of picked on his reply to
add my two-bit comments.

> On Jul 5, 2015, at 11:13 AM, Joe Subich, W4TV <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > Microphones have to suit your voice.
>
> No, microphones need to be reasonably flat without excess low
> frequency response, particularly when worked close.  Beyond that
> the K3/K3S TX EQ and noise gate are all anyone needs to achieve
> excellent sounding audio with any voice.
>
> Start with TX EQ set to -16, -16, -6, 0, 0, +3, +5, +6 and touch
> up the 200 Hz band for your particular voice.  Increasing level
> at 200 Hz will provide a bit more low frequency response at the
> cost of some "punch" and intelligibility (low frequencies waste
> transmitter power).  For the "DX" sound, change +3, +5, +6 (3 dB
> per octave pre-emphasis) to +6, +10, +12 (6 dB per octave).
>
> Both the low and high frequency adjustments may change a bit
> depending on the response of the microphone.  A "communications"
> (e.g. paging or "radio") mic will need less pre-emphasis as some
> is built into the mic element.  A recording mic will need even
> more low cut because of proximity effect (bass build-up).
>
> 73,
>
>  ... Joe, W4TV
>

> On 2015-07-05 1:23 PM, Clive Lorton wrote:
>> On 05/07/2015 15:06, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
>>> The Heil PR-781 is <snip> but they are a good value for reasonable
>>> quality.
>> I always find this thread a waste of time, it come up regularly. The
>> subject is so personal.  Heil, Yamaha, Shure etc. well as I see its down
>> to comfort and the sound quality of your voice and/or ears.
>>
>> My advise would be to try out what your friends use, or go to your local
>> friendly Ham Radio Store and try some out there. Make your own choice.
>> Headphones have to be comfortable.  Microphones have to suit your voice.
>>
>> Just my 2 pence worth from across the pond....
>>
>> 73 Clive G8POC

Re: Microphone Qusestion

A little OT, but Joe is sooo correct.  Starting college, I worked at an
FM station as a member of the TX engineering crew and a board op.  I had
the sign-on shift 3 days a week and was the only one there ... and I
should probably include I was 16 and the engineering crew had minimal
adult supervision.

The mic at the board was the iconic prismatic RCA velocity mic, quite
big and I found that, if I crawled up to it real close while reading the
sign-on script, I sounded like a 45 yr old bass, highly experienced
announcer instead of a 16 yr old teenager.  I think this is true for
most mic types, that velocity mic just may have been the extreme case.

While bass is nice on a 50 Hz to 15 KHz hi-fi broadcast channel playing
classical music [think 1812 Overture], you don't want that on a comm
channel.  K3 TX EQ is extremely effective in tailoring the audio from
most any mic.  I wonder how it would do using a Bell T-1 carbon element
from an old black telephone?

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 50th Running of the Cal QSO Party 3-4 Oct 2015
- www.cqp.org