Quantcast

Musings on a K4

Joe W2KJ
Howdy Gang:

After the introduction to the new KX3, I've been wondering if Elecraft is also giving us a look into a future K4 receiver architecture.

Will they go with a larger size transceiver based on SDR/QSD ala the KX3??  How about a P3 integrated into the K4???

Of course, dual receivers would be included, antenna tuner, etc.

How about 160M-1.2ghz coverage with satellite capability to capture that market too???

Fun thinking about what the future holds for us fortunate Elecraft fans.

I wonder if I am too far off target??? (grin)....what do you think??

                                73, Joe W2KJ
                                I QRP, therefore I am

Musings on a K4 (K2.5 ?)

Able2fly

What would interest me would be a K2.5

Something between the K2 and K3 with the emphasis on intuitive operation and ease of use.

The Ten Tec Eagle could be  a crude example of what I mean, but with Elecraft MOJO...

73, Bill  K3UJ

After the introduction to the new KX3, I've been wondering if Elecraft is also
iving us a look into a future K4 receiver architecture.
Will they go with a larger size transceiver based on SDR/QSD ala the KX3??  How
bout a P3 integrated into the K4???
Of course, dual receivers would be included, antenna tuner, etc.
How about 160M-1.2ghz coverage with satellite capability to capture that market
oo???
Fun thinking about what the future holds for us fortunate Elecraft fans.
I wonder if I am too far off target??? (grin)....what do you think??
                                73, Joe W2KJ
                        I QRP, therefore I am

ost: mailto:[hidden email]
This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
lease help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: Musings on a K4

 > Will they go with a larger size transceiver based on SDR/QSD ala the
 > KX3?

SDR/QSD would clearly be a step backward compared to the K3.  Now, if
you're talking about A-D "at the antenna" and a 120 dB dynamic range
at all signal spacing from 50 Hz to 10 MHz, I'm all for it.  However,
the blocking issues with audio (I/Q) based SDR are well documented and
are not compatible with high receiver performance in an environment
with many signals/strong signals.

On 7/25/2011 4:17 PM, Joseph Trombino, Jr wrote:

> Howdy Gang:
>
> After the introduction to the new KX3, I've been wondering if Elecraft is also giving us a look into a future K4 receiver architecture.
>
> Will they go with a larger size transceiver based on SDR/QSD ala the KX3??  How about a P3 integrated into the K4???
>
> Of course, dual receivers would be included, antenna tuner, etc.
>
> How about 160M-1.2ghz coverage with satellite capability to capture that market too???
>
> Fun thinking about what the future holds for us fortunate Elecraft fans.
>
> I wonder if I am too far off target??? (grin)....what do you think??
>
> 73, Joe W2KJ
> I QRP, therefore I am

Re: Musings on a K4

David Dietrich
I know that many would want to see a "do everything" K4.  However, something like that could price it beyond the reach of most. Also, keeping a rig strictly HF keeps things simple and does not compromise performance.

Just my $0.02 for what it's worth.

73,

David
KC9EHQ

Sent from my iPod

Re: Musings on a K4

Nate Bargmann
* On 2011 25 Jul 20:36 -0500, David Dietrich wrote:
> I know that many would want to see a "do everything" K4.  However, something like that could price it beyond the reach of most. Also, keeping a rig strictly HF keeps things simple and does not compromise performance.

I'm now of the opposite opinion.  Should there ever be a K4 I would hope
for a 2m/70cm rig with the ability to choose modules of 222 MHz, 1.2
GHz, etc. with comparable specs to the K3 and full duplex capable for
satellite work.  Elecraft has HF through 6m covered (yes, I'm aware of
the 2m module which is a "bridge" between the Hfer who wants VHF
capability in the K3 and the hard core denizen of the upper spectrum who
would go for the K4), IMO, especially with the KX3 entering the pipeline
soon.  It's time for a superb rig for the upper part of the spectrum.

73, de Nate >>

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Re: Musings on a K4

wayne burdick
If there's ever a K4, it'll be a game-changer, or we won't bother.

As of right now we're very happy with the K3, thank you :)

On Jul 25, 2011, at 7:08 PM, Nate Bargmann wrote:

> * On 2011 25 Jul 20:36 -0500, David Dietrich wrote:
>> I know that many would want to see a "do everything" K4.  However,
>> something like that could price it beyond the reach of most. Also,
>> keeping a rig strictly HF keeps things simple and does not
>> compromise performance.
>
> I'm now of the opposite opinion.  Should there ever be a K4 I would
> hope
> for a 2m/70cm rig with the ability to choose modules of 222 MHz, 1.2
> GHz, etc. with comparable specs to the K3 and full duplex capable for
> satellite work.  Elecraft has HF through 6m covered (yes, I'm aware of
> the 2m module which is a "bridge" between the Hfer who wants VHF
> capability in the K3 and the hard core denizen of the upper spectrum
> who
> would go for the K4), IMO, especially with the KX3 entering the
> pipeline
> soon.  It's time for a superb rig for the upper part of the spectrum.
>
> 73, de Nate >>
>
> --
>
> "The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all
> possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."
>
> Ham radio, Linux, bikes, and more: http://www.n0nb.us

Re: Musings on a K4

k5oai
satisfying the unsatisfiable
seems like a pretty thankless job sometimes doesn't it?

GB & 73
K5OAI
Sam Morgan

On 7/25/2011 9:34 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> If there's ever a K4, it'll be a game-changer, or we won't bother.
>
> As of right now we're very happy with the K3, thank you :)
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR
>

> On Jul 25, 2011, at 7:08 PM, Nate Bargmann wrote:
>
>> * On 2011 25 Jul 20:36 -0500, David Dietrich wrote:
>>> I know that many would want to see a "do everything" K4.  However,
>>> something like that could price it beyond the reach of most. Also,
>>> keeping a rig strictly HF keeps things simple and does not
>>> compromise performance.
>>
>> I'm now of the opposite opinion.  Should there ever be a K4 I would
>> hope
>> for a 2m/70cm rig with the ability to choose modules of 222 MHz, 1.2
>> GHz, etc. with comparable specs to the K3 and full duplex capable for
>> satellite work.  Elecraft has HF through 6m covered (yes, I'm aware of
>> the 2m module which is a "bridge" between the Hfer who wants VHF
>> capability in the K3 and the hard core denizen of the upper spectrum
>> who
>> would go for the K4), IMO, especially with the KX3 entering the
>> pipeline
>> soon.  It's time for a superb rig for the upper part of the spectrum.
>>
>> 73, de Nate>>
>>
>> --
>>
>> "The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all
>> possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."
>>
>> Ham radio, Linux, bikes, and more: http://www.n0nb.us

Re: Musings on a K4

Ken Alexander-2
Uh huh!  That's what I thought just before you dropped the KX3 bomb on
us!  :-)

73,

Ken Alexander
VE3HLS

On 25/07/2011 10:34 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> If there's ever a K4, it'll be a game-changer, or we won't bother.
>
> As of right now we're very happy with the K3, thank you :)
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR
>

> On Jul 25, 2011, at 7:08 PM, Nate Bargmann wrote:
>
>> * On 2011 25 Jul 20:36 -0500, David Dietrich wrote:
>>> I know that many would want to see a "do everything" K4.  However,
>>> something like that could price it beyond the reach of most. Also,
>>> keeping a rig strictly HF keeps things simple and does not
>>> compromise performance.
>> I'm now of the opposite opinion.  Should there ever be a K4 I would
>> hope
>> for a 2m/70cm rig with the ability to choose modules of 222 MHz, 1.2
>> GHz, etc. with comparable specs to the K3 and full duplex capable for
>> satellite work.  Elecraft has HF through 6m covered (yes, I'm aware of
>> the 2m module which is a "bridge" between the Hfer who wants VHF
>> capability in the K3 and the hard core denizen of the upper spectrum
>> who
>> would go for the K4), IMO, especially with the KX3 entering the
>> pipeline
>> soon.  It's time for a superb rig for the upper part of the spectrum.
>>
>> 73, de Nate>>
>>
>> --
>>
>> "The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all
>> possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."
>>
>> Ham radio, Linux, bikes, and more: http://www.n0nb.us

Re: Musings on a K4

Stephen G4SJP
On 26 July 2011 03:34, Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If there's ever a K4, it'll be a game-changer, or we won't bother.
>
> As of right now we're very happy with the K3, thank you :)
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR

 My bank manager has just heaved a sigh of relief!

73, Stephen G4SJP

Re: Musings on a K4

Edward R Cole
Yes, a game changer:

Small 2x2x3 inch block containing an organic computer with 78-GHz
waveguide flange with something like radiating fiberoptic interface
to a set of eyeglasses with LCD display and direct aural nerve
docking interface so one would only need to think the words which
would be converted into Quantum-modulation.  Question is will it be
ham radio?  oooweee beam me up!

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45

K4

Chris W7CTH
I think that if Elecaft made a K4 that will do what the Kenwood radios will do.(UHF,VHF,1.2,SAT and so on) This will take away from what the K3 is all about.

Just my input..
Chris W7CTH

Re: K4

Daniel Brown
A purpose built VHF/UHF/uWave and Satellite focused rig would be great
- small section of the market, likely, but would be great for those of
us who are interested there.

73,
N8YSZ.

--
Dan Brown
[hidden email]

Re: Musings on a K4

Gary Gregory
Ed,

The LCD display would need to be holographic in nature in keeping with the
'Game Changer' mantra.

Grin

Gary

On 26 July 2011 19:18, Edward R. Cole <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, a game changer:
>
> Small 2x2x3 inch block containing an organic computer with 78-GHz
> waveguide flange with something like radiating fiberoptic interface
> to a set of eyeglasses with LCD display and direct aural nerve
> docking interface so one would only need to think the words which
> would be converted into Quantum-modulation.  Question is will it be
> ham radio?  oooweee beam me up!
>

> 73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45

VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
Elecraft Equipment
K3 #679, KPA-500 #018
Living the dream!!!

K4 musings

Craig Smith
As long as we are in "dream mode", here's mine:

160 thru 10 meters
CW only
200 W output
Multi-color display
Built in power supply
Built in "P3" processing functionality but only VGA connector for external
display
Internal and remote external tuner options

73   Craig   AC0DS

Re: Musings on a K4

Dyarnes-2
K3UJ's hypohetical musings on something like a "K2.5" are bound to be
answered eventually in some form or fashion by the folks at Elecraft.  I
have no idea if that is precisely where they will focus, but one thing I
know for sure--Wayne and Eric are not the least bit lacking in imagination!
That fact has been proven several times, and most recently with the
announcement of the KX3.  Half the fun of being an Elecraft devotee is
staying tuned in to see what they will come up with next.  They have
judiciously added talent to the team to the point that I doubt there is much
they couldn't produce, provided it made sense to do it.  The trick is to
keep all this talent effectively busy, so I strongly suspect there are a
number of things on the drawing board right now.  We just have to wait and
see what's next.  It's kind of like Christmas, except it can come at any
time!

Dave W7AQK

=======
http://www.pctools.com/
=======

Re: Musings on a K4

Alan Bloom
On Tue, 2011-07-26 at 07:17 -0700, David Yarnes wrote:
> ... They have
> judiciously added talent to the team to the point that I doubt there is much
> they couldn't produce, provided it made sense to do it.  The trick is to
> keep all this talent effectively busy, ...

They do an excellent job of that!

Alan N1AL

Re: K4

Andy McMullin

I concur there. Wouldn't take the K3 market, but rather open a new one that  appears to be not as well supplied. I'd go for it.

--
sent whilst mobile;
Andy, G8TQH

On 26 Jul 2011, at 14:08, Daniel Brown wrote:

> A purpose built VHF/UHF/uWave and Satellite focused rig would be great
> - small section of the market, likely, but would be great for those of
> us who are interested there.
>
> 73,
> N8YSZ.
>
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 9:01 AM, Chris Hembree <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I think that if Elecaft made a K4 that will do what the Kenwood radios will do.(UHF,VHF,1.2,SAT and so on) This will take away from what the K3 is all about.
>>
>> Just my input..
>> Chris W7CTH
>

> --
> Dan Brown
> [hidden email]
> http://www.brauhaus.org
> http://www.dc-beer.org
> http://photos.brauhaus.org

Re: K4

K6LMP
There once was sold an excellent rig (for its day) sold by Yaesu called the FT-736r. It was designed and marketed primarily for satellite work, but became very popular among VHF-UHF contesters.  In fact, I know of quite  few who still use it, but they are looking for alternatives, since the '736 is becoming unreliable with age.

The FT-736r had internal slot for four band-specific modules (transverters); the owner could mix and match among 6 meter, 2 meter, 220, 440, and 1296 mhz SSB. The modules were rated for 25 watts output through 220 mHz and 20 watts on 440 and above. Its receiver was not very impressive compared with what you can get with a K3 and transverters, but those who own it love it.

Given the physical size and relatively high running temp of existing Elecraft transverters, my guess is that they'd have to be redesigned for slightly less power output to fit within the K3 case on a K3-based motherboard. But 16 watts out from a transverter module into an amplifier with 15 db gain would yield 500 watts out, and that's plenty for the uses such a rig would be put to.   Marry a "K4" to a purpose-built VHF/UHF amplifier (akin to the KPA-500) and you would have a killer rig for VHF-UHF contesting.

As for price, take a look at the eHam reviews of the FT-736r. The basic unit sells today for more than $500, even though decades old, and the "scarce" 222 mhz and 1296 mHz modules sometimes fetch $1,000 on eBay. People who are into satellite work and VHF/UHF contesting would fight for a place in line to buy such a rig, and for many it would be a bargain compared with trying to set up a complete FT-736r. If space allowed, five bands would be even better, but since most VHF/UHF contesters use a separate rig for 6 meters anyway, you could get by with four, covering 2m, 1.25 m, 70 cm, and 23 cm bands. You can easily spend $3k or $4k to put together a comparably equipped FT-736, which  suggests that the market would accept a price of up to $5k for a new and very high-quality rig such as the hypothetical K4.

And it absolutely would not pirate sales from the K3, although it would put a dent in sales of transverters. Please don't think that's a reason for not producing such a radio.  If Elecraft followed that philosophy we'd not have the K3 or KX3.

I would sell my car and walk 25 miles to work to get a "K4".

Lew K6LMP

> On 26 Jul 2011, at 14:08, Daniel Brown wrote:
>
>> A purpose built VHF/UHF/uWave and Satellite focused rig would be great
>> - small section of the market, likely, but would be great for those of
>> us who are interested there.
>>
>> 73,
>> N8YSZ.

Re: K4

Gary Gregory
Lew,

Although I am HF only, you put a very strong case for a K4 as you describe.
I wonder now if the minds at elecraft are working on a similar
scheme....Hmmmmmm

Gary

On 27 July 2011 10:05, Lew Phelps K6LMP <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There once was sold an excellent rig (for its day) sold by Yaesu called the
> FT-736r. It was designed and marketed primarily for satellite work, but
> became very popular among VHF-UHF contesters.  In fact, I know of quite  few
> who still use it, but they are looking for alternatives, since the '736 is
> becoming unreliable with age.
>
> The FT-736r had internal slot for four band-specific modules
> (transverters); the owner could mix and match among 6 meter, 2 meter, 220,
> 440, and 1296 mhz SSB. The modules were rated for 25 watts output through
> 220 mHz and 20 watts on 440 and above. Its receiver was not very impressive
> compared with what you can get with a K3 and transverters, but those who own
> it love it.
>
> Given the physical size and relatively high running temp of existing
> Elecraft transverters, my guess is that they'd have to be redesigned for
> slightly less power output to fit within the K3 case on a K3-based
> motherboard. But 16 watts out from a transverter module into an amplifier
> with 15 db gain would yield 500 watts out, and that's plenty for the uses
> such a rig would be put to.   Marry a "K4" to a purpose-built VHF/UHF
> amplifier (akin to the KPA-500) and you would have a killer rig for VHF-UHF
> contesting.
>
> As for price, take a look at the eHam reviews of the FT-736r. The basic
> unit sells today for more than $500, even though decades old, and the
> "scarce" 222 mhz and 1296 mHz modules sometimes fetch $1,000 on eBay. People
> who are into satellite work and VHF/UHF contesting would fight for a place
> in line to buy such a rig, and for many it would be a bargain compared with
> trying to set up a complete FT-736r. If space allowed, five bands would be
> even better, but since most VHF/UHF contesters use a separate rig for 6
> meters anyway, you could get by with four, covering 2m, 1.25 m, 70 cm, and
> 23 cm bands. You can easily spend $3k or $4k to put together a comparably
> equipped FT-736, which  suggests that the market would accept a price of up
> to $5k for a new and very high-quality rig such as the hypothetical K4.
>
> And it absolutely would not pirate sales from the K3, although it would put
> a dent in sales of transverters. Please don't think that's a reason for not
> producing such a radio.  If Elecraft followed that philosophy we'd not have
> the K3 or KX3.
>

> I would sell my car and walk 25 miles to work to get a "K4".
>
> Lew K6LMP
>

> > On 26 Jul 2011, at 14:08, Daniel Brown wrote:
> >
> >> A purpose built VHF/UHF/uWave and Satellite focused rig would be great
> >> - small section of the market, likely, but would be great for those of
> >> us who are interested there.
> >>
> >> 73,
> >> N8YSZ.

VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
Elecraft Equipment
K3 #679, KPA-500 #018
Living the dream!!!

Re: K4

Jeff Cochrane - VK4XA
Agreed Gary,
Lew sure does put the case forward rather eloquently doesn't he?
If Elecraft made a rig like Lew described, I would purchase one in a heartbeat.
Although I love my K3 and my soon to arrive KPA500, my first love in Amateur Radio
was and remains VHF/UHF operation. (6m and up)

73 de
Jeff Cochrane - VK4BOF
Elecraft K3 # 4257 + K144XV + KPA500 + PR6 = A multi-band contesters wet dream!

> Although I am HF only, you put a very strong case for a K4 as you describe.
> I wonder now if the minds at elecraft are working on a similar
> scheme....Hmmmmmm
>
> Gary
>
> On 27 July 2011 10:05, Lew Phelps K6LMP <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> There once was sold an excellent rig (for its day) sold by Yaesu called the
>> FT-736r. It was designed and marketed primarily for satellite work, but
>> became very popular among VHF-UHF contesters.  In fact, I know of quite  few
>> who still use it, but they are looking for alternatives, since the '736 is
>> becoming unreliable with age.
>>
>> The FT-736r had internal slot for four band-specific modules
>> (transverters); the owner could mix and match among 6 meter, 2 meter, 220,
>> 440, and 1296 mhz SSB. The modules were rated for 25 watts output through
>> 220 mHz and 20 watts on 440 and above. Its receiver was not very impressive
>> compared with what you can get with a K3 and transverters, but those who own
>> it love it.
>>
>> Given the physical size and relatively high running temp of existing
>> Elecraft transverters, my guess is that they'd have to be redesigned for
>> slightly less power output to fit within the K3 case on a K3-based
>> motherboard. But 16 watts out from a transverter module into an amplifier
>> with 15 db gain would yield 500 watts out, and that's plenty for the uses
>> such a rig would be put to.   Marry a "K4" to a purpose-built VHF/UHF
>> amplifier (akin to the KPA-500) and you would have a killer rig for VHF-UHF
>> contesting.
>>
>> As for price, take a look at the eHam reviews of the FT-736r. The basic
>> unit sells today for more than $500, even though decades old, and the
>> "scarce" 222 mhz and 1296 mHz modules sometimes fetch $1,000 on eBay. People
>> who are into satellite work and VHF/UHF contesting would fight for a place
>> in line to buy such a rig, and for many it would be a bargain compared with
>> trying to set up a complete FT-736r. If space allowed, five bands would be
>> even better, but since most VHF/UHF contesters use a separate rig for 6
>> meters anyway, you could get by with four, covering 2m, 1.25 m, 70 cm, and
>> 23 cm bands. You can easily spend $3k or $4k to put together a comparably
>> equipped FT-736, which  suggests that the market would accept a price of up
>> to $5k for a new and very high-quality rig such as the hypothetical K4.
>>
>> And it absolutely would not pirate sales from the K3, although it would put
>> a dent in sales of transverters. Please don't think that's a reason for not
>> producing such a radio.  If Elecraft followed that philosophy we'd not have
>> the K3 or KX3.
>>

>> I would sell my car and walk 25 miles to work to get a "K4".

> VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
> Elecraft Equipment
> K3 #679, KPA-500 #018
> Living the dream!!!