My first Field Day...Wow... what a rush!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

My first Field Day...Wow... what a rush!

Phillip Lontz
I got to be the gota op for the Chama, NM W5YA club. Oh My God! I had a really good time. Everyone had K3's running 5 watts. This group of hams were amazing. (Lots of FOC's) and SOTA goats. The speed at which they worked was shocking. The site was at 8000 ft about sea level up on a ridge that runs north south. Antennas set up to work east and west. 80 meter loops 40 meter moxons (electrically reversible) 20 moxons 15 moxons various e x d Zepps 40 loops verts all battery  and solar, miles from nowhere. The road to the site... Well it was bulldozed at one time but steep and rocky. Bugs, yes there were bugs, elk, deer, bear, and bugs. But there were cigars beer ( for those off duty) cAmping tents vans cook,stoves bugs.
The smell,of fresh coffee in the early am with sound of  CQ FD CQ FD was intoxicating. True gentleman all.
I am tired, bug bitten but with a new love for Elecraft and N1MM and CW ops.
Thank you one and all.
Phil K5SSR

Non judgment day is coming.

Sent from my iPad
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: My first Field Day...Wow... what a rush!

Mike Markowski-2
Sounds fun, Phil!  I wasn't quite so far from home.  I operated from the
exceedingly remote and primitive conditions of my back deck.  Scant
remains of a single bottle of Scotch provided sustenance for the event.
  Luckily it and the 7.5 Ah battery held out for the duration.  Such
difficult conditions anytime soon would be taxing, but 79 contacts at 5
W, including Germany, no doubt leave the top guns slack jawed and
envious.  (Laughter?  Is that laughter?...)

More seriously, you can see my watch for logging attached to the stand
of the K1.  There are also small "paddlettes" with red finger pieces.
There was something refreshing about sitting out back with a few sheets
of paper, pencil and radio.  Most ops were sending at 25 wpm or less.  A
fun few hours, highly recommended.  Pic of me (also submitted to arrl
soapbox), the K1, a single malt:

    http://udel.edu/~mm/ham/fd2013/fd2013-i.jpg

73,
Mike ab3ap  '1B EPA'

On 06/23/2013 08:54 PM, Philip Townsend Lontz wrote:
> I got to be the gota op for the Chama, NM W5YA club. Oh My God! I had
> a really good time. Everyone had K3's running 5 watts. [...]
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: My first Field Day...Wow... what a rush!

Rick Prather-2
In reply to this post by Phillip Lontz
Phillip,

Thanks for the very positive post.  

Been a few years since I did a club field day.  Your post makes me wish I didn't have to wait a year to get out and do it again!

73,
Rick
K6LE

On 6/23/2013, at 5:54 , Philip Townsend Lontz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I got to be the gota op for the Chama, NM W5YA club. Oh My God! I had a really good time. Everyone had K3's running 5 watts. This group of hams were amazing. (Lots of FOC's) and SOTA goats. The speed at which they worked was shocking. The site was at 8000 ft about sea level up on a ridge that runs north south. Antennas set up to work east and west. 80 meter loops 40 meter moxons (electrically reversible) 20 moxons 15 moxons various e x d Zepps 40 loops verts all battery  and solar, miles from nowhere. The road to the site... Well it was bulldozed at one time but steep and rocky. Bugs, yes there were bugs, elk, deer, bear, and bugs. But there were cigars beer ( for those off duty) cAmping tents vans cook,stoves bugs.
> The smell,of fresh coffee in the early am with sound of  CQ FD CQ FD was intoxicating. True gentleman all.
> I am tired, bug bitten but with a new love for Elecraft and N1MM and CW ops.
> Thank you one and all.
> Phil K5SSR
>
> Non judgment day is coming.
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: My first Field Day...Wow... what a rush!

Gary Gregory-2
In reply to this post by Mike Markowski-2
Gee, you guys almost got it figured out.

Motorhome, beer, k-line, beer, antennas, beer, solar power, beer,
batteries, beer.......downunder we try hard to keep up......

Gary
Vk1ZZ
K3, KX3, KPA500-FT, KAT500-FT,P3.
On 24/06/2013 11:11 AM, "Mike Markowski" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sounds fun, Phil!  I wasn't quite so far from home.  I operated from the
> exceedingly remote and primitive conditions of my back deck.  Scant remains
> of a single bottle of Scotch provided sustenance for the event.  Luckily it
> and the 7.5 Ah battery held out for the duration.  Such difficult
> conditions anytime soon would be taxing, but 79 contacts at 5 W, including
> Germany, no doubt leave the top guns slack jawed and envious.  (Laughter?
>  Is that laughter?...)
>
> More seriously, you can see my watch for logging attached to the stand of
> the K1.  There are also small "paddlettes" with red finger pieces. There
> was something refreshing about sitting out back with a few sheets of paper,
> pencil and radio.  Most ops were sending at 25 wpm or less.  A fun few
> hours, highly recommended.  Pic of me (also submitted to arrl soapbox), the
> K1, a single malt:
>
>    http://udel.edu/~mm/ham/**fd2013/fd2013-i.jpg<http://udel.edu/~mm/ham/fd2013/fd2013-i.jpg>
>
> 73,
> Mike ab3ap  '1B EPA'
>
> On 06/23/2013 08:54 PM, Philip Townsend Lontz wrote:
>
>> I got to be the gota op for the Chama, NM W5YA club. Oh My God! I had
>> a really good time. Everyone had K3's running 5 watts. [...]
>>
> ______________________________**______________________________**__
> Elecraft mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/**mailman/listinfo/elecraft<http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft>
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.**htm<http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm>
> Post: mailto:[hidden email].**net <[hidden email]>
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: My first Field Day...Wow... what a rush!

W4SK
In reply to this post by Phillip Lontz
My 40-somethingth Field Day, but the first with my KX-3.

Small lithium ion battery ran it all weekend, at the 5w level.

Superior receiver, superior blocking, and superior fun.

Did I mention "superior"?

-W4SK
________________________________
John T. Gwin
[hidden email]
[hidden email]
----- Original Message -----
From: "Philip Townsend Lontz" <[hidden email]>
To: "Elecraft Reflector" <[hidden email]>
Sent: Sunday, June 23, 2013 7:54 PM
Subject: [Elecraft] My first Field Day...Wow... what a rush!


>I got to be the gota op for the Chama, NM W5YA club. Oh My God! I had a
>really good time. Everyone had K3's running 5 watts.......
> Phil K5SSR
>
> Non judgment day is coming.
>
> Sent from my iPad
> ______________________________________________________________
> Elecraft mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>
>
> -----
> No virus found in this message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
> Version: 2013.0.3345 / Virus Database: 3199/6433 - Release Date: 06/23/13
>

______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: My first Field Day...Wow... what a rush!

KC6CNN
In reply to this post by Gary Gregory-2
I agree with you Gary. Here in Texas we add BBQ also.
Who needs an excuse to get out and operate. Have motorhome will travel.
 On Jun 23, 2013 8:17 PM, "Gary Gregory" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Gee, you guys almost got it figured out.
>
> Motorhome, beer, k-line, beer, antennas, beer, solar power, beer,
> batteries, beer.......downunder we try hard to keep up......
>
> Gary
> Vk1ZZ
> K3, KX3, KPA500-FT, KAT500-FT,P3.
> On 24/06/2013 11:11 AM, "Mike Markowski" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Sounds fun, Phil!  I wasn't quite so far from home.  I operated from the
> > exceedingly remote and primitive conditions of my back deck.  Scant
> remains
> > of a single bottle of Scotch provided sustenance for the event.  Luckily
> it
> > and the 7.5 Ah battery held out for the duration.  Such difficult
> > conditions anytime soon would be taxing, but 79 contacts at 5 W,
> including
> > Germany, no doubt leave the top guns slack jawed and envious.  (Laughter?
> >  Is that laughter?...)
> >
> > More seriously, you can see my watch for logging attached to the stand of
> > the K1.  There are also small "paddlettes" with red finger pieces. There
> > was something refreshing about sitting out back with a few sheets of
> paper,
> > pencil and radio.  Most ops were sending at 25 wpm or less.  A fun few
> > hours, highly recommended.  Pic of me (also submitted to arrl soapbox),
> the
> > K1, a single malt:
> >
> >    http://udel.edu/~mm/ham/**fd2013/fd2013-i.jpg<
> http://udel.edu/~mm/ham/fd2013/fd2013-i.jpg>
> >
> > 73,
> > Mike ab3ap  '1B EPA'
> >
> > On 06/23/2013 08:54 PM, Philip Townsend Lontz wrote:
> >
> >> I got to be the gota op for the Chama, NM W5YA club. Oh My God! I had
> >> a really good time. Everyone had K3's running 5 watts. [...]
> >>
> > ______________________________**______________________________**__
> > Elecraft mailing list
> > Home: http://mailman.qth.net/**mailman/listinfo/elecraft<
> http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft>
> > Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.**htm<
> http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm>
> > Post: mailto:[hidden email].**net <[hidden email]>
> >
> > This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> > Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
> >
> ______________________________________________________________
> Elecraft mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
>
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
KC6CNN - Gerald
K3 # 6294
KX3 # 757
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: My first Field Day...Wow... what a rush!

Keith Heimbold
In reply to this post by Gary Gregory-2
Field day 2E running K3 and one other portable rig on solar and batteries at 5W. So nice.

No beer because I was pretty sick the past week but enjoyed 35 contacts with my buddy Bruce (both of us K3 owners) over a period of four hours on 6, 15, 20, 40. My second ever field day (active, did not participate last year), and at home with my ten month old son, Max, on my lap enjoying the experience with me. Cheese, crackers and grapes appetizer with view of the San Diego bay and the pacific. This was the best field day ever and my son Maximiliano there with me, my wife and Bruce made it special.

One special note on the super killer K3. I heard that JA was working the west coast on 6m while on field day duty. I broke down the station with the K3 under my arm and ran to the house to set it back up with my normal gear. Five minutes later I was able to work my first JA station on 6m ever CW. And the K3 and my microkeyer 2 in perfect combination made it happen. Good contact on 6m. Made my second ever active field day so super awesome! I love my K3!

Keith
AK6ZZ

Sent from my iPhone please excuse typos

On Jun 23, 2013, at 6:17 PM, "Gary Gregory" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Gee, you guys almost got it figured out.
>
> Motorhome, beer, k-line, beer, antennas, beer, solar power, beer,
> batteries, beer.......downunder we try hard to keep up......
>
> Gary
> Vk1ZZ
> K3, KX3, KPA500-FT, KAT500-FT,P3.
> On 24/06/2013 11:11 AM, "Mike Markowski" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Sounds fun, Phil!  I wasn't quite so far from home.  I operated from the
>> exceedingly remote and primitive conditions of my back deck.  Scant remains
>> of a single bottle of Scotch provided sustenance for the event.  Luckily it
>> and the 7.5 Ah battery held out for the duration.  Such difficult
>> conditions anytime soon would be taxing, but 79 contacts at 5 W, including
>> Germany, no doubt leave the top guns slack jawed and envious.  (Laughter?
>> Is that laughter?...)
>>
>> More seriously, you can see my watch for logging attached to the stand of
>> the K1.  There are also small "paddlettes" with red finger pieces. There
>> was something refreshing about sitting out back with a few sheets of paper,
>> pencil and radio.  Most ops were sending at 25 wpm or less.  A fun few
>> hours, highly recommended.  Pic of me (also submitted to arrl soapbox), the
>> K1, a single malt:
>>
>>  http://udel.edu/~mm/ham/**fd2013/fd2013-i.jpg<http://udel.edu/~mm/ham/fd2013/fd2013-i.jpg>
>>
>> 73,
>> Mike ab3ap  '1B EPA'
>>
>> On 06/23/2013 08:54 PM, Philip Townsend Lontz wrote:
>>
>>> I got to be the gota op for the Chama, NM W5YA club. Oh My God! I had
>>> a really good time. Everyone had K3's running 5 watts. [...]
>> ______________________________**______________________________**__
>> Elecraft mailing list
>> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/**mailman/listinfo/elecraft<http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft>
>> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.**htm<http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm>
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email].**net <[hidden email]>
>>
>> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
> ______________________________________________________________
> Elecraft mailing list
> Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: My first Field Day...Wow... what a rush!

Bill W4ZV
In reply to this post by Rick Prather-2
Rick Prather-2 wrote
Your post makes me wish I didn't have to wait a year to get out and do it again!
You don't need to wait.  Discover Summits On The Air (SOTA) and you can do it any time you like!

http://www.sota.org.uk/

73,  Bill  W4ZV
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: My first Field Day...Wow... what a rush!

Glen Johnstone
In reply to this post by Phillip Lontz
...and let's not forget that excellent 6 meter opening Sunday morning.  Worked everything from SFL to NTX including Guadeloupe from EPA with the KX3!

Glen, NK1N
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: My first Field Day...Wow... what a rush!

hf4me
In reply to this post by Bill W4ZV
Coming soon - Catch "13 Colonies" the week of July 4th, 13 colony stations
plus one extra station - get the certificate.  Then work "Route 66 On The
Air" September 7 - 15 all modes and bands, 5 "endorsements", work 'em all
for a clean sweep, get the certificate.  See W6P on QRZ for details and
links.  We worked 4825 contacts from the St Louis area last year and the
event made over 36000 contacts overall.  9 days, lots of fun.

73, Jim KG0KP - W6P

-----Original Message-----
From: [hidden email]
[mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Bill W4ZV
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2013 4:58 AM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] My first Field Day...Wow... what a rush!

Rick Prather-2 wrote
> Your post makes me wish I didn't have to wait a year to get out and do
> it again!

You don't need to wait.  Discover Summits On The Air (SOTA) and you can do
it any time you like!

http://www.sota.org.uk/

73,  Bill  W4ZV




--
View this message in context:
http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/My-first-Field-Day-Wow-what-a-rush-tp75
75713p7575726.html
Sent from the Elecraft mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html


______________________________________________________________
Elecraft mailing list
Home: http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/elecraft
Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html