N8LP Tuning Relay w/ K3/KPA500 - help, please

N8LP Tuning Relay w/ K3/KPA500 - help, please

Hunsdon Cary III
Elecraft Reflector participants:
If any of y’all use the N8LP tuning relay w/ your K3 and KPA500, I appreciate your help.
My kit went together smoothly and all ohm meter checks A-OK. When I plug the relay into the SteppIR control box the green light comes on.
I have RCA phono plug cable running from the PTT connection on the relay to the PTT In connector on K3 and another from the PA Key on Amp to the LOOP plug on Relay box.
When I key PTT while SteppIR is tuning, KPA500 does not switch to standby as I believe it should.
Obviously I’m doing something wrong.  I even tried the Key Out connection on the K3 but that didn’t work either.
Any thoughts would be appreciated!
73,
Cary, K4TM
Lynchburg VA
H. Cary III

Re: N8LP Tuning Relay w/ K3/KPA500 - help, please

N7US
Cary,

I think it will work as you want if you use the small interrupter between
the end of the cable from the K3 where it attaches to the KPA500.

73, Jim N7US

[...]

Jim:
I found my "interrupter" and, yes, pin 10 had been removed - I installed it. Unfortunately, my amp still doesn't switch to "standby" when transmitting while SteppIR is tuning.
Headed to Richmond Va for the day, I'll get back to it this evening!
Tnx for your help!
73,
Cary, K4TM
Lynchburg VA

Sent from my iPhone in Lynchburg VA.

> On Jul 22, 2014, at 10:33 PM, "Jim N7US" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Do you have the cable that goes between the K3 and the KPA500?  If so, a 15-pin gender changer with yellow tape around it should have been included.  Look in the manual for "interrupter."  It has pin 10 removed, which I think/believe is the PTT for the KPA500.  By using the interrupter you will have to key the amplifier with the connection you now have through the N8LP relay (I have one too, but I use it to prevent my 87A, my second amplifier, from transmitting when the antenna is tuning.)
>
> Here, I found it on page 20:
>
> <image001.png>
>
> 73, Jim N7US

Dick Dievendorff-4
When you interrupt the amplifier key line, the amplifier doesn't visibly
switch from operate to standby. The amp doesn't provide gain unless the
amplifier is in Operate AND the key line is pulled low.

73 de Dick, K6KR

I found my "interrupter" and, yes, pin 10 had been removed - I installed it.
Unfortunately, my amp still doesn't switch to "standby" when transmitting
while SteppIR is tuning.
Headed to Richmond Va for the day, I'll get back to it this evening!
Tnx for your help!
73,
Cary, K4TM
Lynchburg VA

Sent from my iPhone in Lynchburg VA.

> On Jul 22, 2014, at 10:33 PM, "Jim N7US" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Do you have the cable that goes between the K3 and the KPA500?  If so,
> a 15-pin gender changer with yellow tape around it should have been
> included.  Look in the manual for "interrupter."  It has pin 10
> removed, which I think/believe is the PTT for the KPA500.  By using
> the interrupter you will have to key the amplifier with the connection
> you now have through the N8LP relay (I have one too, but I use it to
> prevent my 87A, my second amplifier, from transmitting when the
> antenna is tuning.)
>
> Here, I found it on page 20:
>
> <image001.png>
>
> 73, Jim N7US

Mike K2MK
Hi Cary,

Be careful. Until you get this figured out you can damage your antenna by pumping high power into it during tuning. I suggest that you switch to a dummy load while you are experimenting.

You said you have the phono cable running from the relay to the PTT In connector on the K3. This is NOT correct. You want to run the cable from the KEY OUT connector on the K3 to the N8LP relay.

Next you will have to use the key interruptor on the 15 pin cable as others have advised.

Finally the KPA500 will not go into Standby. It will stay in Operate but it will just sit there. It won't operate because there is no permissive signal.

And one last thought. Make sure you have adjusted the pot on the N8LP relay such that the red LED lights when the SteppIR is tuning.

73,
Mike K2MK

Hunsdon Cary III wrote
Elecraft Reflector participants:
If any of y’all use the N8LP tuning relay w/ your K3 and KPA500, I appreciate your help.
My kit went together smoothly and all ohm meter checks A-OK. When I plug the relay into the SteppIR control box the green light comes on.
I have RCA phono plug cable running from the PTT connection on the relay to the PTT In connector on K3 and another from the PA Key on Amp to the LOOP plug on Relay box.
When I key PTT while SteppIR is tuning, KPA500 does not switch to standby as I believe it should.
Obviously I’m doing something wrong.  I even tried the Key Out connection on the K3 but that didn’t work either.
Any thoughts would be appreciated!
73,
Cary, K4TM

N8LP Tuning Relay success

Hunsdon Cary III
Dick, Jim, & Pete (W4WWQ):
    Thanks for your help.  N8LP Tuning Relay now working as advertised.
The “Interrupter” was key to getting it to work and once, with the help of Dick & Pete, I figured the phono plug on the K3 belonged on the Key Out jack and not the PTT jack,
it works perfectly.  As Dick explained, the KPA500 will not switch from Operate to Standby but there is no power output and no LED’s are lighting
up while the SteppIR is tuning - this is one slick little box!
     Again, thanks for your help!
        73,
        Cary, K4TM
        Lynchburg VA

K3-100 #3448, KPA500 #0698, SteppIR 3-element @ 42'

On Jul 22, 2014, at 10:33 PM, Jim N7US <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Do you have the cable that goes between the K3 and the KPA500?  If so, a 15-pin gender changer with yellow tape around it should have been included.  Look in the manual for "interrupter."  It has pin 10 removed, which I think/believe is the PTT for the KPA500.  By using the interrupter you will have to key the amplifier with the connection you now have through the N8LP relay (I have one too, but I use it to prevent my 87A, my second amplifier, from transmitting when the antenna is tuning.)
>
> Here, I found it on page 20:
>
> <image001.png>
>
> 73, Jim N7US

H. Cary III

Re: N8LP Tuning Relay success

N8LP
Thanks all for the help on this. I receive the Elecraft list in digest
format, so there is a delay in seeing posts. Glad to see you're
operational, Cary.

73,
Larry N8LP