Need Headphone recommendations for K3

David H Weiss
*Hi Gang:*
*
*I have been using a Heil Proset Plus for 5 years and have finally had it
with the pressure that they create on my ears. *
*Changing the ear muffs and cover does not help, not that I expected that
but I did it because I had them.  The CQWW SSB contest was a killer for me
and I am done with them!*
*
*
*I would like some recommendations on a high quality replacement with ear
buds and a high quality mike that works well with the K3.*
*
*
*My research has just begun so any guidance would be appreciated.
*
*
*
*-- 73
Dave  K3FT*

*
*

Re: Need Headphone recommendations for K3

ve3dvy
if you look through the history of the reflector you will find many
recomendations for the Yamaha CM500.   I cant say enough about mine.
 They arent ear buds but  they are light weight and quite comfy
compared to many of the heavier high priced units

They are not expensive  about $50   fairly well built and are quite
light.   they are over the ear   as opposed to on the ear type so  any
presure is against the head and not the ear.   but that pressure is
not much at all.    I wear them for hours on end  with comfort to the
point that I can walk away only to get jerked back because I forgot
they were there.       they work very well with the K3  as many will
tell you.

David Moes
VE3DVY

Mike Reublin
I weighed my Heil ProSet and CM 500 and the Yamaha weighed a tad more. But They are more comfortable than the ProSet.

73, Mike NF4L

On Oct 29, 2012, at 3:56 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> if you look through the history of the reflector you will find many
> recomendations for the Yamaha CM500.   I cant say enough about mine.
> They arent ear buds but  they are light weight and quite comfy
> compared to many of the heavier high priced units
>
> They are not expensive  about $50   fairly well built and are quite
> light.   they are over the ear   as opposed to on the ear type so  any
> presure is against the head and not the ear.   but that pressure is
> not much at all.    I wear them for hours on end  with comfort to the
> point that I can walk away only to get jerked back because I forgot
> they were there.       they work very well with the K3  as many will
> tell you.
>

> David Moes
> VE3DVY

John Shadle
Dave,
I love my Sony MDR-7506 headphones. They are comfortable and not tight
on the head (but are over-the-ear headphones, not earbuds), but the
cushions provide a good "seal" between your listening and the outside
noise. They're also great for listening to music.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR7506-Professional-Diaphragm-Headphone/dp/B000AJIF4E

They're pricey at ~$100 from Amazon (also available other places).
Gold connector and screw-on 1/4" connector (to the 1/8" standard
connector).

I use them along with the Elecraft MD2 microphone. Good combination
for both SSB and CW.

Good luck!
-john

> Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 14:10:56 -0400
> From: Dave Weiss <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [Elecraft] Need Headphone recommendations for K3
> To: [hidden email]
>
> *Hi Gang:*
> *
> *
> *I have been using a Heil Proset Plus for 5 years and have finally had it
> with the pressure that they create on my ears. *
> *Changing the ear muffs and cover does not help, not that I expected that
> but I did it because I had them.  The CQWW SSB contest was a killer for me
> and I am done with them!*
> *
> *
> *I would like some recommendations on a high quality replacement with ear
> buds and a high quality mike that works well with the K3.*
> *
> *
> *My research has just begun so any guidance would be appreciated.
> *
> *
> *
> *-- 73
> Dave  K3FT*

Re: Need Headphone recommendations for K3

Tim Heasman
Hi,

I have both the MDR-7506 headphones and the SB-40 with boom mic.
I found the SB-40 easier to listen to than my 7506 which have too much hf.
My K3 s/n 1245 does not have the audio mod done, so that is part of the
problem.
The 7506 sound very good on my K2 though, must be the analogue circuitry.

73

Tim

gm4lmh

> I love my Sony MDR-7506 headphones. They are comfortable and not tight
> on the head (but are over-the-ear headphones, not earbuds), but the
> cushions provide a good "seal" between your listening and the outside
> noise. They're also great for listening to music.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR7506-Professional-Diaphragm-Headphone/dp/B000AJIF4E
>
> They're pricey at ~$100 from Amazon (also available other places).
> Gold connector and screw-on 1/4" connector (to the 1/8" standard
> connector).
>
> I use them along with the Elecraft MD2 microphone. Good combination
> for both SSB and CW.
>
> Good luck!
> -john

Re: Need Headphone recommendations for K3

Terry Posey
Headphones are a highly personal radio accessory - after all they attach
directly to your body. But, after decades of radio broadcasting and ham
radio use my all time favorite headset is the Senneheiser HD 280 PRO 64-ohm.
That is my recommendation, your mileage will vary.  73, Terry K4RX;

Re: Need Headphone recommendations for K3

Millerhill
Got them on right now and love them.

On Oct 30, 2012, at 5:47 PM, Terry Posey wrote:

> Headphones are a highly personal radio accessory - after all they attach
> directly to your body. But, after decades of radio broadcasting and ham
> radio use my all time favorite headset is the Senneheiser HD 280 PRO 64-ohm.
> That is my recommendation, your mileage will vary.  73, Terry K4RX;

Re: Need Headphone recommendations for K3

W0FK
Dave, the Radiosport headphones/mic combo is fantastic.

http://www.arlancommunications.com/products/amateurRadio/radioSport/Headsets.asp

I was a Heil user for years, but have switched. Not inexpensive by a wide margin (particularly if you load it with the nice extras) but the absolute best I've ever used.

73,

Lou, W0FK

Dave Weiss wrote
*
*I would like some recommendations on a high quality replacement with ear
buds and a high quality mike that works well with the K3.*
*
St. Louis, MO

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that
genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Re: Need Headphone recommendations for K3

Jack Berry
I checked out the link and the Radiosport looks like the David Clarke aviation sets - mic and head phones. Is it just as heavy and clamp as tightly?

73,
Jack

________________________________
Dave, the Radiosport headphones/mic combo is fantastic.

http://www.arlancommunications.com/products/amateurRadio/radioSport/Headsets.asp

I was a Heil user for years, but have switched. Not inexpensive by a wide
margin (particularly if you load it with the nice extras) but the absolute
best I've ever used.

73,

Lou, W0FK

Dave Weiss wrote
> *
> *I would like some recommendations on a high quality replacement with ear
> buds and a high quality mike that works well with the K3.*
> *

-----
St. Louis, MO
K3 #2513, P3 #620, KX3 #0036

Re: Need Headphone recommendations for K3

Jim Brown-10
On 10/30/2012 6:57 PM, Jack Berry wrote:
> I checked out the link and the Radiosport looks like the David Clarke aviation sets - mic and head phones. Is it just as heavy and clamp as tightly?

These are AWFUL headsets for ham radio -- VERY heavy and uncomfortable.
A few guys in our contest club fell for the hype and bought them, and
they hated them.  I tried them on at a meeting and found them very
uncomfortable.  They're also VERY expensive as compared to other much
better headsets.

If you want a headset without a mic, the Sony MDR7506 ("pro") or
consumer equivalent work really well with a K3, and with every other ham
rig I've used them with.  The Yamaha CM500 is equally comfortable and
good sounding, the boom mic sounds great with a K3, and can be bought
for less than $50, shipping included.  .

Re: Need Headphone recommendations for K3

Gary Smith-2
I whole-heartedly vote in for the Bose QC-15, or any of their noise
cancelling mics. What they do to the background noise is the best of
If all the competition and they are incredibly comfortable. I prefer
the kind that completely cover your ears but they do make an on the
ears version that will let outside sounds get through more than the
full cover variety. If you need to have a built in mic, they do make
an avionics set but that's very expensive. Me being a CW op & use a
table mic for my rare SSB, the regular QC-15 headset is just perfect.

Gary KA1J

> *I would like some recommendations on a high quality replacement with ear
> buds and a high quality mike that works well with the K3.*
> *
> *
> *My research has just begun so any guidance would be appreciated.
> *
> *
> *
> *-- 73
> Dave  K3FT*

Re: Need Headphone recommendations for K3

Phil Salas
“If you want a headset without a mic, the Sony MDR7506 ("pro") or consumer
equivalent work really well with a K3, and with every other ham rig I've
used them with. ..”

I totally agree with Jim.  Hard to beat the Sony MDR7506 headphones.

Phil – AD5X

Re: Need Headphone recommendations for K3

Mark Stennett
I prefer the Sony MDR-V6. Same as the 7506 but a little less bright
sounding.

73 de na6m

“If you want a headset without a mic, the Sony MDR7506 ("pro") or consumer
 equivalent work really well with a K3, and with every other ham rig I've
 used them with. ..”

 I totally agree with Jim.  Hard to beat the Sony MDR7506 headphones.

 Phil – AD5X

 This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net [http://www.qsl.net/]
[http://www.qsl.net/donate.html]

Re: Need Headphone recommendations for K3

N4OI - Ken
You should consider the JRC ST-3 headphones.  I have used mine for about 15 years as an SWL and ham -- most recently with my new K3.  I do not need to adjust the volume when switching from speaker to headphones (except for the CW sidetone) and the comfort and ability to hear both weak and strong signals are perfect for me.  Here is a link to the eHam reviews:

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/404

73 ES GOD BLESS U ES URS DE KEN N4OI

Re: Need Headphone recommendations for K3

Barry N1EU
Dave Weiss wrote
*I would like some recommendations on a high quality replacement with ear
buds and a high quality mike that works well with the K3.*
*
I'm not sure if you really meant "ear buds".  If you meant "ear phones", by far the highest quality headset I've ever used, in terms of construction quality, comfort and tx/rx audio quality, is the Beyerdynamic DT-109.

73,
Barry N1EU

Re: Need Headphone recommendations for K3

Keith Heimbold
I use some $30 skull candy ear buds with my KX3 for receiving only and they work great. Very sensitive. I would use them with the K3 but I like having the microphone built in so I am using a Yamaha MDE-100 and they work great. Very light on my head and as one person mentioned about another similar Yamaha headset you will forget they are on and I have almost pulled my K3 from my desk many times.

I have both the Heil proset 4 & 5 and because of ear pain have almost completely transitioned to the Yamaha headset.

Keith
AK6ZZ (formerly AG6AZ)

Sent from my iPhone please excuse typos

On Nov 1, 2012, at 4:36 AM, "Barry N1EU" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dave Weiss wrote
>> *I would like some recommendations on a high quality replacement with ear
>> buds and a high quality mike that works well with the K3.*
>> *
>
> I'm not sure if you really meant "ear buds".  If you meant "ear phones", by
> far the highest quality headset I've ever used, in terms of construction
> quality, comfort and tx/rx audio quality, is the Beyerdynamic DT-109.
>
> 73,
> Barry N1EU

Re: Need Headphone recommendations for K3

Rick McGaver
I purchased a pair of KOSS SB-40's. A local DX'er and K3'er, K9GS
recommended these. He brought them over at one of our meetings and I gave
them a whirl and liked them so I bought my own. I personally like them as my
hearing is not the best and the boom mic gets good reports as I work mostly
DX. And they have a Lifetime Warranty!
I give them a look...
Rick  NK 9G
>I use some $30 skull candy ear buds with my KX3 for receiving only and they
>work great. Very sensitive. I would use them with the K3 but I like having
>the microphone built in so I am using a Yamaha MDE-100 and they work great.
>Very light on my head and as one person mentioned about another similar
>Yamaha headset you will forget they are on and I have almost pulled my K3
>from my desk many times.
>
> I have both the Heil proset 4 & 5 and because of ear pain have almost
> completely transitioned to the Yamaha headset.
>
> Keith
> AK6ZZ (formerly AG6AZ)
>
> Sent from my iPhone please excuse typos
>
> On Nov 1, 2012, at 4:36 AM, "Barry N1EU" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Dave Weiss wrote
>>> *I would like some recommendations on a high quality replacement with
>>> ear
>>> buds and a high quality mike that works well with the K3.*
>>> *
>>
>> I'm not sure if you really meant "ear buds".  If you meant "ear phones",
>> by
>> far the highest quality headset I've ever used, in terms of construction
>> quality, comfort and tx/rx audio quality, is the Beyerdynamic DT-109.
>>
>> 73,
>> Barry N1EU

Re: Need Headphone recommendations for K3

W0FK
As another has pointed out, headphones/mics are very personal and subjective.

I love my Radiosport headphones. They are sold, well made, and both feel and sound great. I purchased the gel earpads with cloth covers and the soft headband cover, and can wear them for very long stretches. I get excellent audio reports as well. I tried the widely acclaimed CM500's and found them cheaply made and uncomfortable.

Different strokes....

73,

Lou, W0FK

Jim Brown-10 wrote
These are AWFUL headsets for ham radio -- VERY heavy and uncomfortable.
A few guys in our contest club fell for the hype and bought them, and
they hated them.  I tried them on at a meeting and found them very
uncomfortable.  They're also VERY expensive as compared to other much
better headsets.

***

The Yamaha CM500 is equally comfortable and
good sounding, the boom mic sounds great with a K3, and can be bought
for less than $50, shipping included.  .

73, Jim K9YC
St. Louis, MO

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that
genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Re: Need Headphone recommendations for K3

w8fn
I quite agree. I have a RS20 headset with the same "Dream" options and
it's the best headset I've ever used by a substantial margin. We'll see
just how good they are for long sessions after 24 hours of Sweepstakes
this weekend.

73...
Randy, W8FN