Need local help

Michael Rudolph
I live in the Washington DC area and am willing to drive  to anyone's location who can demonstrate how to hook up and use my KX3 for psk31 and CW.

I would like to use my WINBOOK tablet instead of a laptop if possible.  It has a USB port but no mic input.  I succeeded in connecting the KX3 to the tablet but that is as far as I have gotten except that I can send code via the utility program and decode CW (albeit very badly) via Ham Radio Deluxe.

Michael

Michael Rudolph
N3IRT

Re: Need local help

David Pratt
Michael - You don't need a computer to send and decode PSK31 and CW.
Provision for decoding and sending PSK31 and CW are already built into
the KX3 firmware. All you need to do is to plug a paddle into your KX3
and set up the menu accordingly and you're away.

73 de David G4DMP

On 09/06/2015 04:59, Michael Rudolph wrote:
> I live in the Washington DC area and am willing to drive  to anyone's location who can demonstrate how to hook up and use my KX3 for psk31 and CW.
>
> I would like to use my WINBOOK tablet instead of a laptop if possible.  It has a USB port but no mic input.  I succeeded in connecting the KX3 to the tablet but that is as far as I have gotten except that I can send code via the utility program and decode CW (albeit very badly) via Ham Radio Deluxe.

Re: Need local help

Michael Rudolph
David - I knew that the possibility existed, but believe that without a
computer the incoming message simply scrolls and cannot be saved.  Anyway, I
do not know how to set that up either.  I looked in the User's Guide and the
Cady book, and did not find step-by-step instructions that I could follow.
So here are my follow-up questions:

1. Can you or someone provide me with the exact menu settings and procedure
for decoding CW and PSK31 entirely from the KX3?

2. I believe I still need local help where I can actually see someone
operating in PSK31 using a computer and Ham Radio Deluxe, so is there anyone
within 100 miles of Washington DC that can invite me?

73,
Michael N3IRT

Michael - You don't need a computer to send and decode PSK31 and CW.
Provision for decoding and sending PSK31 and CW are already built into the
KX3 firmware. All you need to do is to plug a paddle into your KX3 and set
up the menu accordingly and you're away.

73 de David G4DMP

On 09/06/2015 04:59, Michael Rudolph wrote:
> I live in the Washington DC area and am willing to drive  to anyone's
location who can demonstrate how to hook up and use my KX3 for psk31 and CW.

> I would like to use my WINBOOK tablet instead of a laptop if possible.  It
has a USB port but no mic input.  I succeeded in connecting the KX3 to the
tablet but that is as far as I have gotten except that I can send code via
the utility program and decode CW (albeit very badly) via Ham Radio Deluxe.

Re: Need local help

Frank Krozel
Maybe via Skype anyone?
Frank KG9H

> On Jun 9, 2015, at 6:04 AM, Michael Rudolph <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> David - I knew that the possibility existed, but believe that without a
> computer the incoming message simply scrolls and cannot be saved.  Anyway, I
> do not know how to set that up either.  I looked in the User's Guide and the
> Cady book, and did not find step-by-step instructions that I could follow.
> So here are my follow-up questions:
>
> 1. Can you or someone provide me with the exact menu settings and procedure
> for decoding CW and PSK31 entirely from the KX3?
>
> 2. I believe I still need local help where I can actually see someone
> operating in PSK31 using a computer and Ham Radio Deluxe, so is there anyone
> within 100 miles of Washington DC that can invite me?
>
> 73,
> Michael N3IRT

Bob N3MNT
This post was updated on .
If you want to use a program on the computer you need to add an interface.  I use and recommend this a signalink   http://www.tigertronics.com/  The have an interface cable for the KX3 that makes the operation seamless.

Re: Need local help

Bob N3MNT
Darn old brain  make that use not sue.

Re: Need local help

Hank Garretson
On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 6:52 AM, Bob N3MNT <[hidden email]> wrote:

If you want to use a program on the computer you need to add an interface.
> use and recommend this a signalink   http://www.tigertronics.com/  The
> have
> an interface cable for the KX3 that makes the operation seamless.

You do not need an interface. All you need is audio cables between your
computer soundcard and rig.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/HamInterfacing.pdf

Interfaces are sometimes plug and play and an easy solution. Other times
they are an exasperating pain to get working.

In any case I suggest trying the no-cost approach first. Audio cables are
all I've ever used.  Good for over 50,000 digital contacts since 2006.

73,

Hank, W6SX

Re: Need local help

Raymond Sills
I'd have to agree.  The Tigertronics unit is a simple and easy way for
older rigs to be able to operate in digital modes.  But the Elecraft
K3 and KX3 have a state-of-the-art DSP architecture, and all you need
to do is connect the proper cables between the rig and your computer.
Elecraft sells cables for the job.

73 de Ray
K2ULR
KX3 #211

On Jun 9, 2015, at 10:40 AM, Walter Underwood wrote:

> You do not need an interface. If you do want outboard USB audio, you
> can do a lot better than Tigertronics for less money. But for most
> uses, the audio built into the computer is just fine.
>
> More detail here:
>
> http://audiosystemsgroup.com/USB_Interfaces.pdf
>
> wunder
> K6WRU
> CM87wj
> http://observer.wunderwood.org/ (my blog)

Re: Need local help

Raymond Sills
ARGH!  I missed that, too.  Certainly, a simple USB audio dongle can
be found on the big retail site, or the big auction site.

73 de Ray
K2ULR
KX3 #211

On Jun 9, 2015, at 11:47 AM, Walter Underwood wrote:

> Oops, I missed that this computer doesn’t have a mic input (original
> post was not quoted).
>
> Any old $20 USB audio dongle will probably do just as well as the
> Tigertronics.
>
> wunder
> K6WRU
> CM87wj
> http://observer.wunderwood.org/ (my blog)

Re: Need local help

Bob N3MNT
OP said computer did not have an audio input.

Re: Need local help

Jim AB3CV
http://audiosystemsgroup.com/USB_Interfaces.pdf

jim ab3cv

On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 12:02 PM, Bob N3MNT <[hidden email]> wrote:

> OP said computer did not have an audio input.

Re: Need local help

Barry K3NDM
Walter,
      The SignaLink not only has a built in sound card, but it also
controls the radio's PTT function. Yes, you can use VOX, but this plays
a little less clunky. You can also use the KX3's built in abilities, but
using an external interface with multimode  software, allows for greater
flexibility.

73,
Barry
K3NDM

On 6/9/2015 10:40 AM, Walter Underwood wrote:

> You do not need an interface. If you do want outboard USB audio, you can do a lot better than Tigertronics for less money. But for most uses, the audio built into the computer is just fine.
>
> More detail here:
>
> http://audiosystemsgroup.com/USB_Interfaces.pdf
>
> wunder
> K6WRU
> CM87wj
> http://observer.wunderwood.org/ (my blog)
>
> On Jun 9, 2015, at 6:52 AM, Bob N3MNT <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> If you want to use a program on the computer you need to add an interface.  I
>> sue and recommend this a signalink   http://www.tigertronics.com/  The have
>> an interface cable for the KX3 that makes the operation seamless.

Re: Need local help

Jim Brown-10
On Tue,6/9/2015 9:23 AM, Barry LaZar wrote:
> The SignaLink not only has a built in sound card, but it also controls
> the radio's PTT function. Yes, you can use VOX, but this plays a
> little less clunky.

There is nothing "clunky" about using VOX for PTT. I've made many
thousands of digital contacts, and I've used nothing but VOX.

The SignaLink is NOT a good sound card. See the link posted by others to
my website for GOOD sound cards.

Re: Need local help

On 2015-06-09 12:02 PM, Bob N3MNT wrote:
> OP said computer did not have an audio input.

He's still better off with an external USB sound card of reasonable
quality and a pair of audio cables than using the Tigertronix product
of dubious quality and well documented poor design.  A simple USB sound
card of reasonable quality will cost 1/3 to 1/2 as much as the inferior
"amateur" product.

Re: Need local help

Barry K3NDM
Jim,
      The SignaLink sound card is quite adequate for running digital
modes on HF, and it appears to be better than the one in my Toshiba
Satellite laptop. However, I do use a professional level USB card for my
panadapter which is far more demanding. And, PTT is less clunky if
you're not knowledgeable enough  to set VOX properly.

     There are some secondary, subtle, issues with running using the
built in software for RTTY, CW, and PSK on the KX3. Those are you can't
run the other modes should you desire and you can't see multiple streams
of data simultaneously which is very useful if you looking for picking
up awards.

     Using an external sound card frees up your computer sound card for
other things while you demod/decode digital signals. For the cost of a
SignaLink USB, or equivalent for about $100, you open up a layer or two
of additional flexibility. My interface is permanently in my KX3 audio
line with my amplified speakers coming off the Aux. on the back of the
I/F. I can switch modes by just invoking  data a mode on the KX3 and
replacing my mic with the cable from my interface.

     I interpret  what you are saying as being heavily biased toward
operating on the digital modes. That's OK, but I use CW and phone as
much if not more. So, I designed my station for ease of mode switching
and maximum performance.

Vy 73,
Barry
K3NDM

On 6/9/2015 12:35 PM, Jim Brown wrote:

> On Tue,6/9/2015 9:23 AM, Barry LaZar wrote:
>> The SignaLink not only has a built in sound card, but it also
>> controls the radio's PTT function. Yes, you can use VOX, but this
>> plays a little less clunky.
>
> There is nothing "clunky" about using VOX for PTT. I've made many
> thousands of digital contacts, and I've used nothing but VOX.
>
> The SignaLink is NOT a good sound card. See the link posted by others
> to my website for GOOD sound cards.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

Re: Need local help

Barry K3NDM
Joe,
     You bring an interesting point of view. I've been using a SignaLink
USB for at least 3-4 years. I haven't had an issue with it except not
enough time to play. And, I can't blame the manufacturer for that.

     I think there is one point that is overlooked in a lot of these
discussions. It really doesn't take much of a sound card to do digital
signal processing on 3 KHz or less audio streram. However, I would never
use a card in my laptop or my I/F for some of the heavier lifting here
in my shack where I need 96KHz sample rates or better with 24 bit
digitizing. But for just hook it up, set the levels and go, an interface
with a built in sound card is not a bad way to go. In many cases, it is
just easier to do and it allows for more flexibility.

73,
Barry
K3NDM

> On 2015-06-09 12:02 PM, Bob N3MNT wrote:
>> OP said computer did not have an audio input.
>
> He's still better off with an external USB sound card of reasonable
> quality and a pair of audio cables than using the Tigertronix product
> of dubious quality and well documented poor design.  A simple USB sound
> card of reasonable quality will cost 1/3 to 1/2 as much as the inferior
> "amateur" product.
>
> 73,
>
>    ... Joe, W4TV

Re: Need local help

Yes, the SignaLink is 'adequate', but if you care to reduce the received
noise floor and copy weaker digital signals, you will want something better.

Many of the software digital mode applications provide a means to
control transmit by means of a control command to the transceiver.
That eliminates the need for a hardwired PTT connection.  VOX is not
difficult to set up for data modes because the audio stream is a steady
level and not contaminated with room noise like you would find with
using a microphone for voice modes.
The SignaLink uses 'sort of' a simple VOX circuit to produce its PTT
output, so why not just use the transceiver VOX instead, it is there in
the KX3.

While many use the SignaLink for digital modes, all I can say is that
"it works".  A USB external soundcard works much better and for only
about half the cost.
Of course, you will be using only the left channel of the soundcard, but
that soundcard can be used for other purposes.  The SignaLink has only
one channel, and cannot be used as a normal soundcard with stereo channels.

On 6/9/2015 3:43 PM, Barry LaZar wrote:
> Jim,
>      The SignaLink sound card is quite adequate for running digital
> modes on HF, and it appears to be better than the one in my Toshiba
> Satellite laptop. However, I do use a professional level USB card for
> my panadapter which is far more demanding. And, PTT is less clunky if
> you're not knowledgeable enough  to set VOX properly.

Re: Need local help

Bill Frantz
I have used three interfaces for digital. Note that my MacBook
Pro can't listen and talk over its audio connector at the same time.

The first interface I used was a SignaLink. It was easy to set
up. It works with the stock drivers on both MacOS and Linux.
Making cables for it was easy. It has an internal VOX so you can
key the transmitter without turning the radio's VOX on. (Both
the K3 and the KX3 have only one VOX setting for both voice
modes and digital. I use push-to-talk for voice modes so random
shack noise doesn't trigger the transmitter. Remembering to
switch it on and off is a PITA since I sometimes change modes
several times in an evening.)

I have a Tascam US-122 mkII interface. It does the best job.
With the SignaLink I had to compromise between enough
sensitivity for weak PSK stations and enough head room for the
strong ones. I was always riding the RF volume control. The
Tascam has enough dynamic range. However, it requires a special
driver, so I can't use it on my Linux box. Works fine with MacOS
and will be the interface I use for field day this year.

I have a $3-$5 interface that I added to an Amazon order on
impulse. I have never gotten it to work well with the KX3. I
think I need to build an attenuator. It works with the stock
drivers on MacOS and Linux.

On 6/9/15 at 8:47 AM, [hidden email] (Walter Underwood) wrote:

>Any old $20 USB audio dongle will probably do just as well as the Tigertronics.

Re: Need local help

> I think there is one point that is overlooked in a lot of these
> discussions. It really doesn't take much of a sound card to do
> digital signal processing on 3 KHz or less audio streram.

There are a significant number of reports concerning the issues with
Signalink on-line if one bothers to look.  In general they relate to
improper filtering of the USB +5V power, lack of a regulator for the
V/2 reference to the sound codec (analog to digital converter), lack
of proper bypassing of noise from the various chips, requirement that
the digital to analog converter be run at too high a level in order
for the "VOX" to trigger reliably, etc.

In general, this means Signalink loses 15 dB or more of signal to
noise ratio (which is a big deal with modes like JT65 and JT9 on HF)
on the receive side and is much more "dirty" (often with multiple
audio signals) on transmit.

You're correct that it does not take much of a sound card to decode
some signals.  However, the Signalink "sound card" contains most of
the same components as the generic USB sound products that perform
much better - yet Signalink costs two to three times as much.

On 2015-06-09 3:59 PM, Barry LaZar wrote:

> Joe,
>      You bring an interesting point of view. I've been using a SignaLink
> USB for at least 3-4 years. I haven't had an issue with it except not
> enough time to play. And, I can't blame the manufacturer for that.
>
>      I think there is one point that is overlooked in a lot of these
> discussions. It really doesn't take much of a sound card to do digital
> signal processing on 3 KHz or less audio streram. However, I would never
> use a card in my laptop or my I/F for some of the heavier lifting here
> in my shack where I need 96KHz sample rates or better with 24 bit
> digitizing. But for just hook it up, set the levels and go, an interface
> with a built in sound card is not a bad way to go. In many cases, it is
> just easier to do and it allows for more flexibility.
>
> 73,
> Barry
> K3NDM
>
> On 6/9/2015 3:11 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
>>
>> On 2015-06-09 12:02 PM, Bob N3MNT wrote:
>>> OP said computer did not have an audio input.
>>
>> He's still better off with an external USB sound card of reasonable
>> quality and a pair of audio cables than using the Tigertronix product
>> of dubious quality and well documented poor design.  A simple USB sound
>> card of reasonable quality will cost 1/3 to 1/2 as much as the inferior
>> "amateur" product.
>>
>> 73,
>>
>>    ... Joe, W4TV

Re: Need local help

David Ahrendts
Gentlemen, suggest some alternatives to the SignalLink USB for digital. Would like to research.

David A., KC0XT

David Ahrendts   [hidden email]